Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

chaos rhames posted:

I really enjoyed Inherent Vice by Pynchon but kinda struggle with his other works, although I did enjoy them when I could. Are there any more approachable works in postmodern fiction?

Nabokov's Pale Fire is approachable, hilarious and very weird.

Murakami is pretty great, just don't start with Norwegian Wood, that one's kind of an autobiographical novel more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

chaos rhames posted:

I really enjoyed Inherent Vice by Pynchon but kinda struggle with his other works, although I did enjoy them when I could. Are there any more approachable works in postmodern fiction?

White Noise by Don DeLillo is fantastic and you won't have to struggle with it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

White Noise by Don DeLillo is fantastic and you won't have to struggle with it.

It also makes a great pairing with Pynchon's Crying of Lot 49.

While we're on DeLillo, what's the logical next step to exploring his output? I picked up Underworld a while back but haven't started on it yet as it's a little intimdating.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 6, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm looking for a short story that I read in Grade 8 that I was telling students about today, but have been unable to find online.

The details:

- The primary theme of this story is the morality of capital punishment
- The story deals with a future society that puts people into a deadly apartment while their trial takes place, they sit and wait for judgement, unconnected to the trial or the outside world
- The apartment has *something* in it that kills the person when they're found guilty
- The protagonist is found NOT GUILTY in the end, however when they go to open the door to leave, it's revealed the doorknob has a small needle in it which injects and immediately kills the GUILTY person

Anyone know it? I'd like to find an online version and print it off for Monday

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

hope and vaseline posted:

It also makes a great pairing with Pynchon's Crying of Lot 49.

While we're on DeLillo, what's the logical next step to exploring his output? I picked up Underworld a while back but haven't started on it yet as it's a little intimdating.

Good to know about Pynchon. I have Gravity's Rainbow and have yet to make it past 20 pages of that, so maybe Crying is more something I can handle.

Underworld does seem kind of intimidating and marks the point -- for me --at which DeLillo starts goes down the post-modern rabbit hole. Falling Man...Omega Point...the one about the dude riding in his limo...it's pretty difficult for me to parse what their meanings are. Underworld still retains enough of the quirkiness that I like about D.D. though and I enjoyed it. The others? Not so much. People love Mao II, so maybe give that one a shot?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Beaten to Stanislaw Lem. My two favorites of his are Memoirs Found in a Bathtub and the Futurological Congress (a/k/a What if Hunter S. Thompson were Polish and wrote science fiction).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Beaten to Stanislaw Lem. My two favorites of his are Memoirs Found in a Bathtub and the Futurological Congress (a/k/a What if Hunter S. Thompson were Polish and wrote science fiction).

I'm almost done with Return from the Stars and it's great. Scratches the time dilation culture shock itch I enjoyed with Forever War and so far is proving to be a really fun, interesting read.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Professor Shark posted:

I'm looking for a short story that I read in Grade 8 that I was telling students about today, but have been unable to find online.

The details:

- The primary theme of this story is the morality of capital punishment
- The story deals with a future society that puts people into a deadly apartment while their trial takes place, they sit and wait for judgement, unconnected to the trial or the outside world
- The apartment has *something* in it that kills the person when they're found guilty
- The protagonist is found NOT GUILTY in the end, however when they go to open the door to leave, it's revealed the doorknob has a small needle in it which injects and immediately kills the GUILTY person

Anyone know it? I'd like to find an online version and print it off for Monday

Sorry, at first I was thinking Kafka's In the Penal Colony but that's not it at all.

We have a Book Barn thread for identifying things like this, might be worth trying there: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=114

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Nobody reads PYF it's a forum of user control panel browsers.
What's good Polish literature?

If you're looking for literary fiction (Szymborska and Lem are good in their fields, tho), check out Olga Tokarczuk's 'Primeval and Other Times' for some cool Eastern European historical suffering / magical realism stuff, and Bruno Schulz's short stories are fantastic - I've heard the existing English translatot had taken some liberties, as he didn't speak Polish well enough to understand everything, but it seemed to read fine to me. Anyway, there should be a new translation coming out, so maybe wait a bit?

Also, Ferdydurke by Gombrowicz has quite a cult following both in TBB and outside of it, although it can be dividing.

If journalism is more to your taste, Ryszard Kapuściński's books are great opinionated travelogues to some of the more politically interesting places of the second half of 20th century.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Nobody reads PYF it's a forum of user control panel browsers.
What's good Polish literature?

It's old stuff, but I quite enjoy Henryk Sienkiewicz, especially "The Trilogy" and The Teutonic Knights. They're stories of swashbuckling knightly adventure set in 16th- and 17th-century Poland. The closest comparison I can make is Dumas, albeit with a lot more consonants in the names.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Book Barn, I really enjoyed China Mieville's Kraken but wasn't really gripped by most of his other works. I enjoy sci-fi, supernatural and western.

Can anyone who's read Kraken or other works by Mieville recommend me something similar? Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NotAnArtist posted:

Book Barn, I really enjoyed China Mieville's Kraken but wasn't really gripped by most of his other works. I enjoy sci-fi, supernatural and western.

Can anyone who's read Kraken or other works by Mieville recommend me something similar? Thanks!

Kraken's just about the only thing of Mieville I haven't read, unfortunately, but I'm vaguely familiar with it -- so take these rec's with a grain of salt.

If you liked the eldritch horror -- squid gods, etc., -- the root of all that is Lovecraft.

If you liked the vaguely humorous take on fantasy, Terry Pratchett is your go-to; start with Guards, Guards.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

NotAnArtist posted:

Hm, The Water Knife by Paulo Bacigalupi comes to mind. If you've seen Sicario it was really evocative of that movie to me. So a little bit of Sci Fi western going on. Not at all silly, though.

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anderson is a not-bad book that kind of blends Sci Fi and fantasy and is kind of funny at times.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Kraken's just about the only thing of Mieville I haven't read, unfortunately, but I'm vaguely familiar with it -- so take these rec's with a grain of salt.

If you liked the eldritch horror -- squid gods, etc., -- the root of all that is Lovecraft.

If you liked the vaguely humorous take on fantasy, Terry Pratchett is your go-to; start with Guards, Guards.

Kraken was really entertaining, especially if you've got an idea of Mieville's works. I wasn't sure how long a laundry list of ''I haves'' to give the thread but I've read a ton of Lovecraft's works and legacies as well as a bunch of Pratchett in high school- thanks though!

tuyop posted:

Hm, The Water Knife by Paulo Bacigalupi comes to mind. If you've seen Sicario it was really evocative of that movie to me. So a little bit of Sci Fi western going on. Not at all silly, though.

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anderson is a not-bad book that kind of blends Sci Fi and fantasy and is kind of funny at times.

I'll look into those both, thanks!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I read House of Leaves and it was cool, but I really just want more books that involve exploring strange, unique places like the book's impossible labyrinth. Where can I get more of that?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For the jazz book recommendation I almost recommended "Moon Over Soho," a book about a British cop who is also an apprentice wizard tracking down jazz vampires who feed on jazz musicians

But then I didn't because I was ashamed

But now I am anyway because what the hell it's actually awesome no matter how silly it is (start with the first book in the series though, _Rivers of London_)

No shame just get your book on

Just wanted to chime back in that I just started in on this series (though the first book is actually Midnight Run, not Rivers of London) and, while I am only 15 minutes into the first book, I can already tell I'm going to love it. Thanks for the recommendation

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MrSmokes posted:

I read House of Leaves and it was cool, but I really just want more books that involve exploring strange, unique places like the book's impossible labyrinth. Where can I get more of that?
I too am looking for stories with a heavy emphasis on exploration. You might enjoy Rendezvous with Rama (don't bother with the sequels trust me).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MrSmokes posted:

Obviously much less literary but how about Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

MrSmokes posted:

Finch is a noir story about a fungal city. The City and The City is a detective story where for political reasons two cities are on top of one another.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

MrSmokes posted:

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson is THE haunted house novel

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

anilEhilated posted:

Obviously much less literary but how about Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer?

I was going to chime in and suggest this as well!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Epic High Five posted:

Just wanted to chime back in that I just started in on this series (though the first book is actually Midnight Run, not Rivers of London)

Rivers of London is the UK title; Midnight Riot is the US title.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I too am looking for stories with a heavy emphasis on exploration. You might enjoy Rendezvous with Rama (don't bother with the sequels trust me).

The Terror by Dan Simmons is kind of about exploration, it's a great 800-page dive into slow starvation and death by exposure on a 19th century arctic exploration voyage.

Arkwright is a multi-generational story about the ground crew of an interstellar colonization ship, though also kind of about science fiction itself.

The Three Body Problem is also kind of about exploration in a nontraditional sense.

I actually found Russka by Edward Rutherfurd had a great sense of pioneering through the first act, though it's more historical fiction about Russia for most of the book, and the characters (like all Rutherfurd characters) are less compelling than Follett's characters even if the history might be better. Not nearly as much "milky breasts" as Follett, though, for what it's worth.

Oh, and Seveneves by Neal Stevenson might also scratch the same itch, since it's (mostly) about coping with a crazy disaster and somewhat about exploring the aftermath.

Maybe Zone One as well? I don't know. It's an attempt at a literary zombie book and I thought it was fairly successful.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Peztopiary posted:

Finch is a noir story about a fungal city. The City and The City is a detective story where for political reasons two cities are on top of one another.

A personal warning about Finch: I found it brutally depressing. It was a solid noir novel, but it was not light fair.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Splicer posted:

Since Rama was mentioned, I'd add another SF exploration classic: Ringworld. The first sequel is okay but I wouldn't go any deeper into the series.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Since Rama was mentioned, I'd add another SF exploration classic: Ringworld. The first sequel is okay but I wouldn't go any deeper into the series.
Come to think of that, Ship Of Fools/Unto Leviathan fits the bill too. Well, at least if Rama does.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

NotAnArtist posted:

A personal warning about Finch: I found it brutally depressing. It was a solid noir novel, but it was not light fair.

Yeah, I could see that. I thought it was less depressing than the mother's coded letters to her son, which I remember as being part of House of Leaves.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Luvcow posted:

I really loved reading Salt and Cod by Mark Kurlansky because i could read them in small installments when i had some down time and everything inside was interesting. Its been years (a decade? 20 years??) since i read them but i'm always looking for a nice bathroom reading book that i don't have to fully commit to. Any ideas?

Hey this post is a few pages back but this is one of my favorite genres (a nonfiction examination on one subject from various angles, usually with a very simple title followed by a longer explaination) so here goes a list of similar books:

--Consider the Fork: A History of How We Cook an Eat by Bee Wilson
--At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson (the house and all the stuff in it)
--Rain: A Natural and Cultural History by Cynthia Barnett
--Rust: The Longest War by Jonathan Waldman. This one is particularly good for short reading as it's almost like a set of short articles. There's one about the Statue of Liberty, one about cans, one about a guy who sells rust prevention products online, etc etc.
--Wild Ones: A Sometimes Dismaying, Weirdly Reassuring Story About Looking at People Looking at Animals in America by Jon Mooallem
--Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time by Dava Sobel

and, of course, everything by Mary Roach,who has the benefit of being absolutely hysterical

--Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
--Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex
--Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal
--Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Hey this post is a few pages back but this is one of my favorite genres (a nonfiction examination on one subject from various angles, usually with a very simple title followed by a longer explaination) so here goes a list of similar books:

--Consider the Fork: A History of How We Cook an Eat by Bee Wilson
--At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson (the house and all the stuff in it)
--Rain: A Natural and Cultural History by Cynthia Barnett
--Rust: The Longest War by Jonathan Waldman. This one is particularly good for short reading as it's almost like a set of short articles. There's one about the Statue of Liberty, one about cans, one about a guy who sells rust prevention products online, etc etc.
--Wild Ones: A Sometimes Dismaying, Weirdly Reassuring Story About Looking at People Looking at Animals in America by Jon Mooallem
--Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time by Dava Sobel

and, of course, everything by Mary Roach,who has the benefit of being absolutely hysterical

--Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
--Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex
--Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal
--Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void

this is awesome thank you, will check these out

a_young_doctor
Aug 11, 2007

this is africa
I am finishing up East of Eden by Steinbeck. I think it is an absolutely beautiful and well woven novel. Looking for something else that can follow this up. I really enjoy late 19th century, early 20th century American stories.
I have read by Steinbeck: East of Eden, Tortilla Flat, The Pearl, The Red Pony, Of Mice and Men.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

a_young_doctor posted:

I am finishing up East of Eden by Steinbeck. I think it is an absolutely beautiful and well woven novel. Looking for something else that can follow this up. I really enjoy late 19th century, early 20th century American stories.
I have read by Steinbeck: East of Eden, Tortilla Flat, The Pearl, The Red Pony, Of Mice and Men.

Have you read any Flannery O'Connor? She's probably my favorite short story author ever, and she was writing around that same time and using a a lot of the same settings.

Grab a copy of A Good Man is Hard to find and I guess start with either the titular story or Good Country People. If you like those, pretty much everything she's ever written is as good.

Wouldn't be surprised if you could even find one of those online somewhere.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

a_young_doctor posted:

I agree about East of Eden, and Tortilla Flat is one of my favorite novels.

I think you'd really enjoy some F. Scott Fitzgerald. The Beautiful and The Damned would be my recommendation. Tender is the Night would be my second choice.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

Have you read any Flannery O'Connor? She's probably my favorite short story author ever, and she was writing around that same time and using a a lot of the same settings.

Grab a copy of A Good Man is Hard to find and I guess start with either the titular story or Good Country People. If you like those, pretty much everything she's ever written is as good.

Wouldn't be surprised if you could even find one of those online somewhere.

This is a great recommendation, but I might suggest just getting the complete collection of short stories. They're organized by collections, there are extra stories, a great intro essay about how odd Flan was, and (unless you're buying it used) it's the same price.

I'd also throw in a recommendation for Carson McCullers, like Ballad of the Sad Cafe.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

a_young_doctor posted:

My favorite Steinbeck novels are sortof weird choices -- Cannery Row, The Wayward Bus, and Travels with Charley -- but the obvious one missing there is Grapes of Wrath, which will also have that same epic, massive tome feel that East of Eden has.

In addition to the Flannery O'Connor rec, I'd also suggest James Michener, especially Tales of the South Pacific and/or Hawaii. He's more a historical-fiction writer than a literary writer like Steinbeck but he's respectable enough and he's great if you want that historical feel.

a_young_doctor
Aug 11, 2007

this is africa
Thanks everyone, I will definitely plow through all of these recommendations and report back with where I'm headed next!

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Re Flannery O'Connor: The recommendations here have set me off looking for an e-book collection of stories, and I found this at Amazon. I like to check out the one-star reviews because occasionally there's actually something of substance there. In this case, I'm seeing a complaint about typos in the Kindle edition, which would usually steer me somewhere else. But one of the one-star reviewers says the books was published by CreateSpace. This could very well explain a poor presentation or poor formatting and indicate that this edition almost certainly is, shall we say, "unofficial," which I'd want to avoid on that basis alone.

But the product details list the publisher as Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

I know that Amazon often gets reviews and listings for different editions muddled together and whatnot, and that may very well be what has happened here (that particular review is six years old, so maybe the "unofficial" version, if there was one, was removed from the site long ago). Anyway, before I go throwing $10 at this book, can someone confirm that it'll give me a satisfactory presentation of the material?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Re Flannery O'Connor: The recommendations here have set me off looking for an e-book collection of stories, and I found this at Amazon. I like to check out the one-star reviews because occasionally there's actually something of substance there. In this case, I'm seeing a complaint about typos in the Kindle edition, which would usually steer me somewhere else. But one of the one-star reviewers says the books was published by CreateSpace. This could very well explain a poor presentation or poor formatting and indicate that this edition almost certainly is, shall we say, "unofficial," which I'd want to avoid on that basis alone.

I know that Amazon often gets reviews and listings for different editions muddled together and whatnot, and that may very well be what has happened here (that particular review is six years old, so maybe the "unofficial" version, if there was one, was removed from the site long ago). Anyway, before I go throwing $10 at this book, can someone confirm that it'll give me a satisfactory presentation of the material?

You might as well get it. If it turns out to be poorly formatted, just return it for a refund. That has happened to me before, and it's mostly quick and painless, even if it's after the 7 day return window.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Florida Betty posted:

You might as well get it. If it turns out to be poorly formatted, just return it for a refund. That has happened to me before, and it's mostly quick and painless, even if it's after the 7 day return window.

I might just do that. I'm aware of the return policy, although I wasn't sure what the time limit was. The thing is, I'm not sure that I'd get around to diving into it deeply enough to get a good idea of how well done it is within that time. But now it occurs to me that it wouldn't be a big deal to take a few minutes to spot check it after downloading it.

edit: Or I could just download the free sample first.

Secret Agent X23 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 13, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

a_young_doctor posted:

I'll never pass up a chance to pimp John Dos Passos's "U.S.A." trilogy (The 42nd Parallel, 1919, The Big Money). It's a bit different from a typical novel in terms of structure: ongoing interlinked stories interspersed with mini-biographies, vignettes, and snippets of headlines, news stories, and the like. But once you get accustomed, it's a terrific look at the first thirty years of the 20th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Secret Agent X23 posted:

It links to the paperback version I recommended, so it looks like a digital version of that copy. I'd say that review is for an older edition, since her complete short stories collection has been around since the 70's and has gone through multiple prints.