Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

It's a real weird feeling in modern anime that something with 90+ eps was cancelled

Both Plutonis and an Italian friend of mine told me it was decidedly mediocre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Parallax posted:

I wonder what else adultswim would try and bring back though if this is a success

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL BUY A MILLION OF THIS NEW FLCL IF IT GETS US A ANIME OF GUNDAM WING FROZEN TEARDROP

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Saint Seiya Soul of Gold was also an original sequel focusing on side characters, and it was pretty good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I may watch Cutie Honey this weekend, if it's streaming somewhere. Probably not though

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

man i don't think anyone watched any of the shows he co-wrote for. literally all i can find is a single comment talking about how no one subbed it. barely registered on japanese blogs either

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

wouldn't osomatsu-san count? it's a new anime decades later and even though there's source material it doesn't really seem relevant to the current anime

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Saint Seiya Omega S1 was pretty fun and charming for generic, no-budget shonen, and Yuna was pretty awesome. S2 was a soulless, focus-grouped mess that brought over none of the first season's positives. Luckily, the first one was totally self-contained, so no big loss there, even if I did grow fond of the cast and would have liked to see more of their journeys and relationships (which S2 gleefully ditched in favour of hollow fanservice of the original show).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

In Training posted:

I may watch Cutie Honey this weekend, if it's streaming somewhere. Probably not though

i don't see any of the Cutie Honeys on because.moe
Re: is a nice and short intro to the series, the original is a 70's anime so it's not for everyone.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Both Plutonis and an Italian friend of mine told me it was decidedly mediocre

I'll trust the judgment of those who know Saint Seiya well

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

wouldn't osomatsu-san count? it's a new anime decades later and even though there's source material it doesn't really seem relevant to the current anime

thats more of a revival id say, we were talking direct sequels

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

although actually

it totally is a direct sequel

osomatsu rules either way

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Parallax posted:

TTGL makes sense, maybe Gundam Wing? now that I think about there isn't a lot that's been on adult swim/toonami recently that makes sense to bring back

Man if AS finances frozen teardrop its going to be amazing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Parallax posted:

TTGL makes sense, maybe Gundam Wing? now that I think about there isn't a lot that's been on adult swim/toonami recently that makes sense to bring back

Sunrise would never let them make a gundam show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
In other news, the Sangatsu show looks like it's hewing close to the original art style, which could look gorgeous in motion

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

KoB posted:

I don't really think there's a chance they'd make a sequel to gundam wing, but if they did adult swim would just be a producer, not actually be making it

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

KoB posted:

co-produce, like they're doing with FLCL, not make.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Parallax posted:

I don't really think there's a chance they'd make a sequel to gundam wing, but if they did adult swim would just be a producer, not actually be making it

Frozen Teardrop has Quatre's daughter, who looks exactly like Quatre, piloting an evil wing zero custom

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wow, Active Raid's finale was really inert. It was actually kind of amusing how little of a poo poo everyone seemed to give, including the characters.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm watching FLCL right now because of the new FLCL announcement

it's good

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
New FLCL. An anime that had a great ending, an anime that does not require a sequel, an anime that is being co-produced by an American cartoon company. I'm not gonna judge it yet, but I'm not too optimistic.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm gonna judge it, and my judgement is that it'll be bad

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Namtab posted:

I'm gonna judge it, and my judgement is that it'll be bad

Okay, yeah. I was being nice about it, come to think of it. It will be a loving disaster.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Life's too short to be negative about things

I think it will be cool and good just like this first season is cool and good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Wow, Active Raid's finale was really inert. It was actually kind of amusing how little of a poo poo everyone seemed to give, including the characters.

Active raid was a wet fart of a show. The high point was the episode where that woman just wouldn't shut up about trains, which accomplished nothing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

rear end posted:

New FLCL. An anime that had a great ending, an anime that does not require a sequel, an anime that is being co-produced by an American cartoon company. I'm not gonna judge it yet, but I'm not too optimistic.

Money from America is cool, actually

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

US dollars paid for the first GitS movie and the second season of Big O

The first one was kinda lol though because Manga Ent. was expecting a big action blockbuster and got 60 minutes of people talking and ten minutes of guns.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if they are making unexpected sequels then gently caress gundam wing. big o. season 3. c'mon, make it happen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

rear end posted:

American money got us Big O season 2, and I'll thank you not to besmirch it. I look forward to FLCL: Yuri Edition.

Also I dare not dream of an adult swim-funded Frozen Teardrop or Big O season 3 The disappointment of either not being real would crush me.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

chumbler posted:

American money got us Big O season 2, and I'll thank you not to besmirch it. I look forward to FLCL: Yuri Edition.

Also I dare not dream of an adult swim-funded Frozen Teardrop or Big O season 3 The disappointment of either not being real would crush me.

Prepare to be crushed

kater
Nov 16, 2010

FLCL feels like such a vapid decision. Like of course that is the easiest thing to revive because you can do whatever the gently caress you want and add the name and make your money. Still, moderately interested. At the very least only 6 episodes means it won't be Eureka AO levels of torture.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Serious Frolicking posted:

Active raid was a wet fart of a show. The high point was the episode where that woman just wouldn't shut up about trains, which accomplished nothing.

Tell me more about the anime trainfan that sounds like a good waste of a half-hour.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zenostein posted:

Tell me more about the anime trainfan that sounds like a good waste of a half-hour.

Rail Wars is not a very good show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zenostein posted:

One of the support staff wouldn't shut up about trains. She used her in-depth knowledge of train dioramas to figure out a criminal's motivation and then tried to appeal to a love of trains to get him to surrender, but that didn't even matter and he ended up dying and leaving his sick child an orphan. I guess it was just a hobby for him and not an unhealthy obsession.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Unpopular opinion: I liked the Active Raid finale. It wrapped up a season, rather than the whole show, and got rid of an admittedly weak villain with a decent sequence.

That said, I never expected the series to be anything more than goofy antics with a few procedural elements. And that's what it was. Nothing truly serious. There were a bunch of current and/or former Tokusatsu people (Naruhisa Arakawa, Toshiki Inoue, etc) writing scripts for the show and the series reflected the silliness of said genre more than any other, even when the stakes were raised. Which I guess totally restricts the appeal of the show, especially outside of Japan. In short, it's Dekaranger meets Metal Jack, not Patlabor meets Psycho-Pass.

I'd say the high point was episode 6 with the giant robot nostalgia. Not train otaku, which was kind of lame. But I still mostly enjoyed the last few episodes after that one.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 25, 2016

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Phobophilia posted:

In other news, the Sangatsu show looks like it's hewing close to the original art style, which could look gorgeous in motion

:aaaaa:

How did I miss the announcement that 3-gatsu is getting an anime? I love the manga, and drat that art looks great (if maybe a bit "too clean" but that's just bias from being used to the source material). This year is making me very happy with so many of my favorite mangas getting picked up for series. Flying Witch, Sakamoto, and now this gem.

As for FLCL 2 and 3 I'll just keep my expectations mediocre and maybe it will be a pleasant surprise, who know?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I remember Adult Swim spending a few years being really bitter and passive aggressive towards their audience because they didn't give Big O enough of a chance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

has there ever been a revival like this that's been good?

not in a "this is definitely gonna suck" way, just every example i can think of doesn't work out well and im curious if there's a counter example im missing
yamato 2199

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Command Ant posted:

I remember Adult Swim spending a few years being really bitter and passive aggressive towards their audience because they didn't give Big O enough of a chance.

That is justified, because big o is wonderful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

That is justified, because big o is wonderful.
it isn't really justified, because western fans were the only reason big o got a season 2 to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
That came out of nowhere. So will Naota have the fake eyebrows now?

• Locked thread