Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That was an awesome EBI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

That was an awesome EBI.

It really is my favorite pro-grappling tournament to watch these days by a mile. Bravo deserves a lot of credit for putting together a format that is consistently producing really watchable matches.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also it is funny to me that in their inaugural Absolute tournament, the guy who's probably the smallest competitor wound up winning by tapping the guy who's probably the largest.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
the rapid fire nature of the tournament really makes it insanely watchable. welcome to the world stage gordon ryan, good loving show

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I knew Gordon Ryan was good. I didn't know he was that good.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Just caught the replay on UFC FIGHT PASS - awesome event. Ryan has just exploded on the scene.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if there is a format in which grappling can become a spectator sport i think eddie bravo is sitting on it. this is the first time i've ever waited until a match is over to piss and even then i missed the first minute of the next one.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Serious, gelled hair, reading glasses ref Eddie Bravo is real funny to me.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The guy I'm competing against May 7th's Facebook profile is mostly fight meme's and anime....So which of you am I fighting?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Now that the trials are done, here's the USA Wrestling Olympic team:

Weights already qualified:
Men’s freestyle
57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Daniel Dennis, Iowa City, Iowa (Titan Mercury WC/Hawkeye WC)
74 kg/163.0 lbs. – Jordan Burroughs, Lincoln, Neb. (Sunkist Kids/Nebraska WTC)
97 kg/213.0 lbs.- Kyle Snyder, Woodbine, Md. (Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
125 kg/275 lbs. – Tervel Dlagnev, Columbus, Ohio (Sunkist Kids/Ohio RTC)
Greco-Roman
75 kg/165 lbs. – Andy Bisek, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Minnesota Storm)
85 kg/187.25 lbs. – Ben Provisor, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC/OTC)
130 kg/286 lbs. – Robby Smith, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC/OTC)
Women’s freestyle
63 kg/138.75 lbs. – Elena Pirozhkova, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Titan Mercury WC)
75 kg/165 lbs. – Adeline Gray, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC/OTC)

Weights that still need to be qualified:
Men’s freestyle:
65 kg/143 lbs. – Frank Molinaro, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
86 kg/189 lbs. – J’Den Cox, Columbia, Mo. (Missouri Wrestling Federation)
Greco-Roman
59 kg/130 lbs. – Jesse Thielke, Germantown, Wis. (New York AC/OTC)
66 kg/145.5 lbs. – RaVaughn Perkins, Omaha, Neb. (New York AC/OTC)
98 kg/215 lbs. – Joe Rau, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
Women’s freestyle
48 kg/105.5 lbs. – Haley Augello, Lockport, Ill. (New York AC/OTC)
53 kg/116.5 lbs. – Helen Maroulis, Huntington Beach, Calif. (Sunkist Kids)
58 kg/128 lbs. – Kelsey Campbell, Tempe, Ariz. (Sunkist Kids)
69 kg/152 lbs. – Tamyra Mensah, Katy, Texas (Titan Mercury WC/OTC)

The two qualifying events left are a tournament in Mongolia April 22-24 where the top three men and top two women qualify and then a tournament in Istanbul May 6-8 where the top two qualify for both men and women. At both events countries can only enter at weights they haven't qualified yet. So the competition gets easier than it has been in the past but there's also some desperation as the window to qualify draws to a close. Wikipedia has a good summary of what weights are qualified for each country.

Cox, Maroulis, and Augello qualified over the weekend. So the list of weights not qualified for the USA is down to...

Weights that still need to be qualified:
Men’s freestyle:
65 kg/143 lbs. – Frank Molinaro, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
Greco-Roman
59 kg/130 lbs. – Jesse Thielke, Germantown, Wis. (New York AC/OTC)
66 kg/145.5 lbs. – RaVaughn Perkins, Omaha, Neb. (New York AC/OTC)
98 kg/215 lbs. – Joe Rau, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
Women’s freestyle
58 kg/128 lbs. – Kelsey Campbell, Tempe, Ariz. (Sunkist Kids)
69 kg/152 lbs. – Tamyra Mensah, Katy, Texas (Titan Mercury WC/OTC)

With just one event left to claim a spot.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

fatherdog posted:

Also it is funny to me that in their inaugural Absolute tournament, the guy who's probably the smallest competitor wound up winning by tapping the guy who's probably the largest.

The largest was the 10p guy at 264lbs. But he also got manhandled by Rustam in the first round. Just goes to show how powerful Rustam is, even giving up 50 lbs to an opponent.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Anyone in here strictly do no-gi BJJ?

I found a well respected gym by me that only does no-gi and just curious on peoples opinions.

I've done no-gi a total of 8 times with 3 of those happening in a competition, but really seem to like it more than gi.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

I found a well respected gym by me that only does no-gi and just curious on peoples opinions.

I've done no-gi a total of 8 times with 3 of those happening in a competition, but really seem to like it more than gi.

I did strictly no-gi for a few years and just started with the gi a couple weeks ago. Outside the high level stuff, it's probably down to preference, though training in both technically doubles the events you can comfortably compete in I guess?? Also (most?) no-gi places don't rank via belts (I'm a white belt :D) if that matters at all to you. The gi is cool and adds some interesting dimensions to the game but I find it cumbersome and don't like that it limits the distance between me and the hot sweaty body of my opponent

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Alfalfa posted:

fatherdog posted:

It's possible to focus on that route. How good an idea it is depends on your goals, but whether you do gi or no gi, if your goal is to become a better grappler you should train with the best coaches and training partners available to you. Even if you intend to compete in no-gi exclusively, you'll be much better off in exclusively gi classes at Marcelo's or Renzo's than a garage full of blue belts training no-gi. Similarily, even if you only ever intend to compete gi, you'd be better off training at Erik Paulson's or Matt Hume's than gi some dude in Alabama who got his blue belt from Royce at a seminar.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Both are good, and at a normal hobbyist level you can adjust very quickly if you switch. I would prioritize instructor/gym culture and convenience way way higher than gi vs no-gi training.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Awesome thanks.

The no-gi school is really solid and has a great reputation. Darkside MMA here in Houston led by Victor Pozas

My other option is Team Tooke but they only offer 4 classes x week at their satellite location by me and I'm not sure I could make more than 2 consistently.

Not to mention Darkside has just an overall bad rear end gym set-up.

wall to wall mats and the entire inside looks like this

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Niiiiice

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

You're not fooling me, that's just a single pair of people rolling everywhere in a timelapse photo (source: some of the pixels)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

No-gi:
Pros: you'll get really good at intangible stuff like subtly shifting your weight to maintain dominant positions
Cons: you'll get used to being able to just 'slip out' of things without doing perfect escapes, the slipperiness will become a crutch

Gi:
Pros: you'll get really methodical and detailed about everything you do which is super good
Cons: you'll get too used to just being able to grab everything and it will become a crutch, instead of controlling your weight correctly you'll just latch onto them. You might use the lapels as a crutch in your guard game too

Doing both is ideal, doing one or the other is fine as long as you're aware of bad habits that you might be developing. Doing no-gi only for a few years has made my gi game a hundred times better and I really didn't expect that, I expected to return to the gi and get annihilated

Also what fatherdog said

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Do no Gi because you can leverage being in good shape more

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Do no Gi because you can leverage being in good shape more

Interestingly, Nogueira has actually said he has an easier time against bigger, stronger guys in no gi than in gi, because in gi a stronger guy can get grips and lock you in place, whereas no gi you can "make more movements".

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Interestingly, Nogueira has actually said he has an easier time against bigger, stronger guys in no gi than in gi, because in gi a stronger guy can get grips and lock you in place, whereas no gi you can "make more movements".

As a heavier (cough overweight cough) guy I like gi because I can get grips on a more athletic/in shape guy and grind the match to a god damned halt. But that same guy in no gi can be difficult for me because it's harder for me to get control and slow the pace down. So they can push the pace and get me tired more easily in no gi.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Iirc big nog had freakishly good grips in gi to the point that a lot of high level competitors commented on it

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Iirc big nog had freakishly good grips in gi to the point that a lot of high level competitors commented on it

I remember Sperry saying that even when they just started training their grip strength was insane

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Did the Nogueira twins do manual labor growing up? I can only assume Palhares had a death grip even before doing bjj.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

origami posted:

Did the Nogueira twins do manual labor growing up? I can only assume Palhares had a death grip even before doing bjj.

well one of them was pretty familiar with dump trucks

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I train with a few farmers and their strength is weird in freakish ways. They all have crazy grip, and they can keep pressing/crushing and stay strong for what feels like all day in any position. I've found it a bit surprising however that I typically can lift more than them.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
If you want to have the most spectacular grip strength on the planet, milk cows by hand for a few months.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I knew a guy that is a farrier, shoes horses. He was inhumanly strong. Per his words, when you have to single a leg horse for 20 minutes, doing it to a person gets a lot easier.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Memento posted:

If you want to have the most spectacular grip strength on the planet, milk cows by hand for a few months.

Or go turn wrenches for a while. My dad has been a tractor mechanic for most of my life and his grip strength is loving nuts.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 29, 2016

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

my grip strength is pretty good but I follow the classic regimen of furious masturbation and opening pickle jars

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
"Gaslight your training partners with Americanas from the guard!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ65kSxyvIk&t=338s

OK which one of you is this

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No idea who he is but he's super annoying

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Team Renzo Gracie - Self Defense Instructional

https://www.facebook.com/tonongarry/videos/1026889680737030/

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Garry can add "Master of Jarate" to his resume

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

fatherdog posted:

Garry can add "Master of Jarate" to his resume

noice

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Seltzer posted:

Serious, gelled hair, reading glasses ref Eddie Bravo is real funny to me.

He's hot. This format rules. First bjj thing I've managed to watch. Lovely stuff

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I was late to catch the replay but Gordon Ryan is god drat amazing. Also I'd be down to watch a new EBI basically weekly.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah it was really good.

Question for the thread: I had a ~240 pound dude pass my guard in training the other day, by riding the inside of my thigh with his shinbone. It hurt like gently caress at the time, and still hurts a bit three days later. What are the chances of having a groin muscle strain or tear just from physical pressure on it? How can I avoid poo poo like that happening in the future? He basically had all his weight on the top of my leg and I was pinned to the ground.

If the answer is "get good", then I'll keep working on that :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Memento posted:

Yeah it was really good.

Question for the thread: I had a ~240 pound dude pass my guard in training the other day, by riding the inside of my thigh with his shinbone. It hurt like gently caress at the time, and still hurts a bit three days later. What are the chances of having a groin muscle strain or tear just from physical pressure on it? How can I avoid poo poo like that happening in the future? He basically had all his weight on the top of my leg and I was pinned to the ground.

If the answer is "get good", then I'll keep working on that :)

He probably just bruised the crap out of it.