Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Nerobro posted:

I use a plastic tackle box. For the 1s eflite batteries I have a "charged" and "discharged" bin. For the big batteries, if it's in the tackle box, it's charged, if it's free floating in my bag, it's spent.

For 1s eflite batteries, if they are in a charger and the charger says they are charged, then they're charged. Otherwise, they need shoved in a charger.

Bigger ones, it's just two piles and a multimeter, I really should be more organized and keep track of number of charges, but :effort:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

patentmagus posted:

For 1s eflite batteries, if they are in a charger and the charger says they are charged, then they're charged. Otherwise, they need shoved in a charger.

Bigger ones, it's just two piles and a multimeter, I really should be more organized and keep track of number of charges, but :effort:.

I've had eflite chargers blow up cells. I pull them when the light stops flashing. I lost six cells that way.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of batteries -- How do you guys keep track of your spent batteries vs fresh, when you go out? Just curious.

I use the rubber caps that batteries usually ship with over the XT60 connectors. If there's a cap on the connector, it's charged. If not, it's spent. Pretty fool proof since there's no chance of me putting the cap back on a spent one in the field. For the ones I don't have the vinyl caps for I just 3d printed some xt60 caps and use those.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Nerobro posted:

I've had eflite chargers blow up cells. I pull them when the light stops flashing. I lost six cells that way.

The celectra one?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Google Butt posted:

The celectra one?

There's two celetra ones. I've not tested the single cell one. But the 4cell charger blew up a few cells on me.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

So they sent me the QX 3D instead of the regular QX.. should I exchange it or is it still okay?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'd swap it. the QX3d takes different batteries than most of the eflite stuff. Though.. the nano qx2 uses the same batteries... so.. maybe?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

:(

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

The QX 3D is usually cheaper from what I've seen. I've flown my friends before and think it's a lot of fun but I've heard of some issues with the quality control regarding them. Also the propellers are a bit more expensive I think and there's not any cheap china propellers you can get that I've seen. Also wow didn't know they released a Nano QX2! I Got my Nano QX FPV in December. :( Oh well not that much has changed on it but it looks neat.

Granted I just watched a video and it didn't click before that it uses the QX 3D Battery. That's my one major dislike of the Nano QX FPV minus the crappy motors it comes with, the flight times are very short. Looks really cool

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 7, 2016

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Yeah I'm swapping it. The agility mode looks weird and I don't want to learn any bad habits in case I decide to build one in the future. Thanks!

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I'm looking to upgrade my ECSs and motors from the cheapo babbie's first quad kit I got a while back. To check my understanding, a 2204-2300Kv motor will have 2300 RPM per volt. Therefor, to get the most thrust, the higher the Kv the better. However, I've been reading that lower Kv's will provide more torque if your voltage isn't high enough. If I'm flying a 250 quad with a 3S, 5x4 props laden with a FPV and recording cam, should I be looking at the biggest Kv I can get? I'm thinking of upgrading to a set of 4S batteries, should I do that before I upgrade the motors?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

You'll see some BIG benefits going to 6" props, if they'll fit. Or going to 5x4.5.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

:cripes: I just bought a whole bunch of spare 5x4s. The arms installed just *barely* fit 5x4s. Ironically, I have a second set of arms that could fit 5x4.5s easily, but the motors I have don't fit the mounting points on those arms.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Takkaryx posted:

:cripes: I just bought a whole bunch of spare 5x4s. The arms installed just *barely* fit 5x4s. Ironically, I have a second set of arms that could fit 5x4.5s easily, but the motors I have don't fit the mounting points on those arms.

Erm those are both 5 inch props, there should be no difference in length. The 4 vs. 4.5 is the pitch.

In any case if you go straight to to 5x4.5 without upgrading your motors or ESC's, you might actually see worse performance (or worse blow an ESC if the amp draw is too high). I dunno what your current setup is though. You need a lot of power to push those aggresive props.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Wait, I thought the .5 was indicative of a bullnose prop? Either way, assuming I stick with the 5x4s for now (At least until I break them all) and go with 20A ESCs, should I go with the 2300Kv or the 2000Kv motors? My instinct is to say mo Kv mo betta mo fastah, but some of the finer points of this are most likely eluding me.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Nah it's just more pitch. 40 vs 45. Bullnose props will be labeled as such, like the gemfan 5045BN's (and are even more aggressive). Bullnose or not, it's still 5 inches and should fit fine on your arms. I'd go with the 2300 for 5" props.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
thats a lame price for last years ESCs and motors.I feel like you could do better elsewhere, even in the US

rmrc's t motor and somewhat newer blheli ESCs (maybe littlebee, maybe ztw spider, not sure) is $160. Their DYS combo is $90 but I don't know how much nicer than what you currently have, that is.

edit: hell, you could just buy 4 of the emax red bottom 2300kv motors and the xm20a ESCs for less

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 7, 2016

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'm running 6x3's on 1806 2300kv motors. I've done some testing, and found that they're the upper limit of what the motor can spin at low speeds.

Actually, there needs to be some good data posted of this. That said, I've got a motor test stand, and a bunch of motors that are ready to test.

DYS 1806, Multistar 1704, emax 1806, and... I can't even remember most of them. And I have data from testing the F550 airframe motor...

Is it wrong I want to sell testing data? Instead of just giving it away.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Nerobro posted:

I'm running 6x3's on 1806 2300kv motors. I've done some testing, and found that they're the upper limit of what the motor can spin at low speeds.

Actually, there needs to be some good data posted of this. That said, I've got a motor test stand, and a bunch of motors that are ready to test.

DYS 1806, Multistar 1704, emax 1806, and... I can't even remember most of them. And I have data from testing the F550 airframe motor...

gently caress no it's not wrong but people on other forums will surely tell you that it is because they feel totally entitled to getting everything for free. The question is whether or not people will pay for it. For the mini quad hobby crowd I think you'll have limited success. However good thrust and power data of quality non-Tmotor prop and motor combos can be hard to come by so you may get some people from the industrial and custom UAV building crowd looking for that info (but undoubtedly for motors that are larger than you'd probably have)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nerobro posted:

theres so many people putting so much data already on relevant motors for mini quads at least, sorry dude. every popular motor and esc from the 3" to 6" prop ranges gets covered. with full fancy graphs and google docs and youtube videos and poo poo

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nerobro posted:

Who would pay for it?. And given how much the community knowledge is based on sharing, I would call it a step in the wrong direction.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Nerobro posted:

:words:

Why would it be wrong? The real question is how do you make a nickel from publishing it, is the data already available, and what do you do when someone else gives your data away.

Maybe the thing to do is youtube videos of the testing like that RC model reviews guy.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I recently went through with registering my quadcopter with the FAA and I'm pretty upset with the process they've got set up. Basically, anywhere I could potentially fly my drone is within 5 miles of an airport or heliport. So I went to work gathering contact information from all the airports and heliports that could possibly be in my flying areas and many of them are so small they don't have a tower or control center and some "airports" are just loving grass fields, one with a phone number that appears to be disconnected. I can't even fly my drat thing in my backyard without violating the FAA regulations unless I can make notification and not be be blocked by these airports from flying? So I've been trying to learn as much as I can about this whole thing because I don't understand how the FAA can regulate the airspace in a private backyard, but has there been any progress with some of the lawsuits going on over the registration process, and should I expect these rules to change anytime soon? Are you guys having trouble with local airports or small airports that presumably have no way to contact?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Shep posted:

I recently went through with registering my quadcopter with the FAA and I'm pretty upset with the process they've got set up. Basically, anywhere I could potentially fly my drone is within 5 miles of an airport or heliport. So I went to work gathering contact information from all the airports and heliports that could possibly be in my flying areas and many of them are so small they don't have a tower or control center and some "airports" are just loving grass fields, one with a phone number that appears to be disconnected. I can't even fly my drat thing in my backyard without violating the FAA regulations unless I can make notification and not be be blocked by these airports from flying? So I've been trying to learn as much as I can about this whole thing because I don't understand how the FAA can regulate the airspace in a private backyard, but has there been any progress with some of the lawsuits going on over the registration process, and should I expect these rules to change anytime soon? Are you guys having trouble with local airports or small airports that presumably have no way to contact?

Start looking into the atom 122 frame and similar sizes (my fav is the insect 130 from banggood US), and 1105 series motors. 6500kv and they rip on 2s and kill on 3s. most craft end up being under 150g WITH battery. So you're under 250g and gently caress em.

I know this is probably not a good answer or solution.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

gently caress em is always the correct answer in regard to government agencies, such as the IRS.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it a small craft you're going to keep in your backyard or a park, probably below the tree line? I'd suggest not giving a gently caress
is your craft geofenced and kept from taking off? make a tinfoil hat and follow my previous steps. I googled around about this for a while and found some sites that would list phone numbers, but literally every convo I read about others experiences actually calling people have been either "ok," or "why the gently caress are you calling us"

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(

bring back old gbs posted:

Start looking into the atom 122 frame and similar sizes (my fav is the insect 130 from banggood US), and 1105 series motors. 6500kv and they rip on 2s and kill on 3s. most craft end up being under 150g WITH battery. So you're under 250g and gently caress em.

My understanding was that the 250g limit is for needing to register aircraft. Anything under 250g still has to follow all the FAA guidelines (including staying away from airports), but I really doubt anyone would care about someone flying a 250g drone in their backyard.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

theres so many people putting so much data already on relevant motors for mini quads at least, sorry dude. every popular motor and esc from the 3" to 6" prop ranges gets covered. with full fancy graphs and google docs and youtube videos and poo poo

I've had remarkable trouble finding good thrust data that doesn't involve hours of watching youtube. And.. gently caress that. It's faster to collect the data myself.

patentmagus posted:

Why would it be wrong? The real question is how do you make a nickel from publishing it, is the data already available, and what do you do when someone else gives your data away.

Maybe the thing to do is youtube videos of the testing like that RC model reviews guy.

Good people will toss a couple bucks my way. Other people will steal it. I won't lose my poo poo over it either way. Videos would garuntee some income. ... I think that's the trick.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

bring back old gbs posted:

No, in fact maybe looking into sub 250g is the way to go. But I'm more into the aerial photography aspect of drones and not just flying them. Most of the features I want from an aerial photography drone are on phantom sized units.

I just don't think I should need any sort of authorization from any agency to fly in my own backyard or private property that I have permission to fly on. Basically, having to contact any and all airports within 5 miles as a hobbyist is onerous at best and prohibitive at worst. I don't think just saying gently caress it and ignoring that aspect of the registration guidelines is the way to go. I haven't had a problem yet, in one case I called the airport number and left a message that was never returned. There are 4 airports in my home area and having to notify them each and every time I fly, or work out some long term agreement, is asinine.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 8, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Use common sense, stay the hell away from airports, stay under 400ft AGL and dgaf.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
My pack of spare props, motors, and batteries arrived before my actual quad.

This is torture.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Brekelefuw posted:

This is torture.

Same

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Brekelefuw posted:

This is torture.

I've got an assembled 550 camera platform. And no battery. ... if I am really lucky, it'll show up Monday. And I won't be able to do a damned thing about it until the following weekend.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

After being sent the wrong qx, I reordered the correct one that was $25 (extra props and body shell) more expensive just so I could have it for the weekend. I'm a millennial :)

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 8, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
What's stopping you from stringing together smaller packs in series/parallel to drive your 550?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nerobro posted:

I've had remarkable trouble finding good thrust data that doesn't involve hours of watching youtube. And.. gently caress that. It's faster to collect the data myself.

check the threads in multirotor power systems on rcgroups. also sites like http://www.miniquadtestbench.com/ (same people are in that forum)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

What's stopping you from stringing together smaller packs in series/parallel to drive your 550?
Not a whole lot, other than convenience. I have a 4s 16ah 10/20c pack coming. And I can "just use that" instead of building a crazy Y harness in the meantime.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

check the threads in multirotor power systems on rcgroups. also sites like http://www.miniquadtestbench.com/ (same people are in that forum)
RCgroups is a hellhole. It's got the "to big forum" problem, where instead of good moderation, they fraction it up. I'll try the multirotor power systems forum, see if I can find what I need there.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

So, let's say I really end up liking the Nano QX, what's the next step in this hobby? A real transmitter? I love building poo poo, so that's definitely in my future, not sure where to start though. I'm primarily interested in the racing/fpv style.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Google Butt posted:

So, let's say I really end up liking the Nano QX, what's the next step in this hobby? A real transmitter? I love building poo poo, so that's definitely in my future, not sure where to start though. I'm primarily interested in the racing/fpv style.

Yes, a "good" transmitter makes a world of difference. post here if you make that decision. I probably have a DX6i to get rid of, and I'll do a goon price. Beyond that, it's time to pick up a 250 class FPV rig. They're fun to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Video cut out. :saddowns: