Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Moey posted:

Never, because you hit a URE.

gently caress, I thought it would take longer for someone to figure out that.

Well the failed drive did happen. I didn't provision this NAS. It was labeled by my boss as an appliance with non-critical data on it. So unlike the rest of the environment, there is no replication to something else.

Its now 10% on its progress of rebuilding after 6 hours and give it a 0% chance to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Having to listen to people evangelise about all of our deep-rooted issues caused by under skilled staff and poor management will go away after we purchase and implement a software product.

I'm going to get blamed when software product implementation takes forever because nobody wants to put any work into stuff. If I give you a deadline and you blow it by a month...

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
So....

Woogles posted:

Hi BIGBOSS,

Despite BOSS's progress so far I'm having serious concerns about some technical decisions he's been making recently, namely involving ways of managing our systems safely and securely. He's basically asking us to ignore well developed, stable and mature system configuration tools in favour of writing our own scripts to manage things. I've tried talking him out of it and he's extremely resistant and can't really give any valid technical reasons for being so other than wanting to keep things simple (see recently BCC'd mail.) I can understand that but he's asking us to reinvent the wheel which is, in my opinion, a waste of time. Some of the functionality he wants done in Bash is ridiculous to be quite blunt.

I'll be presenting a business case next week arguing against his preferred way of doing things. Please keep an eye out for it.

Many thanks,

WOOGLES

BIGBOSS posted:

Please keep me updated. I don't want to recreate the wheel when a lot has been done before.

Please update me next week.

Cheers,

:unsmigghh:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Good luck with your coup

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd probably have quit anyway

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Things like this rarely end up going well. Too often than not these types of conversation go one way when presented to you and the complete other way when your boss is contacted. Even if you win, you lose long term because you earned a target on your back.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Write it in Brainfuck, then immanentize the eschaton.

420 immanentize eschatons erry day

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello

Sickening posted:

Things like this rarely end up going well. Too often than not these types of conversation go one way when presented to you and the complete other way when your boss is contacted. Even if you win, you lose long term because you earned a target on your back.

True enough, but I really don't care. I'll make my case civilly as best I can and if he still wants this crap, that's on him - I'll be looking to get out. The company would suffer as I'm the only engineer in this part of the world, but I refuse to support pants-on-head stupid.

At least he's OK'd the use of Python for this madness.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Currently pissing me off:
I work at a helpdesk. That might be enough said but it gets worse!
I started working I only supported one client like most other "agents" here, with some exceptions who could be used as backups for the other client (we support two clients)
A month or so back they decided everyone gets both clients and cross trained us, no big deal right? Except that now we need to rdp into client 1 and client 2's server at the same time, as well as open up two instances of our ticketing software because the clients aren't on the same server which leads to our computers running real slow, and we get to deal with more calls it feels like, get confused by having to wildly different processes for like account creations etc and since both clients are in different sectors with different requirements well the whole thing is a confusing mess.
But whatever, I deal with it best I can.
Except now they decided one client is getting chat support too. At first I thought it didn't sound too bad, until I had the chat support training.
Agents on chat support will also be taking normal calls.
Agents will be required to respond to all chats within 5 minutes.
Agents will be required to handle multiple chats at the same time.
Oh did I mention most of us are supporting users in three different languages as well? Because yeah, you don't know what's fun until you have a chat open in English regarding a high priority issue, a phone call in Swedish where the user is yelling while you're trying to read instructions for something in Finnish.
The chat software itself is terrible, doesn't integrate into our ticketing software at all. Well I mean it would for 200€ but aint no one got that kinda money so instead we need to copy paste the chat log into the tickets we write.
Oh it also doesn't save those logs anywhere we can access them so hope you don't close that chat window by accident!

This is seriously going to lead to some kind of mental breakdown for me, I will be silently screaming as I have 20 open chat windows all requiring me remoting into their computers to fix their poo poo while some indian dude is yelling at me about a burning server for the other client, this is not gonna go well.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

organburner posted:

Currently pissing me off:
I work at a helpdesk. That might be enough said but it gets worse!
I started working I only supported one client like most other "agents" here, with some exceptions who could be used as backups for the other client (we support two clients)
A month or so back they decided everyone gets both clients and cross trained us, no big deal right? Except that now we need to rdp into client 1 and client 2's server at the same time, as well as open up two instances of our ticketing software because the clients aren't on the same server which leads to our computers running real slow, and we get to deal with more calls it feels like, get confused by having to wildly different processes for like account creations etc and since both clients are in different sectors with different requirements well the whole thing is a confusing mess.
But whatever, I deal with it best I can.
Except now they decided one client is getting chat support too. At first I thought it didn't sound too bad, until I had the chat support training.
Agents on chat support will also be taking normal calls.
Agents will be required to respond to all chats within 5 minutes.
Agents will be required to handle multiple chats at the same time.
Oh did I mention most of us are supporting users in three different languages as well? Because yeah, you don't know what's fun until you have a chat open in English regarding a high priority issue, a phone call in Swedish where the user is yelling while you're trying to read instructions for something in Finnish.
The chat software itself is terrible, doesn't integrate into our ticketing software at all. Well I mean it would for 200€ but aint no one got that kinda money so instead we need to copy paste the chat log into the tickets we write.
Oh it also doesn't save those logs anywhere we can access them so hope you don't close that chat window by accident!

This is seriously going to lead to some kind of mental breakdown for me, I will be silently screaming as I have 20 open chat windows all requiring me remoting into their computers to fix their poo poo while some indian dude is yelling at me about a burning server for the other client, this is not gonna go well.

I'll bet they only give you a single monitor with a resolution of 1024x768, huh?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe I am out of touch with how things are in the Nordic countries but I feel that being able to have technical discussions three languages (spoken and written) should put you in a better position than juggling tech support chat windows.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

I'll bet they only give you a single monitor with a resolution of 1024x768, huh?

No we actually get two monitors!
One is even 1080p!

But now we need to have open two ticketing software as well as two different RDP sessions to client servers so we'd kinda need 4 monitors.

EDIT:

Thanks Ants posted:

Maybe I am out of touch with how things are in the Nordic countries but I feel that being able to have technical discussions three languages (spoken and written) should put you in a better position than juggling tech support chat windows.

Well not in Finland at least.
I should move to Sweden, their IT seems to be in a less hosed up position but I kinda don't want to.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

organburner posted:

No we actually get two monitors!
One is even 1080p!

But now we need to have open two ticketing software as well as two different RDP sessions to client servers so we'd kinda need 4 monitors.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx

Use this for your multiple RDCs.

Then, maybe, tabbed browsing for your ticketing system.

Won't help with the slow PCs bit hope it helps.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Migishu posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx

Use this for your multiple RDCs.

Then, maybe, tabbed browsing for your ticketing system.

Won't help with the slow PCs bit hope it helps.
Did you leave something off of that URL?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At a guess it was https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=44989

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Holy poo poo they updated RDCMan? I was so pissed when 2.2 wouldn't work on Win 8.1, and have spent a good three years going through replacements, ultimately settling on a version of mRemoteNG I had to hex edit to support more than 4 GB of RAM. Though I'll say it does work quite well and includes Web & SSH connections (and VNC, but ick).

And apparently RDCMan 2.7 was released in 2014. Well drat. As usual, Microsoft fails to mention all the good stuff, like Enterprise Cloud Suite, which seems to be a complete vaporware SKU, and proclaims from the rooftops the crap that doesn't matter (see under Skype for Business rebrand).

Speaking of which, has anyone actually managed to buy Enterprise Cloud Suite? Ingram is telling us they don't know how to do it.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

That's pretty neat.

Did I mention that one of the clients servers are opened via a citrix session and the other one is RDP?
Also the citrix one is great, you open the citrix session to a server, from there you open a RDP on to the next and if you need to reset passwords in certain systems you need to remote from the server in to one of several desktops that are in a mystery location somewhere. Because they can't have the password changing systems straight on the servers because?!?

Man I need to get out it's such a confusing mess.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Can anyone recommend a USB boardroom style mic for a rectangular room of around 15-20 people? We're currently using the JABRA 510 (http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-SPEAK-5...4bbd47326fdedc8) but the CEO is saying it doesn't cut it.

Something flashy with little satellite mics would be good.

Things I hate: Boardroom AV.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can get the Speak 810 (http://www.jabra.co.uk/Business/speakerphones/jabra-speak-series/jabra-speak-810) if the issue with the 510 is coverage.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Swink posted:

Can anyone recommend a USB boardroom style mic for a rectangular room of around 15-20 people? We're currently using the JABRA 510 (http://www.amazon.com/Jabra-SPEAK-5...4bbd47326fdedc8) but the CEO is saying it doesn't cut it.

Something flashy with little satellite mics would be good.

Things I hate: Boardroom AV.

Don't buy poo poo consumer level products for your board room.

No matter how much you spend, its going to sound like poo poo. Tinny with echoes.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

DigitalMocking posted:

Don't buy poo poo consumer level products for your board room.

No matter how much you spend, its going to sound like poo poo. Tinny with echoes.

I've had decent results with the RevoLabs FLX UC stuff. They basically have three models (in the UC line), one USB only, one with USB and a phone built in, and the one with phone built in with additional table mics. Sound quality is quite good. The dialer unit looks a little cheesy, and I haven't had great luck with LLDP setting VLAN, but the sound quality is there, and it's a major step up from consumer level gear. (Also since it shows up as a regular USB microphone/speaker unit you can use it with whatever videoconference applications you want, which is why I got it).

http://www.revolabs.com/products/conference-phones/wired-conference-phones/flx-uc-phones

That's the link for the two phones with USB - the USB-only one is in a separate category. They also have SIP only phones, some of which are a little flashier.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Speaking of TTS does anyone want to play tonight?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Potato Alley posted:

I've had decent results with the RevoLabs FLX UC stuff. They basically have three models (in the UC line), one USB only, one with USB and a phone built in, and the one with phone built in with additional table mics. Sound quality is quite good. The dialer unit looks a little cheesy, and I haven't had great luck with LLDP setting VLAN, but the sound quality is there, and it's a major step up from consumer level gear. (Also since it shows up as a regular USB microphone/speaker unit you can use it with whatever videoconference applications you want, which is why I got it).

http://www.revolabs.com/products/conference-phones/wired-conference-phones/flx-uc-phones

That's the link for the two phones with USB - the USB-only one is in a separate category. They also have SIP only phones, some of which are a little flashier.

I can't help it, I work for a company that makes high end audio gear used in board rooms, stadiums, arenas etc. I used to be fine with throwing a decent polycom puck with some mics on it in a room.

I can't do it any more. We have a system that auto-tunes the mics and speakers for the room and its just mind-bogglingly good. Beam forming mics that track who's talking and ignore background noise. You can have a conference call between rooms, talk super soft and hear everything.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I can't afford your company so I gotta solve the problem by buying something that works ok and but most importantly looks impressive

Swink fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 16, 2016

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Swink posted:

I can't afford your company so I gotta solve the problem by buying something that works ok and but most importantly looks impressive

Fair enough :)

The revo flx1000 is probably the best thing you're going to get in the 500-1000 dollar range.

You can pick up a used/refurbed polycom soundstation 2 with a pair of extender mics in the 300 dollar range.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A bunch of mics and a Soundweb BLU-103 :v:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

DigitalMocking posted:

I can't help it, I work for a company that makes high end audio gear used in board rooms, stadiums, arenas etc. I used to be fine with throwing a decent polycom puck with some mics on it in a room.

I can't do it any more. We have a system that auto-tunes the mics and speakers for the room and its just mind-bogglingly good. Beam forming mics that track who's talking and ignore background noise. You can have a conference call between rooms, talk super soft and hear everything.

I'm with you, since I actually started in the audio industry (used to work for a company that made extremely high end film mixing boards), and there's nothing I hate more than lovely audio, which most corporate audio tends to be because people don't know anything about it and are shocked that a decent microphone could cost more than a hundred bucks. Sometimes my clients listen, like the one where I actually got to put in real Shure wireless (the good stuff, QLXD with Dante), but on the other hand it took two years of them fumbling around with a Nady system <spit> to finally listen to me. But yes I was presuming he didn't have money for stuff at the level of what you guys make, and the RevoLabs is a step up from Jabra BS.

That said, I'm a little surprised at having not heard of your company, but my background is more on the live/recording end of things in audio so I suppose that's why. Interesting stuff though. Might try and recommend it for future, though having come from the world of everything being XLR I just really hate Phoenix terminals and other hard-wired terminals. Yeah, I know, you can fit more in less space and custom terminate cables to be the right length, but it's just so....permanent. And if there's one thing that I can count on happening, it's that in a few years something will need to be redone. But you seem to be much more with it than Polycom in including things like AVB and Dante, and if you're competitive price-wise with SoundStructure (and don't charge up the rear end for proprietary bullshit cables to connect your ceiling mics) that's very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Unfortunately multilingualism in continental European countries, especially smaller ones, is not at all rare and therefore not at all the sort of skill that ensures good jobs all by itself. Everyone under the age of like 60 speaks English, and Finland in particular has Swedish and Finnish as its two national languages, soooo

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pissing me off: First thing emergency Monday meetings preempted by a phone call while I'm on the hour long commute to work asking if I can "get in any earlier". Talk vaguely for 30 minutes about this massive bill from a vendor and how the hell did it get so high without mentioning the amounts. Turns out the vendor send us our bill + someone else's on page two where it lists a different company name. I didn't even use the vendor last month, manager with permission called in for support on product and has a 0.25h bill we did not rack up 400 billable hours last month.

I didn't even get to look at the information first since this was sent while I was on the ride and trying to figure out what was even happening during the meeting. Pretty sure due to the bill size they were not happy It was for over what the server room refresh is set for later this year, and that's already coming out of general funds because it blows the department budget away. I'm pretty sure if I wracked up a bill that large without getting it approved I'd get fired, which is what I think was happening until they realized it was an error. What a way to start the week.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

DigitalMocking posted:

Tell me more/give me some links. We've got a boardroom that is a poo poo show. 30' wide, 50' long, 15' ceilings, and every surface is hard and reflective. Ohh, and they won't let us put any acoustical treatments on the room, because it ruins the historical "look". Executives complain that calls sound hollow and echoey, no poo poo they sound like that, the loving room echoes when you talk normally. Currently running some Shure mx393/Os through a Nexia VC, and it's... acceptable at best.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off: First thing emergency Monday meetings preempted by a phone call while I'm on the hour long commute to work asking if I can "get in any earlier". Talk vaguely for 30 minutes about this massive bill from a vendor and how the hell did it get so high without mentioning the amounts. Turns out the vendor send us our bill + someone else's on page two where it lists a different company name. I didn't even use the vendor last month, manager with permission called in for support on product and has a 0.25h bill we did not rack up 400 billable hours last month.

I didn't even get to look at the information first since this was sent while I was on the ride and trying to figure out what was even happening during the meeting. Pretty sure due to the bill size they were not happy It was for over what the server room refresh is set for later this year, and that's already coming out of general funds because it blows the department budget away. I'm pretty sure if I wracked up a bill that large without getting it approved I'd get fired, which is what I think was happening until they realized it was an error. What a way to start the week.

I hate bills that are due NET 2 (hours)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pixaal posted:

Wait, so despite it being an error on the vendors part and you guys not owing any extra money, they are still axing your server refresh?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Wait, so despite it being an error on the vendors part and you guys not owing any extra money, they are still axing your server refresh?

No, it was there for a comparison that a server refresh is going to break the bank and this was well over that. Had some hardware on it. Honestly if I had generated that bill I would have expected to be fired. No one realized the bill was an error until I looked at the drat thing. They just saw huge numbers that we honestly probably couldn't have afforded and wanted blood. Everything has settled down now. Still pissed me off that they called me, started a massive meeting without me knowing what was going on and wondering if they forgot about something and billed for it and just wanted to know what $200 bill was or something. (It's happened).

I was tired and didn't realize what they were getting at at all for the first 20 minutes then asked to see the drat thing and slowly clicked what the hell was going on with the tone. Too loving early to play mystery why is every angry like they always are about a bill. I've had a meeting over stupidly small bills with people being angry when I first started, mostly because the department has a budget of $0, and it has to come from general funds. Well you see you asked me to get you exact cheap mouse and I told you a price, you said okay, it was under that. You wanted me to come back after that with a print out and give it to you? (Yes, yes this is what the CFO wants, made me play guessing games the first few months). This being the norm when I first started made me dismiss it being anything serious.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Does anyone have any interesting punishments/teasings/etc for people who are oncall and don't answer the phone, forcing the backup on-call to take issues?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Gunjin posted:

Tell me more/give me some links. We've got a boardroom that is a poo poo show. 30' wide, 50' long, 15' ceilings, and every surface is hard and reflective. Ohh, and they won't let us put any acoustical treatments on the room, because it ruins the historical "look". Executives complain that calls sound hollow and echoey, no poo poo they sound like that, the loving room echoes when you talk normally. Currently running some Shure mx393/Os through a Nexia VC, and it's... acceptable at best.

That's very funny you have a Nexia VC. That's the company I work for, Biamp systems. Nexia was a great product, for its time, but its really limited in terms of what it can really do when it comes to signal processing. We just set up our new facility using our new Tesira line and some new mics that aren't available yet (all beam forming) and its pretty impressive for sound quality, even in a cavernous lunchroom that will double as our company meeting room. The bigger rooms (6 - 8 people) are all run off of Tesira systems with Oreno as the dialer. The smaller rooms are all Bring Your Own Device hooked up with our new Devio product and its beam forming mics, and while I'm not an audio nerd, this is the product that blows my mind. You can sit in this small room with your laptop, plug into devio via USB and now you have a 4k camera and 65" screen to work with, but the audio quality blows my mind. You can talk just above a whisper and be heard crystal clear.

Depending on your budget, you might want to talk to an integrator that can get you a sound survey for that room, the proper noise canceling mics and a brain with some real DSP.

Our corporate boardroom suffers what you suffer from, but its not as big. You know how they say the painter's house always needs painting? Yeah. We've got two nexia's in our main corporate boardroom and some old rear end ceiling mics, not even our newer Audix celing mics.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

nitrogen posted:

Does anyone have any interesting punishments/teasings/etc for people who are oncall and don't answer the phone, forcing the backup on-call to take issues?

Yes. I tell them that if they do it again I fire them. And when they do it again, I fire them. Oncall isn't mandatory here, it is completely voluntary so people that have no life can make extra cash but if you decide to gently caress off to a state park with no reception because WELL IT WAS BEAUTIFUL this weekend I am going to be severely displeased.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got in trouble for not answering while on call. It was the middle of the night and the 24 hour critical ticket team decided to email me rather than calling. I got 4-5 emails a night.

My boss said I should have woken up for it. I told her I would turn my notification volume all the way up, but I knew that wouldn't make a difference because the phone was so quiet. I should have just told her I wasn't going to be woken up 4-5 times per night on the off chance one was an urgent ticket.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

it's on CALL for a reason, not onMAIL or onTEXT or whatever, it's on call because (typically) your email/text notifications are all of a 2 second sound clip that you are basically immune to while sleeping or otherwise engaged, whereas your phone ringing will last (number pulled from my rear end) 15-20seconds and, if you don't pick up the first time, the next 5 times it goes off you'll eventually wake up and realize you need to answer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Off to register ealarmclock.com that will send you an email when it's time to wake up. I'll make millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

Off to register ealarmclock.com that will send you an email when it's time to wake up. I'll make millions.

That site has a "coming soon" tag, someone beat you to it.