Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I find it hard to reread any book even if I loved it. It feels like there's too much else to read to spend time rereading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
^^ lol

Heath posted:

I'm reading Pynchon's Against the Day and so far I already like it way better than Vineland or Bleeding Edge, which are the last two I read. I feel like he writes two different sorts of novels, ones more like V., Gravity's Rainbow, AtD and then more "casual" ones like Bleeding Edge and Inherent Vice that are fun but not as engaging to me.

I just reread this one, I look forward to the day when somebody puts out some giant reading companion like Weisenburger did for GR because whoo, that book makes GR look straightforward. On the flip side, I think it features his most beautiful prose, and some of his most heartbreaking characters (GR, for as great as it is - and it's probably my favorite novel - really isn't much for characters-as-human-beings). Now I'm rereading Mason & Dixon, naturally.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 8, 2016

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Heath posted:

I find it hard to reread any book even if I loved it. It feels like there's too much else to read to spend time rereading

I feel the same way. Even though my wife and son are constant re-readers I'd rather pick up a new book. There are exceptions but it's generally something like Catcher in the Rye or The Great Gatsby that I read when I was young and didn't like and know that I was probably just wrong about.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Heath posted:

yeah I haven't re-read anything for a long time and it makes me kind of sad. When I was a teenager I read all the Discworld books like three or four times, but I also had no friends (possibly for that reason) so there we go I guess

I've been a Bad Reader for a couple of years now though so I'm making an effort to read more this year. If I clear more of my shelf I'd like to find time to read a few books I used to love and think about how terrible they are.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Heath posted:

I have even worse problem. I have really lovely memory (probably because I'm 16 and depressed) so I can't brag with cool quotations or even details of stuff I've read unless I read it twice AND I mostly don't read things twice. As a result I spend hundreds of hoiurs reading stuff I'll forget. gently caress literature actually

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

mallamp posted:

I have even worse problem. I have really lovely memory (probably because I'm 16 and depressed) so I can't brag with cool quotations or even details of stuff I've read unless I read it twice AND I mostly don't read things twice. As a result I spend hundreds of hoiurs reading stuff I'll forget. gently caress literature actually

there's also the misogyny thing

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

How many times have you read Das Kapital, and do the other kids at school make fun of you?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mallamp posted:

I can never remember quotes from books so I tend to take photos of them with my phone as I read. Basically what I'm saying is you would be justified if you killed me, a millennial.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Criminal Minded posted:

^^ lol

I just reread this one, I look forward to the day when somebody puts out some giant reading companion like Weisenburger did for GR because whoo, that book makes GR look straightforward. On the flip side, I think it features his most beautiful prose, and some of his most heartbreaking characters (GR, for as great as it is - and it's probably my favorite novel - really isn't much for characters-as-human-beings). Now I'm rereading Mason & Dixon, naturally.

M&D will be my next one. GR and maybe Pale Fire are the only books I would consider rereading because they seem like the kind of book you almost have to run through twice.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Heath posted:

I can never remember quotes from books so I tend to take photos of them with my phone as I read. Basically what I'm saying is you would be justified if you killed me, a millennial.

I do this, and then send the photos to friends, to share with them the joy of reading.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Heath posted:

Have you considered the use of bookmarks, pencils, highlighters, or ebook notes? Because any of those things would probably be better than taking photos of a book.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Nakar posted:

Have you considered the use of bookmarks, pencils, highlighters, or ebook notes? Because any of those things would probably be better than taking photos of a book.

Marking books is a sin. And so are ebooks. I mostly send parts I like to friends.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
if there is a part of a book i want to remember i just repeat it, aloud, gradually increasing in volume but decreasing in phrase frequency until i go from whispering as fast possible to shouting at full volume at seemingly random intervals.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Tree Goat posted:

if there is a part of a book i want to remember i just repeat it, aloud, gradually increasing in volume but decreasing in phrase frequency until i go from whispering as fast possible to shouting at full volume at seemingly random intervals.

I'm told this is the best way to read Finnegans Wake.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Marking books is cool and good

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

End Of Worlds posted:

there's also the misogyny thing

Trust me, I'm working on it

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I have way too many unread books on the shelves to reread anything. I struggle to read faster than I buy anyway, never mind reading stuff that I've already read before.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Writing in books owns but I keep a little moleskin notebook that I record favourite quotes in for later access

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

Marking books is a sin.

Only if the book isn't your own. If it is your own, you may mark it in any and every way imaginable ; I give you my imprimatur as a librarian. ☩

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
You shouldn't mark books but you should make sure the spine is creased when you are done so that everyone knows you have read it when they are looking at your bookshelf and know that you are a master reader.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I feel weird about marking my own books personally. I use post-it notes.
It's kind of fun getting a used book or a library book that has passages underlined though to see what other people marked. I like seeing what they found significant. Though maybe one of these times someone will have underlined parts in a weird sex scene and I'll just have to wonder.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Going back over old annotations is fun. It's a very medieval way of reading – glosses added to glosses. Conversations happening on the page. I get very romantic about annotations and marginalia. Sometimes I read my own old annotations, and it's like having a literary chat with yourself.

e: incidentally this is why print is the devil and the adaptability of manuscript production while expensive would make for some loving cool avant-garde literature

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

J_RBG posted:

Going back over old annotations is fun. It's a very medieval way of reading – glosses added to glosses. Conversations happening on the page. I get very romantic about annotations and marginalia. Sometimes I read my own old annotations, and it's like having a literary chat with yourself.

e: incidentally this is why print is the devil and the adaptability of manuscript production while expensive would make for some loving cool avant-garde literature

But monks are smart guys and I'm a retard

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I tried to start writing in books after a time where I was reading a lot about Fermat;s last theorem and I thought marginalia were cool but I was very half hearted and only wrote obvious things in pencil then looked over them a week later and rubbed them all out.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Caustic Chimera posted:

It's kind of fun getting a used book or a library book that has passages underlined though to see what other people marked. I like seeing what they found significant.
Kindle has some sort of feature where it underlines passages that were highlighted by a significant number of other readers and the answer is usually "Bafflingly random poo poo." I'm sure it doesn't help that you don't get their notes about it, so you have no idea why they highlighted it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I bought a copy of Stoner by John Williams a few weeks ago which had some minor marginalia in the first 50 pages. According to the notes they made, the writer gave up purely because they didn't understand certain parts. They even boast on several pages about how widely read they are, but are still completely unable to grasp what Williams means when he describes Stoner as being changed by literature.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't feel the need to write in my books

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
When I finish a book I pee on it a little so everyone knows its mine

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Writing in books is pretentious

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

Yeah it's also neoliberal and Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

blue squares posted:

Wouldn't that only be true if you tell people about it, and also what you write in them? If you're writing notes to yourself in your own books and not telling anyone it seems fine to me. It's your reading experience, do whatever helps you. Unless your goal is to one day sell the book and...

Gorn Myson posted:

I bought a copy of Stoner by John Williams a few weeks ago which had some minor marginalia in the first 50 pages. According to the notes they made, the writer gave up purely because they didn't understand certain parts. They even boast on several pages about how widely read they are, but are still completely unable to grasp what Williams means when he describes Stoner as being changed by literature.
Who boasts about how widely-read they are in marginalia written to themselves? Do I need to remind myself that I've read things while reading other things? Were they trying to compare the book to other books they'd claimed to read, or were they just bragging in the margins for some reason? I could see making a note of where one book reminded you of another, I guess.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Nakar posted:

Who boasts about how widely-read they are in marginalia written to themselves? Do I need to remind myself that I've read things while reading other things? Were they trying to compare the book to other books they'd claimed to read, or were they just bragging in the margins for some reason?

Someone who has no friends, Facebook, blog or goodreads, but wants tomake reading social I guess
I admit to sometimes reading sf not because I particularly like it, but because in sf world you are always feelconnected when you go online and see hundreds of oither nerds discussing the book you just read. When I read contemporary postmodern novel I have exactly one friend I can talk about it with, and online there are couple of pretentious reviews on a good day

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

CestMoi posted:

Yeah it's also neoliberal and Dunning-Kruger Effect.

totes

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I loving hate when people write in books because if I try to go back through the book and read it myself my attention gets inordinately drawn to the things they highlighted when usually the things people choose to highlight are trivial parts of the text or circling a single word and writing a bunch of question marks next to it. I can't say I've found any writing in a book that was insightful enough for me to have appreciated it being there more than I was annoyed by it. Plus most of the time when I do find a book with writing the notes mysteriously cease about 40 pages in

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I like reading other people's notes, sometimes it's insightful.

My copy of To the Lighthouse is full of paragraphs boxed out and "SYMBOLISM ?" written next to it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
My copy of Streetcar named desire has the attempts of a previous owner to underline all the sexy metaphors, but they missed Blanche's fictional fiance having an oil well gushing into her purse.
And heavy-smokers are worse to their books than the underliners.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nakar posted:

Kindle has some sort of feature where it underlines passages that were highlighted by a significant number of other readers and the answer is usually "Bafflingly random poo poo." I'm sure it doesn't help that you don't get their notes about it, so you have no idea why they highlighted it.

If my Kindle is any guide, about ninety percent of my highlighting is purely accidental and takes place inside a pocket.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I like reading other people's notes, sometimes it's insightful.

My copy of To the Lighthouse is full of paragraphs boxed out and "SYMBOLISM ?" written next to it.
A fun thing to do would be to make random seemingly meaningful notes in a bunch of your older books, then donate them. Good luck, poor college kid trying to figure out why the line "He drove downtown that night" is highlighted, triple-circled, and has THE POINT? in the margin with an arrow.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Reading should be like nature hike rules, take only memories, leave only greasy thumbprints and stains from rice falling out of your Qdoba burrito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
marginalia and commonplace books are some of the most fascinating and intimate artifacts great authors leave behind. thinking of books as sacred and immutable texts is to alienate yourself from the joys of both writing and reading. so i agree with the consensus that goons should not make them, so we do not burden future generations with "what if the two main characters were vampires, and kissed each other?" and "proust, so far, is entirely consistent with the wh40k universe."