Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

its turns the fun details of the game into a defined set of "content" to "experience"

Well if you got like style points somehow, if there was a way to put that in the game, then sure. Or if going ham helped save time. Or whatever. Is what I mean. But you can play the game pretty repetitively which yeah that's boring but if you can beat the game like that then why wouldn't someone, and going ham might look cool in a video but if you aren't making a video of it do you care that much. I don't know, I usually don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

elf help book posted:

im conflicted on if im ok with the new hitman having goals of doing all the cool stuff

is spoiling the stuff for people who love the game ok if its encouraging new players to actually do that stuff

probably its good

its bad because its removes the element of discovery so new players still dont get to experience what makes it cool

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Its bad. The game looks like a drat insult. Not Dishonored though you cool :P

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think of it like, you know where you can play all boring in Mario. Well you can go ham as hell and it not only looks and feels awesome but there's usually reasons to do it. Not the same amount of Verbs you can do as a player but still.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i dont like how the new hitman just lets you straight up look through walls to see where everyone is

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SM64Guy posted:

the nice thing is you can turn all the hints and highlights off which id id asap

i meant like the missions, how you get xp and unlock stuff by doing the stuff on the big list thats like "wear this costume" or "kill with chandelier" and the level itself is like 0/21 missions completed

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

sorry i didnt post that in the hitman thread but thats now talking about the upcoming civil war

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

elf help book posted:

i meant like the missions, how you get xp and unlock stuff by doing the stuff on the big list thats like "wear this costume" or "kill with chandelier" and the level itself is like 0/21 missions completed

so many developers are so scared of players playing the game in a way they didnt intend they now make all the things that seemed creative into missions and lock down any other possibilities. thats what makes dishonoured and late 90s gaming cool

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
If Dishonored 2 is gonna keep the morality thing then it needs to have more nonlethal options. Human Revolution alone had more nonlethal tactics and Mankind Divided is expanding on that.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like that the Outsider is an embarrassing 90s goth and really boring but some of the books and stuff imply he’s actually a giant space whale

Supplementary info just says he's some gay kid who was sacrificed in a ritual but ended up ascending to godhood and people should stop explaining stuff that does not need explaining

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bedlamdan posted:

If Dishonored 2 is gonna keep the morality thing then it needs to have more nonlethal options. Human Revolution alone had more nonlethal tactics and Mankind Divided is expanding on that.

Supplementary info just says he's some gay kid who was sacrificed in a ritual but ended up ascending to godhood and people should stop explaining stuff that does not need explaining

maybe you should be careful with your posting advice guy who posts in the byob chat forum and trad games

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

who gives a poo poo if he posts in trad games

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

SM64Guy posted:

*sees a middle-aged man playing Go, kicks over the table and pulls his shirt over his head*

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

SM64Guy posted:

tbf they both contribute much more bad than good

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i dont really read it, also i didnt even know byob was still around

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trying to jack off posted:

so many developers are so scared of players playing the game in a way they didnt intend they now make all the things that seemed creative into missions and lock down any other possibilities. thats what makes dishonoured and late 90s gaming cool

You'd think they realize that games like Tribes or Quake where a main mechanic was originally a bug gave developers free game mechanic ideas when people figured that stuff out on their own

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

You'd think they realize that games like Tribes or Quake where a main mechanic was originally a bug gave developers free game mechanic ideas when people figured that stuff out on their own

its incredible that an entire generation of game developers were inspired to make games out of the worst parts of half life

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
I really liked Dishonored, but most of the fun comes from screwing around and trying to break the game.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i really liked dishonored but i have the most fun when im playing it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I pirated this game when it came out to check to see if it would run on my PC because it didn't have a demo. I played the opening bit and it was running fine so I bought it but having to have steam open as well made the game crash my computer on boot up every time and this was before steam refunds so I was SOL on 50 bucks. I obviously still own it but im so mad about it that I refuse to play it

you should go back and play it before DS3 comes out!

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
that game wasn't as long as i thought it was gonna be. it was fun alerting guards, teleporting somewhere up high and them watch them run around confused.

Yobgoblin fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 15, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

HolePisser1982 posted:

the level designs in dishonored are top notch. I heard the DLC has some good ones as well

The DLC levels are significantly better than the base game levels.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

that’s poo poo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the game plays 300% better when you just play it naturally instead of worrying about perfect stealth. even the requirements for the 'good' ending are fairly lax, you can kill some people and get caught here and there.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I was under the impression when I first played it that you had to get a low chaos rating in every single level to get the good ending, so I played super methodical and boring. Then I eventually learned you can still be a teleporting death monster, you just have to not butcher the entire level.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

The entire fighting game genre was born from a bug, and that's pretty cool.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

The entire fighting game genre was born from a bug, and that's pretty cool.

do you mean how combos in the original SF were pretty much a bug?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that’s poo poo

it's

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

do you mean how combos in the original SF were pretty much a bug?

Yeah, they weren't supposed to exist. And SFII Turbo wasn't supposed to happen but the American office thought the game was too slow and hacked it to double speed and released it against the Japanese office's wishes. That era of arcade development was cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Yeah, they weren't supposed to exist. And SFII Turbo wasn't supposed to happen but the American office thought the game was too slow and hacked it to double speed and released it against the Japanese office's wishes. That era of arcade development was cool

i never knew that turbo thing lol thats awesome

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training has been dropping some epic gamer knowledge these last few days.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

i never knew that turbo thing lol thats awesome

There's a big article about the early history of it that someone linked in this forum a while ago. I will try to find the link

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i think the most fun ive had with dishonored was a no upgrade+powers run, since youre not buying anything or using relics it becomes effectively a low% speedrun and im convinced this is the true way to play the game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im reinstalling this when i get home and doing that again lol both for the main story and daud dlcs

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

elf help book posted:

its turns the fun details of the game into a defined set of "content" to "experience"

You got a blog I could read, brah?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You got a blog I could read, brah?
he's right .

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I knew I heard Michael Madsen. gently caress yeah, OP!

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

the "bad" ending is better and more fun

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trabandiumium posted:

the "bad" ending is better and more fun
High Chaos makes some of the levels longer and more interesting as well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

levels get more enemy density w/ high chaos so you have more people to waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

levels get more enemy density w/ high chaos so you have more people to waste
Plus extra objectives at Kingsparrow and an entire extra area when you assassinate the Lord Regent.

I assume there's more but I forget what.

• Locked thread