Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
was it pointed out that Best Jeanist was the #4 hero when he first showed up? It's really cool that he is but I think this is the first time it's been mentioned.

Also interesting that the #3 didn't show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

I hope Best Jeanist is okay--he has the Best Costume.

Worst Dad will probably get out without a scratch.

Fear not, Best Jeanist will surely live to be vaguely unsettling another day.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

was it pointed out that Best Jeanist was the #4 hero when he first showed up? It's really cool that he is but I think this is the first time it's been mentioned.

Also interesting that the #3 didn't show up.

yea him being #4 was already established a while ago

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Charlie Bobson posted:

Chapter was good. The reasoning for all the kids going is pretty shaky, but if it pays off with good fights and emotional All Might death scene, I'll be cool with it.

also pv was real fuckin cool

Shaky reasoning, but they're all probably feeling pretty shaky after the poo poo they just went through. They just wanted to have a fun school trip. :smith:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The last page of this chapter was probably the first time I've been happy to see Bakugou being Bakugou.

Wild Horses posted:

kinda shaky writing when the situation written was so obviously engineered for Deku to be forced to push past his maximum x1000.
Like, no kind of "lets try to solve this riddle-fight", no escape made because the guys quirk is like deku's but better.
Can't really articulate it but it's a far too convenient story for some manufactured drama.

Last arc didn't sit so well with me
People keep getting on Deku's case cause he pushes himself too hard, only the plot sometimes conspires to give him no other way out. Stories by their very nature are often contrived, but it's pretty unfair to keep shouldering the blame on Deku when his only alternative most of the time is frequently worse than the route he takes.

Like, Recovery Girl condemning him over the Sports Festival makes sense, but here the only other option was basically getting killed (and getting someone else killed). Why's she so salty about him fighting to survive?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I kinda felt the same way, but you can also assume that she's mad he didn't go rest after meeting up with a teacher. you can't fault him for hurting himself against a villain that was gonna kill him and kouta, but he did keep going for a while after that when he could have stopped

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, Deku destroying his body in order to be a hero is less "heroic" and more "a sign of really bad mental health", and I was hoping after what Recovery Girl said at the Sports Festival that the story understood that.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So when's the anime dropping?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Bleremiah posted:

So when's the anime dropping?

April 3rd.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Shieldhill posted:

April 3rd.

Awesome, looking forward to it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Bad Seafood posted:

People keep getting on Deku's case cause he pushes himself too hard, only the plot sometimes conspires to give him no other way out. Stories by their very nature are often contrived, but it's pretty unfair to keep shouldering the blame on Deku when his only alternative most of the time is frequently worse than the route he takes.

Like, Recovery Girl condemning him over the Sports Festival makes sense, but here the only other option was basically getting killed (and getting someone else killed). Why's she so salty about him fighting to survive?
It could just be a really human reason she's pissed off I guess; I sure wouldn't be happy looking at his mangled noodle arms for the however many-th time, realizing that giving him his quick fix basically encourages his nature so you could be basically PUSHING him towards crippling or killing himself.

But yeah, Midoriya has only really busted his arms like...3 times where it wasn't really necessary, and two of those are kinda debatable. He maybe didn't need to save Uraraka, but he might indeed have been the only one who could and he didn't know about the blowback yet. He didn't NEED to mangle himself fighting Todoroki but really given the good it did, it's a wash.

The battle trial was unnecessary- it was just an assignment.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember how his power works. He is literally doing that.

i see the Villain Alliance's future, and it is on fire.

:thejoke:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bad Seafood posted:

I was trying to think about why I don't like this manga as much as the rest of the thread while reading the latest chapter and I think this may be the reason why. The mangaka feels like he's trying to have his cake and eat it too by having Deku constantly in trouble using his power and people giving out to him for doing this in a somewhat reasonable manner. And then contriving reasons for Deku to go and do those things and throw all that out the window regardless. It just feels like he wants to portray Deku being hurt as well as Deku being the awesome hero that some other shounen have and it's honesly kind of wearing. Just drop the act and show him being heroic. Deku grabbing Kouta with his teeth was awesome. I don't need a chapter of him lying in bed with the story talking about how bad his going all out is to keep it awesome.

That, and I don't like the future narrator since we never see them, have no indication who they're talking to or why and so on. I can't see what that adds to the story or why it's there. It's a minor niggle though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The future narrator is the same guy who is future-narrating One Piece: Sabo.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Countblanc posted:

The future narrator is the same guy who is future-narrating One Piece: Sabo.

No it's George the Ogre.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

tsob posted:

I was trying to think about why I don't like this manga as much as the rest of the thread while reading the latest chapter and I think this may be the reason why. The mangaka feels like he's trying to have his cake and eat it too by having Deku constantly in trouble using his power and people giving out to him for doing this in a somewhat reasonable manner. And then contriving reasons for Deku to go and do those things and throw all that out the window regardless. It just feels like he wants to portray Deku being hurt as well as Deku being the awesome hero that some other shounen have and it's honesly kind of wearing. Just drop the act and show him being heroic. Deku grabbing Kouta with his teeth was awesome. I don't need a chapter of him lying in bed with the story talking about how bad his going all out is to keep it awesome.

I don't think there's any contradiction in saying "destroying yourself to save someone else is both heroic and extremely unhealthy". Deku is going to die young at this rate, and that's not really something to celebrate. Without the tension of his ability and his desire to do good destroying his body Emiya Shirou-style, the story would just be generic shonen stuff.

tsob posted:

That, and I don't like the future narrator since we never see them, have no indication who they're talking to or why and so on. I can't see what that adds to the story or why it's there. It's a minor niggle though.

It's definitely Deku? He says so in Chapter 1. "By the way, this is the story of how I became a top hero."

My theory is that the framing device is actually Future-Deku telling his story to his own successor.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The core conflict of wanting to do the right thing at a steep cost is a good one, the problem is just that the story's introduced it but hasn't really moved beyond it. We understand that Deku can't keep carrying on like this, but the story keeps forcing him into situations where he has no choice - and on what few occasions he does have a choice he still ends being self-destructive.

Deku's dilemma is well-established. What we need to do now is start making more progress towards seeking a solution.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I liked the idea someone had awhile ago where he gets some kind of weapon to handle the shock, like a staff or something.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Give him a steel bat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lamebot posted:

Give him a steel bat.

so you're saying this is the backstory to onepunchman

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Bad Seafood posted:

Deku's dilemma is well-established. What we need to do now is start making more progress towards seeking a solution.

I'm really curious to see the form in which the solution will arrive because I can't think of one that won't feel like a cop-out a-la a power upgrade that comes with a healing power or something.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he'll start taking steroids to buff up so his body can handle it

in a few years time japan will win a bunch of olympic golds in weight lifting

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if Deku ended up using some tech to reduce the damage done to his body, or just starts to use some gadgets along with a little One For All so that he doesn't need to get into risky territory to get things done. He does know that girl who's into making gadgets, I bet she could rig something up for him.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
To me it seems like the biggest problem so far is that All Might is a terrible teacher. Midoriya had his biggest amount of progress when he trained with Gran Torino, whose training taught him how to balance 5% power through his whole body. One For All is too much for Midoriya's body to handle, and without years of improving his own strength he straight up can't deal. This doesn't seem like something that can be bypassed after a 3 day session in a Hyperbolic Bankai Naruto Clone Chamber. In order to not blow up his arms and legs with his own quirk, there needs to be something he can do to prevent it, and I think he needs to find someone else like Gran Torino to help him learn some other method, because it sure as hell isn't going to be All Might.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

The core conflict of wanting to do the right thing at a steep cost is a good one, the problem is just that the story's introduced it but hasn't really moved beyond it. We understand that Deku can't keep carrying on like this, but the story keeps forcing him into situations where he has no choice - and on what few occasions he does have a choice he still ends being self-destructive.

This is why I was kinda annoyed with Deku's last fight, because his whole thing with Gran Torino was supposed to be him gaining better control of his power so he wouldn't continuously explode himself and then in his very next fight it doesn't come up at all and he immediately repeats what happened with the Todoroki fight except worse. Like, it makes sense that it happened since he had only just begun his training and it was a cool scene but it's still annoying that that small training arc didn't have any impact at all.

It's not a really major complaint but I hope next time Gran Torino's training actually gets some use.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A lot of the story seems to be Horikoshi showing the various motivations for and beliefs of what heroism/villany is.

Villains with profit motives, purely self-satisfying destructive motives, creeds, etc.

Midoriya is pure selfless/altruistic heroism, Uraraka's is to provide for her family, Iida wants to carry on his family tradition and live up to his brother's image, Todoroki despises his father's image and wants to be his own person or shirk him, Bakugou wants to be the best because the best never lose and never fail, etc.

He makes it a point to show the positives and negatives of all of them. Midoriya and All Might's brand of heroism is pure but it leads to a tragic and short life. All Might is dying, Midoriya is well on his way to doing the same. Remember that no matter how much everyone worries about him and Recovery Girl bitches him out- All Might has never condemned Midoriya destroying himself with his power. Not once. He just feels bad for pushing him so hard- and he shows concern when Bakugou follows suit in the test.

Iida's loyalty to his family almost caused him to betray his own principles. Bakugou comes off almost like a villain because of his intensity. Todoroki came off as aloof/arrogant and was deeply unhappy/ambivalent about heroism.

Uraraka probably has an arc coming at some point because when has anything good EVER happened to the character who works their rear end off to make their parents happy, not understanding that their happiness is their parents happiness?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fabricated posted:

Uraraka probably has an arc coming at some point because when has anything good EVER happened to the character who works their rear end off to make their parents happy, not understanding that their happiness is their parents happiness?

Well, one way of doing it would be to have her parents die. Then all that work is for naught!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I just hope we learn more about everyone's family life in side content.

I wanna see if Ashido has an Actual Xenomorph as one of or both of her parents. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tlarn posted:

I just hope we learn more about everyone's family life in side content.

I wanna see if Ashido has an Actual Xenomorph as one of or both of her parents. :allears:

Her newborn pics would probably be pretty awkward.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fabricated posted:

Remember that no matter how much everyone worries about him and Recovery Girl bitches him out- All Might has never condemned Midoriya destroying himself with his power. Not once.

Make me wonder if there's some upcoming plot maguffin that will allow Deku to use it without murdering himself.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just starting this series and I gotta ask.

Does this ever break out of the mold of being Superhero Naruto?

Like there are a lot of tropes and character archetypes I'm weary of and remind me of that, and I just want to know if I'm not in for the same ride. I can't take that all over again.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Like there are a lot of tropes and character archetypes I'm weary of and remind me of that, and I just want to know if I'm not in for the same ride. I can't take that all over again.

Just about every similarity it has with Naruto is done way better in MHA. The supporting cast actually does things and fights end usually in less than 2 chapters, for example.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TFRazorsaw posted:

Thusfar, it is absolutely not Superhero Naruto.

Basically, what's gonna happen with people new to the series when the anime drops is that there are literally three instances where everyone's gonna be, "Oh god, this guy is gonna be Sasuke", and then it doesn't happen each time.

The only thing that remains to be seen is a really bad pointless 1-2 year timeskip. I am praying it doesn't happen, nor do I think it would make sense because the title is "My Hero Academia", not "My Hero Freshman year, followed by My Hero Job".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How do the female characters fare, overall?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well, it never stops being a superhero themed shonen, so if you're not particularly interested in reading a shonen series then it's probably not for you. But if you just mean Naruto in particular then outside of characteristics that are common to most shonen I don't think they're all that similar.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I like them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

They're a charming bunch, though they've had slightly less fights, screentime, and big wins than equivalently prominent male characters thus far. Hopefully, Horikoshi will turn that around a little - Uraraka in particular has had cool moments, but relatively little to do for a lead character.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'll give it a shot then.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Darth Walrus posted:

They're a charming bunch, though they've had slightly less fights, screentime, and big wins than equivalently prominent male characters thus far. Hopefully, Horikoshi will turn that around a little - Uraraka in particular has had cool moments, but relatively little to do for a lead character.

But Uraraka is best at CQC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Uraraka, Asui, Ashido, Jirou, Yaoyorozu, and Kendou are all great characters.

TriffTshngo posted:

To me it seems like the biggest problem so far is that All Might is a terrible teacher. Midoriya had his biggest amount of progress when he trained with Gran Torino, whose training taught him how to balance 5% power through his whole body. One For All is too much for Midoriya's body to handle, and without years of improving his own strength he straight up can't deal. This doesn't seem like something that can be bypassed after a 3 day session in a Hyperbolic Bankai Naruto Clone Chamber. In order to not blow up his arms and legs with his own quirk, there needs to be something he can do to prevent it, and I think he needs to find someone else like Gran Torino to help him learn some other method, because it sure as hell isn't going to be All Might.
We are in complete agreement. All Might is a great man and a fantastic role model, but boy howdy is he a terrible teacher.

Gran Torino and Aizawa are both much better instructors.