Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They announced a new "calculation engine" just recently. That combined with the fact that they've considered in the past on recanting the not rolling over negative values, maybe it'll be coming back soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
E: nm I'm dumb and my startup disk was full

Defenestration fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 7, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/post/a-status-report-on-reports-some-other-things

Kinda just wish they left direct import alone and went onto at least making it worthwhile to go from YNAB4.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If I could just get reports, I would be 100% happy with this new thing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I still find it funny that they went from "direct importing would be bad and make people lazy" to "direct import is good please use us" and this happened.

In the mean time, I finally got my friend to use YNAB and he's finished his first month of budgeting so far. :toot: It's still complicated for him but I'm helping him manage it and it seems to be working well for him otherwise.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm on month 3. While I don't care about using Age of Money, I do like being able to see exactly where everything is going and track it all well. Eventually when I have enough cash to cover the months expenses sitting in checking, it will be nice to only budget in future months so I don't have to see the -$xxx left to budget before the final paycheck of the month comes in.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My net worth is going up but my age of money is stagnant and I don't really get it

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Oh hey, no more next month in one? What the hell do I do with the checks I receive this month if I'm already at rule 4? Create a deferred income category?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Budget your next month.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

You can either budget next month (if you're waiting on say, a second paycheck for that month you'll be sort of overspent in the future for now) or if you're hung up on ynab past, make a holding category and just sort of push and pull money in and out of there every month

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ah. Didn't think it'd be smart enough to deduct from the to be budgeted if I do that. Makes sense!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, it's an unlucky design. My "Funds for [month]" displayed are always twice of what I earn, because it's what's remaining from last month (which I wanted to budget this month) plus this month's paychecks. IMO they should split it into "Funds from Last Month" and "Funds for This Month".

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Or go back to ol faithful 'this month' and 'next month'

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They want to dump all your monies into a single income category, so don't expect it to come back. Less complexity, if you don't need to schedule things. The Last/This month split would just be simple accounting bullshit the web app needs to do anyway.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

In YNAB4, is there a good way to set up a corporate credit card? I currently have it off budget because it doesn't actually impact my budget but I do pay it off myself. I use the corporate card, get reimbursed by the company, and then use that money to pay the balance each month. I currently have a category in my budget for "work expenses" that I put the reimbursements in and then just do a transfer to the off-budget card at the end of the month. Is that the best way or is there a better way?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm still using YNAB 4 but is there a way to send the rest of available monies to the next month? I know that it does it automatically but I'd like that "Available to Budget" to read zero.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
You can create a 'carryover' category or whatever you'd like to call it and budget all the money there. Then in the next month just budget a negative amount in that category to free the money up for assignment.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

SaltLick posted:

I'm still using YNAB 4 but is there a way to send the rest of available monies to the next month? I know that it does it automatically but I'd like that "Available to Budget" to read zero.

Just assign it in this month to whatever category you'd be using it for next month and it will carry over the positive balance while lowering your available to budget amount. I either put it in a particular savings category or I'll add it to something substantial like my rent. If I have $300 extra then I can "overbudget" my rent for this month and it will retain that balance so that next month I don't have to budget as much.

Remember that it's all flexible so even if you decide to dump all of that extra money into your hookers category for this month for the time being, you can still do a negative budgeted amount the following month and it will appear again in your available to budget.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 8, 2016

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to immediately register a scheduled transaction in nYNAB? For example, I have scheduled items for the two paychecks I receive every month, but since the 10th is on a weekend one's arrived today. I know YNAB4 had the option to "register now" but I can't seem to find it in nYNAB.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SaltLick posted:

I created a "Savings for Whatever" category that I just stuff the leftover money into.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

IAmKale posted:

Is there a way to immediately register a scheduled transaction in nYNAB? For example, I have scheduled items for the two paychecks I receive every month, but since the 10th is on a weekend one's arrived today. I know YNAB4 had the option to "register now" but I can't seem to find it in nYNAB.

1. Quickest way for your scenario is to just adjust the day on the schedule, which is actually what's happening anyway, right?
2. I've just entered all of my recurring bills to go in on the 1st of the month so my balance is always technically accurate. Just means I have to deal with a transaction for my rent hanging out for three weeks

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
How do you guys handle things like vehicle depreciation? I got to thinking about it today after I sold one of my cars (getting rid of another debt, woo!) I have a KBB value for my truck and my wife's car, but I"m pretty drat sure neither of them are 'worth" that anymore. Do you just check once a month/every so often and divide over the number of months you have?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
You don't. Ynab isn't for asset tracking, it's for tracking cash flow. :shrug:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You could track your assets in Mint and keep the values up to date, if you want a net worth that doesn't include liquid assets.

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

Gothmog1065 posted:

How do you guys handle things like vehicle depreciation? I got to thinking about it today after I sold one of my cars (getting rid of another debt, woo!) I have a KBB value for my truck and my wife's car, but I"m pretty drat sure neither of them are 'worth" that anymore. Do you just check once a month/every so often and divide over the number of months you have?

Contrary to what others have said, I put the KBB value of my car as a cash asset and my loan as a liability under the tracking categories (off-budget).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

tyler is a joke posted:

Contrary to what others have said, I put the KBB value of my car as a cash asset and my loan as a liability under the tracking categories (off-budget).

Yep, that's what I've basically done, but I checked the KBB a while back, and of course the values are lower, and I was wondering how to account for that. I could just change the starting values which probably would have the least impact on my reporting.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just enter an outgoing transaction of that amount. It's off budget so YNAB shouldn't give a poo poo

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Yeah, I do that with my retirement accounts, which are off budget. At the beginning of each month when I allocate my budget I go to each retirement account and hit reconcile, enter the account's current balance, then "finish," and allow YNAB to create the adjustment transaction.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
My student loans are off-budget, and I transfer payments to them monthly. But I don't reconcile them, because as infuriating as it is, I like to see how much they would be without interest accounted for.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

Defenestration posted:

My student loans are off-budget, and I transfer payments to them monthly. But I don't reconcile them, because as infuriating as it is, I like to see how much they would be without interest accounted for.

This is exactly how I motivate myself to pay them down faster. I also don't reconcile my retirement accounts since the fluctuations of the market on a month by month basis are going to make my net worth reports look insane.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Joiny posted:

This is exactly how I motivate myself to pay them down faster. I also don't reconcile my retirement accounts since the fluctuations of the market on a month by month basis are going to make my net worth reports look insane.

I just reconcile those quarterly now; checking in so often was making me crazy. They...haven't been making my net worth jump too much lately. :(

I've also been reconciling the balances of my loans and having YNAB fix the math--much easier than entering the interest on each one. The only problem is that it's harder to track how much I'm spending on interest.

e: decided I'd strayed too far from the topic

epenthesis fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 17, 2016

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
Looking to start using YNAB - should I buy the $60 steam version or are the features in the subscription version worth it?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

gbaby posted:

Looking to start using YNAB - should I buy the $60 steam version or are the features in the subscription version worth it?

Start with the nYNAB free trial and go from there.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
nYNAB (the new one) is still missing a handful of features that YNAB4 (Steam version) has, but it's also a web-based SaaS thing so you can use it anywhere as opposed to YNAB4 that's mostly desktop-only.

If you go the nYNAB route you might want to look into the toolkit extension that supposedly makes it less crappy to use.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

gbaby posted:

I was new to YNAB in January, apparently just after nYNAB launched. Since I don't know what I'm missing in the old version, I'm finding nYNAB to be great for what I want from it. I've had a couple problems, but they were mostly me problems rather than problems with the system or anything.

Unrelated question: I'm not going to have an income for an unknown period of time (I'm on strike). I'm financially prepared for this, but want to make sure I'm putting it all in YNAB the best way. Right now, I have my savings account on-budget with the money in it budgeted to savings. I'm figuring as I draw on that account, I remove that money from the savings budget, which moves it back into To Be Budgeted and then spread it out from there. Then I move the money into checking as a transfer. Make sense?

It's going to be a huge bummer to watch my net worth go down.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

you ate my cat posted:

Unrelated question: I'm not going to have an income for an unknown period of time (I'm on strike). I'm financially prepared for this, but want to make sure I'm putting it all in YNAB the best way. Right now, I have my savings account on-budget with the money in it budgeted to savings. I'm figuring as I draw on that account, I remove that money from the savings budget, which moves it back into To Be Budgeted and then spread it out from there. Then I move the money into checking as a transfer. Make sense?

It's going to be a huge bummer to watch my net worth go down.

Sounds like you're doing it correctly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

gbaby posted:

The major differences are that there aren't reports yet in nYNAB and that it pools all income into a single pool to draw from instead of explicitly moving it to the next month. Latter made some people upset, but unless you budget your current month beyond your means, the end result is the same, because the remainder of the money pool still ends up next month. But considering the sort of questions about money I keep reading in the YNAB forums, people got mad about it because same people suck at math and money.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Hope you don't mind seeing a 1yr net worth graph...

Not the most hugely impressive but despite living alone on comparatively low wages, I am still managing to save at least 20% of my pay and stopped the downward slide in my net worth. No debt beyond a student loan (which is paid pre-tax, so I don't track it in YNAB at all)

I am now far more knowledgeable about retirement options and savings, and know my account movements down to the last digit.

Cheers YNAB, here's to much less money stress (but still unlikely to move to nYnab any time soon though :))

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Good for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Easychair Bootson posted:

Yeah, I do that with my retirement accounts, which are off budget. At the beginning of each month when I allocate my budget I go to each retirement account and hit reconcile, enter the account's current balance, then "finish," and allow YNAB to create the adjustment transaction.

I do the same, except I just add a transaction called something like "Mark to Market" that reflects the loss or gain that month so it matches the account value on the statement. Transfers to the Retirement or Investment accounts get categorized in a "To Invest" category, which is money I set aside from my income for retirement and investments beyond what's automatically deducted from my paycheck. If I'm still using YNAB in 30 years when I tap those accounts, the transfers back to on budget would be categorized as income.

In super, super nerdy RPG terms:

On budget accounts is the "Material Plane", where everyday life takes place. Money that enters the material plane must be assigned a category, either directly (reimbursements, etc) or through budgeting (income and then assigned out of the available pool at the budget screen). Money can only leave the material plane through spending (destroyed), or transfers to off-budget accounts. In both instances it must have a category assigned.

Off budget accounts is the "Astral Plane of Finance", a mysterious realm haunted by good and evil banker daemons, creatures that wield the magiks of investment and debt. Accounts on this plane are for long term savings or debt, and money banished to this plane is not meant to interact with your everyday life at all. If you did your 401k and investments correctly, hopefully more money will return to the material plane one day decades from now, rather than less money.

I am a huge dork who will die alone on top of my gigantic treasure horde (thanks YNAB!)