Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think I liked 40k more back in the day when it still had a mix of scify styles. It was supposed to be showing what was once a clean futuristic society descended into a horrible dark age, so of course there would be a mix of styles of tech. But in 40k now every single city, vehicle, and person is the exact same gothic style. There's zero diversity between planets and eras. That ancient battleship from the dark age of technology they pulled out of the warp is still just a big floating gothic cathedral. It's like the whole universe was designed by one person at one time and never changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

I think I liked 40k more back in the day when it still had a mix of scify styles. It was supposed to be showing what was once a clean futuristic society descended into a horrible dark age, so of course there would be a mix of styles of tech. But in 40k now every single city, vehicle, and person is the exact same gothic style. There's zero diversity between planets and eras. That ancient battleship from the dark age of technology they pulled out of the warp is still just a big floating gothic cathedral. It's like the whole universe was designed by one person at one time and never changed.

40k went downhill the moment it abandoned its goofy roots and stated taking itself seriously.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

A_Bluenoser posted:

40k went downhill the moment it abandoned its goofy roots and stated taking itself seriously.

And when they started writing everything from the point of Imperial propaganda.

ed: Ah gently caress, the death thread's leaking again.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 3, 2016

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Getting frustrated with trying to airbrush a matte coat. I have some Vallejo 70.520 Matt Varnish (The acrylic, not polyurethane kind) and it seems to frost/have a white coat no matter what I try. I got black plastic spoons to test on and it's super obvious. Am I possibly just really screwing up the application or what? Every tip or product I've tried adding to it doesn't help.

I'm not against buying something else, but I'd prefer not a rattlecan since it's a lot harder to control or apply to a smaller area.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Have you tried gloss-coating it first, and then matte coating it once that's dried? And go super light with the matte coat, since black makes it stand out more than any other color.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

Getting frustrated with trying to airbrush a matte coat. I have some Vallejo 70.520 Matt Varnish (The acrylic, not polyurethane kind) and it seems to frost/have a white coat no matter what I try. I got black plastic spoons to test on and it's super obvious. Am I possibly just really screwing up the application or what? Every tip or product I've tried adding to it doesn't help.

I'm not against buying something else, but I'd prefer not a rattlecan since it's a lot harder to control or apply to a smaller area.

I also got this a couple of weeks ago and still don't know why. It just started happening one day. I'm now using Microscale Flat instead.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Could be the seasons changing causing it. Getting hotter and more humid going into spring could cause it to be drying partially midair. Maybe a drop or two of thinner might help it stay wet long enough to dry properly on the model.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Could be the seasons changing causing it. Getting hotter and more humid going into spring could cause it to be drying partially midair. Maybe a drop or two of thinner might help it stay wet long enough to dry properly on the model.

I live in a desert with currently... 29% humidity in here, 12% outside. Buuuuut I just noticed the "dryer" on my new tiny/quiet compressor is starting to accumulate some water. There's no time at all for the air to cool down so it's probably doing a poo poo job at extracting moisture. Experiment time...

Brush hooked up to the big compressor with 7 gal tank, filled then given a few minutes to cool down so the dryer can do it's job. Same results, though the moisture in line of the other compressor probably means it's time to add that 1 gal tank in line I've been meaning to. This'll also have the nice bonus of helping the compressor cycle on and off less.

In a fit of "fuckit" I did 4 drops of varnish to 1 drop of Liquitex Retarder and it seemed to get good non-frosted results, though it was thick as hell. So perhaps my main problem is the ambient air is too dry? Hmm.

tunah posted:

I also got this a couple of weeks ago and still don't know why. It just started happening one day. I'm now using Microscale Flat instead.

Ordered a bottle of this to try as well.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Hahaha, got it at last I think. Hedgehog had the right idea, the mix just needed a lot of thinner.

10 drops varnish, 3 drops Liquitex Airbrush Medium, 3 drops Liquitex Retarder ("Slo-Dry")

Results:

Left: One coat of straight varnish, looks a lot whiter in person. Multiple coats dulled the shine, but made it even whiter.

Center: One uncoated plastic spoon.

Right: The above mentioned mix, this is about 4 coats with maybe 10 seconds between coats. Slightly lighter, but it doesn't look like it was dipped in milk.

E: I also realize this is like a worst case scenario test, but it also made it really easy to see the results.

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 3, 2016

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

My crapkit won a silver medal. Silver means I'm the best loser :unsmith:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's the poo poo dude.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone have any tricks for gluing on the tiny individual links for an Italeri model? This poo poo has been maddening.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
have you tried using a rubber band or low-tack tape to hold it together while you wick the glue in?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unkempt posted:

What could possibly have beaten a Hi-Mock punishing a toilet?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I think it was this little Star Wars thing in front:

Overall best in show was this -

I've put a smallish gallery here

I also won a Tamiya Tiger I in the raffle so that was cool.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

muike posted:

have you tried using a rubber band or low-tack tape to hold it together while you wick the glue in?

It's a combination of multi-track links, some which are glued in mid air, and about sixty single link pieces. I've seen folks use double sided table to hold them all down, but the combination thing is making it a bitch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Unkempt posted:

I almost went to Valleycon. I would have recognized that instantly! Nice job.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Unkempt posted:

That's loving awesome and you should be proud of yourself.

A lot of Revell and Italieri 1/72nd kits are actually downscaled old Tamiya kits. They are nightmares to assemble due to that. I've done a Panzer I with individual links.

VVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 4, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Yooper posted:

Anyone have any tricks for gluing on the tiny individual links for an Italeri model? This poo poo has been maddening.

I usually arrange a few links on tape, wait for the glue to set in, and then shape them around the tracks while they're already sort of bonded but still pretty flexible. Works for me in 1:35th, but that looks like 1:72nd, which I didn't even know had link to link tracks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm finally getting around to working on the f22 I bought last year. There's some internal parts that need to be white, which I'm brush painting since I'm not too worried about brushstrokes on the weapons bay. Is there any way to help how many coats are needed before full coverage? I've always hated painting whites and yellows due to how many coats I needed, but don't know if there's anything I can do about it. I'm using Tamiya paint for this section.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've got a masking question.

I took the painting guide, scaled it up to full size in mspaint, then traced out the lines of the patterns. My intention: tape the guide down, tape down a sheet of frisket film, and then cut the masks as needed.

Given the size of the lightest gray, my instinct is to put down a coat of the dark charcoal gray, let it dry for a couple hours, then mask. After that I'd do the medium gray, repeat dry/mask, and finish with the light gray.

Someone on a modeling FB group basically said frisket film is not meant for this and didn't really yet mention anything else I could try. Someone else said my idea was sound, and maybe put down a light coat of white primer before the last, lightest coat.

What do you all think? I'm not forever fixed on the method, so I'm open to suggestions, but my logic is that it'd be tougher to work with lightest first due to the sheer giant size of the gray mask that'd go over the dorsal side.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is that some anime plane?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's from ace combat so...yes??

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
It's a Sukhoi SU-33 isn't it?

EDIT: I would look into buying a pre made splinter camo mask personally. I used one on an SU-27 I did in this thread a while back and it was very easy to work with and behaved very similally to Tamiya tape. Some chronological progress shots for your reference, the colours are different but the technique could apply well to that scheme.

big_g fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 4, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

big_g posted:

Yeah ace combat uses 98% real world planes with made up livery and then 2% sci-fi super planes

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

It's not from an anime, it's from a video game
:goonsay:

But yeah, it's an Su-37. I have the kit from Zvezda that I got on a Facebook model kit auctions group for crazy cheap. There's bootleg waterslide decals on Ebay that cover most of the major squadrons from the series, and here we are.

I've built a bunch of Gundam models since my last unsuccessful attempts at normal model building, but I learned a seriously huge amount of basic patience and focus in my last major Gundam build. Plus how stupid it is to use popsicle sanding sticks for all things and how just getting in there with your hand and sandpaper makes seams work very well.

I needed to clear out this and a 1/72 F-14 with Top Gun movie decals from my backlog, and here we are.

muike posted:

Yeah ace combat uses 98% real world planes with made up livery and then 2% sci-fi super planes

This is in my backlog too. I'm not attempting it until I'm 100% good 'n ready. http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10047724

Ask me how market prices work on out-of-production kits that won't ever again be produced :smith:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Quote =/= edit

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

big_g posted:

EDIT: I would look into buying a pre made splinter camo mask personally. I used one on an SU-27 I did in this thread a while back and it was very easy to work with and behaved very similally to Tamiya tape. Some chronological progress shots for your reference, the colours are different but the technique could apply well to that scheme.

I know you posted this before, but drat that plane looks great!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

big_g, where did you get that mask? I want to do an F-18 aggressor in that same sort of paint scheme.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man last night I tried to make a simple zebra crossing out of tape and gave up...

I just drew a line style crosswalk, took the cowards way out.

Graffi added to this building too

And generally added some weathering to this corner.

All the sidewalks and roads and cracks and stuff are cardboard + utility knife.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Deeters posted:

big_g, where did you get that mask? I want to do an F-18 aggressor in that same sort of paint scheme.

I'm afraid I can't remember where I ordered it from but it was definitely one of these. J'swork ones.

Worth some googling to find a retailer near you as it was a very good set.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

I usually arrange a few links on tape, wait for the glue to set in, and then shape them around the tracks while they're already sort of bonded but still pretty flexible. Works for me in 1:35th, but that looks like 1:72nd, which I didn't even know had link to link tracks.

That's about what I ended up doing. It really turned out crappy though. The cogs in the drive wheel were so mis-cast that it turned into a grade A poo poo show. Oh well, I'm learning, and once it's painted it won't look half terrible from eight feet away.

This must be an old mold, there's flashing and odd bits all over the place. Hopefully the KV-1 kit is a bit better.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Yooper posted:

That's about what I ended up doing. It really turned out crappy though. The cogs in the drive wheel were so mis-cast that it turned into a grade A poo poo show. Oh well, I'm learning, and once it's painted it won't look half terrible from eight feet away.

This must be an old mold, there's flashing and odd bits all over the place. Hopefully the KV-1 kit is a bit better.

Mix some sand with white glue and slather it on, it will look like mud and hopefully not poo poo.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ensign Expendable posted:

Mix some sand with white glue and slather it on, it will look like mud and hopefully not poo poo.

When my dad was in the army, he had to work with some APCs that had big honking white stars on the sides, which kind of defeats the purpose of the camouflage. He and his troops slathered mud on the sides to cover the stars up.

Somewhere along the line he stumbled on a Tamiya kit of the very APC he'd been riding around in. He replicated the look of the mud using...mud. He literally just gathered some mud, watered it down a bit more to make it workable, and slathered it on the model.

I don't have photos, but it still looks pretty good even after sitting in a box on a shelf since before I was born. He keeps saying he's gonna fix some damage incurred by the several moves since then and give the thing to me, but he never gets around to it.

I do have this, though, from the same box:

Not really related. Just posting a random shot of my tank shelf. Drunkmodeling, bestmodeling.

Relatedly, I've finally gotten around to decaling the Tamiya Stug III I've had laying around for a year+

I'm procrastinating on painting the rubber parts of those goddamn wheels. T-34s and 55s have really easy to paint wheels, but the German ones are uniformly a pain in the dick. :smith:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 5, 2016

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MJP posted:

:suicide:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

MJP posted:

I took the painting guide, scaled it up to full size in mspaint, then traced out the lines of the patterns. My intention: tape the guide down, tape down a sheet of frisket film, and then cut the masks as needed.

Given the size of the lightest gray, my instinct is to put down a coat of the dark charcoal gray, let it dry for a couple hours, then mask. After that I'd do the medium gray, repeat dry/mask, and finish with the light gray.

Someone on a modeling FB group basically said frisket film is not meant for this and didn't really yet mention anything else I could try. Someone else said my idea was sound, and maybe put down a light coat of white primer before the last, lightest coat.

What do you all think? I'm not forever fixed on the method, so I'm open to suggestions, but my logic is that it'd be tougher to work with lightest first due to the sheer giant size of the gray mask that'd go over the dorsal side.

if you REALLY care about getting the splinter scheme exactly as shown, you're pretty much gonna need to break out the tamiya tape and exacto with a fresh blade. if just looking similar enough is good enough, you can get precut masking tape sections from pretty much any of the japanese hobby megastore sites. They're really nice if you want to do a digital scheme, too.

Alternative, cheap, and probably not too good looking unless you have really steady hands and a fine airbrush: you could try to freehand small sections at a time if you have a narrow enough spray pattern using a card or something to mask the edge areas. I wouldn't recommend this, but i've used it with middling success to to dazzle camo on the sides of battleships.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mr E posted:

I'm finally getting around to working on the f22 I bought last year. There's some internal parts that need to be white, which I'm brush painting since I'm not too worried about brushstrokes on the weapons bay. Is there any way to help how many coats are needed before full coverage? I've always hated painting whites and yellows due to how many coats I needed, but don't know if there's anything I can do about it. I'm using Tamiya paint for this section.

You might be able to cut down on the number of coats by starting with a white primer. The right kind should block out most if not all of the original plastic color.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Here's a project worthy of :suicide:

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
The Swedish M90 camouflage scheme is really beautiful but also a bitch to paint. Maybe not very difficult, but it takes time and tons of masking tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my concern isn't exactly "MUST GET EXACT SCHEME" but "I would like to get a decent splinter scheme." I'm going to testbed a few copies of the mask cut out of frisket on something to see how well I can make it happen, but I'm willing to put the $ into a precut mask if it comes down to that. Freehanding ain't gonna happen.