Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm going to be moving and I was wondering if it would be possible to transplant my tomatoes to bring them with me or if they have been in the ground too long. I planted them three weeks ago, can I dig them up or is it best to just get new ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Sprouts are coming up and doing well :toot:

Carrots and radishes are doing their thing in the raised beds. Woo!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Motronic posted:

I don't think you understand what is being said here.

No one is suggesting the seeds can't germinate and even grow into trees. What fruit you get off of those trees as well as their size and disease resistance is likely to be wildly different than the trees the supermarket lemons were grown on and the fruit that came off of them.

I'm not aware of many trees, especially crop trees, that are grown on their own root stock. Most don't reproduce well at all so "new trees" are typically grafts of old trees that are then grafted onto the desired rootstock for size, water tolerance, disease resistance and probably other selection criteria I'm not aware of.

The original guy asked "How can I germinate these supermarket seeds" so I posted how I managed to do just that. I don't see the problem?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Chaos in the gardening thread

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
All my seedlings are sprouting pretty good, I just need to build a raised garden so I can take them outside. Even got some pumkins going. I've heard they can take over, has anyone had any experiences of that?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
So my grandma gifted me a big pot. It's about 22 inches in diameter and 20 inches tall, tapering a bit. Plastic. I think it might be around 25 gallons.

Could I grow a pomegranate bush/tree in this? Or is a pot of that size still too small?

Chelb fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 28, 2016

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Motronic posted:

I don't think you understand what is being said here.

No one is suggesting the seeds can't germinate and even grow into trees. What fruit you get off of those trees as well as their size and disease resistance is likely to be wildly different than the trees the supermarket lemons were grown on and the fruit that came off of them.

I'm not aware of many trees, especially crop trees, that are grown on their own root stock. Most don't reproduce well at all so "new trees" are typically grafts of old trees that are then grafted onto the desired rootstock for size, water tolerance, disease resistance and probably other selection criteria I'm not aware of.

Yeah, I know, especially apples are bad with this. I'm just trying to see what comes out. (Nothing. Nothing comes out)

PokeJoe posted:

Tell that to my supermarket lemons.

Did you peel the seeds? I peeled the lemon seeds and put them between a folded moist paper towel in a ziplock bag. Then I put it on my fridge for a while. Once they had like 2cm-ish roots growing out of them I put them in a hole root down about a quarter inch under the soil.

See now this I don't understand at all. How are these kinds of seeds "peelable" in any way?

Banana Man posted:

All my seedlings are sprouting pretty good, I just need to build a raised garden so I can take them outside. Even got some pumkins going. I've heard they can take over, has anyone had any experiences of that?

I had weird rear end gourds that went berserk and got my entire front yard. Somebody called the city and had the parks department mow them all down.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
My mom got me a Meyer lemon tree for Easter. A cool and good mom.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Anyone want to take a shot at diagnosing WTF is going on with my sickly thyme plant? It's grown in an indoor herb garden in a west-facing window in north Florida (zone 8-ish) alongside of some basil, rosemary, and oregano plants that seem relatively happy with that setup. The thyme always looks half dead and has a lot of brown/purple stalks and the herb fertilizer I put on the pot seems to just turn into mildew.

Is this a case of too little sun with the half of the pot faced away from the window dying off and the other half just barely hanging on or is there some other factor that needs to be adjusted?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

SniperWoreConverse posted:

See now this I don't understand at all. How are these kinds of seeds "peelable" in any way?

They have a fibrous membrane that you can peel off with your fingernails.

I peeled them so they were like the middle seed in this image.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Oh man it's hell of raining and I had just put my potatoes in their container on Friday, so they have relatively shallow soil over them in the bottom of a pot. If I'm concerned about drainage should I drilled a hole on the side of the pot? There's already one in the bottom but from what I read potatoes really should not be soaked, just moist.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Rollofthedice posted:

So my grandma gifted me a big pot. It's about 22 inches in diameter and 20 inches tall, tapering a bit. Plastic. I think it might be around 25 gallons.

Could I grow a pomegranate bush/tree in this? Or is a pot of that size still too small?

I guess nobody knows. I'll just go ahead and do it.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Rollofthedice posted:

I guess nobody knows. I'll just go ahead and do it.

I'm not an expert but that seems pretty small. My pomegranate tree is ~8 feet tall

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Ausrotten posted:

I'm not an expert but that seems pretty small. My pomegranate tree is ~8 feet tall

I know the pot's bigger than my 20 gallon 'Smart Pots', and that size is what's been recommended to me for 6-8ft tall blueberries. Pomegranates might be different, but hell, might as well try

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

PokeJoe posted:

They have a fibrous membrane that you can peel off with your fingernails.

I peeled them so they were like the middle seed in this image.

woah, mind blown. I'll start doing that and maybe it'll make a difference.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Ausrotten posted:

The worst part is trimming it, those loving spikes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Suspect Bucket posted:

Chaos in the gardening thread
Burn it down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IT-0FRn8PY&t=13s

(also, that's a pretty fun tool to use, but the steam keeps extinguishing the flame)

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm going to be moving and I was wondering if it would be possible to transplant my tomatoes to bring them with me or if they have been in the ground too long. I planted them three weeks ago, can I dig them up or is it best to just get new ones?
I'd say they're probably going to be at minimum severely shocked. Since tomatoes produce so much I'd recommend buying a couple of new ones at the store (preferably the ones which aren't already so stressed that they're fruiting - although many folks buy those thinking they're "the strongest ones!")

Whomever is left at that old property, well, it's their clusterfuck of huge pile of tomatoes problem. Move on, let it go. :clint:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 30, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

coyo7e posted:

Burn it down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IT-0FRn8PY&t=13s

(also, that's a pretty fun tool to use, but the steam keeps extinguishing the flame)

We have wildly different definitions of 'fun'. Flamethrowing is hot, dangerous, lovely work that takes two people, one who is bored and one who is miserable, and it makes you wonder at what point did you screw up enough to be stuck knee deep in stinging nettle and face forward into the smoke.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Dug up half my herbs today and crammed them into random pots I had lying around. Gonna re-frame my garden beds with new lumber, rearrange everything, make it all more tidy. I am already disheartened; I got a late start and didn't get it all done today and I work closing shifts the next few so it's either get up early and do lots of cutting and screwing boards together before work, or do nothing until my next day off. So full steam ahead, gonna set the alarm for an early start because I'm on a timer to get all my 5-year-old herbs back into the ground before I let them die of neglect in pots!

While digging out a clump of lemon balm to save, I discovered that the 4sf clump I affectionately call Monster has actually choked out an entire patch of bindweed. There was a tangled root mass under the lemon balm (I removed them), but there were only a handful of shoots surfacing at the edges.

Seriously considering just letting both grow over the lawn this year and we'll see which one comes out ahead. :toot:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

PDP-1 posted:

Anyone want to take a shot at diagnosing WTF is going on with my sickly thyme plant? It's grown in an indoor herb garden in a west-facing window in north Florida (zone 8-ish) alongside of some basil, rosemary, and oregano plants that seem relatively happy with that setup. The thyme always looks half dead and has a lot of brown/purple stalks and the herb fertilizer I put on the pot seems to just turn into mildew.

Is this a case of too little sun with the half of the pot faced away from the window dying off and the other half just barely hanging on or is there some other factor that needs to be adjusted?

That's just how thyme looks much of the year if not trained. You can train it by taking pinning the underneath stems to the soil in the bare patches. I also cut mine back frequently as older stems will die off, making the plant look half dead and causing a tangle of old, woody stems (mint does the same). It does look a little bit leggy. The leaves are quite spread out along the stem rather than being close together but that doesn't really matter much as long as it's producing enough leaves for you to use. I'd give it some sun and fresh air occasionally when the weather's OK to do so. Thyme likes full sun.

Are you using fertiliser powder/crystals? I find those tend to suck moisture from the air and that could be keeping them damp enough to go moldy. It doesn't seem to happen with the bead fertilisers and of course you can always use liquid fertiliser. You should only water thyme when it's very dry, so if you're keeping it moist that could also be part of your problem.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Suspect Bucket posted:

We have wildly different definitions of 'fun'. Flamethrowing is hot, dangerous, lovely work that takes two people, one who is bored and one who is miserable, and it makes you wonder at what point did you screw up enough to be stuck knee deep in stinging nettle and face forward into the smoke.
Have you ever actually used a weed flamethrower? The point is to not light the weeds on fire - the steam breaks the plants' cells, and melts off their outer protective coating, which is usually fatal quite quickly.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

coyo7e posted:

Have you ever actually used a weed flamethrower? The point is to not light the weeds on fire - the steam breaks the plants' cells, and melts off their outer protective coating, which is usually fatal quite quickly.

Oh yeah, no, I know that. But there's the random little dry burny bits that light up good even when you wet the area. That's why you have an assistant with a hose (and to move the tank around for you). And stuff steams up pretty good too. Blerg. It's not like, a TON of smoke, but it's annoying and not fun to breathe.

You're all welcome to swing by and flamethrow whenever you want.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Shame Boner posted:

Not that I'm trying to convince you otherwise, but if your cherry tomatoes weren't ten times better than anything you can get in the store, you might want to try a different variety. I grew Black Cherry tomatoes for the first time last year and now I won't grow any other cherries. They have a complex flavor and are very sweet.

Eh, sure, I'll give it a go! Part of the problem, I think, is that what tomatoes I got came very late and didn't fully ripen, possibly due to overuse of nitrogen fertilizer. At the end of the season, I'd probably harvested as many green tomatoes as ripe ones, so I ended up making green tomato chutney. (Which was actually pretty good, so I wouldn't really mind doing it again! :v:)

I was already aware of needing multiple tomatillo plants, and they remain my main objective, so I'll probably have 3-5.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh yeah, no, I know that. But there's the random little dry burny bits that light up good even when you wet the area. That's why you have an assistant with a hose (and to move the tank around for you). And stuff steams up pretty good too. Blerg. It's not like, a TON of smoke, but it's annoying and not fun to breathe.

You're all welcome to swing by and flamethrow whenever you want.

I always carried my own tank, even as a 14 year old burning weeds all along the edge of the corn field, ya wuss :colbert:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pham Nuwen posted:

I always carried my own tank, even as a 14 year old burning weeds all along the edge of the corn field, ya wuss :colbert:

I have a bad back, and these nice Mormons keep showing up and asking if I want help. Might as well use 'em while I endear them to the glories of Satan.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have a bad back, and these nice Mormons keep showing up and asking if I want help. Might as well use 'em while I endear them to the glories of Satan.

Haha we had them dig out a rotted palm bush out front yard last fall. I kind of felt bad having them dig in their dress shoes.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Jan posted:

Eh, sure, I'll give it a go! Part of the problem, I think, is that what tomatoes I got came very late and didn't fully ripen, possibly due to overuse of nitrogen fertilizer.

That's another thing I failed to mention: the overuse of fertilizer and overwatering can also lead to rather tasteless veggies.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Anyone pee on their plants? Crazy hillbilly people keep telling me to do it

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Banana Man posted:

Anyone pee on their plants? Crazy hillbilly people keep telling me to do it

I put my first pee of the morning on the compost pile but everything I read says that undilute urine will cause nitrogen burn with direct application.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
BEHOLD! http://www.healthy-vegetable-gardening.com/urine_as_fertilizer.html

Humanure or Night Soil is terribly underutilized.

http://humanurehandbook.com/instructions.html
http://www.treehugger.com/clean-water/diy-composting-toilets-and-humanure-the-pee-poop-show-video.html

Oh, and the french are way ahead here. http://www.gizmag.com/luritonnoir-urine-into-fertilizer/27370/

quote:

Festivals can be great fun, but aren't always so friendly to the local environment. Gathering that many people in one place tends to produce a large amount of waste, but it's the human waste that can be the hardest to dispose of cleanly. That's why French design group Faltazi has produced L'Uritonnoir, a portable, composting urinal for large festivals that helps to turn a bale of hay into usable fertilizer.

The name derives from the French words "urinnoir," meaning urinal, and "entonnoir," meaning funnel; and that's basically what they are. By itself, a single Uritonnoir looks like a wide funnel with a tapered spike on the end and is either pre-made from stainless steel or folded together from a flat polypropylene sheet.

The simple urinals are designed for easy setup using a bale of hay as a stand. The spike on the end just needs to be inserted into the hay at a comfortable height and then secured with a strap that wraps around the entire bale. Depending on the size of the bale, you can add as many Uritonnoirs as you need.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 2, 2016

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I thought there were huge health concerns with using night soil in that it greatly ramps the possibility to transmit disease since its not sterile like manure you buy?

No idea why I have this thought

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
If you ever see "biosolids" listed in the compost you buy....

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I thought there were huge health concerns with using night soil in that it greatly ramps the possibility to transmit disease since its not sterile like manure you buy?

No idea why I have this thought

Pee doesn't have many pathogens in it. I'm not sure it's ok if you're selling your veggies, but if you're just fertilizing your own garden, it shouldn't be a problem. A compost heap gets so hot that most human pathogens die anyway.

Full nightsoil including number 2 often has some dangerous organisms in it. It can still be used as fertilizer. Most agricultural cultures around the world have done it. And it can be done totally safely if it's sterilized by heat. The main reason it's not widely used is that we have more dung than we know what to do with from livestock. And artificial fertilizer is pretty cheap too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Like anything else, it needs to be safely composted first, and taken from safe sources. Don't go having cholera on your tomatoes just because 'hey, might as well water the plants while i'm in endless making GBS threads agony also how did i get cholera also dang those tomatoes i stole from my neighbor with cholera might have been a bad idea also dead'

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Like anything else, it needs to be safely composted first, and taken from safe sources. Don't go having cholera on your tomatoes just because 'hey, might as well water the plants while i'm in endless making GBS threads agony also how did i get cholera also dang those tomatoes i stole from my neighbor with cholera might have been a bad idea also dead'

Wise advice. I agree.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
It seems to me the best approach would be to use composted human waste to fertilize things humans aren't going to eat (xmas tree farms, animal feed fields, whatever) then use the refuse from those plants as compost for food plots. So, use your poop to help your oak trees grow, then rake up your oak leaves in the fall, and use that to mulch your garden. I guess you want to make sure that your human poop things aren't uphill from your food garden, just so nothing runs off in the rain.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I can't imagine anyone posting in forums dot something awful dot com being so hard up for compost that making GBS threads on their oak trees or geraniums or whatever registers as a worthwhile activity

But hey, what do I know! :nexus:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I've been trying to get an avocado seed to root for weeks now. Took the pit from the avocado, washed it, toothpicks, cup of water. have I missed something here??

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Rollofthedice posted:

I can't imagine anyone posting in forums dot something awful dot com being so hard up for compost that making GBS threads on their oak trees or geraniums or whatever registers as a worthwhile activity

Hey, some of us are trying to save the human race here. Humanure is as local and natural as it gets, maaaaaan. Even though my diet is cheetos and mountain dew. And every dime I don't have to spend on compost or fertilizer is another dime for buying more cheetos and mountain dew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Rollofthedice posted:

Thanks, now I'm imagining someone cheeks-to-tree, making doo. Or someone dropping a deuce on a delicate little flower, crushing it.

And someone on these forums would probably do. I mean, groverhaus, meatshoes, basement hot tub all happened. Why not poo poo on a plant?