Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I think there's a few of them just constantly researching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Just wait til you discover non-fiction authors. Those guys are smart as heck

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/03/12/elena_ferrante_s_identity_revealed_author_is_marcella_marmo_claims_italian.html

Italian newspaper thinks it has figured out Ferrante's identity

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Hate Fibration posted:

I finally started reading the copy of Against the Day I've had for ages, and the names of the characters alone make the book worth it.

Sup AtD buddy :ocelot:

If you've read Vineland there are some nods.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Great now she is gonna die

Heath posted:

Sup AtD buddy :ocelot:

If you've read Vineland there are some nods.

I really, really want to start Against the Day, but I have six books going on right now...

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

against the day is funniest pynchon but I still haven't finished it for some reason, can't remember why
maybe I should just finish it, I tried the new julian barnes novel but it's terribly boring, stay away from that

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Yay let's spoil things for a momentary headline!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Hate Fibration posted:

I finally started reading the copy of Against the Day I've had for ages, and the names of the characters alone make the book worth it.

It's unbelievable how well the names of the Chums of Chance (Randolph St. Cosmo, Lindsay Noseworth, Darby Suckling, Miles Blundell and Chick Counterfly) alone perfectly characterize them all within the first two pages. Scarsdale Vibe is likely dead on the money. Pynchon has a real genius for naming his characters.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's a family mentioned offhand named the Uckerfays.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

the_homemaster posted:

Yay let's spoil things for a momentary headline!

Well.. evidence was so crappy that they were easily able to deny it, even if they had it right no one knows

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
JK Rowling breaths a sigh of relief.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
At least one of those is from Vanity Fair.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Yo, Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose is really good and you should read it.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Rabbit Hill posted:

Yo, Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose is really good and you should read it.

I've had it in my hand to read a couple of times but the summary on the back made me put it back each time. Convince me why I should read it next!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I read the PLot Against America by Phillip Roth cos I had it lying around and I saw someone mention it in a thread around here and it's basically fine, good in places and bad in other places but lol at the guy in the recommendation thread who was like it's very pertinent to the current situation in America

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've it in my hands atthis very moment for the same reasons. You're always 1 step ahead of my CM.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

If you haven't got to the end of Chapter 1 yet it's realllll bad but the book then gets better. I also really want to read goon reviews of it cos I feel like the ending is exactly the sort of thing that would rile up idiots.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
i dont like Phil Roth

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
He's alright

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Get it, because Lindbergh is like Trump.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I just wanted to share that I read How to Be Both and it was excellent. I thought the changing print order thing would feel more like the male/female editions of Dictionary of the Khazars, but I could see this really influencing how you read it. I recommend it.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Girlfriend and I are going on a very long, not short, time intensive road trip. I was hoping for some recommendations of thoughtful pieces of literature that might provoke meaningful discussion that come across well in audiobook form. Do any of you know of a thing like that?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Don't know if it's highbrow enough for you but if you haven't read it then the Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro read by Dominic West. It's really best not to read any reviews, it's one of those books where if you talk about it or describe it you will end up spoiling it for people as there is no safe way to do it.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Girlfriend and I are going on a very long, not short, time intensive road trip. I was hoping for some recommendations of thoughtful pieces of literature that might provoke meaningful discussion that come across well in audiobook form. Do any of you know of a thing like that?

One of my favorite memories is a long, cross-country road trip with my wife and I alternating driving/reading On the Road by Kerouac. I don't know if there is an audio version but something like that or Travels with Charley is fun to read as you drive.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Consider podcasts. They come in shorter segments and might make discussion better, because you won't have to wait hours to get the whole thing before talking about it. If you haven't listened to Serial, that would be really fun to listen to together and debate about.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

One of my favorite memories is a long, cross-country road trip with my wife and I alternating driving/reading On the Road by Kerouac. I don't know if there is an audio version but something like that or Travels with Charley is fun to read as you drive.

Jumping off from what this guy's saying, any road trip or adventure novel works really well. Fear and Loathing is another awesome road trip work, and if you're into the classics, I'm reading the Odyssey while on vacation now and it's a fun one to read while traveling. I dunno about audiobooks for that, though; probably interesting, considering that epic tales were told orally back in the day.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

learnincurve posted:

Don't know if it's highbrow enough for you but if you haven't read it then the Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro read by Dominic West. It's really best not to read any reviews, it's one of those books where if you talk about it or describe it you will end up spoiling it for people as there is no safe way to do it.

I'm steering clear of Ishiguro for a while. The Buried Giant came highly recommended and was pretty underwhelming.

Appreciate all the tips. The thought of a road trip story for our road trip is intriguing.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

screw contemporary lit
TBR next: Man Without Qualities, Magic Mountain, Karamazov Bros
see you in couple of months

mallamp fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 23, 2016

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Just finished up Ulysses. Took me about a month, though I was reading lighter stuff alongside it.

drat. I gotta think on that one for a while. I can definitively say that it's one of my new favorites, and lame as it sounds, it really changed the way I view the little things in my day to day life. As much as loved the increased experimentalism of the later chapters, I also missed the beautiful stream of consciousness immersiveness of the earlier ones in an almost nostalgic way. Basically, it's the first book I've ever put down immediately wanting to reread it, to recapture those earlier chapters and see what I missed. I feel like I've never been so immersed in something before.

Gotta give this one a while to simmer for sure.

Side note: one of the books I read in the meantime was The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima. A lot simpler, naturally, but still quite beautiful. Perfect springtime read, and it really makes me want to dig more into his stuff. I got a weird but great vibe from his style - with all the emphasis on manliness and the sea, it felt like a Japanese Hemingway in a way, though (in this book's case) a lot happier.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Ulysses is so Important it made me hate reading, I wish someone wrote ulysses 2.0 with modern references instead of 100 year old irish culture magazines and poo poo. Pynchon, sure, but he isn't going for quite same thing as Joyce. For me, Finnegans Wake has aged better as you can truly get lost in the language.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

mallamp posted:

Ulysses is so Important it made me hate reading, I wish someone wrote ulysses 2.0 with modern references instead of 100 year old irish culture magazines and poo poo. Pynchon, sure, but he isn't going for quite same thing as Joyce. For me, Finnegans Wake has aged better as you can truly get lost in the language.

Ulysses is difficult and there were definitely moments in the book where I just wanted to skip a chapter and read a summary of everything (the 200 page play was the hardest part to get through for me way back when I read it.) But the last two chapters are so, so good that it makes up for the middle slog of that book, to me. The final part itself actually seems like it was written in a much more modern time period.

I found reading a breakdown of each chapter after I finished them one by one helped my reading of that book as well.

I wonder who would have the chops to do a 2.0. (besides Pynchon)

My guess would be Coetzee, in a weird way.

Max fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 23, 2016

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Oh yeah I absolutely used guides and poo poo. But I really love the oldness of it because A) whenever I did get a reference it made me feel like a loving king and B) because it really made me feel immersed in a vastly different, past culture, which is why I love reading literature from throughout history in the first place.

2.0 would be great to be honest but at the same time part of what makes Ulysses great is because there's nothing like it. I wanna read Gravity's Rainbow soon cause I hear it compared to it frequently in terms of its sheer uniqueness - basically in that both are otherwise incomparable books

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

true.spoon posted:

In the books from my university library you can oftentimes see how popular a chapter is for assignments from the density of notes. Sometimes you can guess the nature of the assignment but I have never found anything particularly interesting. One exception was Brave New World: The image of generation after generation of students reading the same chapters on assignment, marking the same paragraphs dealing with conformity, really added to the reading experience.

:golfclap:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What question should I ask Hanya Yanagihara in a hour?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

blue squares posted:

What question should I ask Hanya Yanagihara in a hour?

"My heart hurts."

Not a question but I finished A Little Life last week and I don't want to leave my bed ever.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ME: When writing Jude, did you feel that you were inflicting things upon a character, or that you were discovering a character and the things that happened to him had a sort of inevitability?

She said the latter, then talked about how Jude was a person who was unable to change the way he responded to events, so he would keep falling into the same problems and never move forward.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

So The Sellout by Paul Beatty won the National Book Award for Fiction last week. Anyone read it? I've got it, but am trying to wrap up a few books before I start.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished Hausfrau. I thought it was really good, though really depressing. It jumps around in time a lot, which I normally dislike, but it worked really well here. I felt like I was constantly reevaluating the characters. Like "maybe he's just an rear end in a top hat. Wait no, now that I know this, she's terrible and he's not that bad. No, everyone's terrible."

Also, I was thinking of buying some things on kindle and was looking for suggestions. Since I am a snob who loves penguin editions with footnotes, no classics unless I will not miss the footnotes. Maybe something contemporary?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Just finished Old Masters. Of the three Bernhard books I've read (the others being Woodcutters and The Loser), this is probably my least favorite, although I still liked it a lot. It probably has some of my favorite passages yet by him. I'd say it's also the nicest of the three, even though it's basically one long rant by a cranky old man. Thinking of reading Correction next, or maybe finally finishing Extinction, which I stopped reading halfway through for some reason.

I also just bought Malina by Ingeborg Bachmann and the kindle version of Against Nature, since they seem like things I'd enjoy. I've also been meaning to read The Recognitions and something by Clarice Lispector. And Viper's Tangle, which Amazon recommended to me, although I've never heard anything about it before. I can't remember the last time I read a recent book, so maybe I should pick up one of those too. I guess Knausgaard is the obvious choice for me, but it seems like pretty much everything I've read recently is written by an angry European man.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I can't remember if this was posted in this thread already but if not
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zCNcI1J5oGis.kcIbE0VGoHQ0