Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

anonumos posted:

You forgot the bit about how the whole planet then dies off because nobody sanitized the telephones (or am I making that up?).

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Golgafrincham

That's exactly what happens. Everyone dies from a plague spread via dirty public telephones.

Edit:

quote:

They sent the B ship off first, but of course the other two-thirds of the population stayed on the planet and lived full, rich and happy lives until they were all wiped out by a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Lamprey Cannon posted:

There's a bit in 'Restaurant at the End of the Universe', where there's a planet that *claims* there's an impending disaster coming, and they need to evacuate everybody on three 'Arks'. Ark A will contain all the leaders and scientists, Ark C will contain common working-class folks, and Ark B will contain all the middle-managers and telephone sanitizers and all of that. Of course, only Ark B ever gets launched, because the whole thing is a ploy to get rid of all those utterly useless people. They then proceed to crash-land on Earth and become the ancestors of humanity.

Man, I really need to go through that series again. I read it when I was much younger and probably didn't really get a lot of the humor.

Still waiting on this DoJ thing to start

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

xenocide was book 2/3 of the catholic theology in space series, 3/4 if you count the original book. the anise i think was in the original at least briefly, was definitley a big part of speaker for the dead as it's how he communicates with his AI waifu

The ancible was fine and is a common trope to this day. It wasn't a deus ex machina or anything because without it, the story would fall apart

I refer specifically to when he wrote himself into a corner of needing everybody off the planet ASAP so he just had a bunch of Mary Sues sit down together and BOOM, FTL drive

I actually liked Speaker for the Dead overall

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:f5:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Apparently the NC GOP is literally doubling down; they filed another lawsuit.

E: wrong thread

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 9, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
My favorite part of this all so far is McRory trying to take that RW Blogswamp fantasy excuse of "That durned liberal city made us do it! You weirdos should be upset at them!" to the big leagues. Nothing brings me more joy than seeing people like him forget that their little dungeons and dragons politics games rules don't work in real life.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Apparently the NC GOP is literally doubling down; they filed another lawsuit.

Haha, what now?

Live Feed just started.

E: DOJ is talking tough, they are not taking poo poo from NC

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
lol NC is so screwed and they know it. DoJ filing a federal lawsuit, doesn't sound like they're cutting off Title IX funds just yet.

e: sounds like they're suing under Title VII, Title IX, as well as the Violence Against Women Act

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 9, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Mr Jaunts posted:

lol NC is so screwed and they know it. DoJ filing a federal lawsuit, doesn't sound like they're cutting off Title IX funds just yet.

The best part happened in the first 5 minutes when Lynch called them out on the lawsuit.

'Hey, we were just wondering if you were gonna follow through with that law.'
'gently caress you, we're suing'
'Bring it on'

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:lol: he is trying to get in on it

https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/729726403843903488

https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/729727999554273280

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Remember, Lynch is from NC.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
LOL who gives a poo poo about the "trending" panel on facebook anyway, it's all advertisements and "video shows celebrity doing a thing."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
A vague conspiracy involving no real wrongdoing that could obstensibly explain why a conservative professional attention seeker has recieved no attention. What? did they hand craft this thing to honeypot Crowder and Walsh?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Warcabbit posted:

Remember, Lynch is from NC.

Yeah, and having her draw clear lines between the Jim Crow laws on public facility use and HB2 was very appropriate.

One of the reporters just asked her to respond to some fucksticks in NC saying that the feds are trying to bully them, and she replied with basically "well it looks to us like they're the ones doing the bullying against trans people, so yeah, no."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Considering how much time conservative brain-boys spend on their digital doo dads like twitter stars and trending status I'm starting to wonder if we couldn't put the final nail in the coffin by creating a bitcoin style "conserva-cred" for them to tip eachother with and fight over.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCEKzaqAeXE

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Considering how much time conservative brain-boys spend on their digital doo dads like twitter stars and trending status I'm starting to wonder if we couldn't put the final nail in the coffin by creating a bitcoin style "conserva-cred" for them to tip eachother with and fight over.

Isn't that what reddit upvotes are for?

Btw, that news conference was boss as hell.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Because I hate myself, I clicked through on that Crowder thing. He's not planning on suing them, it's just a notice that real soon now he's going to drop some truths that will totally tank Facebook's credibility

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

In which the Atlantic claims the left is destroying our liberal tolerant society with safe spaces because an Ohio high school used the language of social justice to deny a student who wanted to bring a chapter of Amnesty International to her school.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/05/the-high-school-that-banned-amnesty-international/481809/

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Rick_Hunter posted:

Isn't that what reddit upvotes are for?

Yeah but those are never ending, what you need is a limited supply so it's valuable and they fight over it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Despite his claim that poo poo was gonna get legal the article makes a pain to point out that he understands his 1A rights aren't being abrogated and he's not suing anyone, but he's going to reveal some information that's going to make people

trust

facebook

less

We're through the loving looking glass here people

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wonder if reporters with the Golden Calf in front of them are ever going to catch on to this verbal tic he does where whenever he says something incredibly stupid and someone asks "Are you really saying Stupid Thing?" and he says "No no, I'm not saying Stupid Thing but...(either says it again w/ an exasperated tone like he's being forced, says he's just open to the idea and asking questions, or he draws a blank and blames political correctness for even being asked in the first place)"

I'm waiting for someone to bait him on the automatic "no I'm not saying that". Like just real quick, in the same tone say something like "Just want to make sure, are you really saying your death squads aren't real?" and then let him talk about what color their boots will be and who's getting put against the wall for ten minutes while he thinks he just got caught in some lie.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Despite his claim that poo poo was gonna get legal the article makes a pain to point out that he understands his 1A rights aren't being abrogated and he's not suing anyone, but he's going to reveal some information that's going to make people

trust

facebook

less

I doubt Crowder or Walsh care, but if they rope FB into "it's all a conspiracy against us" they're about to chase a whole lot of people further into the RW alternate reality that sunk their whole party just because some dorks at facebook don't treat the trending stories list like it's a holy document.

That and the idea that you'd react to a story about the trending list being even more bullshit than it looks by becoming MORE ANGRY that you're not on it, are pretty funny.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 9, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

trust

facebook

less

If the net result is my conservative relatives move off Facebook to whatever their branded alternative is, I'm all for it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Obviously there's nothing illegal about Facebook deciding to censor right-wing stories, since Facebook is a private company that can do whatever it wants. I remember awhile back in the crazy political email forward thread, there was a mention that Uncle Sam's Misguided Children were going to create their own Facebook because they got removed due to someone reporting them for harassment.

Now, the question really should be "Should Facebook censor right-wing media?" Apparently there was an internal poll for Facebook employees for questions to ask Mark Zuckerberg, and "Do we have an obligation to stop Trump from becoming president?" was one of them. It obviously leaked, and now creates even more of a persecution complex among conservatives.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

beatlegs posted:

A good example is when Dan Rather got fired from CBS for unknowingly using a falsified piece of evidence in a story that was otherwise basically true (how Bush skipped out on his service & got special treatment in the air force). Compare that to Lara Logan (an openly partisan neocon) who did a 60 Minutes story on Benghazi a few years back which was completely unture & based on interviews with an admitted liar and fabricator. She's still employed by 60 Minutes, still doing stories about the middle east.

because news "evoled" truth doesn't really matter anymore. as long as you leave in loopholes(we didnt reasarch the person we interviewd at all) and poo poo like that. its fine.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Crowder and Walsh will find themselves irrelevant much like the Beck's and Levin's of the world due to them being kool aid drinkers in that regard.

The "TRUE BELIEVERS" and the Conservative movement as a whole is dead. Their base is dying off, and what will be left will be a small vocal minority within the GOP itself.

I think Milo, Ann Coulter and a few others will end up surviving due to them hedging their bets on Trump and his overall platform being the wave of the future for the GOP.

e: When they were young college kids that would be the future "base" of the GOP at Liberty U. holding up "RAND PAUL 2016" signs at a rally for Ted Cruz? The writing was on the wall for that shithead movement to die off.

crowder and walsh are trying to latch onto the rising of the alt right. walsh is hosed because he didnt bend the knee to trump and probaly honestly believes in the right wing christianty. meanwhile crowder may get some support from alt right. I am curious what he said to get "censored"/post removal on facebook. because i have poseted tons of weird poo poo on my account. i assume it was bigoted.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

trust

facebook

less

Wait, so he's admitting to willfully supressing stories about facebook's untrustworthiness?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Holy loving :lol: at the idea that Walsh ever had the "most shared" anything ever.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Some sanctimonious rear end in a top hat refused to tow a woman's car because she's got a Bernie sign on her car. The Facebook comments are pretty terrible. These people are just so loving petty and mean. poo poo, I'd tow one of those dumb trucks flying the stars n' bars and the Gadsen. Why does this matter to them so much?

There were no end of people going on that Bernie supporters don't deserve a row because they don't work. That's so loving insane. I work. Every Bernie supporter I know works.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bast Relief posted:

Some sanctimonious rear end in a top hat refused to tow a woman's car because she's got a Bernie sign on her car. The Facebook comments are pretty terrible. These people are just so loving petty and mean. poo poo, I'd tow one of those dumb trucks flying the stars n' bars and the Gadsen. Why does this matter to them so much?

There were no end of people going on that Bernie supporters don't deserve a row because they don't work. That's so loving insane. I work. Every Bernie supporter I know works.

Jesus told him not to and he felt rewarded

Jesus

For refusing to help a disabled person in distress

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

From what it sounds like. They are pissed that "coservative stories" dont end up on facebooks news feed. Now i always thought they was targeted toward your news serches/browser history. But most conservative stories boil down to "______ said a thing and gently caress him" or "______ said a thing, all heil him" so thats not censorship. it would be censorship if they were just deleting consevative pages and blogs that arn't breaking the rules. facebook isn't doing that, so its not censorship.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

Jesus

Its almost as if that whole 'Good Samaritan' and 'Do Unto Others' poo poo was made up

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Jesus

wait he/she was disabled? like physical disability or just car disabled. because gently caress them if they refused to help a disabled person.

Bast Relief posted:

thats why i never put political bumper stickers on my car.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Bast Relief posted:

They're just being jerks, they don't care whether you work or not. For example, try to imagine what happens next when you tell one of them "I'm a Bernie supporter and I work". Somehow I doubt it'd be embarrassment and apologies for making a very real statement of belief and being wrong. Adjust your care-o-meter accordingly.

Not to mention the idiocy we're whistling past here where ANYONE's political ideas are the basis for whether or not they get to use a tow truck. Just as a practical matter, if I was a conservative I wouldn't want to be setting that standard at this particular moment in time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Its no excuse, and she was physically disabled. Handicapped plates and everything.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Its no excuse, and she was physically disabled. Handicapped plates and everything.

I never said she did deserve it. Its just one of the reasons i dont, because people are tribalistic dicks.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The Christian thing to do would be to help her even though she disagrees with you, that dude is an rear end in a top hat and he needs some jesus

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait he/she was disabled? like physical disability or just car disabled. because gently caress them if they refused to help a disabled person.

Yes, physically disabled. Had the hanging tag on the rear view mirror.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Actually. The article I read said that she had really bad arthritis despite being like 26

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Her being disabled is just the icing on the poo poo taco though. Some comments read basically as, yeah it was a mean thing to do, but sometime liberals need to learn a lesson.

It's a stupid lesson though. These are probably the same kind of people who think washing kids mouths with soap teaches a lesson just as well as explaining to your kid why and when some words are innapropriate and what they mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

From what it sounds like. They are pissed that "coservative stories" dont end up on facebooks news feed. Now i always thought they was targeted toward your news serches/browser history. But most conservative stories boil down to "______ said a thing and gently caress him" or "______ said a thing, all heil him" so thats not censorship. it would be censorship if they were just deleting consevative pages and blogs that arn't breaking the rules. facebook isn't doing that, so its not censorship.

Whenever a conservative does/says something notable, it shows up in the trending box. What the gently caress are they talking about? These people are so invested in being perceived as victims it's pathetic.