Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Bakker is not good

Bakker's interesting because the evil faction in his world actually has a reason for being evil beyond 'hey let's be evil.' He's gotten more and more up his own rear end with each book though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Lovecraft and it's barely hidden racial undertones would be even more relevant today.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is really tolkein's fault?

it is funny that one of the big fantasy series after tolkein was about as direct a ripoff of lord of the rings as could be - the shannara books.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
But LOTR is the best sieve the fantasy genre has, OP. You know exactly what not to bother with.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

this thread started as irredeemable idiot garbage and somehow got even worse

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

this thread started as irredeemable idiot garbage and somehow got even worse

gently caress you I'm getting some great tips for my reading list.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Imaginig an universe where Gormenghast caught on instead of LOTR and genre fantasy is 70 percent inbred Dickens pastiches nearly unreadable with purple prose.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Would Sex Be Better Without Womens?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Bakker is not good

:yikes:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Hey Applewhite, Jim Butcher (author of Dresden Files) has a series called the codex Alera and there are no orcs, elves, etc. It's pretty good. Conan is also my favorite.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Time Dissolver posted:

Imaginig an universe where Gormenghast caught on instead of LOTR and genre fantasy is 70 percent inbred Dickens pastiches nearly unreadable with purple prose.

We can dream

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

natetimm posted:

Hey Applewhite, Jim Butcher (author of Dresden Files) has a series called the codex Alera and there are no orcs, elves, etc. It's pretty good. Conan is also my favorite.

the bad guys are zerg with kerrigan tho.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Applewhite posted:

try the bible

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Blue Star posted:

Y'all need to check out Clark Ashton Smith. He was a friend of both H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard, and he wrote the same kind of stuff, but his was way better, imo. For one thing, he actually had a sense of humor and often included some levity in his stories. He also was probably the least manchild-y of the three. He actually had a wife and lived in his own place.

I like his Hyperborea stories the best, followed by his Zothique stories. His Averoigne ones ain't bad, either.

this is the best post in the thread because the only thing better than being a garbage literature enthusiast is being a hipster about it

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

lovecraft? howard? heh. i read smith. you've probably never heard of him

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

are keebler elves canon?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

i started reading scott bakker in january, and it was really different

it's not everyone's cup of tea, but i'd recommend that you try it

start with The Darkness That Comes Before (2004)

the series also has a conan, but he's closeted and neurotic

the author isn't in the top10 gooniest looking scifi-fantasy authors club though, even if he's quite goony

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 8, 2016

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

I got a tip for your reading list.

Burn it.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

charles stross is competing for the top places

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hogge Wild posted:

charles stross is competing for the top places

He looks exactly as horrible as his prose indicates

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

china writes some good weird fantasy.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

china writes some good weird fantasy.

she had a big clit

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

natetimm posted:

His steampunk-ish book Aeronaut's Windlass was pretty good.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Lovecraft and it's barely hidden racial undertones would be even more relevant today.

It's not exactly hidden.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

natetimm posted:

I disagree. Codex Alera was written by Jim Butcher as a challenge by another author to write a story using The Roman Lost Legion and Pokemon and have the story not suck. Of course Jim turned it into a best selling series, but the series is still 1)predictable and 2)is sort of a more lovely fantasy rewrite of Dresden files themes.

Your reading time is better spent elsewhere.

BlastYouVileWoman
Sep 26, 2013

by Cyrano4747
without the success of Tolkien, Ballantine would have never rolled out their Adult Fantasy series and Gervasio Gallardo would be starving in the streets, rooting thru garbage for scraps

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

she had a big clit

fuk

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

any of you shits read Malazan? I'm more than half way through Gardens of the Moon and I am frustrated and annoyed. I have no idea what the gently caress's going on. I was told this series owns.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Stormlight Archive, on the other hand. boy howdy, what a good time. Thank god Brandon Sanderson is a fantasy author that actually writes books. unlike that one cocksucker

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ROFLburger posted:

Stormlight Archive, on the other hand. boy howdy, what a good time. Thank god Brandon Sanderson is a fantasy author that actually writes books. unlike that one cocksucker

gently caress Patrick Rothfuss. The real reason Doors of Stone is delayed is because he's written himself into a corner and now he's screwed.

naem
May 29, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

any of you shits read Malazan? I'm more than half way through Gardens of the Moon and I am frustrated and annoyed. I have no idea what the gently caress's going on. I was told this series owns.

Is that the one that starts as an empire and soldiers and stuff because it then veers off into a bunch of different characters and troll races and loses the main narrative and something something I gave up

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

i read the first book a long long time ago but i kind of quit reading fantasy for a long time too. everybody always parrots that line about it being a hill too climb at first i dont know about that. if you can find promise or entertainment in his writing in the first book it does vertically improve in terms of style and skill from what little i read of the second one.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

Sure the Lord of the Rings series is a modern classic that may never be surpassed, but every high fantasy novel published since has been, in one way or another, a pale imitation of Tolkien's seminal work.

If LotR had never been published, would we possibly see a fantasy genre that is more diverse and creative, or do you think that if it hadn't been LotR, every fantasy novel would be copying some other, inferior work, and the genre would be even worse off?

My favorite fantasy series is Conan.

what is best in life

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

what is best in life

Actually reading the original Robert E. Howard stories
:goonsay:

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Start Malazan with the second book, Memories of Ice. Gardens of the Moon is technically the first book but it only makes sense after you've finished reading almost the entire rest of the series and learned the history of the world a bit. I'm not sure why Erikson did it that way. I heard somewhere that Gardens of the Moon actually started as a D&D campaign set in Malazan which he later rewrote to be an actual book.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

lovecraft? howard? heh. i read smith. you've probably never heard of him

too bad you dont read enough that youve transcended genre or hard lit considerations and are mainlining NYRB classics while drinking from the Well of Mishima and oh yeah a genre novel or two in there somewhere as well i guess im telling you to step up your loving reading game bitch

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pththya-lyi posted:

Actually reading the original Robert E. Howard stories
:goonsay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6l8MFdTaPE

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

:thejoke:

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

ROFLburger posted:

I hate most of his characters. They're always flat and predictable. Stormlight Archive is terrible about this. The good guys are stalwart champions of justice whose only fault is recklessness in pursuit of good. The bad guys are all mustache twirling assholes who can't stop tying bitches to railroad tracks and biting the heads off kittens.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Helical Nightmares posted:

I disagree. Codex Alera was written by Jim Butcher as a challenge by another author to write a story using The Roman Lost Legion and Pokemon and have the story not suck. Of course Jim turned it into a best selling series, but the series is still 1)predictable and 2)is sort of a more lovely fantasy rewrite of Dresden files themes.

Your reading time is better spent elsewhere.

I read them all and I don't regret it. It gets tiresome in places, but I really enjoyed the portrayal of the Canim. It gets less interesting as more bug stuff happens. They should have stayed a sub-plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I hate most of his characters. They're always flat and predictable. Stormlight Archive is terrible about this. The good guys are stalwart champions of justice whose only fault is recklessness in pursuit of good. The bad guys are all mustache twirling assholes who can't stop tying bitches to railroad tracks and biting the heads off kittens.

lol. Stormlight books are the only Sanderson books I've read so far. I agree with you 100% except that those things don't really bother me all that much

• Locked thread