Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I wonder if you could get hosed up huffing undiluted moonshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

I wonder if you could get hosed up huffing undiluted moonshine.

Yes you can. I didnt have the thermometer bung in on one of my first distillations and the first cut (all the bad stuff. Methanol acetone and stuff) was bypassing the water jacket condensor and going into the air as a gas. I got very woozy.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
huh i looked up the green whistle cos it looked interesting. i found out that it's not abused as if you were seeking an effect you'd get better results with either nitrous oxide or solvents/glue, the latter group being a small group of retards with likely no access to penthrox.

interestingly there have been incidents of abuse, including a doctor more specifically an anaesthetist (penthrox is an anaesthetic in high doses) with a past history of petrol-sniffing and barbturates, who was also referred for sniffin penthrane DURING operations. The other interesting case was a 39 yr old gynaecologist admitted for jaundice.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Crack posted:

huh i looked up the green whistle cos it looked interesting. i found out that it's not abused as if you were seeking an effect you'd get better results with either nitrous oxide or solvents/glue, the latter group being a small group of retards with likely no access to penthrox.

interestingly there have been incidents of abuse, including a doctor more specifically an anaesthetist (penthrox is an anaesthetic in high doses) with a past history of petrol-sniffing and barbturates, who was also referred for sniffin penthrane DURING operations. The other interesting case was a 39 yr old gynaecologist admitted for jaundice.

I thought i knew just about everything drug related but there you loving go.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

Isaac posted:

Yes you can. I didnt have the thermometer bung in on one of my first distillations and the first cut (all the bad stuff. Methanol acetone and stuff) was bypassing the water jacket condensor and going into the air as a gas. I got very woozy.

i lke how people get paranoid over methanol, you should dispose of a shot or so to start with of course if only because it's believed methanol is one cause of a hangover. but if you think about it, if you distill a bottle of wine you will still get the same ethanol:methanol ratio in the distillate. if diluted down to 40% this comes to the same methanol drinking about 1/3rd a (700ml) bottle of shine as 1 bottle of wine, which is not too bad. Also the cure for methanol poisoning is actually ethanol which is why wine doesn;t make you go blind. in hospitals they hook you up to an ethanol drip as a stopgap to get a transfusion. The problem was in prohibition peope were adding industrial alcohol and methanol as an additive to their moonshine, and it's got bad press since then. I learned all this from a youtube video.

the real worry is lead poisoning, make sure you don;t have lead solder or any lead on any equipment.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
To my understanding methanol is slightly more volatile so you get the bulk of it at the staft of distillation. Wine and thing made from fruit will have methanol which isnt removed and its not like that gives anyone poisoning. So id say you are correct and probably know more about this than me.

I think the methanol website says you can drink some huge amount before getting poisoned. Theres acetone and some other yhing starting with A in the first cut as well.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wonder if its just the tax office making a false flag operation against methanol to get their liquor taxes

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Metho is 5% methanol and 95% ethanol.

From memory, one of the reasons for adding the methanol is to avoid it being taxed as alcohol.

When I was younger there were stories of metho being sold chilled in some places. Never found out whether that's an urban legend or not.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 16, 2016

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

Metho is 5% methanol and 95% ethanol.

From memory, one of the reasons for adding the methanol is to avoid it being taxed as alcohol.

When I was younger there were stories of metho being sold chilled in some places. Never found out whether that's an urban legend or not.

Ive heard that story as well. its always slme bloke on talkback radio in small town NT saying theres chilled metho every few years.

Word is they just put a bittering agent or something in it now.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Bottom line is its still alot cheaper to make shine than it is to drink metho

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

Isaac posted:

I wonder if its just the tax office making a false flag operation against methanol to get their liquor taxes

Yeah I think it's this, they have a massive vested interest in "moonshine is bad" because if it became common knowlege that it's really easy to make safely and most "on the street" is safe - save for lead in too many cases - they'd have a harder time banning it or stopping people buying it when public opinion turned. Currently I think most people would not drink moonshine out of fear of methanol poisoning, even though in a study (from 2004) that analyzed 48 shine samples methanol was only found in 1 at 0.11%. However, lead was detected in 43/48 samples.

You're correct about it being lighter / more volatile which is why it comes through first. Same with acetone. Just got to remember anything coming through you'd be drinking from the mash / wine / beer anyway, it's the outside contaminents (eg lead) you should be diligent about.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Isaac posted:

Word is they just put a bittering agent or something in it now.

Some do and some don't. There's a thread on Whirlpool about which metho is "safe" to distil and which still contains methanol.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Crack posted:

Yeah I think it's this, they have a massive vested interest in "moonshine is bad" because if it became common knowlege that it's really easy to make safely and most "on the street" is safe - save for lead in too many cases - they'd have a harder time banning it or stopping people buying it when public opinion turned. Currently I think most people would not drink moonshine out of fear of methanol poisoning, even though in a study (from 2004) that analyzed 48 shine samples methanol was only found in 1 at 0.11%. However, lead was detected in 43/48 samples.

You're correct about it being lighter / more volatile which is why it comes through first. Same with acetone. Just got to remember anything coming through you'd be drinking from the mash / wine / beer anyway, it's the outside contaminents (eg lead) you should be diligent about.

I dont understand how someone could have the know how to make a still yet be retarded enough to use lead solder or pipes. It boggles the mind.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

Some do and some don't. There's a thread on Whirlpool about which metho is "safe" to distil and which still contains methanol.

I thought rechochem made all metho turps kero etc. I think they sell it as "diggers" or soemthing.

Anyway a bottle of metho is 5 bux for a litre and you can make like 9 litres of good booze for $12

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

i javent been on whirlpool for a long tome but its fascinating how some broadband comparison forum is like the heart of australian forums.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
in any case it's definately worth trying to get rid of as much methanol etc as possible, i don't have anything but anecdotal evidence but it's believed that congeners are a massive cause of hangovers, which is why higher quality vodkas will give you less of one than a bottom of the barrel supermarket brand.

In theory a perfect vodka with only ethanol and water should not give you a hangover at all, if you define it as the direct after-effects of drinking and not waking up dehydrated and hungry.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
almost all the adult men in my family make shine and everyone will say the biggeat problem is how not hungover you are the next day. Meaning you get totally ratshit every night without a hangover.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Australian beer will give you a hangover from maybe 6 beers. German beer maybe 16. Clean filtered shine you can drink a whole bottle worth and feel better than if you were drinking smirnoff

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

tbf smirnoff is poo poo.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I live in a shed attached to a legal distillery. My room got overpowered with raw barley madh smell. Found the water disconnectdd ti the still so its shooting burning hot grain alcohol into the air. Glad i fixed that before passing out

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

fyodor posted:

tbf smirnoff is poo poo.

Yes it is but its the borderline between rotgut and cheap vodka. If it didnt exist we would need to create it and all that.

Hobo Pyro
Oct 17, 2010
if i read all of isaac's posts in richard ayoade's voice it makes everything 10x better for some reason

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Isaac posted:

I live in a shed attached to a legal distillery. My room got overpowered with raw barley madh smell. Found the water disconnectdd ti the still so its shooting burning hot grain alcohol into the air. Glad i fixed that before passing out

hahahah

please dont die

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I've been on a month probation but i've been checking this thread every day
loving amazing

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nonviolent J posted:

I've been on a month probation but i've been checking this thread every day
loving amazing

Thanks. I hope you last more than a day or two before your next probation.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Seeing as it's Saturday, what time do you start?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nonviolent J posted:

Seeing as it's Saturday, what time do you start?

Ive got a wash i need to do but i dont have enough glass to store it into. I could scrounge up some wine bottles and bottle some older batches.

I wasnt going to do it today but i think i will now. Gonna clean the kitchen or something first so ive done something useful today.

Also slightly concerned you know my schedule

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I ment drinking

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nonviolent J posted:

I ment drinking

Oh lol. As soon as my mum gets home and sees i havent started drinking yet. Then ill start drinkin

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Gonna start shining this turboyeast wash i got. This ones pretty straight forward same as the last one

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Isaac posted:

Oh lol. As soon as my mum gets home and sees i havent started drinking yet. Then ill start drinkin

that home with the fam life, micro choices to have the illusion of ive got it together ya'll

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shaquin posted:

that home with the fam life, micro choices to have the illusion of ive got it together ya'll

EGGcactly

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Why don't you save some of that booze for tomorrow?

Because there will be more tomorrow what kind of questioning is this

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shaquin posted:

Why don't you save some of that booze for tomorrow?

Because there will be more tomorrow what kind of questioning is this

i keep so much grog around there i could never get through it in a day. Prevents that kind of question

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
90mins in and ive already got a litre of 88%

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ive gotten drunk so i cant remember times noe but ive got 4 litres and shes still flowing fast

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I dunno where my alcometer is but the % is getting low enough it will make a cigarette harder to light than easier to light

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
hi isaac. I just read your whole thread and I want to tell you its a real good thread. I like it and im going to check back often, it also make sm e wanna have one more drink before bed.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im now at like 6L i gotta find my allchometre becasue this surely is mostly water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Flies like thermometres

• Locked thread