Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Because then I'd just get depressed over how much worse the Da Vinci is at that compared to the original.

Seriously, BFT neutered the Leopard. Every last one of its gimmicks are gone, the bulky proportions that made it a trio with the regular X and the sharp and angular Airmaster were lost, and the only things that were carried over (the general weapon loadout sans the knife) were made as generic as possible. It may as well just be a gimped version of the Heavyarms now.

Maybe X Maoh just set the bar too high for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The DaVinci is one of the weirdest kits Bandai has produced in recent years, and not in any kind of good way. Beyond being nominally attached to a currently running show, nothing about it makes any sense at all.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Speaking of overkill...

I have a Styrene/Epoxy problem.

And I still have a lot I want/need to do before I can do some fine sanding, putty scratches and gaps, and paint the thing. I'm thinking of wings (to fill up some of the epoxy space on the backpack), rounding out the flat spine details, a visor, adding details the right leg has onto the left, fixing the broken foot balljoints (warning for anyone who wants to use the GM 1 for cheap experimenting: those bits are way more fragile than they look.) and a lance.

Original idea was "GM defector with rough customizations and repairs", but after cannibalizing a GM 3 after the arm pegs broke (my bad) and getting half-decent with using styrene I've decided on "GM loaded with thrusters and other fast bits, with a giant piercing weapon, mach 10 ship-buster".

I'm open to any suggestions if anything looks more crap than any other crappy additions. Also: should you scribe panel lines before or after painting?

E: haha, just realized I took those pics without putting his hands back on.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 16, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Also: should you scribe panel lines before or after painting?

Before unless you have amazingly precise tools and impeccable technique.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you've got cash to burn, pick up some modelers' chisels instead of a regular scriber. They are much better.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Barnes and Nobles is selling IBO character stands now

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well there's you silhouette for HG 200. We know it's a REVIVE kit, so get speculating.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Well there's you silhouette for HG 200. We know it's a REVIVE kit, so get speculating.

Strike Freedom or Destiny Gundam.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm thinking Exia. I have no reason to guess that other than it seeming to have no backpack, and having rather slim proportions.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

Eva unit 01?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The legs are so long and slim on that thing that my gut's going with the insane:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

It's a Gundam! :supaburn:

But seriously, those hips, that short torso, the way the shoulder is pretty distinct from the torso and the way the head melds to the body screams 'Leo' to me. I know it won't be, but I can dream.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Only see one arm, it's hobo exia :haw:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The head and shoulder silhouette is really weird, doesn't look like a Gundam type to me. It also looks like it's a preview of the inner frame, but that would be a weird choice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

The head and shoulder silhouette is really weird, doesn't look like a Gundam type to me. It also looks like it's a preview of the inner frame, but that would be a weird choice.

Realer Grade. :v:

Or this:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Looks like a transformed Optimus Primal. Final answer.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

The legs are so long and slim on that thing that my gut's going with the insane:

That would be both beautiful and insane.

I must have it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
It'll be Atlas Gundam.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd go hog wild over a Frame Arms-esque dirt cheap gunnedman skellerton.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm thinking Exia. I have no reason to guess that other than it seeming to have no backpack, and having rather slim proportions.

yeah, plus how far the arms are from the torso

is the old HG so bad an update is called for?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

boom boom boom posted:

yeah, plus how far the arms are from the torso

is the old HG so bad an update is called for?

The HG Exia is good. Most kits from 00 onward are way too recent and too well-made to justify completely new molds.

Anyway, given how indistinct that silhouette is, trying to guess what it is is pretty much useless at this point.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It looks like it's wearing a diaper, so I'm calling a GM

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

The HG Exia is good.

It's not HG SEED bad but it's absolutely not good either. The proportions are messed up, it's way too sticker heavy, doesn't have proper beam sabers, and is all-in-all not a very impressive kit considering how many times they reused it. 00 S2 was the tipping point for HG quality.

Anyway my experience with the DM Tallgeese II started off great, spiraled into frustration as soon as I got to the limbs, and reached full "gently caress this, I'm buying the real MG TG1" as soon as I made a mistake and ended up repeatedly stabbing my fingers trying to separate two pieces.

The MG TG1 is $33 on Banzai with SAL, and I got the DM TG2 for about $30. $63 for a TG2 with extra weapons, waterslides, and the parts for the TG1 isn't that bad a deal, I guess.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

BlitzBlast posted:

It's not HG SEED bad but it's absolutely not good either. The proportions are messed up, it's way too sticker heavy, doesn't have proper beam sabers, and is all-in-all not a very impressive kit considering how many times they reused it. 00 S2 was the tipping point for HG quality.

Which makes it worth noting that, if I remember currently, there are 2 hg exia molds, the s1 version and the revised one from season 2's finale, which is far better and was the basis for the dark matter and amazing exia. So even if the original exia was kinda poo poo there's still a decent version that's more recent.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sorry but you remember wrong. I assume you're talking about the HG Exia R2, but that is straight up the old Exia with one new runner for the R2 parts.

I should know, it was one of my first kits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

That's absolutely batshit insane. And a surprisingly good match for the silhouette.

I'm down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Do you notice the gaps between some stretches of the limbs, the upper arms and abdomen specifically? I'm wondering if it's a transparent kit getting a regular HG release.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you notice the gaps between some stretches of the limbs, the upper arms and abdomen specifically? I'm wondering if it's a transparent kit getting a regular HG release.

Are there any transparent kits that didn't have a regular release first?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Are there any transparent kits that didn't have a regular release first?

I meant more that the transparent ones tend to be P-Bandai or one-off event special runs. Having one as a regular HG kit for everyone would be something special.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Look it really sucks that it's not going to be the Kapool.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's just the way bright light works around the edges of small (relative to the size and intensity of the light source) objects.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Argh.

I started building the PG Zeta that I got from Midjack, finally, and three steps in I stripped the head of a screw. What's the best way to get one of these lovely little fuckers out of a kit? Should I just get a screw extraction kit? Do they even make one small enough to work? How the gently caress do you get these things in without them immediately just melting under the sheer pressure of "I screwed it in a little bit"?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

Argh.

I started building the PG Zeta that I got from Midjack, finally, and three steps in I stripped the head of a screw. What's the best way to get one of these lovely little fuckers out of a kit? Should I just get a screw extraction kit? Do they even make one small enough to work? How the gently caress do you get these things in without them immediately just melting under the sheer pressure of "I screwed it in a little bit"?

If it's sticking out enough you can get a grip on it, get a pair of vise grips or pliers, grab the sides of the head, and unscrew it by turning. If that doesn't work, since the metal is soft enough to strip easily you can probably just drill it out with a small drill bit and a pin vise or electric drill on really low speed, no special extractor needed.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'll try drilling it out. The head's stuck just right so that I can't get a good grip on it because of course it is.

Once I'm done with this kit I swear to god I'll never build another Zeta as long as I live.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

The Muffinlord posted:

Once I'm done with this kit I swear to god I'll never build another Zeta as long as I live.

Word to the wise.

Screws in Gunpla were absolutely awful to deal with and I'm glad they managed to find a way around that.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I don't think I've ever done a kit that had them that hasn't turned into a nightmare in some way.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Comes a certain point where I just say "gently caress it, Imma glue that poo poo," though that's not always possible or desirable.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've never had a problem with them myself, between some older PGs and an S and Ex-S.

Unofficial kits though, very much so. Less because they strip and more because they insist on using this tiny-rear end hex key for everything, and it's incredibly frustrating working with it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Well, I was able to get it out, by wedging my side cutters under the screw head and twisting them out. And then I screwed it back together without attaching the hydraulic parts for the wrist. Gunpla is hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I had that happen on a Jehuty. I put the neck in upside down four times in a row and the swivel peg finally snapped. Got it right the fifth time, at least. :v: