Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Baal posted:

Literally everyone who has pitched Summer Wars to me tries to make it out like it invalidates OWG and that is the worst way to pitch something to someone.

"Hey stop watching that thing you like because he made the exact same thing so you never have to watch this again"

Like why would you do that
Watch both so that you can enjoy the crossover art.

They have a similar premise though they both have different strengths. Digimon already comes with the whole digital world baggage, so the silly premise of the movie is a lot easier to swallow. On the other hand, while Summer Wars has to stretch pretty far to put the fate of the world in the hands of an 80 year old matriarch's family get-together, the way everyone comes together to make a stand works a lot better.

And King Kaz just edges out Flamedramon for my favorite animal mascot thing, probably because his kid is a chill dude and not Davis.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tbf most of me not watching Summer Wars is just plain forgetfulness

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The Izzy/Koushiro's friend who they said was Willis was actually just some kid who was never mentioned again. And there's no virus, Diaboromon is just an rear end in a top hat that was born on the web out of nowhere.

I'd still recommend watching it in Japanese too. It's largely the same but the atmosphere is different. On one hand, the original is probably an overall better experience. On the other hand, the scene when Omnimon forms and it starts playing Let's Kick it Up is awesome. In the original it makes it seem like some miracle, while the dub makes it's like "oh hell yeah, let's gently caress poo poo up"

I dunno, right off the bat the american version seems more complete (as in explaining what the gently caress is Diaboromon's deal). I'll need to see the original version to see how it holds up, of course. Thanks.

Also holy poo poo, these are a fuckton of Veemons

Is he the digimon with the most variants/evolutions?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I dunno, right off the bat the american version seems more complete (as in explaining what the gently caress is Diaboromon's deal). I'll need to see the original version to see how it holds up, of course. Thanks.

Agumon's gotta be pretty close. They've both been the main character's partner many times and have picked up a lot of cruft over the years.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
Agumon/Greymon undoubtedly have the most.

This chart's even missing a bunch!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's absolutely nothing that suggests Gaossmon evolves into XW Greymon. The thing is meant to be more Blue Flare's answer to the Starmons, being the "boss" of their minor soldiers, the Bombmon like Starmon is to the Pickmons.

They barely show up in the anime of course; both of them are only featured prominently in the Super Digica Taisen arcade machines.

Also I'm not sure why that chart treats Vritramon and KaiserGreymon as Agumon evolutions instead of just being inspired by them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's absolutely nothing that suggests Gaossmon evolves into XW Greymon. The thing is meant to be more Blue Flare's answer to the Starmons, being the "boss" of their minor soldiers, the Bombmon like Starmon is to the Pickmons.

They barely show up in the anime of course; both of them are only featured prominently in the Super Digica Taisen arcade machines.

Also I'm not sure why that chart treats Vritramon and KaiserGreymon as Agumon evolutions instead of just being inspired by them.

At least KaiserGreymon has the Greymon name, so the lineage COULD check out in some convoluted way.

Vritramon is a whole other thing

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While that chart makes no sense for reasons already said, there are quite a few Greymons.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

While that chart makes no sense for reasons already said, there are quite a few Greymons.

I have no issues with that, Greymon is loving awesome :colbert:

Garurumon in comparison has gotten the short end of the stick.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I have no issues with that, Greymon is loving awesome :colbert:

Garurumon in comparison has gotten the short end of the stick.

weregarurumon X and MetalGarurumon X are still freaking awesome looking. Most X type digimon don't look like they fit In.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Whoever designed Garurumon X needs a serious talking to.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ophanimon can remove her helmet? :psyduck:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Only the male Angemon line has a mystery about their eyes going on.

Angewomon is clearly shown to have blue eyes in her Digivolution.

Male Angemon line on the flip side never show what they look like- even if you got the toy of Magna Angemon and removed the mask his eyes are blank. The closest you have is the moment before his mask forms in the anime, when he has pitch black voids for eyes.

Which who knows maybe that's what they look like!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It always bugged me that Veemon is about a quarter of the Royal Knights, but that group is kind of a patchwork already.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I like the idea that the helmets are just part of their heads better. It makes them much more inhuman and fitting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TFRazorsaw posted:

Something to remember is that what Digimon can evolve into what other Digimon is something that's always changing and expanding(and theoretically any Digimon can become any other one), bet you if the XW Digimon ever get given proper levels, Gaossmon will probably be able to evolve into Greymon XW, and indeed will probably be given lines connecting it to the rest of Blue Flare's Digimon as well

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Something to remember is that what Digimon can evolve into what other Digimon is something that's always changing and expanding(and theoretically any Digimon can become any other one), bet you if the XW Digimon ever get given proper levels, Gaossmon will probably be able to evolve into Greymon XW, and indeed will probably be given lines connecting it to the rest of Blue Flare's Digimon as well

Several XW Digimon have already been given levels, actually. That said, the only one I can remember having an evolution line is Baalmon, who's a Perfect level that evolves from Wizarmon and evolves into the original Beelzebumon, fittingly considering he becomes the XW version in the anime. There's probably more, but I can't remember them, anyone with more knowledge of Crusader/Heroes should show it.

Oddly enough, the revival of the first card game puts XW Beelzebumon as a Perfect level himself, in spite of the original being a level higher. Amusingly, between its abilities is "When facing Lilithmon, add 600 to your attack power".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Diablomon's explanation in the original OWG was it was just data that formed into an egg and hatched, and its destruction was the destruction of something with no moral compass, it was a child, it just ate and ate and ate to grow, and it was mentally just a child. The premise of OWG was the idea of a virus that people from around the world would band together to combat by trading information and knowledge, which Masaru is in love with as a concept, it's why the episode of Adventures that he directed was one set in the real world with little action.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I felt like a baby for having a hard time with XW, but the lack of a proper level system kind of turned me off. The first few episodes didn't really sell me much either.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I felt like a baby for having a hard time with XW, but the lack of a proper level system kind of turned me off. The first few episodes didn't really sell me much either.

Xros Wars is a good series but yeah, Digi Cross is loving retarded.

Geostomp posted:

I like the idea that the helmets are just part of their heads better. It makes them much more inhuman and fitting.

Now I can't help but wonder how the gently caress Seraphimon or Magnamon are supposed to eat.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/BantyoTitania/status/704701202806808576

We've come a long way

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, original for the manga I guess. The actual original designs from the virtual pets are the ones still used today.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What's the kangaroo thing (bottom-right) and the angel looking monster (bottom left)?

Veemon is still my favorite Digimon.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I just noticed that the picture's missing HoneyBeemon, the best armor.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dexie posted:

What's the kangaroo thing (bottom-right) and the angel looking monster (bottom left)?

Veemon is still my favorite Digimon.

Kangarumon and Gargomon

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Rudoku posted:

I just noticed that the picture's missing HoneyBeemon, the best armor.

Of Veemon's armor evolutions, maybe. The Egg of Kindness kind of sucks for everyone except for Armadillomon, who turns into a Chameleon for some reason.

EDIT: Whoops. Honeybeemon is from Knowledge, but I stand by my claim.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
First 10 minutes of Ketsui/Determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN4IfNxUHls

I love everything.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

vivisecting posted:

First 10 minutes of Ketsui/Determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN4IfNxUHls

I love everything.

Do we know when CrunchyRoll is streaming it this time?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They did only announce they were doing it the night before, so I don't expect any schedule announcement 'till next thursday night. Though it'll probably be up the exact same hour as last time.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, new digimons to be added to Cyber Sleuth in March 10

Savers Burst Modes

Valkyrimon

Motherfucking Chaosmon and DarkDramon :stare:

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Do we know when CrunchyRoll is streaming it this time?

The most we have is a couple of tweets saying "next weekend" ... no specific time or date yet.

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/706540156950425600

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

I mean that's cool and all but i would have appreciated it way more if the Burst Modes were available when the game had come out. I already beat it a while ago and completely steamrolled every final boss and optional encounter so I don't really have any motivation to go back to it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
lovely Quality TV ad for Ketsui

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFxLANsPKwQ

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man, I didn't knew they added so many digimons to Decode (the yellow ones)

:stare:

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

Crunchyroll will have Ketsui/Determination available March 11th (this Friday!) at 8am PST:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-943149/

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

and it's up.

GUESS WHO DIED AGAIN.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TFRazorsaw posted:

and it's up.

GUESS WHO DIED AGAIN.

I'm just sitting here on my desk waiting for my shift to end, the episodes are all loaded up and my boss left for a meeting without giving me any assignment so i'm literally doing nothing and it's so tempting not to watch at work.

Also glossed on hte spoiler by accident and honestly that just gave me a good-rear end chuckle to tide me over the next few hours. OF COURSE that happened.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

but in all seriousness

He died in the real world, like Wizarmon. He's not being reborn this time.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

TFRazorsaw posted:

but in all seriousness

He died in the real world, like Wizarmon. He's not being reborn this time.

Yup, he done dead for good. Though I really wish they would have went with the Saberleomon route if he was actually infected.2 on 1 turns in to a 2 on 2. Ah well, only so much time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eh, he was reborn. He needed to work his way back up to reach that form I suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TFRazorsaw posted:

and it's up.

GUESS WHO DIED AGAIN.

Again, is that even a spoiler by this point in the franchise?