Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is it the robot looking thing? Are you building a diorama like so:

Yes it is! It will be de central part of a larger, but not as rad, diorama. I'll post pictures when it's ready, I'm hoping to win at least a Bronze in a competition.

The Locator posted:

It's a coffee cup, duh.

The best cup.

Antifreeze Head posted:

You airbrushed the entire wall with Tamiya Acrylic flat white.

Good idea, I may get on it!

Arquinsiel posted:

Holy poo poo! Where did you get that?

Haha, I see you recognized it. The Urbanmech is a resin model I got two years ago and it has been a great build! It will be put against a Locust in a desertic town.

http://scott-messydesk.blogspot.com
http://battlemechclub.blogspot.com

This two guys produce 1/60 Battletech 'Mechs in resin, and they are pretty good! Battlemechclub has the MWO Atlas, Loki, and something more on sale.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I know, right?! A Zentradi warship in the extreme background

what are we looking at

That's Galactica which I've been delaying for two years because I want to pimp it up with LEDs

This is what you're looking at, a Mech that kind of resembles a trashcan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Is that a race car with a Pak 36 mounted on top? Every picture you post just raises more questions.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Haha no, it's a Spanish Civil War 45mm Russian AT gun over a small showcase that contais a car. You give me ideas, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I like the soldering wire (?) behind the mech that makes it look like a sci-fi electric power generator or some such thing from the 50's.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Sparq posted:

Haha no, it's a Spanish Civil War 45mm Russian AT gun over a small showcase that contais a car. You give me ideas, though.

Pretty sure that those aren't the correct wheels then. Who makes the kit?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sparq posted:

This is what you're looking at, a Mech that kind of resembles a trashcan.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Given the crazy short ranges (in scale) that the guns in most 'mech' games have, I'm pretty sure this gif is an accurate representation of a mech lobbing a shell like a shot put, since even terrible black powder could propel a shell beyond the edge of the map in most of these games. :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's also got a laser :colbert: with a 90m range... :negative:

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

Pretty sure that those aren't the correct wheels then. Who makes the kit?

Those are from Plastic Soldier, repackaged through Minairons Miniatures

Kibner posted:

I like the soldering wire (?) behind the mech that makes it look like a sci-fi electric power generator or some such thing from the 50's.

Well that's a shame then, it's the wire thingy where the brushes hang to dry.

...I'm starting to think my desk might be a little too cluttered.

That is majestic.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Finished another tank, and this time I get to take photos with a non-lovely camera! What a difference it makes!

Zoom! Enhance!

Even though it's a really old kit, it reproduces these hidden welding seams and roughly cut armour plates very well.

Thankfully the gun comes in one piece with a hollow tip, and the mold lines are easy to remove. Much better than even some more recent kits.

I thought I may have gone a little overboard on chipping here, but it turned out pretty well.

I'm very impressed with the detailing on the kit, for the most part. Even though it's from roughly the same era, this is a much better looking kit than the Jackson. There are some places where the details are lacking (the fender supports should be hollow, the inner road wheels have no detail on them at all, the exhaust pipes aren't hollow), but that's forgivable given the kit's age. Now... here are some less forgivable parts.

The Jackson kit had filler parts for the final drive holes that had the vertical struts to fill the gap from the axle. This kit doesn't have them, so I had to fill them myself. Thankfully this area is hidden behind the drive wheel for the most part, so I didn't have to add the final drive case mounting details.

The figure included with the kit is uh... not good. It's also dressed in the post-1943 uniform, and this is supposed to be an early war tank.

This is the biggest offender: the tracks. These are the worst vinyl tracks I've ever seen on any vehicle ever. Even the Tamiya T-34 vinly tracks have some details on the inside. These guys? None. Smooth other than the guide horns. I replaced them with Trumpeter vinyl tracks, which are almost as nice as most link to link tracks that I've seen.

As the inclusion of the wrong crewman implies, this kit isn't super great historically. They call the tank KV-1B, which is one of the German designations, but then the kit shows a plain jane KV-1, which is a late 1941 model, as opposed to a 1940 model like the "B" index would suggest. Oh, and even though the manual calls it "model 1940", the F-32 gun wasn't used on KV tanks until January of 1941, and the applique armour wasn't added until the summer of 1941. Speaking of applique armour, it would be preferable to make it so the tank can be assembled with or without it, but you're out of luck. Even though there were many KV tanks of this type with either only extra armour on the turret or no extra armour at all, you are in for a lot of sanding and filling if you want to assemble the kit without either, and then you'd have to get parts like the tow cable holders (the cables are included in the kit, but the holders are not) separately. Curiously, the driver's plate without applique armour is included.

The decals are similarly ahistorical. There are three variants: "Strike the fascist scum!", "Victory will be ours!", and one for an unidentified unit. I've never seen the unidentified one, a simple triangular symbol, but "Victory will be ours" is not only printed wrong, but the application of the decal on the left side is shown incorrectly. Curiously, the Tamiya 1:48th scale kit of this tank includes the correct decal. It's weird that this kit was not fixed. "Strike the fascist scum" is printed correctly, but was applied to a vehicle with turret armour only, which this kit cannot be assembled as. Since none of the options were that great, I decided to assemble tank #864 driven by Zinoviy Kolobanov in his famous battle where his company ambushed a German tank column and wiped it out without taking any losses in return. Sadly, the exact modification of his tank is also unknown. I used decals from the Tamiya T-34 1942 production kit, since thankfully it gives you lots and lots of spares.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Very nice EE. The chipping came out great. The only comment I think I could make is that it appears a bit shiny, but that may be lighting/camera enhancing it a bit too.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My lightbox is kinda lovely, I need to dissipate the light better. Since I got a camera that isn't awful I might as well make a decent lightbox too.

Also I put all my kits together into a scalemates collection. Holy balls, I have a lot more kits than I thought. Also they slant a lot more German than I expected.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

One of your best kits so far in my opinion EE! The wash turned out much nicer than on the last tank you posted.

Also, didn't the KV-1's serve to the end of the war in some units? I recall reading about KV-1's is East-Prussia.

Molentik fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 10, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Later models, maybe. The KV-1 wasn't a super reliable vehicle, and stapling more armour to it didn't help much. I think I read about some F-32 armed KVs in action as late as early 1943, but they didn't have the applique armour.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
EE do you do anything other than modeling? :) That's two really awesome models within a week!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

COOL CORN posted:

EE do you do anything other than modeling? :) That's two really awesome models within a week!

I do lots of other things, these are very simple kits with plain paint jobs. The Valentine with 700 parts and PE took me more than a month, for instance.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Sparq posted:

This two guys produce 1/60 Battletech 'Mechs in resin, and they are pretty good! Battlemechclub has the MWO Atlas, Loki, and something more on sale.

Anyone know if there's a specific reason why no major company is offering any battletech kits at all? And never were?

Stumbled on a short time super sale on this nice little Pocher Lambo Aventador in 1:8 on ebay and grabbed the last one for like 4/5ths of the usual price.

814 parts, pre lacquered cast metal bodywork in Moneterey Blue, working scissor doors, over 7kgs of buildable goodness. Should be quite fun.

Also in my shopping spree I found this rather nice 625 part model. It's something different.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 11, 2016

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Oh, should probably post some updates too.

I finished up the rib structure for the Bismarck. She's now ready for fairing and then the first planking.

HMS Victory (finally) got her lower gun deck and support for the stern gallery. The blackened side beam will serve as backdrop and anchoring point for a few dozen fake guns. After installation of another deck and fake gun beam, she's also ready for fairing and her planking.

F14 got a radar (this'll need some colour upgrades), MFD lighting, IR receiver and landing gear bay doors.

Also we finally get a glimpse at how large this thing will be, that's a 30cm / 12 inch ruler in front

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Greyhawk posted:

Stumbled on a short time super sale on this nice little Pocher Lambo Aventador in 1:8 on ebay and grabbed the last one for like 4/5ths of the usual price.

814 parts, pre lacquered cast metal bodywork in Moneterey Blue, working scissor doors, over 7kgs of buildable goodness. Should be quite fun.

Lucky dog, those Pocher kits aren't always easy to find. I've been told the paint can be a bit rough, but stripping paint from metal is very easy.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

Greyhawk posted:

Anyone know if there's a specific reason why no major company is offering any battletech kits at all? And never were?

Only Armorcast and Horizon offered some, but I guess it's disinterest coupled with fear for intellectual property conflicts. It's a shame.

That car is going to be a cool build!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Oh, I'm wasting my life.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's been almost two weeks and I haven't heard anything about my crapcar. Is there a way to track the package?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's been almost two weeks and I haven't heard anything about my crapcar. Is there a way to track the package?

Shipping from Japan is a bizarre crapshoot. Sometimes it's there in a week, sometimes you hear nothing for a month then it shows up. One time three weeks passed, I got a "item has shipped" notice, then it arrived two days later.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Shipping from Japan is a bizarre crapshoot. Sometimes it's there in a week, sometimes you hear nothing for a month then it shows up. One time three weeks passed, I got a "item has shipped" notice, then it arrived two days later.

Only when going to America, though. Down in Australia I consistently get stuff like Gunpla in a pretty consistent timeframe of a week or so.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I got a sweet deal on some railroad landscaping foam, i.e. insulation foam board. I was buying two 4x8 1" panels and one had a chunk missing, so the Lowe's guy discounted it 70% off.

Tomorrow I'm going to start putting down measurements for where the track will run and lay down some foam on the elevated sections. I'm hoping to have track laid in the next week or so.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

My last 2 shipments were about 6 weeks. You can only get a tracking number if you didn't choose the cheap shipping option.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

What the hell happened? I dipped the canopy in Humbrol Clear and left it over night. In the morning I noticed the Clear wasn't covering all of it so I figured it must have been oily or dirty before the dip. I then tried to wash the canopy with soap and water before attempt no. 2 but it turned all cloudy. The Clear should have cured in 10 hours, right?

Is there any way to remove Humbrol Clear after curing?

I didn't wash the big canopy part so that's still uneven, but not cloudy.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

makka-setan posted:

What the hell happened? I dipped the canopy in Humbrol Clear and left it over night. In the morning I noticed the Clear wasn't covering all of it so I figured it must have been oily or dirty before the dip. I then tried to wash the canopy with soap and water before attempt no. 2 but it turned all cloudy. The Clear should have cured in 10 hours, right?

Is there any way to remove Humbrol Clear after curing?

I didn't wash the big canopy part so that's still uneven, but not cloudy.

I wonder if just reapplying the clearcoat would fix it, since it just changes how light reflects

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

signalnoise posted:

I wonder if just reapplying the clearcoat would fix it, since it just changes how light reflects

Looks like the Clear has become sort of brittle, I can scratch it off with my finger nail. Re-coating will probably not work.

But as I have understood it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, Humbrol Clear is pretty much the same stuff as Future. And I hear Future can be removed with Windex. So I'm soaking it in cheap off-brand window cleaner.

Fun fun fun! :D

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Pine Sol can get pretty much anything off, try that maybe?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Not sure we have that in Sweden. It's always a problem to find local alternatives to recommended products sold in the US :/

But the window cleaner is having an effect!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

makka-setan posted:

Not sure we have that in Sweden. It's always a problem to find local alternatives to recommended products sold in the US :/

But the window cleaner is having an effect!

afaik pinesol is pretty much equivalent to vanlig jävla grönsåpa(TM).

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

lilljonas posted:

afaik pinesol is pretty much equivalent to vanlig jävla grönsåpa(TM).

Well that makes it easy. I think I've got some vanlig jävla grönsåpa in the städskåp.

Godzillion
Feb 29, 2016

makka-setan posted:

Well that makes it easy. I think I've got some vanlig jävla grönsåpa in the städskåp.

I mean, who doesn't?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Unkempt posted:

Oh, I'm wasting my life.

Those are amazing little guages.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Disaster averted. A few hours in window cleaner and some scrubbing with a q-tip got the Clear off.

This is the result after three dips with 30-60 minutes in between. I discovered that subsequent dips would also cause clouding, but keeping the parts submerged for at least a minute would clear it up so to speak.

I can't say I made Humbrol Clear my bitch, but at least I gave it a stern talking to.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been without laser-access since august and it's been very rough. The "build team" finally finished making the new laser, but it was not cutting to scale and no one's really taken the time to figure out the weird chinese software and get things tuned up. Spent the last couple days trial-and-erroring things, posting on laser forums, and reading badly translated manuals. But I finally have the thing cutting to scale and pretty ok focus.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Working on a worthy opponent for the Gneisenau I built a few months ago.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That is a very tiny boat. I'm really only into model trains, but if I was to get into any other scale modeling thing it would be models of large ships no more than a foot or so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Working on a worthy opponent for the Gneisenau I built a few months ago.

I love the Rodney. It's a real life Imperial Star Destroyer - all guns facing forward. "We will never retreat. We can't."