Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Always watch his teardowns, they're so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Anyone bought one of these?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-AirStrike-18-Gauge-Cordless-Brad-Nailer-Tool-Only-P320/203810823

On sale for 129.99+tax this week

I dont have a compressor and this would be the cheapest option for a finish nailer

I love mine. It's amazingly convenient.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

coathat posted:

I love mine. It's amazingly convenient.

Yep I have one too. Redid my china cabinet using it extensively and it was fantastic. It gets consistently good reviews as well.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The Atlantic of all places reviewed a Stihl 36v leaf blower that is apparently stupid quiet but effective. Being the Atlantic I trust them for economic think pieces but not tool reviews. Anyone seen one in use?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Looks like Milwaukee just announced their cordless finish nailers, which look nice but are pretty pricey ($350 for the bare tool). I have ridgid stuff and I thought their nailers were too expensive.

Hopefully prices come down in the next year or two as I'd really like to get one. I avoid getting my nailers out half time and just hand nail or screw because I don't want to get my 50# compressor out of the garage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Any opinions on fiber cement sawblades vs. those shearing attachments you can get for drills? The latter are about 2x as expensive and apparently don't produce as clean of a cut as the former, but it seems like dust production would be a lot lower. How bad is the cut from shears?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any opinions on fiber cement sawblades vs. those shearing attachments you can get for drills? The latter are about 2x as expensive and apparently don't produce as clean of a cut as the former, but it seems like dust production would be a lot lower. How bad is the cut from shears?

I've used an older version of those turbo shears extensively at work. For certain things they are indispensable. We had to cut a lot of circular 8 inch holes in spiral duct trunk lines hung 20 feet in the air and those turbo shears make easy as poo poo compared to any other tool. I wouldn't get them for cutting pieces of duct to size (a sawzall works fine) but for stuff like I mentioned turbo shears all the way . The cut isn't super rough once you get accustomed to them but it isn't any cleaner than you would get using hand snips.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BraveUlysses posted:

I dont have a compressor and this would be the cheapest option for a finish nailer

Compressor + nailer combos pop up fairly often on Amazon Warehouse. I recently bought a Bostitch air compressor + brad gun for $98 to my door, it has a small scratch on the side.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00HH1H7ME/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

rally posted:

I've used an older version of those turbo shears extensively at work. For certain things they are indispensable. We had to cut a lot of circular 8 inch holes in spiral duct trunk lines hung 20 feet in the air and those turbo shears make easy as poo poo compared to any other tool. I wouldn't get them for cutting pieces of duct to size (a sawzall works fine) but for stuff like I mentioned turbo shears all the way . The cut isn't super rough once you get accustomed to them but it isn't any cleaner than you would get using hand snips.

It sounds like you're talking about a tool for cutting sheet metal, while the ones I'm looking at are intended for cutting fiber cement boards (e.g. for use in siding).

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My neighbor has offered to give me his 40+ year old craftsman radial arm saw. I'm currently trying to figure out where to put it, but I would be foolish to pass that up, correct?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

AFewBricksShy posted:

My neighbor has offered to give me his 40+ year old craftsman radial arm saw. I'm currently trying to figure out where to put it, but I would be foolish to pass that up, correct?
Correct, a good quality RAS is pretty versatile tool.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Plus, free tools is free tools.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Plus, free tools is free tools.
This. That very saw was the workhorse of the family garage growing up, and I only recently got rid of it after my dad passed it along to me. I wouldn't say it's great at anything (except cutting big dados), but it's good enough for many, many things.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

AFewBricksShy posted:

It's worth at least 100$ :dance:, I actually got a retrofit kit for mine like five or ten years ago but those are probably long gone.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I bought the Snapper powered shears after giving up on saw blades. The dust got everywhere and we got tired of wearing dust protection on hot summer days. One side of the shear did leave a mark, so we always put it on the cut off piece, other then that they were great. 10/10 would buy again. Oh! Use a cheap combo square as a guide to ensure straight cuts. Otherwise they like to walk. After ~100 cuts we had it figured out enough we stopped using it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

AFewBricksShy posted:

I can't seem to give away the 1948 Dewalt MMB I have to friends/neighbors. It even has a brand new Freud 9" blade.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

the spyder posted:

I bought the Snapper powered shears after giving up on saw blades. The dust got everywhere and we got tired of wearing dust protection on hot summer days. One side of the shear did leave a mark, so we always put it on the cut off piece, other then that they were great. 10/10 would buy again. Oh! Use a cheap combo square as a guide to ensure straight cuts. Otherwise they like to walk. After ~100 cuts we had it figured out enough we stopped using it.

Good to know, thanks! It's looking like I'll probably end up going with Hardie boards for siding for my workshop project, and yeah, I was looking at all the dust that the saw-based options produced. Given the choice between a $40 special sawblade that still makes a ton of dust, and a $120 pair of powered shears that doesn't, I'll go with the shears. Especially since I can't easily run more than one device at a time since I have to run an extension cord out from the house to get power.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

PPE! I guess it kind of falls under tools.

Tired of using the cruddy orange foam earplugs, I got the Etymotic dealies. Surprisingly comfortable. Only like 15 dB of noise reduction, but that's pretty okay for my shop. Mostly to just cut down on hums and saws and stuff. I also have to be able to hear what people are saying. Since I go in and out of offices, too, I have to be able to take them in and out of my ears repeatedly. That's where the long stem on these come in handy. Never really gets too crazy loud in the shop. And $10 for something I'm gonna use every day is nothing. The corded purple ones that I see everywhere just don't work out too well for me. They don't feel good in my ear and they cut a lot more noise than I think I need.

My respirator kicked the bucket a little while back, and tired of the cruddy white paper face masks, I got myself a proper respirator again. A 3M 6000 and the flat disk, fabric looking filters. The mask itself is kinda snug. I probably should've gotten a large instead of medium. But it works so much better than the white face masks at keeping my snot green. Seeing black snot is pretty great motivation to get a real respirator. Maybe I'm just poo poo at sealing those things, but whatever. They fog up my glasses anyway.

I also got some shade #5 glasses/goggles so I can look towards the plasma machine and not hurt my eyes. The #3 shades, while better than burning my eyeballs directly, were a bit underpowered if I was going to be looking any longer than like 2 seconds. Something like this, except 3m, and more goggley than glasses-like.

I got the earplugs on Amazon, and the other things I got from the welding shop near me, surprisingly at pretty much the same prices online. But I don't mind shelling out for PPE. I get all sorts of different gloves, too. I'll try anything, honestly. Still haven't settled on something that I like. I'm probably just looking for some perfect unicorn of a glove that doesn't exist.

And really, the biggest question, is why the hell it's so common for blue collar guys to just not wear any protective equipment if given the choice. Hasn't everyone seen enough of the old timers who can't hear poo poo, pick up anything, see anything, breathe, to know that that poo poo isn't a joke?

E: To be fair, I am sort of making progress with getting my coworkers to wear their poo poo.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 7, 2016

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
At "I need #5 because #3 ain't cutting it", what kind of sunburn are you looking at?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rotten Cookies posted:

PPE! I guess it kind of falls under tools.

And really, the biggest question, is why the hell it's so common for blue collar guys to just not wear any protective equipment if given the choice. Hasn't everyone seen enough of the old timers who can't hear poo poo, pick up anything, see anything, breathe, to know that that poo poo isn't a joke?

E: To be fair, I am sort of making progress with getting my coworkers to wear their poo poo.

They think protection is sissy stuff. Tell them to ask all the painters I knew who did lacquer-based nitrocellulose in the 70's and 80's without any breathing protection. That's right, they can't, cause those guys are all either dead or pretty much vegged out.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

At "I need #5 because #3 ain't cutting it", what kind of sunburn are you looking at?

Eh, I'm usually standing like 10 feet away from the arc with one of those UV panels/spark shields between the table and myself. Still, when a piece of the work drops out and you see a all of the arc, or when it first pierces at a higher point, you see a bit more of the arc, and even without the UV it's pretty bright. I don't think I should be getting sunburn from that, but I may be wrong.

MrPete
May 17, 2007
Regarding PPE, I just picked up a pair of sensgard ear chambers recently. So far I like them! They work a bit better when I'm outside wearing a hat than the big ear defenders I normally use. Added bonus, way less sweaty ears.

Tried some foam earplugs but guaranteed, every loving time I'd put a pair in some assclown would call or drop by wanting to talk to me. Then I'd have to take the foamies out, ask so and so to repeat what they said, deal with their poo poo then go grab another pair and re-insert (because the originals would roll off the clean spot I put them and into the dirt).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

AFewBricksShy posted:

Eh, radial arm saws are dangerous tools with a design prone to kickback. There's not much they do that can't be done better by another saw... There's a reason you don't see them around so much anymore.

I used to have an old craftsman one myself because of space concerns, and I did get a free retrofit kit/table because that model had been recalled, but in the end it was a pretty meh tool and I wound up selling it on craigslist for sixty bucks.

But hey, free tool!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
If you're looking for things to do with your new Radial Arm saw, take a browse through this thing. There's a bunch of projects and such specifically featuring the fancy new tool of the times: https://archive.org/stream/HomeWorkshopHandbook/Home%20Workshop%20Handbook#page/n0/mode/2up

Plus even if you don't have a RAS there's a bunch of neat stuff in there. Definitely worth taking a look either way.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Anyone have the EGO cordless string trimmer? I got their mower last year and love it. I'm tired of trailing an extension cord around with my current one, and if EGO's is as good as their mower, I'm ready to upgrade.

e: My dad's been a big radial arm saw fan for years, I got him a book from this site for his birthday a few years back.

http://mrsawdust.com/

Archives
Nov 23, 2008

dyne posted:

Looks like Milwaukee just announced their cordless finish nailers, which look nice but are pretty pricey ($350 for the bare tool). I have ridgid stuff and I thought their nailers were too expensive.

Hopefully prices come down in the next year or two as I'd really like to get one. I avoid getting my nailers out half time and just hand nail or screw because I don't want to get my 50# compressor out of the garage.

Just get a longer hose.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Archives posted:

Just get a longer hose.

Yup, I had to nail some baseboards in a cramped bathroom where I really, really didn't like the idea of having to try and swing a hammer around a toilet. Bought an air nailer, a long hose, and a few couplers to hook it to the compressor in my garage. Worked great and was still cheaper than buying literally any cordless electric nailer by a long shot.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Archives posted:

Just get a hose reel.

There you go :)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, I had to nail some baseboards in a cramped bathroom where I really, really didn't like the idea of having to try and swing a hammer around a toilet. Bought an air nailer, a long hose, and a few couplers to hook it to the compressor in my garage. Worked great and was still cheaper than buying literally any cordless electric nailer by a long shot.

Hope you didn't put a nail through a pipe. You'd probably know by now, but maybe not.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Really short nails, all into studs, and this was a few months ago. Yeah, I would have noticed a long time ago if one managed to go into pressurized copper plumbing.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Really short nails, all into studs, and this was a few months ago. Yeah, I would have noticed a long time ago if one managed to go into pressurized copper plumbing.

Coworker's condo had cameras installed and one of the installs nicked a pipe that wasn't in any plans... About a year later the electrical system for half the building* had to be replaced because the water trickling had rusted it to poo poo and it caused a massive short.

*not all the system but the distribution to the top half of the building.

deimos fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 10, 2016

coathat
May 21, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Anyone have the EGO cordless string trimmer? I got their mower last year and love it. I'm tired of trailing an extension cord around with my current one, and if EGO's is as good as their mower, I'm ready to upgrade.

e: My dad's been a big radial arm saw fan for years, I got him a book from this site for his birthday a few years back.

http://mrsawdust.com/

I'd say go for it, but make sure to get the 15 inch one over the 12 since it can use bigger line.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Oh, good tip, I didn't even know they had multiple sizes.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
What's a good cordless leaf blower these days? I had a Ryobi ONE one and it recently blew all of its guts out the business end.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
EGO actually has a leaf blower as well. I'm not personally in the market since I just got a corded one about two years ago, but their mower is great.

Winston_Wolf
Jun 9, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

No on the EGO, but I did just replace my horrible black and decker battery powered with a Husqvarna 128CD, and this thing has more balls than my mower. Sure it might be mix fuel and be a pain in the rear end, but it kicks way harder than the higher end 4 stroke motors. If you go that way check into manufacturer warranty extension for purchase of 3 cans of their fuel, not a bad deal.

Unrelated: After throwing away my 4th crosscut sled candidate I've come to realize my blade is yawing to the left. Hard lesson learned for noobs like me- calibrate yo poo poo when you get it. I have all these fancy finger gauges and calipers and never bothered. Knowing the root cause has me slightly less pissed off, but I've wasted a LOT of good plywood and 2x4 on this so far. Feels like I'm not even walking yet without a sled.

IGotNothing
Jul 21, 2004
1 + 1 = 3 (for large values of 1)
A shaper vise I acquired before it was thrown out. Thats a 16x24 framing square next to it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IGotNothing fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 15, 2016

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

RTFM posted:

No on the EGO, but I did just replace my horrible black and decker battery powered with a Husqvarna 128CD, and this thing has more balls than my mower. Sure it might be mix fuel and be a pain in the rear end, but it kicks way harder than the higher end 4 stroke motors. If you go that way check into manufacturer warranty extension for purchase of 3 cans of their fuel, not a bad deal.

Unrelated: After throwing away my 4th crosscut sled candidate I've come to realize my blade is yawing to the left. Hard lesson learned for noobs like me- calibrate yo poo poo when you get it. I have all these fancy finger gauges and calipers and never bothered. Knowing the root cause has me slightly less pissed off, but I've wasted a LOT of good plywood and 2x4 on this so far. Feels like I'm not even walking yet without a sled.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tools/comments/4adi9r/lesson_learned_calibrate_new_tools/

This is how I know. I'm a wizard, Harry!

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
If you take a saw primarily intended for woodcutting and put a metal cutting blade on it and then try to cut say, 1-1/2" round tubing with it, what's the worst that could happen?

The blade's max rpm is 6,400. The saw spins at 5,000. Short of measuring that 10" of woodcutting blade is in fact the same diameter of 10" of metal cutting blade, what can go wrong with trying to precision mitre cut metal this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

DreadLlama posted:

If you take a saw primarily intended for woodcutting and put a metal cutting blade on it and then try to cut say, 1-1/2" round tubing with it, what's the worst that could happen?

The blade's max rpm is 6,400. The saw spins at 5,000. Short of measuring that 10" of woodcutting blade is in fact the same diameter of 10" of metal cutting blade, what can go wrong with trying to precision mitre cut metal this way?

I've got this exact setup going and the worst that has happened (so far) is the blade only cuts all the way through about 1.5"-2.5" from the backstop. If the metal cutting blade works anything like cut-off wheels, it'll likely get worse as time goes on and you'll have to shim the metal higher to the blade.