Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Fit-wise, I've never had a bad experience with Tamiya. They might gently caress up the historical details or have gross motorization holes and extremely bland vinyl tracks on "new" kits, but they always go together well and assemble into a good looking model that looks perfectly fine to most people.

Please note that almost all of Tamiya's jet models are Italeri models that are reboxed for the Japanese market. For why this is important, see the Revell Blackhawk above.

The F-16 is pure Tamiya though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Gah, drat reboxes. Thankfully scalemates exists.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

Finished the last of my ballasting. Other than a few touch ups I'll have to do after making a few crossings, I'm done. I like how the hand-painted old ties turned out.

That looks amazing, man.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

makka-setan posted:

This is the Revell UH-60A Black Hawk (04940). Don't build this kit.

Don't build this kit.

This warning applies to a lot of Revell helicopters. They tend to rebox old kits and hope nobody will notice. I'm pretty sure 90% of their current offering as far as helicopters go is some kind of rebox(and I'm 100% sure about the civilian 'copters on their site)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I'm guessing the writing on top of the rotor blades says something like "If you can read this you are unbelievably hosed. Sorry."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cartoon posted:

I'm guessing the writing on top of the rotor blades says something like "If you can read this you are unbelievably hosed. Sorry."

I imagine this printed on random fiddly bits all over military aircraft.

Fit-wise, I've never had a bad experience with Tamiya. They might gently caress up the historical details or have gross motorization holes and extremely bland vinyl tracks on "new" kits, but they always go together well and assemble into a good looking model that looks perfectly fine to most people.

Seconding this. I'm working on a T-55A, and...well, there's nothing like lovingly washing and dry brushing a part only to realize the instructions are wrong and the fucker is supposed to be green.

The box has the right color, but the instructions clearly say "khaki." :shepface:

It's a really nice kit as far as fit, molding, and quality of instructions from a construction standpoint.

Edit: here's the whole (partially weathered) tank, just for the hell of it.

VVV thaaaanks :yaycloud:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 8, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I've seen that be wrong so many times that I don't even bother with the manual half the time and just look for reference photos. That's a sweet looking dust cover though.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Did you dry brush the whole thing? What green did you use?

Looks like what I want on my T-72A. What primer/coats did you use to get it?

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 8, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Warbadger posted:

Did you dry brush the whole thing? What green did you use?

Looks like what I want on my T-72A. What primer/coats did you use to get it?

I used US Navy gray primer, with pre-shading in German dunkelgrau.

Then several layers of really thinned down Soviet green, followed by gloss coat, then a wash of really dark brown in the grooves/books/crannies.

Tires are a mix of black and this weird rubber color I don't remember buying.

I haven't done any further detail work on the hull (dry brushing, etc) because I'm pretty happy with how it's come out up to this point and I'm afraid of loving it up, but it'll at least get some dirt pigments. Or possibly actual dirt from my back yard.

All the paints are Vallejo. The clear coat is a weird mix of Vallejo and Testors because I was really drunk.

Sidenote: I seem to have lost the goddamn tracks. Guess I'm going aftermarket.

Edit: added picture from partway through the pre-shading

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 8, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
My next kit is the 1/48 Zvedza Bf-109F4. It comes with decals for JG54. Any suggestions on a relatively simple but attractive paint scheme? I'm still...pretty poor with the airbrush and haven't ever done a camo scheme before.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Flat gray can look just as nice as any other camo scheme. I'm not sure if that's historically accurate for the Luftwaffe though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Krauts love splinter camo, with is something you can do quite effectively with some tape carefully cut.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think I'd like to do a field scheme from the East...maybe something like this:

Is that going to be too much for me to handle?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's what the layout looks like as of now. Ballasting done, city deck installed, ramp in. Not a lot more I can do without a L.A.S.E.R. (cutting anything by hand is not for me)

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

bewbies posted:

I think I'd like to do a field scheme from the East...maybe something like this:

The 109's pretty much all used the same splinter camo pattern on the wings throughout the war. The JG.3 used some cool schemes on their F4 on the eastern front.

For the railheads, I found a cool google streetview kinda thing of a big rail layout in Germany

https://www.google.com/maps/about/behind-the-scenes/streetview/treks/miniatur-wunderland/

Molentik fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 8, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bewbies posted:

Doesn't look too hard at all. I'd say you'll manage it easily.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Baronjutter posted:

Here's what the layout looks like as of now. Ballasting done, city deck installed, ramp in. Not a lot more I can do without a L.A.S.E.R. (cutting anything by hand is not for me)

Is this N scale or HO? I can't tell on sight yet.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bewbies posted:

Blobs--soft-edged or hard--can be accomplished using silly putty as a stencil. I'll post an example momentarily.

Edit:
You literally just shape the putty into an irregularly shaped pancake and lay it onto the model's surface.

You can also shape it into a ribbon and snake it around the outside of the area you want to paint, using the outside edge to hold down cellophane from the model's packaging or cut up trash bag.

See the green blob under the number? The right edge of that blob is what you get if you carefully press down the edges of the blob so it "seals." The left edge, and the fuzzy red blob underneath, are what you get if you don't do seal. This is sometimes desirable. It wasn't here; I just wasn't paying attention.

Protip: Sealing the edge is easier the thinner the putty is.

Peel off the silly putty before the paint has fully dried and set, and wash it off with hand soap. Then fold it over itself and pop the tiny bubbles while the paint dries. Also consider balling it up and bouncing it off stuff.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 8, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mr. Powers posted:

Is this N scale or HO? I can't tell on sight yet.

N, no way I could fit a loop in HO.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Blobs--soft-edged or hard--can be accomplished using silly putty as a stencil. I'll post an example momentarily.

Edit:
You literally just shape the putty into an irregularly shaped pancake and lay it onto the model's surface.

You can also shape it into a ribbon and snake it around the outside of the area you want to paint, using the outside edge to hold down cellophane from the model's packaging or cut up trash bag.

See the green blob under the number? The right edge of that blob is what you get if you carefully press down the edges of the blob so it "seals." The left edge, and the fuzzy red blob underneath, are what you get if you don't do seal. This is sometimes desirable. It wasn't here; I just wasn't paying attention.

Protip: Sealing the edge is easier the thinner the putty is.

Peel off the silly putty before the paint has fully dried and set, and wash it off with hand soap. Then fold it over itself and pop the tiny bubbles while the paint dries. Also consider balling it up and bouncing it off stuff.

Huh, I never thought about not sealing the edge to make a gradient. Looks like I know how I'm painting my next German tank!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Huh, I never thought about not sealing the edge to make a gradient. Looks like I know how I'm painting my next German tank!

Glad someone could benefit from my mistakes. :buddy:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

So this seems simple enough. For the 109, what I'm thinking:

1. Spray the entire thing forest green.
2. Mask off the bottom with "unsealed" putty and spray the white
3. Mask off the fuselage blobs with "unsealed" putty and spray the blobs
4. Mask off the nose and tail with tape and spray flat yellow

Does that look right or should I do things a different way?

edit - and prior to step 1, pre-shade panel lines with flat black....

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 9, 2016

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I'd start with the lightest colour, so underside first (which I'm pretty sure should be whichever RLM number is pale blue).

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

bewbies posted:

So this seems simple enough. For the 109, what I'm thinking:

1. Spray the entire thing forest green.
2. Mask off the bottom with "unsealed" putty and spray the white
3. Mask off the fuselage blobs with "unsealed" putty and spray the blobs
4. Mask off the nose and tail with tape and spray flat yellow

Does that look right or should I do things a different way?

edit - and prior to step 1, pre-shade panel lines with flat black....

You've got it mostly right, but I would spray the RLM78 on the underside first, since forest green is pretty dark and will show through unless you spray so thick to destroy your preshade work.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Unkempt posted:

I'd start with the lightest colour, so underside first (which I'm pretty sure should be whichever RLM number is pale blue).

This. Also, that yellow should maybe be done second and taped off, because trying to paint yellow over anything but very light neutral colors is... unpleasant.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This. Also, that yellow should maybe be done second and taped off, because trying to paint yellow over anything but very light neutral colors is... unpleasant.

I've seen people go as far as paint the yellow areas white first, and then paint the yellow over it. Something about yellow paint being fairly translucent.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've seen people go as far as paint the yellow areas white first, and then paint the yellow over it. Something about yellow paint being fairly translucent.

The miniatures thread groupthink is white->yellow-brown->yellow I think. I prefer white undercoat myself...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jonny Nox posted:

The miniatures thread groupthink is white->yellow-brown->yellow I think. I prefer white undercoat myself...
The miniatures thread is a different style of painting all together responding to the particular requirements of different sizes of model. In retrospect it's both arse backwards and highly impractical to use one style for the other purpose. Would have saved me ages if I knew that a few years back.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Yep it looks like that's how most pros do this sort of thing.

So I'll do white undercoat, then pre-shade black panel lines, then spray the yellow with RLM04. Then hard mask the yellow, and spray green (RLM62?), soft mask and spray RLM78 on the bottom, then soft mask and spray dark green (RLM70?) as the blobs. Is that the right way to go?

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
I'm building a Panzer IV Ausf. D, currently just modulated.

The most important thing, though, is in the background. Try to guess what it is!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Is it the robot looking thing? Are you building a diorama like so:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Luck strikes! I ordered a noname 0.4mm nozzle and needle for cheap chinese airbrushes and lo and behold it fit my old noname cheap chinese airbrush. There are a million different brand names but it seems there is some standardization, or all of them are made by the same company. Hopefully the 0.4mm nozzle will help spraying primers and varnishes that the 0.2mm needs buckets of thinners for.

I also spruced up the base for my AT-ST. White glue with sprinkled gravel of varying size then a bucket load of gloss varnish with a bit of soap to soak into the sand. Then some green, brown and black paint to highlight certain areas. Some matt varnish and done.

I was going to glue some dried moss to it but it would probably just fall off eventually.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Have any of you guys used Archer Fine Transfers rivets? Thinking of using them on my next project

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sparq posted:

The most important thing, though, is in the background. Try to guess what it is!

It's a coffee cup, duh.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
nineball on the monitor

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Sparq posted:

You airbrushed the entire wall with Tamiya Acrylic flat white.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sparq posted:

Holy poo poo! Where did you get that?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Oh man, I just discovered that you can manage your personal collection on Scalemates! Time to add in all my plastic junk!

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Is it the robot looking thing? Are you building a diorama like so:

This diorama is so loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arquinsiel posted: