Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Had a problem with panel lining my latest batch of parts and I'm not sure why other than maybe too thick a gloss coat? Paint either wouldn't go in the lines or the lines got erased in clean up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
This isn't model talk, but I'm kind of on an Eva kick because a friend of mine just saw it for the first time.

I have the SoC SPEC figures of the TV versions of 00, 01 and 02. They are awesome and I love them.

I've considered getting 00 (Rebuild orange) and the 400% sync 01. And maybe the Rebuild 01.

My question is, what is the difference between TV 01 and Rebuild 01? Are they basically just the same figure, but the rebuild has some more green on it?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

chiasaur11 posted:

1) Real grade.

2) Pretty much standard. Bandai's kits tend to be both cheaper and better than the nearest competition.

I actually forgot Real Grade was a thing, I was looking at maybe a Master Grade before.

Midjack posted:

If there's one in particular you want and you're in the US, pm me. I have a bunch and am happy to sell.

I unfortunately don't have platinum, but if I end up finding any that jump out at me I'll let you know!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Luminaflare posted:

I've often wondered what the chrome finishes look like with a white or coloured base coat.

It's a combo of the color and the reflectivity, at least in terms of Alclad and, to a lesser extent, Mr. Metal Color and Testors Metallzier buffing metallizer.

The gloss black base primarily gives a big portion of how reflective the final finish will be when using these products. Alclad chrome is just a very thin tinting paint. The black color tones the chrome and allows it to be built up.

I would guess that a white gloss base would give a far lighter chrome color, or at least one that varies enough that it's not conventional chrome.

I need to grab some gloss white to take a shot at lighter Mr. Crystal Color GX effects, so I might do a quick comparo and test.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I feel like you answered this before, but is that metal finish good for mixing with other colors to do like a blue-metallic finish or whatever other color?

Mixing, probably not - at least not with this method.

Candy coating, yes, by all means.

Get yourself some Alclad candy enamel, or Createx Candy2O or similar candy paints, mix/thin as needed (Alclad is ready out of the bottle) and do very light coats over an Alclad chrome paint. Seal with a gloss topcoat for even shinier effects. That's how I did this beauty: http://imgur.com/a/OmRRS

You could also thin down any other clear color for airbrushing. There's a bunch of wonderful ones that Mr. Color puts out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

So I guess those yellow hubcaps are missile pods now.

Between this and the Hi-Nu HWS, Katoki must really like hidden missile pods on his full armor stuff.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Between this and the Hi-Nu HWS, Katoki must really like hidden missile pods on his full armor stuff.

If you want an excuse for why the heavy-armor robots are hollow boxes full of missiles, just assume that they work like those explosive tank plates that are used to resist the force of the explosion.

They also just happen to be launchable, I guess.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Do... Do you not? Hidden missile pods are great. A rack of micro missiles makes anything better.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That's because missile pods are good, and the lack of Itano circus is Gundam's greatest failing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
When Bandai realizes the error of their ways and finally release GG Gundam, one of the robots will be a missile with hidden robot pods.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Missile pods are super cool and hidden missile pods are even cooler.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dendrobium has you covered for missile pods.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Leo ver Ka, turns out the entire suit is just hidden missile pods.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

Leo ver Ka, turns out the entire suit is just hidden missile pods.

Well, that explains a few things. Now I have a mental image of a Tallgeese with Leos for verniers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This is where someone posts that pic of the Prometheus, I presume?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

EthanSteele posted:

Had a problem with panel lining my latest batch of parts and I'm not sure why other than maybe too thick a gloss coat? Paint either wouldn't go in the lines or the lines got erased in clean up.

What were you using to do the lining in terms of paint brand? Also what make/model of lighter fluid?

Midjack, any chance you have an MG GM in there somewhere? I feel like adding to my backlog with the eventual goal of making it up like a P-51. Also if you've got an Asshimar and Hambrabi just taking up space, I'd buy 'em off you.

MJP fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 10, 2016

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Hidden missile pods is his new "put decals on everything" shtick.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So where would one go for the mechanicore xi gundam? I saw a nice one today and Xi is one of my favorites. Is it color separated or do I have to paint it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

eBay is probably your best bet at this point. And it's all color separated, but the assembly will involve a lot more work than regular snapfit kits. Hope you like LEDs and soldering!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TheManSeries posted:

So where would one go for the mechanicore xi gundam? I saw a nice one today and Xi is one of my favorites. Is it color separated or do I have to paint it.

It is fully color separated. As for where to get it, here's the cheapest option on Ebay from a seller I can vouch for: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-100-MECHAN...pQAAOSw0e9UrIjC

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

RG Sinanju was just announced.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

TheManSeries posted:

As already said, Ebay's gonna be your best bet. They only did two runs, one standard and one limited edition. It's all color separated, and if you happen to find an LE one for sale, it has a camo pattern pre-applied to the external armor parts.

I'm sure ACES CURE PLANES will probably pop up in a bit to talk about it too, but know that the kit is a massive pain in the rear end to assemble, especially if you want to get all the LEDs working. It shipped with a DVD of little videos showing how each sub-assembly goes together, and no printed manual. The videos don't obey the laws of reality and have you slide parts through each other to fit, so you had to watch each section in advance and figure out the errors before trying to put it together.

They did eventually release a printed manual as a PDF, but it looks like the download links for that are dead. I'm pretty sure I saved a copy, so if you do pick the kit up let me know and I'll find it and throw it in a dropbox or something. No idea if it's error free, I built mine off the videos.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huh, neat!

I mean, I'd prefer a grunt suit, but since that was never going to happen, a villain suit in Real Grade is almost as good a change of pace.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I'm actually really pumped for this guy. It's one of my favorite designs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Sinanju before Unicorn? Either they're worried about over-saturating the market with too many Unicorns, or trying to figure out how to make a RG Unicorn that doesn't immediately explode.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That's gonna be big

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I will laugh so hard if they picked the Sinanju just to show off how they could make all of the Sleeves trim separate parts if they really wanted to.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

TaurusOxford posted:

Sinanju before Unicorn? Either they're worried about over-saturating the market with too many Unicorns, or trying to figure out how to make a RG Unicorn that doesn't immediately explode.

I thought they had announced a RG Unicorn.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I recently saw this thing from Nogunaga the Fool

Outside of that rad design, is the series itself any good?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Oooh, a red fragmentation grenade!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

We're never getting that RG Heavyarms, are we? :negative:

I might actually get an RG Sinanju.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

Not really, I'm afraid, and the bottom-tier animation means the robot fights are especially bad. Stick to Macross if you want some Kawamori.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I love the Sinanju so that might just be my first RG. :swoon:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Luminaflare posted:

I couldn't get into it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hell.
Yes.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Every RG that isn't a protagonist gundam is an RG well chosen

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

TheManSeries posted:

It's been said, but ebay, definitely. Make sure you stock up on lots of glue (I use insta-cure personally), and be prepared for a special level of hell with the instruction DVD. Really though, Yamata covered just about everything.

If I were to add anything, I'd say be incredibly careful with test fits, and don't be ashamed of trimming poo poo down or shaving pegs to be thinner. They went a bit too far with some pieces and if you put some things together, you'll never get them apart without breaking the part in two. Oh, and there's a couple editions, not just normal and special. There's a limited one which has special camo armor bits and a metal v-fin, a special edition with a metal v-fin and a poster, and the standard edition with just the kit itself.

Luminaflare posted:

I think I need this. :flashfap:

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh, and there's a couple editions, not just normal and special. There's a limited one which has special camo armor bits and a metal v-fin, a special edition with a metal v-fin and a poster, and the standard edition with just the kit itself.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the middle tier one. The LE actually has a poster too (different than the one in the special edition, even), but does NOT have a metal V-fin. I was sad about that, especially since the plastic one that came with is attached to the runner at the tips, and one of the tips had already snapped off in shipping from Hong Kong. I ended up just trimming the other side to match.

The camo armor thing is kind of cool, but suffers in how they went about it. The parts that have the camo applied are pre-cut from the runners, and come in plastic trays to preserve the finish.The big downside there is that they didn't really trim the nubs that well from those pieces, and a couple of them on my kit actually had the camo pattern right over a nub, so I had to damage it to trim the part. Not too hard to touch up, but a little frustrating that it was necessary.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Definitely looks like the new Thunderbolt MGs will be the way to go for the line. The sticker sheets for the HGs are just insanely huge.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I finished HGUC Ez8

Its joints are really flexible, almost too flexible. The wrist sockets in particular are pretty limp.

I also never realized that Ez8 is canonically a full 5 meters shorter than Nu (18m vs 23m). I think Bandai's sense of scale is a bit messed up thought as RG Zeta is the same size as HG Nu while supposedly being only 19.85m

(gently caress you imgur for recompressing those pics with jpg artifacts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah Bandai tends to fudge the scale a little to make the kit's proportions look better. You should compare head heights, not the full ones though; Nu is 22 while Zeta is almost 20, so they should be 2 cm off. Given an ~1 cm margin of error for both and it's reasonable.

But unless someone breaks out a ruler, it's hard to tell exactly which kit is wrong here.