Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wouldn't set yourself up for any expectations of things being changed. They've said they plan to tie into the epilogue multiple times now.

The marital status of ANYONE in the epilogue is vague and uncommentated upon for anyone who isn't Sora and Yamato and Miyako and Ken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

I think it would be neat if tri were to show stuff from the old epilogue, some time bullshit happened and hosed that up, and now they're trying to repair what they can. As far as broad story beats go.

It would definitely be inarguably terrible writing if they were to just force everything toward the existing epilogue.

That'd be fantastic. I still want Ken and Stingmon to become Detectives.

But seriously real talk, Matt on Mars is stupid as gently caress. How did that even be a thing

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I wouldn't set yourself up for any expectations. They've said they plan to tie into the epilogue multiple times now.

The marital status of ANYONE in the epilogue is vague and uncommentated upon for anyone who isn't Sora and Yamato and Miyako and Ken.

I guess there is one expectation I can set myself up for then, and that's tri ending in a big huge wet fart.

e:

Burkion posted:

That'd be fantastic. I still want Ken and Stingmon to become Detectives.

My one worry is that something like that seems like it might be beyond Toei to actually write well. That concept done poorly could easily end up terrible.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 16, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not a fan of most of the epilogue but I don't think they should change it because a bunch of people who aren't even their primary audience can't get over it over a decade later. And even then, only Yamato's job still strikes me as weird. The only thing I find outright objectionable about is that all their kids are clones.

I mean, hell, Sora being able to sew and design clothes with Meiko is one huge reference to her future career. It's happening.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I wouldn't set yourself up for any expectations of things being changed. They've said they plan to tie into the epilogue multiple times now.

I hope you're wrong on this part.

The Epilogue is just the worst thing in the entire Digimon franchise.

Also if other characters were married, they would have been commented on. But even a change as small as that would be nice.

That and Matt not going to loving Mars WHERE DID THAT COME FROM

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm not a fan of most of the epilogue but I don't think they should change it because a bunch of people who aren't even their primary audience can't get over it over a decade later. And even then, only Yamato's job still strikes me as weird. The only thing I find outright objectionable about is that all their kids are clones.

I mean, hell, Sora being able to sew and design clothes with Meiko is one huge reference to her future career. It's happening.

Except even in Japan no one liked the Epilogue.

It is literally the least favorable thing about the entire mess. Even people who love season 2 think it was a mistake.

I can't see them just doubling down on it exactly as it was. I hope they're smarter than that.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Burkion posted:

You just keep making this a thing don't you, where I have to respond to you. But gently caress it, this doesn't concern season 2 so whatever.

There are no inconsistencies between the first movie and Adventure, none that aren't addressed in Adventure itself.

Tai and Kari did not have a Digivice, nor could they have HAD their Digivices, as that moment was explicitly the moment Genai and his group realized who these 8 children were and the power they possessed. The movie was all about the affect humans have on Digimon, and Parrotmon was not literally born from scratch. That was just how he arrived possibly due to how rough going from one universe to the other would have been. He also clearly took way more power to appear than Agumon did.

The movie showed the bond between the children and Digimon and the wonders it could bring, the power it could inspire. Thus they became the Chosen and their Digivices were created and Partners prepared. Most of them forgot because of the weirdness between the realities, except for Kari and TK to a lesser extent.

Once you reach past Adventure, that's when the inconsistencies kick in though most of them are harmless.

I blamed their amnesia about the events on the fact the the oldest of them was, like, six at the time. Very young children blocking out traumatic experiences like this isn't too far fetched.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Geostomp posted:

I blamed their amnesia about the events on the fact the the oldest of them was, like, six at the time. Very young children blocking out traumatic experiences like this isn't too far fetched.

There's also the fact that normal people just forget about Digimon weirdness- and most weren't even aware of it to start with. They had to REALLY kick up poo poo to be noticeable after all.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Whatever you say about the rest of season 2, the epilogue was, with few exceptions, a mistake. If all of this is just to justify something that almost no fan, here or across the world, likes or enjoys, well Okay whatever its their show.

I will never understand the hate 02 receives, I loved the series and specially the ending.

quote:

But it's opening up holes in their own present story. They're building Mimi and Izzy pretty hard right now- what would be the point of this if it just goes to the epilogue where they're clearly not married?

People changes over time you know, that they're getting closer now doesn't mean they're tied by the red string of fate or whatever.

quote:

Notice I am not saying that ending on AN epilogue would be a mistake- but the one we have does not work with the story they are telling. They can fix the epilogue, that'd be great. It'd help fix some of season 2's worst parts. But as it is, the idea that it ends on what we already know is baffling and fills Tri with a lot of problems.

Tri's writing has its issues regardless it ties with 02.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Tai and Kari did not have a Digivice, nor could they have HAD their Digivices, as that moment was explicitly the moment Genai and his group realized who these 8 children were and the power they possessed. The movie was all about the affect humans have on Digimon, and Parrotmon was not literally born from scratch. That was just how he arrived possibly due to how rough going from one universe to the other would have been. He also clearly took way more power to appear than Agumon did.

No character in Adventure "arrives" in the real world by a giant egg cracking in the sky.

And evolution IS treated differently, even with digivices. Digimon who evolve naturally don't change the way Koromon does into Agumon; and let's not forget Agumon being mindless and twice his usual size in BOTH Child and Adult form.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I will never understand the hate 02 receives, I loved the series and specially the ending.

People changes over time you know, that they're getting closer now doesn't mean they're tied by the red string of fate or whatever.

Tri's writing has its issues regardless it ties with 02.

Why waste time on building up a relationship that is just going to be thrown away at the last minute? It's bad writing.

Why do you like the epilogue?

And why in the world did Matt end up going to Mars

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Except even in Japan no one liked the Epilogue.

show me your source.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm so glad I don't remember half the stuff you guys go on about so I can just enjoy Tri for what it is and not how well it ties into a weak season from nearly two decades ago.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Look, there's only so many times you can form bands on Earth that play the exact same stuff before people get bored of you.

And I'll have you know Knife on Mars became a sensation overnight.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TFRazorsaw posted:

show me your source.

You make the same claims and never back em up so why should he?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

show me your source.

We're not doing this.

We're forum goons talking about a nostalgia anime that's actually aimed at us that's a sequel to a series aimed at us when we were children.

We're not going around and around and around on so much bullshit. I could bring up the fact you don't have any sources either or I could track down some and get ignored or any kind of thing but gently caress it.

I would like to criticize something that is genuinely Not Good and bring up something that could very well be a problem without getting called out on it though. Flatly, if they go straight into the epilogue with zero changes, even something as simple as "Mimi and Izzy got married" or whatever

It will be a mistake and it will negatively impact Tri as a whole.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What I've pointed out about 02 is that it's the highest rated season with the most sold merchandise. As it stands, the only quantifiable audience that hates the epilogue is... people in America. Who are not Tri.'s primary audience. Who knows what Japan thinks?

I can show you the source on those ratings and merchandise stuff if you want.

I just don't believe in setting myself up to expect something that's probably not gonna happen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How would ratings prove your point?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Because it's the ONLY perspective we have on how Japan views or responded to 02 in any way whatsoever?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

What I've pointed out about 02 is that it's the highest rated season with the most sold merchandise. As it stands, the only quantifiable audience that hates the epilogue is... people in America. Who are not Tri.'s primary audience. Who knows what Japan thinks?

I can show you the source on those ratings and merchandise stuff if you want.

I just don't believe in setting myself up to expect something that's probably not gonna happen.

Hello it's me a guy with lots of Japanese friends from Japan that watched Japanese Digimon on Japanese TV and most of them never bothered with 02 and even the ones that did prefer Adventure

I mean sure it's anecdotal evidence but at least it's something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Because it's the ONLY perspective we have on how Japan views or responded to 02 in any way whatsoever?

It really isn't useful in any real way tho.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal evidence. I'm not getting sucked into this further.

Tri. is crawling with stuff from 02. The producers have said what they said. I think people need to just LET GO of this stuff and move on with their lives.

We'll see what happens.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If you could move on it would be swell.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Why should they bother keeping to something that was stupid and poorly written? I mean, that epilogue was okay for the very low standards of a kid's show, but it's very much a Kid's Show Finale. It's not going to cost them any more money or anything to do something else. They just have to think a little bit and, y'know, do better. It's not like you're re-writing the diner scene from The Sopranos.

It's just stock Happily Ever After writing that is stretching credibility and excessively unrealistic. You don't have to go into serious drama territory to make something better. Hell, just make vague allusions that maybe something else happened and leave the door open.

I didn't need to know what these characters were doing at 30 anyway.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The sad thing is that, unless the subject actually comes up, I am generally neutral to Adventure 02. I enjoyed parts of it as a kid, and it was only in retrospect watching it as an adult that most of the really bad writing became apparent.

But unless I'm engaging with Digimon media, I don't go around huffing and puffing about 02 ever because why the gently caress would I? You're saying we're not letting go of it...but the thing is, this isn't us bringing it up unprovoked. it isn't ME doing that.

I'm bringing it up because it is a problem that hopefully will be addressed in Tri. If it isn't, then Tri is going to hurt itself in the long run. I only really think about it in response TO Tri though.

Also yet again, thank you so much Tri for not having fanservice of the girls at the spa. Holy poo poo that was a bullet dodged. Sure we got Rosemon but whatever, I'll take flopping tits from something that looks like an adult woman in fetish wear if we can avoid sexualizing underage girls.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Why waste time on building up a relationship that is just going to be thrown away at the last minute? It's bad writing.

Or the relationship is meant to develop their characters in a different way.

quote:

Why do you like the epilogue?

I loved the message that you can be whatever you want to be as long you put your mind on it and give your best to achieve it. For my twelve-years old self that was a pretty significant message.

quote:

And why not? Is a world where digital creatures exist and parallel words are known, all the bets are off.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

writing that tries to bend over backwards to "fix" something a vocal minority won't be quiet about is always transparent in how forced it is. It's not developing a story organically, it's pandering.

work with what you have, try to make the best story you can out of it. That's what I personally believe in.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal evidence. I'm not getting sucked into this further.

Tri. is crawling with stuff from 02. The producers have said what they said. I think people need to just LET GO of this stuff and move on with their lives.

We'll see what happens.

You're the only one here who isn't letting go, TBH.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Watched determination and it was good. Liked it a bunch but it still sucks we have to wait such a long time for the next one. It wouldn't be so bad if these were like full length movies each with its own contained story, instead of just basically releasing it piece meal but it is what it is.

Also this page got really stupid really fast.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Also this page got really stupid really fast.

This thread always gets really stupid when someone offhandedly suggests that 02 might have some issues with its writing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

tell me that when this thread doesn't devolve into yet more speculation about how 02 is being totally written out every time so much as a word of it is breathed about it, then.

anyway.

New digimon that's gonna be appearing in Digimon Linkz later this year.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

tell me that when this thread doesn't devolve into yet more speculation about how 02 is being totally written out every time so much as a word of it is breathed about it, then.

No one is saying that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

anyway.

New digimon that's gonna be appearing in Digimon Linkz later this year.

I see a sword, RK related?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I doubt it, though it does slightly resemble Gankoomon's partner a little.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It'd be rad if it was just a huge fuckin dinosaur and not part of some kind of group.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

02 isn't being written out so much as de-emphasized. The 02 story was a direct sequel and continuation..but Tri seems to be going out of the way to be a sequel to Adventure first, and only carrying over the bits from 02 that they absolutely have to, like Hikari and Takeru having D3s and Gennai being young.

Ken and Imperialdramon showing up is so far the exception...and we didn't really get any sort of explanation yet on what exactly is going on there. Seeing the 02 kids getting blasted in silhouette and then not even mentioned in passing just seems like a bad move to me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

man, this is just reminding me the last new Ultimate we got just to have a new Ultimate, and not to create or finish off a new group, was RustTyrannomon.

Even Plutomon and Titanomon are part of the Olympos Twelve aggregate.

and RustTyrannomon only got into Re:Digitize Decode because Tyrannomon was one of the earliest Digimon designed and they wanted to do an anniversary thing, too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

02 isn't being written out so much as de-emphasized. The 02 story was a direct sequel and continuation..but Tri seems to be going out of the way to be a sequel to Adventure first, and only carrying over the bits from 02 that they absolutely have to, like Hikari and Takeru having D3s and Gennai being young.

The producers have said that they plan to explain what happened as they go along. I think it's far, far more likely that they're trying to create a mystery than intentionally obfuscate.

something clearly happened. The Adventure kids haven't talked about it because, again, there's no "as you know" moments in the story yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

The producers have said that they plan to explain what happened as they go along. I think it's far, far more likely that they're trying to create a mystery than intentionally obfuscate.

something clearly happened. The Adventure kids haven't talked about it because, again, there's no "as you know" moments in the story yet.

They've got a new character added to the mix that could have easily been used as an audience stand-in for an exposition dump "yeah Mei, we all saved the world a while back. We had these other friends too...but we haven't heard from them since they all went off to check out X strange phenomenon!"

I'll be pleased as punch if everything ties up nicely by the end of Tri's run...but I can only currently judge what's been released this far, and in my opinion the 02 stuff has been deliberately de-emphasized in favor of Adventure stuff.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I imagine Meiko is gonna be used to fill the audience in on stuff in further parts. There's stuff about the rest of their adventure they haven't shared with her either, because they're still getting to know her and it's only been a couple days.

It took them a fair number of episodes for them to inform the 02 kids on stuff that happened in the interim too. I mean, yeah, the emphasis is on Adventure stuff for marketing, but Ken showing up in full Kaiser regalia is still a very blatant thing to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Why would the market towards the less successful season???