Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

A mighty slidey bitey whitey.
https://twitter.com/With_Gir4ffE/status/709337423625347074

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tried letting both birds into one cage, again.

They seem to be getting along well like this. Seems this is acceptable, at least.
There's been a few disagreements, but I think they're learning to share the space too.

Also, this is the first time I've seen Pion use his claw to hold food!

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I can't handle this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y5Yng_3nsI

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sometimes when I'm playing video games Ama likes to hang out in my desk overhang and just hold my hand :3: This is his cute hand-holding face:

But sometimes it's a loving trap and when he grasps my finger it means he's about to start wrestling my other fingers and boy howdy he gets very excited when we wrestle and my fingertips end up roundly defeated by his beak and very very sore.

This is the trap face.

Watch out for the trap face.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I was lying on my bed playing with my phone when suddenly Toast decided it was the perfect moment to express his affection by regurgitating right into my mouth :barf:

e: also, funny birb gifv

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 19, 2016

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

nielsm posted:

They seem to be getting along well like this. Seems this is acceptable, at least.
There's been a few disagreements, but I think they're learning to share the space too.

Also, this is the first time I've seen Pion use his claw to hold food!

everything being posted is amazing but I just wanted to say your photos are so nice and fancy

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This is the trap face.

BUT IT SAYS I LOVE YOU

/Takes nail off.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We are living in a temporary setup while our townhouse is being built, and our computer desk is an old oak dining table which we put my computer and my wifes laptop on. It affords ample room for Scout to run around on and it turns out she loves a) keyboards, 2) mice, 3) looking straight down at crumbs.

She gets really really possessive of the keyboard and will fight my fingers if I try to type on it.

mikerock fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 19, 2016

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sometimes when I'm playing video games Ama likes to hang out in my desk overhang and just hold my hand :3: This is his cute hand-holding face:

But sometimes it's a loving trap and when he grasps my finger it means he's about to start wrestling my other fingers and boy howdy he gets very excited when we wrestle and my fingertips end up roundly defeated by his beak and very very sore.

This is the trap face.

would scritch that trap face

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

GoldStandardConure posted:

would scritch that trap face

This attitude explains your avatar

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pion status: He's flying normally again. No trouble staying airborne and no trouble steering. So I don't really know what was wrong yesterday afternoon, but probably wasn't anything serious then.

I also ended up moving Pion back to his usual cage for the night. He and Putni kept fighting for the same sleeping spot inside Putni's cage.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Pion forgot how to bird. Potato status confirmed.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

everything being posted is amazing but I just wanted to say your photos are so nice and fancy
Seriously, the lighting is so nice. Like you live in a giant sunroom :3:

We facetimed with my niece, who's just over a year and a half old, and when we showed her Judah she was totally fascinated. As was he. They both kept tilting their heads at each other and making little noises, it was great.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
He has a dslr with a very nice lens by the looks of it

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

I was with my mom in petco today picking up some food and we went and looked at the parrots again. Two conures approached the glass when they saw me and started doing tricks, one of them kept rolling over. I told my mom they were probably just trying to entice me to come closer to bite me. I mentioned the roll over trick to the cashier and she said the same thing "its just a trick to lure you in"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

He has a dslr with a very nice lens by the looks of it

Yes, a full frame camera and 90 mm macro lens. I end up mostly photographing the birds in the afternoon, where I have sun through the large western wall window. So combo of gear and lighting :)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

nielsm posted:

Look at his poofy baby face!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Cockatoos always look like they're having the most fun of any creature on earth. The most fun possibly contained in a cubic foot of white fuzz. Yeah, sometimes it's a Patrick Bateman kind of happy but still.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember which of you mentioned getting the budgie-sized Zupreem pellets for their tiel rather than the actual cockatiel-sized ones, but I love you. I did that for Judah and the mess is so much less now, it's like he's not wasting half of it.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I'm moving soon. I've always managed to find apartments that are adequate for the bird; great window, far from the kitchen, etc. I am moving in with my girlfriend soon however, and time is running out to decide where we want to live.

The best option we have is a gorgeous apartment, but my office / bird room is adjacent to the kitchen. While I own no non stick products and follow the basic rules for cooking, do some of the more fear mongering sites out there write the truth? Is keeping the door closed not enough?

My other option is the other bedroom that has no window. She owns a cat and while it is declawed and a coward and I own a flight cage, having the bird in a common area is not an option. I might fit the inside of the door hinges with rubber seals to add some protection. Is that enough or am I looking at definitely poisoning my bird? Do I cook with the windows open?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

You're fine in the nice apartment. I've lived in an apartment where the kitchen was the living room was the birdroom, and now my kitchen is connected to the living room, albeit a ways away, and have never had an issue. Just open the windows if you're frying something, don't run the broiler with cheese 1" under it, and don't let your oven do the "self clean".

As long as you're not making a teflon omelet you're fine. If you're not using nonstick, I think anything that would endanger your birbs will also be causing damage to your home (ie: fire, smoke, etc) and you'll have bigger fish to fry. Don't worry about it, and don't let anything catch on fire and you'll be just fine. Fear mongering sites are just that, people that :tinfoil: to the point where they believe that dihydrogen monoxide is actually poison.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The camera on this Nexus 5X I just got is shockingly good. Still not as good as my DSLR, but goddamn:

This image is cropped a fair bit!

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
For a phone thats amazing.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

The camera on this Nexus 5X I just got is shockingly good. Still not as good as my DSLR, but goddamn:

This image is cropped a fair bit!
I want to preen those couple of pinfeathers so bad my fingers kind of start pinching together of their own volition :3: What a handsome bird.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tendai posted:

I want to preen those couple of pinfeathers so bad my fingers kind of start pinching together of their own volition :3: What a handsome bird.

Yeah, I've been getting them as best I can but she's sensitive about her cheek feathers, and they grow in so fast! She's just been going through a molt.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, I've been getting them as best I can but she's sensitive about her cheek feathers, and they grow in so fast! She's just been going through a molt.
Judah is exactly like that and has also been moulting, the pinfeathers on his cheek spots are driving me insane :mad: JUST LET ME PICK THEM OFF BIRD WE'LL BOTH BE HAPPIER.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Whenever I sing or "meh meh meh" a song to Toast, he starts squeaking insistently. I don't know whether it is him trying to join in (lovebirds are not the most musical of birds) or shrieking at me to stop.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I was looking at Gotcha the Cockatoo's instagram account and I noticed that his owner just had a baby! I can't imagine how difficult it must be to look after a newborn and still make sure a crazy cockatoo gets the attention and freedom he needs without biting the fingers off of the little child.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
i swear bobby is a new species of bird that realises he has no pin feathers left and then grows more.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

mikerock posted:

This attitude explains your avatar

I do have a very bad habit of getting bitten by strange birds.

"Surely THIS time the parrot isn't tricking me and actually wants a scratch" *gets bitten. again*

But someone in AusPol bought me this avatar because back in November I had a lung transplant.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

more putin

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

more putin

*zzzz* pew pew take that passenger plane *zzzzzz* fuk u Czechoslovakia *zzzz* say that to my face Tony Abbott, I'll bite u

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

*zzzz* pew pew take that passenger plane *zzzzzz* fuk u Czechoslovakia *zzzz* say that to my face Tony Abbott, I'll bite u
I'd be way more likely to support a dictator if they had a crest and cute orange cheek patches, gotta be honest here.

Saw this elsewhere and every time I see it I start laughing so much I just let it go on repeat:

https://i.imgur.com/zjy1WRI.webm

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Tendai posted:

I'd be way more likely to support a dictator if they had a crest and cute orange cheek patches, gotta be honest here.

Saw this elsewhere and every time I see it I start laughing so much I just let it go on repeat:

Toast isn't the only birb who tries to bathe in spinach? :eyepop:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tendai posted:

You say that but Trump's hair is basically a crest

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Startled by the flash, made him jump and it caught him midway

Serious face of a serious bird

You can zoom in and see the pearl-like markings quite clearly, do all lutinos have those?

Bonus Good Blurb

Tendai posted:

I underappreciated budgies for far too many years

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Steve is a pretty boy :derptiel:

Ohtori is also a pretty boy, albeit one with a crazed look in his eye

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Battle Pigeon posted:

Startled by the flash, made him jump and it caught him midway

Bonus Good Blurb

I underappreciated budgies for far too many years
Is that some type of green cheek?

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
Since we're posting birdie salads...

https://www.facebook.com/phyllis.krugman/videos/10206793710655189/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://vine.co/v/iwlIqVP0LTu