Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Help me out guys.
Is the Valsione a gigantic girl mechanoid thingie, like an Eva, or is it just a fighting robot with a girl head. The kit is confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Help me out guys.
Is the Valsione a gigantic girl mechanoid thingie, like an Eva, or is it just a fighting robot with a girl head. The kit is confusing.

It's a giant robot shaped like a girl. It's not intelligent or anything.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The robot mimics the pilots' motions using something similar to the G Gundam Mobile Trace System. The anime face is part of the package.

Also, the pilot complained that her dad's terrifying SRW2 end boss robot wasn't cute enough.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
You mean the Valsion, the red clawy thing I had to destroy in a previous mission. Yes I can see that.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

That's designed to go on the Dark Horn so I don't know if it'd actually fit on the Gun Sniper :( Although most zoids little nubbins are the same size. It'd depend on how it connects to the body.

Being designed for the Dark Horn didn't stop Leena; the Leenasniper already sports two apiece of the main gatling (sans belt) and 3-barrel beam launcher at top left, and actually supports it all pretty well on the HMM.

And everything for the HMMs seems to be 3mm pegs and slots, so go nuts mix-and-matching with add-on packs, Transformers (Legends/Scout-size) weapons, weapons from the Tomy/Hasbro 1/72 Zoids, and so forth.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, I'm curious, how are the Bandai 1/72 Macross Frontier kits? I've been eyeing Ozma's Armored Messiah for a while now, but I'm a little worried about the stability of it. Has anyone here ever built one before?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I have built that exact kit and think it's great. The design means it's much more involved than, say, an MG. The plastic is also thinner out of necessity, so it's probably more fragile, but mine's held up well and hasn't fallen apart like people sometimes report zeta gundams doing. There's also very minor parts-forming involved (some interior support pieces and the hands off the top of my head).

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The Isaribi kinda looks like a weird sci-fi pistol.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

Or a delicious fried shrimp. :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Or a delicious fried shrimp. :v:

Some kind of... pistol shrimp.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Droyer posted:

I've always been surprised that Bandai have never gone in for making a proper HG kit line of their various ships, considering they've started doing Star Wars ones.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Ships don't sell.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've always been surprised that Bandai have never gone in for making a proper HG kit line of their various ships, considering they've started doing Star Wars ones.

well if they market them as HG I'd imagine people would want them in the same scale as their HG mobile suits and ships in gundam are huge compared to the fighters in star wars.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

well if they market them as HG I'd imagine people would want them in the same scale as their HG mobile suits and ships in gundam are huge compared to the fighters in star wars.

They used to do, like, 1/400th Mobile Armors. I guess they didn't sell great, cause they don't make those anymore

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I bought a Dahack

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Bimmi posted:

Ships don't sell.

i would buy a Nahel Argama or Gwadan-class model, do they even make those?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kuvo posted:

i would buy a Nahel Argama or Gwadan-class model, do they even make those?

they made a nahel argama, but it comes out in june and it seems all the preorders have been bought up.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ignimbrite posted:

That's designed to go on the Dark Horn so I don't know if it'd actually fit on the Gun Sniper :( Although most zoids little nubbins are the same size. It'd depend on how it connects to the body.

they are all compatible as are the frame arms weapons

I tried to watch the other zoids series but they just arent as good.
I think the whole fighting as a sport makes it better.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 3, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

They used to do, like, 1/400th Mobile Armors. I guess they didn't sell great, cause they don't make those anymore

They made as far up as the Ptolmaios from 00 Season 1 but nothing since then. They were in scale with the 1/400 Gundam Collection figure line that never sold that well here. I wish they had brought over the tabletop game that you can play with the 1/400 toys though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
A thing I was thinking about translating on the side ended up being super tedious, so I went back to translating manuals. I don't even remember what people wanted me to translated, but I had a WIP for the MG GM 2.0 so I figured I might as well finish tha-

what the gently caress why is there so much text for a gm

DEVELOPMENT TIMELINE OF EFSF MS posted:

The Goal of "Operation V" was the Development of MS

Operation V, also known as the "Vinson Plan", was a plan to rebuild the space armada lost in the period of time from the One Week War at the beginning of U.C. 0079 (1/3 ~ 1/10) to the Battle of Loum (1/15 ~ 1/16). It began on April 1st of the same year.

An unprecedently massive project, the purpose of "Operation V" was the development and construction of mass-produced MS, assault craft that could serve as motherships for these MS, and weapons that could effectively make use of the new tactics made available by these. Upon completion, the task of delivering the finished product to the existing "Earth Federation Forces" wouldn't be left solely to defense contractors. The doors would also be thrown open to a wide array of private enterprises.

Upon actually starting, it was decided that this project would absorb the the in-progress "RX Plan" into its already enormous draft. Several useful concepts from the RX Plan were incorporated into Operation V, and it wasn't uncommon for there to be simultaneous advancements in the developments of both the prototypes and the mass-production machines.

Prior to the onset of the war, the Zeonic Company displayed the MS they had been developing, claiming them to be work machines that could keep the peace in the Principality of Zeon. Their goal was to sound out a reaction from the Federation forces. And upon witnessing the testing of a demilitarized MS-05 Zaku I equipped with demonstration armor, Federation executives judged it would never be a military threat due to its large size (which would make picking it up with radar easy even from long distances) and its complete lack of built-in weapons. Still, taking into consideration information that Zeon was organizing and training a mobile practice battalion, these Federation officials decided to ask private enterprises to begin development on "gigantic, human-like weapons" as well as research countermeasures. This was the RX Plan.

Incidentally, due to a lack of a definite budget, in order for defense contractors to accomodate this project they had to reorganize their budget plans and take money from already in-progress weapons research. They also reached out to private enterprises to assist with their early plans and prototypes, and as a result all sorts of ideas were greatly influenced by the weapons industry. Like this, a great deal of foundational data was gathered.

And thus came January 3rd, U.C. 0079. The Principality of Zeon declared war on the Earth Federation, and the Zeon War for Independence (also known as the One Year War) began. And at the onset of hostilities, the Federation soldiers on the frontlines bore witness to the miraculous might of the "first" MS. The Earth Federation was pushed to the brink of surrender in just under a month, and by the time Operation V was initiated (April), Zeon forces had already occupied more than a third of the Earth's surface. With the goal of overturning this state of affairs, the Federation made the drastic decision to start development of their own MS.

I really wasn't sure on Operation V since the wiki can't seem to decide if it's called that or Project V, so I ended up going with what was used for the Origin translations.

The other two subsections are titled "A Comparison of the Development/Operation of a Mass-Produced MS and the Principality of Zeon's Zaku" and "Concerning the GM". I will get to them... eventually.

Also some dude on eBay was offloading a bunch of manuals, so now I have this huge stack. I can actually do stuff like MG God and Master now. :toot:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Also some dude on eBay was offloading a bunch of manuals, so now I have this huge stack. I can actually do stuff like MG God and Master now. :toot:

I wish I had known that you were willing to buy Gunpla manuals. I had a shitload before I threw them all away.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I made a post about it!

But yes, I will buy your manuals. I like those things.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

I made a post about it!

But yes, I will buy your manuals. I like those things.

To clarify, I threw those manuals out Summer last year, and know that I think about it, it probably would have cost me more to ship them then what you would be willing to pay for them. :canada:

Anyways, I've been working on this for the past few days:

I call it Fenice Morte.

I have to say, a couple of layers of sharpie marker with Pledge floor polish make for a smooth glossy finish.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

TaurusOxford posted:

To clarify, I threw those manuals out Summer last year, and know that I think about it, it probably would have cost me more to ship them then what you would be willing to pay for them. :canada:

Anyways, I've been working on this for the past few days:

I call it Fenice Morte.

I have to say, a couple of layers of sharpie marker with Pledge floor polish make for a smooth glossy finish.

Oh, hey, it's German Fenice.

Just by coincidence, I was painting my HG Fenice Rinascita yesterday! It didn't come out so well in the photo, but after I used some anodized paint to change the color of the beam mantles, I went over them with some sparkly nail polish and the result looks pretty stellar IRL.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

BlitzBlast posted:

A thing I was thinking about translating on the side ended up being super tedious, so I went back to translating manuals. I don't even remember what people wanted me to translated, but I had a WIP for the MG GM 2.0 so I figured I might as well finish tha-

Thanks for doing this, it was an interesting read. I look forward to seeing the other sections. GM supremacy.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I wish I'd never heard of SRWOG because now I'm upset they didn't port anything beyond the gba titles. Also I want to build every kit (volks made some of them? I'll have to check that out)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

One of the Hi-Mocks from the plastic modeling thread crapbuild a couple of months ago won second in a competition.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I wish we could get models of the R series that could actually combine into srx.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

In fairness, Bandai's April Fool's stuff is way obvious. Last year they announced a P-Bandai 1/1 scale Ultraman action figure.

Man, does anyone else really hate it when a companies' wacky april fools gag is something you actually want/to see

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Droyer posted:

I wish we could get models of the R series that could actually combine into srx.

Considering they've only ever done so in deformed style, I cant imagine the nightmare a gunpla designer would go through to make a faithful version that can transform and combine without any of the ABS plastic shattering horribly. Seems like a job for those premade Robot Spirits toys.

By the way, if you're'r going through SRWOG1/2 make sure to beef up the SRX squad; they enjoy the usual advantages combiners/transformers get in SRW games (mainly that they can both tank and dodge, get to mess with unit deployment limits, get more wespons with ammo, and get three pilots' worth of crazy spirit skills). If you're playing the ps2 version none of this is a big deal, but the GBA versions can be pretty tough.

The Fairlions are also pretty good (and as far as femme mecha go they're nice to look at), I didnt use them because I really dont like Latooni's arc, though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Droyer posted:

It exists. It's called the SRX Variable Box, and it was basically 3 die cast metal toys that cost a shitload of money 9 years ago.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That is so wonderfully nuts. God, I love me some dumb anime robots.

Wasn't even aware that Volks made die-cast stuff... and, uh, that price tag really is something.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
To be fair, there are far worse prices than $175 per large metal transforming robot.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

Considering they've only ever done so in deformed style, I cant imagine the nightmare a gunpla designer would go through to make a faithful version that can transform and combine without any of the ABS plastic shattering horribly. Seems like a job for those premade Robot Spirits toys.

By the way, if you're'r going through SRWOG1/2 make sure to beef up the SRX squad; they enjoy the usual advantages combiners/transformers get in SRW games (mainly that they can both tank and dodge, get to mess with unit deployment limits, get more wespons with ammo, and get three pilots' worth of crazy spirit skills). If you're playing the ps2 version none of this is a big deal, but the GBA versions can be pretty tough.

The Fairlions are also pretty good (and as far as femme mecha go they're nice to look at), I didnt use them because I really dont like Latooni's arc, though.

I was playing OG the first but I'm stuck on the stop the nuclear missiles mission; you're supposed to disable the missiles by hitting them without destroying them but most of my units are all pretty beefy and I keep detonating the things over and over. Maybe I'll restart.
Also I looked at that thing's price and jesus it's about 600 USD for a toy. A toy!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ka0 posted:

Also I looked at that thing's price and jesus it's about 600 USD for a toy. A toy!

Looking up the figure now, and not many people seemed to be pleased over the 600 dollar pricetag when it got announced. According to one review, it's a giant partsformer, it has almost no diecast, and it's made entirely out of the rubbery plastic they used for the old MSIA Gundam toys.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 4, 2016

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

TaurusOxford posted:

Looking up the figure now, and not many people seemed to be pleased over the 600 dollar pricetag when it got announced. According to one review, it's a giant partsformer, it has almost no diecast, and it's made entirely out of the rubbery plastic they used for the old MSIA Gundam toys.

hosed up if true. Materials were by far the weakest point of MSIA, and that poo poo was dimestore money to buy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ka0 posted:

I was playing OG the first but I'm stuck on the stop the nuclear missiles mission; you're supposed to disable the missiles by hitting them without destroying them but most of my units are all pretty beefy and I keep detonating the things over and over. Maybe I'll restart.

You should have someone with Mercy. Or was that even in OG1?

Alternatively just use your weakest weapons.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

hosed up if true. Materials were by far the weakest point of MSIA, and that poo poo was dimestore money to buy.

http://kumastyledesigns.com/toy-reviewpictorial-volks-variable-srx-gift-set/

The pictures alone make it obvious that it's that old rubbery plastic, plus Kuma is a trustworthy reviewer.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BlitzBlast posted:

DEVELOPMENT TIMELINE OF EFSF MS:

The Goal of "Operation V" was the Development of MS

Operation V, also known as the "Vinson Plan", was a plan to rebuild the space armada lost in the period of time from the One Week War at the beginning of U.C. 0079 (1/3 ~ 1/10) to the Battle of Loum (1/15 ~ 1/16). It began on April 1st of the same year.

An unprecedently massive project, the purpose of "Operation V" was the development and construction of mass-produced MS, assault craft that could serve as motherships for these MS, and weapons that could effectively make use of the new tactics made available by these. Upon completion, the task of delivering the finished product to the existing "Earth Federation Forces" wouldn't be left solely to defense contractors. The doors would also be thrown open to a wide array of private enterprises.

Upon actually starting, it was decided that this project would absorb the the in-progress "RX Plan" into its already enormous draft. Several useful concepts from the RX Plan were incorporated into Operation V, and it wasn't uncommon for there to be simultaneous advancements in the developments of both the prototypes and the mass-production machines.

Prior to the onset of the war, the Zeonic Company displayed the MS they had been developing, claiming them to be work machines that could keep the peace in the Principality of Zeon. Their goal was to sound out a reaction from the Federation forces. And upon witnessing the testing of a demilitarized MS-05 Zaku I equipped with demonstration armor, Federation executives judged it would never be a military threat due to its large size (which would make picking it up with radar easy even from long distances) and its complete lack of built-in weapons. Still, taking into consideration information that Zeon was organizing and training a mobile practice battalion, these Federation officials decided to ask private enterprises to begin development on "gigantic, human-like weapons" as well as research countermeasures. This was the RX Plan.

Incidentally, due to a lack of a definite budget, in order for defense contractors to accomodate this project they had to reorganize their budget plans and take money from already in-progress weapons research. They also reached out to private enterprises to assist with their early plans and prototypes, and as a result all sorts of ideas were greatly influenced by the weapons industry. Like this, a great deal of foundational data was gathered.

And thus came January 3rd, U.C. 0079. The Principality of Zeon declared war on the Earth Federation, and the Zeon War for Independence (also known as the One Year War) began. And at the onset of hostilities, the Federation soldiers on the frontlines bore witness to the miraculous might of the "first" MS. The Earth Federation was pushed to the brink of surrender in just under a month, and by the time Operation V was initiated (April), Zeon forces had already occupied more than a third of the Earth's surface. With the goal of overturning this state of affairs, the Federation made the drastic decision to start development of their own MS.

•••

I enjoyed this, thanks (tho I suspect they're making it up as they go along)

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Volks made some sick non-kit SRWOG stuff, I think the best (and rarest) is the Grungust, or so I've heard.

Neurolimal posted:

Man, does anyone else really hate it when a companies' wacky april fools gag is something you actually want/to see

The Nendoroid people had this problem two years in a row, where the cry of "I wish that was real I would buy the hell out of that" was so huge they ended up making them for real in the end. Last years was a Fundoshi set for your Nendos so they can be dudes in various loincloths and it's good as hell.