Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Burkion posted:

Tommy is RIDICULOUSLY popular, to this day, and MMPR rules the school for fan favorite designs to this day.

You'd think it he was so popular Bandai would have made SRC Dragonzord to go along with the SRC Megazord. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know Burkion. I know all that. I'm well aware of how that line is structured. I know all about MMPR and Tommy's popularity.

The point was made that season 2 of that franchise is "reviled" and that fan esteem is for a later iteration of the franchise. But where does the premium, fan-targeted line get its attention? MMPR. Time Force is a great series, but it's also got a very minor presence compared to other iterations of the franchise. And... yes, this DOES apply outside of selling toys. You don't here references to Time Force's theme song in the three newest series, you hear "Go go Power Rangers."

Of course, the primary focus right now is on Tri. and the first season. But if 02 were as loathed as people keep saying it is, we wouldn't be seeing anything from it at all. Certainly not to the degree that elements of it keep showing up and permeating aspects of Tri.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The only reason we're getting what we're getting in Legacy line so far is because they're going in order.

Similarly, could be the same thing with the 02 stuff in the merch line.

I just don't get it man. No one is saying Tri is trying to wipe out season 2, or that it was REVILED. It's not Xross Wars. It's not Frontier.

It was just not as well liked as season 1, and the ending is pretty universally hated for the most part, even by you. That ending is the one thing that I, personally, hope is fixed. Everything else...

Well let's put it this way. If they were THAT worried about pissing off season 2 fans, Imperialdramon wouldn't have been the defacto major villain of the second movie.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

EDIT - ... actually... just forget it. I'm just gonna stop now. I'm sick today, my thought process is too disjointed... it's not going to be good for anyone if I can't be coherent or consistent. I'll bow out.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 16, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If they were against 02 they wouldn't have made Ken an ambiguous super important figure and have Imperialdramon be the follow-up to loving Alphamon.

I think the whole thought process of "the ending won't be canon anymore! maybe this bit here won't be canon either..." is nothing but people trying to make themselves get headaches discerning what could be canon and not when it's all there, this is loving Digimon Tri, the follow-up to 02 and trilogy end to all Adventure. The most important thing in Reunion is Taichi becoming more thoughtful and diplomatic in a way, which reflects his ambassador job in the epilogue. It was a lovely epilogue at the time, but explaining the broad strokes can still make for interesting tales. Yamato going to Mars is gonna be stupid and hilarious, but we're already getting Sora doing more clothes stuff, Ken doing detective work, I bet Davis' near-death experience has brought the ultimate noodle epiphany and so on.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Hiro's looking good

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My wife decided to re watch the English Digimon Movie. I had completely forgotten about the lovely rap version of the Digimon theme, my god Tai never shuts up, and it's become so painfully obvious how they stitched together 3 different movies; I really don't know how I didn't notice that as a kid.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The first half of Digimon the Movie owns real hard.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Feral Agumom screaming fire at passing aircraft is hilarious.

But yeah, this really is nostalgic as hell for me. My mom took me to the movie in theaters and of course I wore a pair of goggles on my head when I went.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

And the soundtrack is amazing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rhonne posted:

And the soundtrack is amazing.

I was just saying to my wife...we've got this kickin' rad 90s as hell soundtrack over gratuitous destruction of apartment buildings and the like.

Like...people had to have died in that fight!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I was a cynical snarky hormonal 18 year old standing out amongst the families, but I still remember having a dumb grin when they started playing Moby suddenly while Koromon is bouncing around the room.

"Oh! The cat!! Hey, cut it out!"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I will always associate All Star with Digimon more than Shrek.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, the second act just kicks off with no real preamble "oh hey, a virus on the Internet! It's a digiegg! It's hatched!!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rhonne posted:

I will always associate All Star with Digimon more than Shrek.

Oh god, I'm the same way and everyone acts like I'm crazy!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone ever read that alt-Digimon Adventure manga where its all about Tai and his partner digimon is Veedramon?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

Anyone ever read that alt-Digimon Adventure manga where its all about Tai and his partner digimon is Veedramon?

V-Tamer and honestly, it has my favorite story on the whole franchise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

V-Tamer and honestly, it has my favorite story on the whole franchise.

Which one? I remember it being pretty good, once you get over the confusion of Tai not being Tai. IIRC, it was running concurrently with the tv series as main characters of different seasons kept doing crossovers. I think the last crossover was with season 4 so that was probably around when it ended.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Was Mrs. Kamiya' health food obsession in the original? Or is that a dub invention?

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

Was Mrs. Kamiya' health food obsession in the original? Or is that a dub invention?

If I had to take a guess, dub invention. If not, she was probably a bad cook and they reframed it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

Which one? I remember it being pretty good, once you get over the confusion of Tai not being Tai. IIRC, it was running concurrently with the tv series as main characters of different seasons kept doing crossovers. I think the last crossover was with season 4 so that was probably around when it ended.

I mean the series as whole, Tai and Zero are such endearing characters and their adventures are excellent.

I think the manga started a little earlier than the anime but yeah, it ended around the time Frontier was being broadcasted.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mikeycp posted:

The first half of Digimon the Movie owns real hard.

Word. Its the loving best

E: who would have thought that digimon the movie would incorporate many of the meme songs of today....

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I mean the series as whole, Tai and Zero are such endearing characters and their adventures are excellent.

I think the manga started a little earlier than the anime but yeah, it ended around the time Frontier was being broadcasted.

Unfortunate as V-Tamer Taichi and Marcus would get along well, I think.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hehe Infermon taking over New York is a great montage.
and I love that a random barbershop computer has a webcam.

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

Hehe Infermon taking over New York is a great montage.
and I love that a random barbershop computer has a webcam.

He was a very trendy sort. He knew all about them interwebs: he's hip and cool, as the young peoples say.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I love WarGreymon just going bare knuckle against Diaboromon. What a hardass.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Covok posted:

Unfortunate as V-Tamer Taichi and Marcus would get along well, I think.

I seriously doubt Taichi "Tamer's Eye" Yagami would get along with Masaru "PUNCH EVERYTHING" Daimon.

I mean, it'd be the same thing that happened with Takuya, up to eleven.

Also for anyone that asks about any manga: yes, read them. V-Tamer is one of the best stories the franchise has ever had and is far better than most of the anime, Next is worth the read though not as impressive, and Xros Wars is better than the anime.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh man: I'd forgotten how sloppy the editing in the Hurricane Touchdown portion of the film gets. It feels like we're missing the majority of the plot here.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

jivjov posted:

Oh man: I'd forgotten how sloppy the editing in the Hurricane Touchdown portion of the film gets. It feels like we're missing the majority of the plot here.

Mostly because you are, yeah.

Though even with the plot intact that was a terrible movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What the hell is up with TK and Kari being on the train and suddenly ending up in the crazy Willy Wonka tunnel?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Wasn't it also the longest of the three movies and thus had the most cut from it?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's how you make the Digimon movie great.

You watch up to Omnimon killing Diaboramon and then you hard cut to the credits.

gently caress the last half of that movie.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Burkion posted:

Here's how you make the Digimon movie great.

You watch up to Omnimon killing Diaboramon and then you hard cut to the credits.

gently caress the last half of that movie.

Basically, dump 02 junk.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The last half of the movie ends with a digimon ghost dancing to All Star. It's wonderful. :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any explanation in the original for why Seraphimon and Magnadramon can just poo poo out Golden Digi Eggs?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Is there any explanation in the original for why Seraphimon and Magnadramon can just poo poo out Golden Digi Eggs?

Let me answer all of these "In the original is X explained" questions

NOPE

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They should bring back Willis for the next Tri movie.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Or just watch "Our War Game" and "Digimon Adventure" on their own.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

jivjov posted:

Nope. There's no explanation for anything of that, in fact. It starts with Tailmon appearing as Angewomon in spite of this happening in 02, where Perfect Evolution was not possible, but no one ever says anything about it. Then Angemon and Angewomon take their Mega forms, with no explanation whatsoever over why they can do this - and to make it worse, Takeru and Hikari are just as surprised as the audience, but Angemon and Angewomon clearly did it on purpouse. No explanation. And then they release the Golden Digimentals, which was apparently the entire point of evolving, and again nobody knows how they can do it. Oh, and Wallace uses the Digimental of Fate afterwards, in spite of having the original model of Digivice, when the entire point of the D-3s was to allow Armour Evolution.

That scene not only makes no sense, it makes negative sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah but Magnamon is cool and and this is the only other time in the series we get to see him, so it's cool.