Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao at yujiro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Kuros posted:

To be the strongest! Show true strength!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I love how Musashi is the underdog in all this. What a great series of chapters these have been. I was worried this would be pickle 2.0. I was dead wrong.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Thoren posted:

I love how Musashi is the underdog in all this. What a great series of chapters these have been. I was worried this would be pickle 2.0. I was dead wrong.

I'm glad you're enjoying the series! However, I would argue that Musashi is not the underdog, he's just "pretending." The guy is an excellent actor, and uses his cunning to fools fighters into thinking he's much weaker than he actually is. Remember, this is the guy that murdered Retsu Kaioh, when he could have easily ended the fight with non-lethal means. Musashi "pretended" to struggle against his martial arts skills, but it was never an equal match. And more recently, in the latest few chapters, Musashi has started a huge fight with Pickle. Meanwhile, Pickle was just minding his own business, chillin' and eating alligators, as any respectable caveman does. But Musashi appears to be bullying him, so I think he's blood-thirsty for battle, just like Yujiro. Musashi even gives off a similar demonic aura (when he's fighting seriously).

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Retsu wasn't a murder though, just a consequence of a death match with swords

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

True, entering the arena vs. Musashi was naive, especially when Retsu didn't know what his opponent was capable of. But regardless of the circumstances, Musashi still killed Retsu when he didn't need to. Musashi literally had Retsu hog-tied and defenseless, and continued to toy with his prey. I only mentioned this because Thoren called Musashi an underdog, but that kind of merciless attitude sounds much more like Yujiro, who has absolutely no issue with killing people. Musashi comes from an era where it was kill-or-be-killed, so it's only natural that he would have a cold-blooded side. Plus, a lot of the artwork depicts Musashi as demon-like, and Baki had a "vision" of Musashi as a nuclear explosion when he first met him.

Although I don't care for Motobe, he's more of an underdog type of character. He left Jack Hanma completely defeated, and planted a knife in the ground as proof that he could finish the job if he wanted to. Even if it was humiliating for Jack, Motobe still spared his life. I'm not saying Motobe is a nice guy by any means, but the author seems to be setting him up as an underdog for the current series.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 27, 2016

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Musashi Kills The Baki Universe.

Jedah posted:

Although I don't care for Motobe, he's more of an underdog type of character. He left Jack Hanma completely defeated, and planted a knife in the ground as proof that he could finish the job if he wanted to. Even if it was humiliating for Jack, Motobe still spared his life. I'm not saying Motobe is a nice guy by any means, but the author seems to be setting him up as an underdog for the current series.

When was that?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Their fight begins at Chapter 93, and goes through Chapter 97. Scroll all the way down this page, if you'd like to check out all the RAW chapters. It's the very last set of links just before the facebook, twitter and google icons, above the comments section. Most recent chapter was 107.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

Musashi Kills The Baki Universe.

When was that?

it's kinda cheap, i like jack hanma, seeing him job sucks

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Can we warn against non-translated spoilers?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Should anything beyond the SpinyBack translations be put into spoilers? They just released Chapter 86. It can be tough to determine when spoiler tags are necessary.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If an English translation of it exists anywhere and is easily available, you shouldn't need spoilers to talk about it in this thread.

If no known translations exist, tag it.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
2 volumes of OG Baki dropped.

Spoilers: It is.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Chapter 87 of Baki Dou is out!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

motobe sucks and i'll be glad when musashi kills him

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Lmao motobe kicks rear end.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

motobe sucks and i'll be glad when musashi kills him

motobe sucksssssssssss

get outta here you fuckin tryhard relic of the 80s

i get upset when my boys gaia and jack get worfed for this smug dude, seriously

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

has motobe done anything at all of note in any of the baki series before now? beating yanagi doesn't count because he was a bitch

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

If I remember correctly, Motobe was originally defeated during the maximum tournament by a sumo wrestler contestant. His role was to provide commentary on the side lines of the tournament, since he's considered to be a well-known jiu-jitsu master. To my knowledge, Gaia was never introduced as his pupil during the original series, but perhaps I'm wrong. It makes sense that there's a connection between those two, since they both use the environment to their advantage.

Anyway, as you guys were saying, Motobe absolutely destroyed Yanagi, who was considered to be quite powerful during New Grappler Baki. At one point, Yanagi straight-up defeated Baki, no contest.

I agree that Yanagi was a bitch, but as far as determining the "general strength" of Motobe, I always figured he was at about Retsu's level of strength, or similar to Doppo. But now Motobe is claiming to be Musashi's equal? I guess he author really wants that fight to happen.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 16, 2016

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

the whole thing about "protecting" yujiro is absolutely retarded

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's not that Motobe thinks he's as good as/better than Musashi. It's more that he claims to be the only one who understands Musashi's mindset when he goes into a fight, which is different from that of today's fighters since Musashi goes into a fight looking to kill the other guy, not just to win. Since everyone else doesn't understand that and thinks he's just another Really Good Fightmans, they're unknowingly risking their lives by challenging him. That's why he wants to "protect" them.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Wild Horses posted:

the whole thing about "protecting" yujiro is absolutely retarded

I agree, especially when Yujiro is the type of guy who can just casually tank lightning bolts, or stop earthquakes with his fist. He is essentially a demi-god, or someone with DBZ/One Punch Man levels of power. So I don't understand Motobe's motivation to protect him. If anything, Motobe should hate Yujiro, since he's been trolling him for years. Yujiro once snapped Motobe's katana with his thumb, just because he could.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 17, 2016

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I bet Hanayama could kick Musashis rear end.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Pewdiepie posted:

I bet Hanayama could kick Musashis rear end.

Where the gently caress is he. Is he still fighting the psycho hormone dwarf from his spinoff or what.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Why did I read Garouden. It's like a poor man's Baki. I love how the protagonis disappers for like 150 chapters.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's still by Itagaki which means it's still great even if it's not Baki

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

AnonSpore posted:

It's not that Motobe thinks he's as good as/better than Musashi. It's more that he claims to be the only one who understands Musashi's mindset when he goes into a fight, which is different from that of today's fighters since Musashi goes into a fight looking to kill the other guy, not just to win. Since everyone else doesn't understand that and thinks he's just another Really Good Fightmans, they're unknowingly risking their lives by challenging him. That's why he wants to "protect" them.

We just finished an arc where everyone took turns fighting a caveman who wanted to eat them though.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
And the whole series before that was about fighting a bunch of hardened criminals who wanted to kill them.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Which contained the single most homoerotic moment of the whole series, baki taunting a nude man and kicking him in the balls repeatedly. That's unrelated but I just thought about it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm not saying Motobe is right I'm saying that's what he thinks

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

Where the gently caress is he. Is he still fighting the psycho hormone dwarf from his spinoff or what.

tough is a good series but its not a spin off

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I'm talking about the Hanayama spin off.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

K. Flaps posted:

New chappies of the Scarface spinoff. lmao.

The hormone dwarf in question

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

I'm talking about the Hanayama spin off.

you should read tough clearly

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I've read a lot of tough actually. Guess I need to find where I stopped if there's a psycho hormone dwarf in there though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's not really a psycho or on hormones but he's definitely a midget

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I don't have an issue with Motobe (or anybody else) suddenly becoming much stronger, as long as there's some kind of exposition, backstory, or training montage. Baki, for example, usually goes into his basement and trains until he practically murders himself. Plus, he's got the Hanma bloodline, which means he has all kinds of superhuman traits. In that situation, I understand how Baki would become much stronger, I don't think anybody questions it.

However, with Motobe in the current series, we didn't get any of that. We're just supposed to accept that a side character is now on Musashi's level, or approaching it. It's very bizarre. Even Musashi acknowledges him as "strong."

I really believe the "old" Motobe would have been stomped by someone like Jack Hanma, who stands over 7 feet tall and weighs over 250 lbs. Somehow, the "new" Motobe made Jack look like an amateur, and even tanked his attacks like they were no big deal. Then Motobe tossed him around like a little boy, which has nothing to do with being a weapon user. That's a very drastic change.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dudes seriously

This is Baki

Power levels mean nothing except "Yuujirou will wreck your poo poo"