Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Deedle posted:

All the calibration in the world won't eliminate planer snipe though. Even when talking microscopic passes like I do, it still tends to eat about 35mm on either end.

looka this noob. lift the board from the infeed side going in and the outfeed side going out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Mr. Mambold posted:

looka this noob. lift the board from the infeed side going in and the outfeed side going out
That sounds like way too much effort. I was just gonna build a nice long insert table for it. Something that has half a metre of table on either end.

If I want to lift stuff I'll go to the gym.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Deedle posted:

That sounds like way too much effort. I was just gonna build a nice long insert table for it. Something that has half a metre of table on either end.

If I want to lift stuff I'll go to the gym.

Haha. Just elevate the table at either ends maybe 5 degrees, you should be good to go.

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

swampface posted:

I thought it was because the outfeed table was low, so I shimmed it up. I do have a longer straightedge now, so I should probably spend another afternoon mucking about with it.

I would definitely do this. The only way for this to really happen is if your tables aren't coplanar, particularly if the outfeed table is sagging at the far end of the table to a point below the cutterhead.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Yay for eBay, found a nice usee #5 plane for $50 (plus shipping). Got an eye rolling from the wife until she looked at new plane prices.

Now to practice building... A box!

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
You have embarked on a journey guaranteed to change the way you view furniture, trees, and sharp things.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Today I had a nice example for where a hand tool just did the job better and faster. I had a piece of 3/4" plywood i needed to rip, but both sides where in rough shape, no safe way to rip it and get one true edge... Sure I could joint it and ruin the blades (don't joint plywood), or I could spend time and effort in building a one off jig to joint the thing on my table saw.

Or I just put the thing in my bench vise and run over the edge with my 116 year old #7 jointer plane. Took 5 minutes.

Hand tools, when you need them, you are really glad to have them.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The more you do this the more you end up using power tools just for ripping and thicknessing.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Today I had a nice example for where a hand tool just did the job better and faster. I had a piece of 3/4" plywood i needed to rip, but both sides where in rough shape, no safe way to rip it and get one true edge... Sure I could joint it and ruin the blades (don't joint plywood), or I could spend time and effort in building a one off jig to joint the thing on my table saw.

Or I just put the thing in my bench vise and run over the edge with my 116 year old #7 jointer plane. Took 5 minutes.

Hand tools, when you need them, you are really glad to have them.

You could have tacked a straightedge to the plywood and ripped off a bad side. If your 116 year old jointer plane did the trick without getting scarred up, powerful tool.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Nostratic posted:

Yay for eBay, found a nice usee #5 plane for $50 (plus shipping). Got an eye rolling from the wife until she looked at new plane prices.

Now to practice building... A box!

Awesome. What kind did you get? Good luck with the box!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Built a cedar box for my mom. Felt good to finally get back into the shop for the first time since Christmas.

I still kind of suck at getting even coats with shellac but I'm going to blame the brush for now. I'm thinking maybe I should cut the bristles shorter or just get a better brush.

Hard to tell without any scale but it's about the size of a shoe box.
https://imgur.com/a/xxi8L

Edit: I was using my incra box joint jig and for once didn't check the calibration on it before cutting all the joints. Of course it had drifted and they were juuuust a bit too tight to fit. I managed to persuade it together with a rubber mallet. One of the end pieces split in half but it's held in place by the fingers on either side so it's not super obvious and still very solid. Time will tell if more cracks will open up I guess.

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 19, 2016

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

swampface posted:

Nope, just flattening one side. When I need to make multiple passes, the 'front' end of the board always ends up significantly thinner than the back end. Maybe that's just to be expected but it doesn't seem right to me. I've tested it on fairly straight stock and it always seems to be the case.

I thought it was because the outfeed table was low, so I shimmed it up. I do have a longer straightedge now, so I should probably spend another afternoon mucking about with it.

I make sure I've got a sacrificial board (or just one with a bad check on one end) to go through first and run everything through mine at the same time. At least all the snipe is in the same place that way.

Not to jump on a hate train here, but no joiner should ever have any snipe of any sort. Even my 6" made in 1932 produces glue-ready flatness across any length. You MUST shift your feed weight to the outfeed table, whoever above said they don't.

To be helpful: Why are you shimming anything? Doesn't the jointer have table adjustments? Ideally, you should be able to adjust 2 sides and rough height, if not all 4 corners of each table.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mr. Mambold posted:

You could have tacked a straightedge to the plywood and ripped off a bad side. If your 116 year old jointer plane did the trick without getting scarred up, powerful tool.

The cutting edge takes a beating, but compared to a jointer blade it's super easy to resharpen.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm terrible at identifying wood and I'm hoping someone could give me a hand with a couple. Any ideas on what kind of wood these two different legs are? Imgur album

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm terrible at identifying wood and I'm hoping someone could give me a hand with a couple. Any ideas on what kind of wood these two different legs are? Imgur album

I had some just like it I salvaged from discarded furniture and never did identify the species. It is medium hardness and somewhat open pored, almost like a straight grained blond version of walnut. Pores are too small for ash. Disclaimer I'm looking at the pictures on my phone.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

I had some just like it I salvaged from discarded furniture and never did identify the species. It is medium hardness and somewhat open pored, almost like a straight grained blond version of walnut. Pores are too small for ash. Disclaimer I'm looking at the pictures on my phone.

Its imported, real common. I thought from Taiwan or Japan but it could be soutth America lumber.... i could be wrong.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

wormil posted:

Butternut?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GEMorris posted:

Butternut?

Possible, but I think Mambold is right about it being an import. I seem to remember a China or Taiwan sticker

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bought a bunch of second hand tools today.

The planes are long overdue, the POS Stanley I bought from new a while ago has a massively curved sole and is likely most useful for making round tables. These are actually flat.

Marking gauge and router plane will also be useful. Hand drill, mostly for the heck of it... my electric drill drains battery rather fast.

The router plane needs full restoration, the iron has caught plenty of rust, and the body might also benefit from some additional planing and maybe surface treatment.

Only I'm having trouble disassembling both smoothing planes. I've given the long one plenty of whacks on the back end seemingly without the wedge loosening, and the regular one has some mechanism I can't figure out.
Going to experiment some more.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
That brace will definitely be your friend if you have to drive a nice big auger bit. Even corded electric drills get a bit upset If I try.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I love my grrripper

This would have been a piece of scrap but in was able to cut it to the 1" piece of trim I needed between 2 doors.

Also made a thing it's a simple box for a dog bed mostly to test out the new table saw.. it was great having a saw that didn't try and throw wood at me, (old one had no pawl, riving knife or guard), had a t lock fence (old one had 2 pipes and you needed to measure when you locked front and back part of the fence) and that has dust collection.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cross posting this from the quick questions thread for more exposure.

Larrymer posted:

That spring broke on a rental place I was at, nothing happened in the aftermath. It is true that it has a lot of energy if it did fail but I don't really know if it can go anywhere since it's on a shaft, so it can only move left and right on that shaft. Check the ends of the shaft and if it doesn't look too sturdy, then I might do something but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much. I'd let somebody else weigh in that might know better, though. :v:

I'm looking for help on fixing a cool old chair that lost the assembly for one of the wheels. I'm a decently handy guy with cars but I don't know the best way to go about fixing it. Pictures will explain it better than words.

Cool rear end chair:

Failure:

Hogged out hole in bottom of chair:

Side view and view of one of the other good legs/rollers:

I don't want to throw a bunch of glue at it, and I thought I could just run a large, stubby bolt up through that would get some purchase on the larger hole but I don't want to damage the chair any more than I have to to fix it. What do you guys think would be best?

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
The answer you got over there was what I was going to suggest - fill it with a dowel, drill a new hole into that.

Comedy WTF option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP7RbWmiDN8

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Free Market Mambo posted:

You have embarked on a journey guaranteed to change the way you view furniture, trees, and sharp things.

Very true! I find myself noticing how some things are built now, like my sister's coffee table - just simple stuff, like how it was assembled and shaped, thinking about how the legs might have been made, stuff like that. Pretty cool.

mds2 posted:

Awesome. What kind did you get? Good luck with the box!

I got a #5 Stanley.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

The answer you got over there was what I was going to suggest - fill it with a dowel, drill a new hole into that.

Comedy WTF option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP7RbWmiDN8

I appreciate his enthusiasm. That chair is an abomination.

Nostratic posted:

I got a #5 Stanley.

Sup first plane owner buddy!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

A guy on a local trade group has all these maple blocks for trade/sale. He said he got them cleaning out a storage locker from an old strip mall. There is more than what's in the pic, 11,000 total.

quote:

I have 2000 to 3000 of these solid maple bricks.
2-3/4" x 16" x 1.5" thick.
Square, planed, sanded, beautiful wood!!!
Wood workers now the value of these.
I'm using them as firewood, but would rather see the wood go to a greater use!

He wants $1.50 - $2.00 per block, or equivalent in trade.
He said he'd give me "hundreds of blocks" for some old SNES games I have laying around. So I'm gonna price them all out on ebay and see if I can get an even better deal per $.

I want to use these to make a ton of cutting boards for a local craft show and maybe etsy. Help pay for this wedding I got coming up.
My main worry is because the pic is outside if they've gotten water on them they may be ruined to be used as cutting boards. I'll have to inspect them for sure.

Any thoughts on this deal? Is it good or bad? Should I avoid it or get as many as I can? Any ideas for other projects that aren't cutting boards?

The guy claims to have 11,000 blocks. If anyone else is interested this is located in Hamilton, Ontario. I could put you in touch.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The Canadian Maple Brick Reserve.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

A guy on a local trade group has all these maple blocks for trade/sale. He said he got them cleaning out a storage locker from an old strip mall. There is more than what's in the pic, 11,000 total.

He wants $1.50 - $2.00 per block, or equivalent in trade.
He said he'd give me "hundreds of blocks" for some old SNES games I have laying around. So I'm gonna price them all out on ebay and see if I can get an even better deal per $.

I want to use these to make a ton of cutting boards for a local craft show and maybe etsy. Help pay for this wedding I got coming up.
My main worry is because the pic is outside if they've gotten water on them they may be ruined to be used as cutting boards. I'll have to inspect them for sure.

Any thoughts on this deal? Is it good or bad? Should I avoid it or get as many as I can? Any ideas for other projects that aren't cutting boards?

The guy claims to have 11,000 blocks. If anyone else is interested this is located in Hamilton, Ontario. I could put you in touch.

Get as many as you can.If you're worried about water get a moisture meter. Already dried blocks are prone to drying back to ambient temps.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So my wife and I are moving out of our rented house into a condo next month. It's a very quiet neighborhood (mostly the elderly and "young professionals") so I really would prefer not to make a racket on the balcony. I don't want to use anything louder than a power drill to work on things at home, but I also don't want to get rid of the nice table saw I got for Christmas.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? If so, what do you do? Are there workshops or public places where you can just do your really noisy work?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Free Market Mambo posted:

The Canadian Maple Brick Reserve.

Our government did recently sell our entire gold reserve, so I guess this is all we have left!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

DizzyBum posted:

So my wife and I are moving out of our rented house into a condo next month. It's a very quiet neighborhood (mostly the elderly and "young professionals") so I really would prefer not to make a racket on the balcony. I don't want to use anything louder than a power drill to work on things at home, but I also don't want to get rid of the nice table saw I got for Christmas.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? If so, what do you do? Are there workshops or public places where you can just do your really noisy work?

For any work you plan on doing in the condo, you're going to have to be hand tool centric and even then hammering out mortises and chopping dovetails can make a racket.

I'd suggest finding a makerspace or craft center type place with power tools to do your rough dimensioning work at, then do your joinery at home.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

I'm wondering if I can reuse the caster if I do this. It looks like the pin is press fit into the leg and the spiky bits dig in to the leg to keep the caster housing from spinning. Sound about right?

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

DizzyBum posted:

Are there workshops or public places where you can just do your really noisy work?

See if there's storage places that have electricity in their units. I don't see you doing work without paying additional rent or membership somewhere. Some people like doing this because it gets rid of clutter to a unit, but it does add to your expenses.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Let that storage space know what you plan on doing most aren't insured for anyone to do anything other than store poo poo in their box.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm putting together a unit that's going to house my router table, I need a metric t-track nut/bolt set, like this but not UNC Any suggestions in the UK?

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Cakefool posted:

I'm putting together a unit that's going to house my router table, I need a metric t-track nut/bolt set, like this but not UNC Any suggestions in the UK?

At work we use unc only for slotted extrusions but my metric blacklist might help: iTem from Germany, 80/20inc, Bosch, Futura (TSLOTS), and misumi. You will have to build your own kit BOM.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Larrymer posted:

I'm wondering if I can reuse the caster if I do this. It looks like the pin is press fit into the leg and the spiky bits dig in to the leg to keep the caster housing from spinning. Sound about right?

Yes. Here's a guy who didn't bother filling the hole to make it fit properly, and just stuffed some glue in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5zESSv8VXY

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Cool, I will see if I can find a wooden dowel and do some drilling and hammering. Thanks. :)

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Any of you guys ever use a sliding table saw?

My darling of a fiancee has both agreed to have me build a workshop in our new back yard, and upgrade a tool or two so that I can build our new furniture safely.

My shop will be a bit on the narrow side (11' wide, 25' long). I was going to go for a 3hp SawStop until someone said "Hey, you should look at a Hammer". Looked at the K3 Basic, and yup... that's an amazing and safe machine. I now realize how many more benefits the Sliding TS provides over Hot Dog Technology, which is just a regular old cabinet saw. With the slider, there's barely a reason to get your hands within a foot of the blade. Assuming I can upgrade my bandsaw to a Laguna, I probably won't need to do thin ripping on the TS any more. There's a slider attachment for the SawStop, but it adds a lot to the footprint of the saw and the sliding component is a foot away from the blade (as opposed to adjacent to it). It also ends up being more than the Hammer K3 Basic.

I know, I know, nice problem to have... but would appreciate if any of you have experience with either/both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I've never used one so take this for what it's worth. Sliders are loving awesome. I recently discovered my old neighbor directly behind me is a woodworker too. He has a grizzly slider, loving sweet saw.

I don't know anything about hammer saws either. They are pretty pricey, right?

For me, if I could, I would get the saw stop with the slider. I like the hotdog technology. It gives good piece of mind, if the very worst were to happen. Say I slip, trip, get bumped, kickback, etc, and into the blade I go. I like that extra piece of mind that no other cabinet saw has. I don't care about the politics of it or whatnot, I like the safety feature. Add on a slider and you have a great saw.