Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

It's here! It came a lot earlier than they said it was going to, and oh boy there are a lot more parts than any of the older ones I put together. This should be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
You are automatically my friend if you build the wing zero over that winged travesty from endless schmaltz.

What's the trick to Titans' color schemes? Some sources call for indy blue and red, others call of midnight blue.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I tend to default to MG manuals for this sort of thing. And the 2.0 is pretty clear about it being straight Midnight Blue.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If I weather after dry transfers will that just gently caress up the decals?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you should do another clear coat after the decals

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

muike posted:

you should do another clear coat after the decals

Does it matter if it's a flat or gloss coat?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Well what do you want to do after the decals;

If it's panel lining, gloss coat.

If it's a filter, then go with satin or matt.

If it's weathering using ground pigments, pastels and other stuff, matt coat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Gundam X says hi.

As far as I can tell, the Gundam X was a regular release. Did I miss something?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

We got a MG X but never got MG X Maoh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

We got a MG X but never got MG X Maoh.

Right, but the MG X was a regular release.

What I was saying about the Powered GM wasn't that Bandai never releases a kit without a remold. It's just doing a metric fuckton of remolding for a single P-Bandai release without as much as a game special edition for a regular release...

It would be very odd.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ka0 posted:

Well what do you want to do after the decals;

If it's panel lining, gloss coat.

If it's a filter, then go with satin or matt.

If it's weathering using ground pigments, pastels and other stuff, matt coat.

One last question. If you top coat, then do a filter or wash I should be able to wipe of the paint with a paper towel or q tip and it won't rip apart the dry transfer right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The_Rob posted:

One last question. If you top coat, then do a filter or wash I should be able to wipe of the paint with a paper towel or q tip and it won't rip apart the dry transfer right?

Yes, the top coat protects everything under it. Be sure it's completely dried before doing anything on top of it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Well Manicured Man posted:

The Gundam Portent is very feminine, and the GN drive on the back can be easily removed.

Problem is the part on the front, not the back. It's that big round jewel that cuts things through. I need upper torsos that can replicate that they have garments on, not so much that have big round gems. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MJP posted:

Problem is the part on the front, not the back. It's that big round jewel that cuts things through. I need upper torsos that can replicate that they have garments on, not so much that have big round gems. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

Go on Dalong and scroll down the catalog until you see something that strikes your fancy. Offhand:

G-Lucifer
Mack Knife
and of course, Super Fumina

You might check some of the AGE designs as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just another reminder there are no kits for the Hecate or Barzam, and that that is bullshit.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

So is it probably easier to do line highlights and stuff before the thing is all assembled? Also are there specific pens I should use for that, or would just any kind of fine tipped black sharpie or something work fine?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xenothral posted:

So is it probably easier to do line highlights and stuff before the thing is all assembled? Also are there specific pens I should use for that, or would just any kind of fine tipped black sharpie or something work fine?

Like others said, if you use Sharpies make sure that the surface is dry and the pen is wet. They contain Acetone which, while good for staining plastic with ink, can also strip some paints and weaken cheap ABS plastic when used poorly.

If you don't want to worry about that, go for Gundam pens (or any other pens without Acetone). Other than that, go hog wild.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

Like others said, if you use Sharpies make sure that the surface is dry and the pen is wet. They contain Acetone which, while good for staining plastic with ink, can also strip some paints and weaken cheap ABS plastic when used poorly.

If you don't want to worry about that, go for Gundam pens (or any other pens without Acetone). Other than that, go hog wild.

Right on, I'll probably go find some not-sharpies to do this with then.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
Micron pens are decent if you're dead-set on using pens, otherwise using washes (Vallejo, Flory, Games Workshop [don't give Games Workshop money]) let you fill in lines much faster, but there's a lot more cleanup. They give a little grimier look, too, if you're into that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just another reminder there are no kits for the Hecate or Barzam, and that that is bullshit.

Yo.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

EDIT: Welp, double post. Uhhhhh a friend of mine did some measurements and found out HG Barbatos is like a whole head taller than HG Exia?

Dunno which one is off scale though.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 30, 2016

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Welp, double post. Uhhhhh a friend of mine did some measurements and found out HG Barbatos is like a whole head taller than HG Exia?

High heel pumps Barbatos (form 6) or jogging sneakers Barbatos (any other form)?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I did a side-by-side check with the G-Self, which is supposed to be (and is) the same height as the Barbatos at eighteen metres, and shorter than the 18.3-metre Exia, and the problem is with the Exia - it's absolutely tiny. No big surprise, really - the HG 00 line are pretty compromised compared to modern kits.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Don't be bitter at the pro modellers, don't be bitter at the pro modellers...

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Started building my first RG model tonight, the RX-78. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was surprised to find the whole inner frame limb pre-assembled situation it has. I have no idea how they do that or the MG hands that are all on one tree, but I'm impressed that they do.

Also the amount of stickers is pretty overwhelming. Figured I should start on this kit before the Strike Freedom I got on the shelf.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I did a side-by-side check with the G-Self, which is supposed to be (and is) the same height as the Barbatos at eighteen metres, and shorter than the 18.3-metre Exia, and the problem is with the Exia - it's absolutely tiny. No big surprise, really - the HG 00 line are pretty compromised compared to modern kits.

Told my friend this and he broke out a ruler in response. At a headheight of ~13 cm when it should be 12.5, the Barbatos is closer to 1/135 than 1/144. G-Self is presumably similarly flawed.

It actually seems like Bandai hasn't really gone for exact scale accuracy for a while now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Exact scale is kind of a bullshit concept when talking about fictional robots anyways.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

When they give you an actual size number right there in the instructions they make it easily falsifiable. I don't get too worried about it either since they're fictional but it's an easy thing to get right and it's frustrating that they don't.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

zelah posted:

Started building my first RG model tonight, the RX-78. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was surprised to find the whole inner frame limb pre-assembled situation it has. I have no idea how they do that or the MG hands that are all on one tree, but I'm impressed that they do.

Also the amount of stickers is pretty overwhelming. Figured I should start on this kit before the Strike Freedom I got on the shelf.

I was equally surprised on both accounts with my Char Z'gok; I was absolutely not expecting a sprue with the majority of the frame pre-assembled. I wonder how/why they do that, do they fill the mold with the pieces at separate angles, then attach the joints together before they're put in the bag? I certainly can't imagine they have a molding process so perfect that they can form a sprue with already-working joints.

The nice thing about the RG kits is that superior color separation means that very few of the immense number of stickers are 'mandatory', for the Z'gok the only important stickers are the five metallic stickers for the inner pieces between the limbs and body.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Building this now has me coveting the MG 3.0 even thought I have the The Origin version already. That color separation on the limbs is doing something to me.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

I was equally surprised on both accounts with my Char Z'gok; I was absolutely not expecting a sprue with the majority of the frame pre-assembled. I wonder how/why they do that, do they fill the mold with the pieces at separate angles, then attach the joints together before they're put in the bag? I certainly can't imagine they have a molding process so perfect that they can form a sprue with already-working joints.

I think they just mold part of the sprue, slap the result onto a second mold, and inject the rest of the sprue onto it. Same way your toothbrush has hard plastic with grippy rubber parts molded into it. Joints are formed automatically where the peg of a finished sprue gets encapsulated by molten plastic going through the second stage mold or vice versa.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

I wonder how/why they do that,

Look up ultrasonic welding.

They're good enough at it now that they can even fit in polycaps into the frames. It's pretty neat.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xy Hapu posted:

I think they just mold part of the sprue, slap the result onto a second mold, and inject the rest of the sprue onto it. Same way your toothbrush has hard plastic with grippy rubber parts molded into it. Joints are formed automatically where the peg of a finished sprue gets encapsulated by molten plastic going through the second stage mold or vice versa.

BlitzBlast posted:

Look up ultrasonic welding.

They're good enough at it now that they can even fit in polycaps into the frames. It's pretty neat.

That's pretty clever, I'm mostly used to viewing toys/models as sculptures and assuming low-tech solutions, so I wasn't even aware of ultrasonic welding or forming limbs one-half at a time.

I assume this process is too expensive for HG's, or at least too unreliable with the brittle ABS plastic that is used (I noticed that the RG's inner frame is a flexible & durable rubbery plastic).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just interested in a second opinion here:

I'm liking the Build Arms blades, but I'm wondering if they'll stand out too much compared to the rest of the [so far] design. I was also wondering if it'd be a good idea to customize them to be two-pronged blades with inner workings in the middle of the hilt (for visual cohesiveness with the rockets on the shoulders), or if I should just abide by "Keep It Simple, Stupid."

(Yeah I know that the skirt is waaay further out than the rest of the body, I'm going to raise the part below the triangles to match them and hopefully make it less blatant today)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Yo, what's a good place to get Mr. Color paints in the US (I mean shipping from and to the US)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I hate these things, and they're making more of them

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Gelgoog been eatin' his spinach.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah that looks like crap

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gentei Kits is having a 10% off sale on in in stock items. Just apply "maycloset" to your order.

If you ever wanted a MG Mega Bazooka Launcher, a MG Crossbone X3, or a MG Red Frame, this is your chance.

Ka0 posted:

Yo, what's a good place to get Mr. Color paints in the US (I mean shipping from and to the US)

Hobbywave if you're going for bulk orders. eBay or Amazon if you just want one thing for cheaper.

I recall a friend of mine telling me a better site for single orders, but the name escapes me at the moment. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Thanks I'll check with hobbywave.