Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kuvo posted:

I tried to hook it up to the 1/144 action base Qubeley was using but the adapter doesn't fit. Do I need to get a 1/100 base for it?

The action base adapter.

Anyway I got done with it just in time cus a new box showed up today...

Pretty sure that yes, Kshatriya needs a 1/100 action base. Also, I hope all these Zeon kits you're buying isn't a result of the PTSD RG Zeta gave you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
It's not so much anything to do with RG Zeta as it is with the Zeon suits have better variety. All the gundams look pretty samey after a while. That said when I'm done with Zogok I'll prob do RG Full Burnern, HG RX-79 Ground Type or HG Unicorn after (assuming the new Gouf isn't out yet)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Kuvo posted:

Anyway I got done with it just in time cus a new box showed up today...

Hope you enjoy it, it's got a lot of charm.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TaurusOxford posted:

Pretty sure that yes, Kshatriya needs a 1/100 action base. Also, I hope all these Zeon kits you're buying isn't a result of the PTSD RG Zeta gave you. :v:

100% needs a 1/100 action base. The RD comes with a weird modified version of one and the attachment point is really lovely and has zero friction, it's awful. I have to get a real base for it at some point.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

EthanSteele posted:

100% needs a 1/100 action base. The RD comes with a weird modified version of one and the attachment point is really lovely and has zero friction, it's awful. I have to get a real base for it at some point.

It comes with the same base they use for Metal Build and the Ver. Katoki RDs that are huge. In the case of the Kshatriya you just need to put some clear nail polish or something on the peg and it works fine. The Besserung/Repaired version actually includes a modified connector point and an adapter to fit securely.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Darth Walrus posted:

Beam sabers don't cut totally effortlessly through whatever they hit (though they are very good at cutting), and can be parried by other beam sabers. Adding some extra strength to your swings is never a bad thing.

EthanSteele posted:

Even if this were true, there are plenty of reasons to use more than one hand for real physics reasons. You'd want two hands to overpower the Hy-Gogg if it tried to grab your arm, for instance. As mentioned though beam sabers can parry each other and need strength and pressure behind them to cut things. They're treated as pretty much a regular sword but red and glowy.

Also that Hy-Gogg is super good! You avoided the trap of too much that a lot of first time weathering falls victim to. It's real nice.

I like hearing this kind of stuff, because I don't really follow any Gundam anime (I watched the original series forever ago but it wasn't exactly consistent or sensible with its combat scenes, same for G-Gundam) and I'm kind of intrigued by a lot of stuff about mobile suits but not enough to slog through a bunch of series I wouldn't otherwise like.

I was of the understanding that beam weaponry instantly destroyed pretty much anything it touched unless it had beam dispersal coating, which was the reason given for why so many mobile suits have big characteristic shields, and later on why some of them have silly shrouds. The notion of an energy weapon requiring force to push through material seems kind of nonsensical, but I guess this is the series where a fighter jet transforms into the abdomen of a big robot somehow.

I have a vague understanding of Minovsky particles, but it seems like they only disrupt wireless communications when it serves the plot.

Don't mobile suits have nuclear reactors? Isn't there a huge risk in destroying them? I guess this is an easy one to answer if they've just figured out how to stabilize fusion reactors- in fact, isn't that what the Minovsky thing is?

How does space combat work with regards to mobile suits? More specifically, why would you ever bother with frigates and capital ships? Just as a staging area to launch MS from? (This maybe relates to my misconception about beam weaponry; I never really understood what was stopping one GM with a beam saber from destroying a ship of most any size almost instantaneously.)

Do you often see sneak attacks on mobile suits in the anime? Because it seems to me like you'd just have a bunch of rear facing cameras and monitors on your suit that would make that pretty tough.

It's me, asking the hard sci fi questions and liking the Z'gok at the same time.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
all of those questions are pretty thoroughly explored in the setting minutia and documentation of the original series though not always in the anime because it doesn't always make good tv.

so in order:

Beams are extremely destructive and until the Gundam/Guncannon come around are the sole domain of battleships. Due to Minovsky physics they are affected by other Minovsky containment fields.

Yeah that's pretty much up to writer discretion but it's fairly consistent in the UC series.

Mobile Suits have something called Minovsky-Ionesco ultra-compact fusion reactors. In real life, breaching a fusion reactor would just cause the reactor to stop working. In gundam, it causes a big explosion due to the specific design of the reactors that makes them so small. In the first episode of Gundam, Amuro fucks up royally and blows a hole through Side 7 because he breaches the Zaku II's reactor with his beam saber.

Ships work as bombardment, largely, after the proliferation of Mobile Suits. A GM could, theoretically disable a ship with its beam saber, but that relies on it getting close enough through point defense to do so. It happens pretty frequently. Zeon famously destroyed several battleships with Zakus and their Zaku bazookas (non-beam weapons) by targeting the bridges or engines.

Outside of land combat, it's not really practical to attack a Mobile Suit on foot. it does happen, and there is an episode of the original series focused on it, but it's not really a practical strategy due to several factors, including hella armor.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I've been keeping up with Thunderbolt, which is what brings up the questions about space combat and Minovsky particles. (Forgive me for posts that are more suited to the anime thread!) The way that the opposing parties launch sorties against one another into no-man's land makes me wonder about the larger strategic concerns of MS combat because I don't know why they don't just shell each other with ship weaponry or rely on point defenses. It seems like they're caught in a severe war of attrition that isn't fully explained; I imagine it's more clear in the manga.

In the OVA you see a lot of this sniper team that is supposedly extremely threatening because they have a hard-wired communications network that allows them to cover every angle with their long-range cannons. That was super interesting and I wish that Gundam was more consistent about the Minovsky effect because I think it's one of the coolest things about the setting. Like yes, on its face it works as a justification for MS combat as a whole, but there are so many near implications to it, like the weird tactics that come out of it and things like the MS Sniper team and the Federation pilot's ability to use their reliance on it to sabotage them and jack a Dom. And in general, I think the writing is stronger when there's less interpersonal dialogue during the action scenes; it creates the conditions for bad melodrama, as opposed to good melodrama, like War in the Pocket's lack of recognition between Bernie and Chris, or the kind of depersonaliation and alienation that you see in something like Armored Trooper VOTOMS. (One of the marked differences between the two series, to me, is the way in which Gundam humanizes its hero suits by giving them human faces that map to the pilot's wide-visored helmnets, while VOTOMS dehumanizes its pilots by giving them crazy goggles that map to their suits' telescopic lenses.)

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 29, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah one of my favorite factors about Minovsky particles is that they thematically tie in to the inability to communicate with other human beings on a fundamental level, which Newtypes are able to overcome

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Anonymous Robot posted:

I've been keeping up with Thunderbolt, which is what brings up the questions about space combat and Minovsky particles. (Forgive me for posts that are more suited to the anime thread!) The way that the opposing parties launch sorties against one another into no-man's land makes me wonder about the larger strategic concerns of MS combat because I don't know why they don't just shell each other with ship weaponry or rely on point defenses. It seems like they're caught in a severe war of attrition that isn't fully explained; I imagine it's more clear in the manga.

In the OVA you see a lot of this sniper team that is supposedly extremely threatening because they have a hard-wired communications network that allows them to cover every angle with their long-range cannons. That was super interesting and I wish that Gundam was more consistent about the Minovsky effect because I think it's one of the coolest things about the setting. Like yes, on its face it works as a justification for MS combat as a whole, but there are so many near implications to it, like the weird tactics that come out of it and things like the MS Sniper team and the Federation pilot's ability to use their reliance on it to sabotage them and jack a Dom. And in general, I think the writing is stronger when there's less interpersonal dialogue during the action scenes (it creates the conditions for bad melodrama, as opposed to good melodrama, like War in the Pocket's lack of recognition between Bernie and Chris, or the kind of depersonaliation and alienation that you see in something like Armored Trooper VOTOMS. (One of the marked differences between the two series, to me, is the way in which Gundam humanizes its hero suits by giving them human faces that map to the pilot's wide-visored helmnets, while VOTOMS dehumanizes its pilots by giving them crazy goggles that map to their suits' telescopic lenses.)

Long range bombardments don't work because Minovsky interference severely fucks with targetting and even visuals. Long distances become blurry and hazy; they take advantage of this in late UC by regularly using balloons as dummies. This is actually a pretty major plot point in Char's Counterattack: Neo Zeon surrenders its "entire" fleet, live on television, with military officials watching, but 80% of the fleet consisted of dummy balloons being towed by the other 20%. Snipers tend to only work in gravity wells like space colonies and on Earth since the Minovsky particles don't just float everywhere forever in those environments.

On a sidenote: Char Aznable got his ace status from taking out 5 Federation battleships with his Zaku in a single battle. Before the Federation got mobile suits, Zeon basically ran a train on them in the manners we've already described in this thread.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
There's an ova about a group of feddie grunts on foot attempting to ambush 2 Zakus on earth, it's part of the Igloo series but I don't recall which part. Gundam 08th MS Team also has an episode where a mob of angry people come too close to a felled Zaku, only to fall victim to it's anti-personnel mine.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

There's an ova about a group of feddie grunts on foot attempting to ambush 2 Zakus on earth, it's part of the Igloo series but I don't recall which part. Gundam 08th MS Team also has an episode where a mob of angry people come too close to a felled Zaku, only to fall victim to it's anti-personnel mine.

It's the first episode of Igloo 2: The Gravity Front. It has a shinigami for some reason.

The ending is there were three Zakus.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Anonymous Robot posted:

I like hearing this kind of stuff, because I don't really follow any Gundam anime (I watched the original series forever ago but it wasn't exactly consistent or sensible with its combat scenes, same for G-Gundam) and I'm kind of intrigued by a lot of stuff about mobile suits but not enough to slog through a bunch of series I wouldn't otherwise like.

I was of the understanding that beam weaponry instantly destroyed pretty much anything it touched unless it had beam dispersal coating, which was the reason given for why so many mobile suits have big characteristic shields, and later on why some of them have silly shrouds. The notion of an energy weapon requiring force to push through material seems kind of nonsensical, but I guess this is the series where a fighter jet transforms into the abdomen of a big robot somehow.

I have a vague understanding of Minovsky particles, but it seems like they only disrupt wireless communications when it serves the plot.

How does space combat work with regards to mobile suits? More specifically, why would you ever bother with frigates and capital ships? Just as a staging area to launch MS from? (This maybe relates to my misconception about beam weaponry; I never really understood what was stopping one GM with a beam saber from destroying a ship of most any size almost instantaneously.)

Do you often see sneak attacks on mobile suits in the anime? Because it seems to me like you'd just have a bunch of rear facing cameras and monitors on your suit that would make that pretty tough.

It's me, asking the hard sci fi questions and liking the Z'gok at the same time.

You're right! The notion of an energy weapon requiring force to push through stuff is nonsensical, but beam sabres and the like in Gundam aren't actually energy weapons! Beam rifles and ranged weaponry are, it is just the melee options that aren't.

Short version of beam weaponry explanation: They're not energy, they're plasma. They act like a regular sword/axe/whatever, but really really REALLY hot so they melt stuff real good.

The long version: Beam sabres in Gundam aren't lasers or energy, but plasma in a pocket formed by an electromagnetic field - it's why they have the definite shape and size, the emitter makes a field and then fills it with plasma and boom you got it. Two of these fields meeting just bang together.so beam sabres can parry/block each other. This is how stuff like the later Zeon MS's can have beam tomahawks and axes, they're just making a differently shaped field. Sazabi, Sinanju and a couple of others have sort of distortion/ rough edge to them because they emit more plasma than the field they make can reliably shape and contain. Beam weaponry mostly just melts things which is why a soldering iron is often used to recreate the effect on Gunpla. The MS shield thing went from "big lump of metal to block other lumps of metal" to the idea that putting more butter for the hot knife to go through helps you live longer, then big lumps covered in beam resistant coating (like the entirety of the Hyaku Shiki) and the late UC beam shields are basically just big flat beam sabers.

Minovsky interfence is mostly plot based. The interference effect of Minovsky partcles can be blocked with sufficiently shielding, but only battleships and other super huge things can manage that level of bulky stuff in Gundam.

As for frigates and capital ships and why you would bother with them? You don't. They're pretty much just staging areas for MS like you say. There's one battle ship in the original MSG near the end, I think, that was designed for space battleship warfare and then MS combat existed and completely obsoleted it, but it didn't have catapults for launching said MS so they just literally strapped GMs to the side with huge cables as seat belts to hold them on because it was a better use of the ship than it's original design.

As for multiple monitors and rear-facing cameras and things:

This ball thing is the Sazabi's cockpit. See the inside of the ball? That's all a video screen and a full panoramic view is displayed on that - you have a full sphere of vision. Unfortunately I think this mostly means you have to actually crane your head around to see behind you instead of having 3 smaller screens in front of you that show what is directly to each side and to your rear, though I guess in space there's no floor to protect you from attacks from that direction so you'd need a monitor for that too.

drat I wrote a lot words about a load of bullshit that isn't real hell yeah.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

In tSazabi's case it is a bit pointless since it was custom-tailored for a newtype pilot, aka magical omnivision through psychic power.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

In tSazabi's case it is a bit pointless since it was custom-tailored for a newtype pilot, aka magical omnivision through psychic power.

Though it is also the standard design of that era, and most suits aren't piloted by Newtypes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The official preview images for the Graze Ein have been taking a turn for the adorable.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Graze Ein is an interesting study in a thing that looks just like another thing but is actually a bit different in almost every way.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are Build Fighters backpacks compatible with Barbatos Kimaris or Gusion? I can confirm they don't fit a Graze's back pegs.

Have you considered HG Customize Campaign adaptor parts? I've got the manual card for runner E (Twin Heat Saber) in-hand now and basically all its extra adaptors are tailor-made for connecting modern backpacks to the terrible non-standardized backpack pegs of the substandard Gundam SEED HGs. Looking into just that with the Grimgerde in mind, there's a pair of connectors that slip onto pegs jutting out from the side, then a third piece that they peg into that grants a standard three-hole, peg-into-the-back connection point.

I haven't gotten runners C, D, or F to check their options, but I can say A and B won't be any help (mostly focused on shoulder joint and waist peg adaptors).

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
Should I not use a brown panel lining marker on a white kit? Do I need to pick up a black one?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's an entirely aesthetic choice. If you like more subtle detailing and softer lines, go with a light grey or so, or if you want details that pop hard and noticeable at a glance, go for black. It's up to you.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Unless you're weathering, brown on white just looks bad in my opinion. Well unless it's a kinda tan white, I guess?

Anyway, people usually use either black or gray, but it's not like you need to get one. Try out brown and see if you like how it looks.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Should I not use a brown panel lining marker on a white kit? Do I need to pick up a black one?

For panel lining, most people use the following:

Red: Brown
White: Grey (mechanical pencil can work if you don't have a grey marker)
Other colors (blue, yellow, etc.): Black

But of course it's up to you so use black for white parts.

EDIT: Beaten like a grunt suit.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll probably pick up a black and a grey and I'll see which one I prefer.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I think people also use brown on yellow.

Does anyone have a good place to go for Bandai released watersides? Seems like they're pretty much in backorder limbo where ever I look.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Guess this is the best place to ask - is it possible to paint 'chromed' pieces without stripping the finish off first?

I just got the Bandai Captain Phasma kit and her blaster and hands all have the same chromed finish as the rest of her armor. It's nice and shiny, but still needs some detailing (like the palms of the gauntlets and the tubing on the blaster barrel).

I could probably strip the finish of the blaster and paint it all, but I don't want the ruin the finish in the hands.

Anyone know of a work around?

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
Alright, callin' it good for now!

It isn't nearly as eye-searingly bright under natural light, but I honestly kinda like how bright the flash makes it look.

Also, Blackish Sheep, you should be tremendously proud of that Hy-Gogg. It's absolutely gorgeous, the streaks are really well-done!

Astro Creep fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 30, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Looks good with the hammer. All IBO kits are pretty medieval when it comes to weaponry.

Unrealted, but how's the quality on Kotobukiya's SRT OG line?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Looks good with the hammer. All IBO kits are pretty medieval when it comes to weaponry.

It varies pretty wildly. It's been going on for quite a while and some of the early kits are real bad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So after some previous projects fell through, I was stuck wondering what I was supposed to do with my MG Duel and my MG Buster.

Then I remembered that the Duel's armor is called the Assault Shroud.

DUEL ASSAULT BUSTER

I'll probably toss out the sabers for the Buster's backpack mounts when I actually paint this up.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ka0 posted:

Like Droyer says it varies wildly. The old blue Gespenst kit I got was awful. Boring build with terrible plastic that came broken in the box in a couple of places. All the other things I've done however were totally fine. I built the Huckebein Boxer as my first ever model kit and the Huckebein is the Mk.III which is an older kit than the Gespenst but is also 99% just an HG Gundam in terms of design which I why I think it turned out ok compared to the Gespenst. They each have some prepainted bits, mostly just the face but Aussenseiter has the emblems on the shields as well which is a thing to be aware of when you're painting. They're all somewhere between HG and MG for parts separation and everything other than the Huckebeins are a good bit bulkier than 1/144 Gundam stuff.

Someone used to say the Grungust Type 0 and Alteisen were really good, but that the Wildwurger wanted to explode it's various accessories/armour off and was a super repetitive build.

BlitzBlast posted:

So after some previous projects fell through, I was stuck wondering what I was supposed to do with my MG Duel and my MG Buster.

Then I remembered that the Duel's armor is called the Assault Shroud.

DUEL ASSAULT BUSTER

I'll probably toss out the sabers for the Buster's backpack mounts when I actually paint this up.

Yesss. Sometimes all you need is a lot more gun.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I regret not picking up the boxer when it came out considering the thing goes for like 300 bucks online nowadays.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EthanSteele posted:

Yesss. Sometimes all you need is a lot more gun.

Can't wait to start on my Heavyarms. Still a couple months off, yet.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
these chinese bootlegs are getting out of hand

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

these chinese bootlegs are getting out of hand

This worked better for the Sazabi since it was already red. It took a moment until I realized what this one was supposed to be.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I just bought a few kits from 1994 because of the hobby link Japan sale. I'm kind of excited to see the difference in kits.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The_Rob posted:

So I just bought a few kits from 1994 because of the hobby link Japan sale. I'm kind of excited to see the difference in kits.

Oh Jesus, you're about to get your mind blown on how bad kits were compared to nowadays.

Droyer posted:

This worked better for the Sazabi since it was already red. It took a moment until I realized what this one was supposed to be.

I give up, I still can't figure out what it is supposed to be.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Oh Jesus, you're about to get your mind blown on how bad kits were compared to nowadays.

I give up, I still can't figure out what it is supposed to be.

Barbatos I'm pretty sure.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

The_Rob posted:

I've been working on a 1/144 Bolt Gundam from around then. Most of the components are cast in two pieces, so there's loads of seams to fuse, which isn't a terribly big deal but the halves don't always match up neatly, either. The shoulders have this kind of pebbly texture that complicates sanding around there. Joints still use polycaps, which is nice.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Droyer posted:

Barbatos I'm pretty sure.

im pretty sure its lobster gundam from neo maine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Some dude on Facebook is selling resin accessories for MGs.

Some neat stuff. And apparently it's US-based?