Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Swagger Dagger posted:

You can do it!

You'd only be jumping the gun if you decided you really want to buy something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTTWeSCUoXw

I think I'll go with a real grade then. I'd like to keep most of my models the same size for obsessive compulsive reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You'll get over it in time. Also get ready for some small rear end parts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BlitzBlast posted:

You'll get over it in time. Also get ready for some small rear end parts.

Honestly, this is actually a lot less frustrating than Warhammer models. Being able to just snap things together and go back and fix mistakes is a godsend compared to working with plastic cement.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Are there any plans to release Origin MGs beyond the RX-79. I would love to see a Zaku I.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

as a veteran player of tabletop warmans I'll take tiny snapfit pieces over modestly sized garbage resin and pewter horseshit any day

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ka0 posted:

Are there any plans to release Origin MGs beyond the RX-79. I would love to see a Zaku I.

Seems likely. I saw a bunch of the mobile suit discovery line the other day at comic con. One of them looked like a proto zaku 1, so I'm sure they'd make another one

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Compared to the halfassed resin of Warhammer kits, even the wacky-scalped Thunderbolts models are an infinitely better value.

How Warhammer manages to survive when companies like Reaper Miniatures are releasing equally detailed miniatures for like, 5-10 dollars is beyond me.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Be warned that the RG frames are kind of fragile — the joints need to be moved from their molded position very carefully and slowly worked a bit before you just start bending them willy-nilly.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They aren't too fragile; basically treat them like any other prebuilt toy and gently rock the joints until they move their full range. It's just something you dont typically deal with for gundam models.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also avoid the RX-78-02 RG because armor bits fall off if you so much as cough near it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm looking at the MS-06F Zaku II Real Grade, because if I'm gonna get a Zaku, I might as well get a good one. I'd considered getting the Char custom Zaku RG, but I saw the HG Origin Zaku for Char and it looks awesome.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's not so much the joints themselves you have to worry about as the spindly members of the frame proper — that poo poo breaks, there's no fixing it.

Obviously less of an issue once the model's built and everything's protected and reinforced, but RGs still make me kind of nervous. I just don't see them lasting decades like the less fiddly kits do.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm looking at the MS-06F Zaku II Real Grade, because if I'm gonna get a Zaku, I might as well get a good one. I'd considered getting the Char custom Zaku RG, but I saw the HG Origin Zaku for Char and it looks awesome.

The RG Zaku's also pretty early, and the cabling tends to... explode. It can be handled by glue, but it's a bit of a pain. Char's Origin Zaku is a better bet.

Still, that one's not in green yet, so if you want a grunt version, probably the best choice. For RGs in general, though, I recommend the Gundam MK II. Really solid kit, nice frame, cool moving armor.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Ka0 posted:

I just want a modern MG Zaku I, Origin redesign or no. The HG Origin version is nice, but I want something bigger.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Does anyone have any experience with Humbrol Matte Clear Varnish? I bought a bottle of it over the weekend but I've been trying to google information about it and the extremely limited little amount I can find is all basically negative claiming that it frosts up way too easily and just ruins models. I think I am going to go return it because I am afraid to ruin any of my paint jobs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Check with the scale model thread too:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one that had no problem with MG Zaku II tube parts? Just jam them onto a skewer, they fit just fine and hold in place. Whittle down with an Xacto knife, progressive wet sand like any other part, done, repeat.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Geeze I've been lazy about gunpla-ing. I noticed Nobell Gundam came off preorder on Gundam Planet so I bought that up before it was too late, and also got a cute little BB Guntank for work. I was gonna get my first Master Grade next, but Nobell's too good to pass up.

Probably going to straight-build the Nobell. Though I still want to do a lot of other paint jobs, like that poison-dart Man Rodi idea I had. Hopefully I can talk my friend into bringing back over the airbrush and air compressor. I still need to learn how to even use the thing. Hopefully the airbrush isn't gunked up again or anything like that, but worst case scenario I can clean it up.

If you want to grab a Nobell Gundam for under 20 bucks before shipping: Best do it now~! Doubt they'll be buyable from Gundam Planet much longer.

Time to get back into it.

e: How long does Gundam Planet standard shipping take? They already shipped my order!

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 17, 2016

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MJP posted:

Am I the only one that had no problem with MG Zaku II tube parts? Just jam them onto a skewer, they fit just fine and hold in place. Whittle down with an Xacto knife, progressive wet sand like any other part, done, repeat.

If you do it the way the instructions tell you to, you're going to enter a world of hurt because the loving beads will not move unless you put all of your strength into your thumb.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

closeted republican posted:

If you do it the way the instructions tell you to, you're going to enter a world of hurt because the loving beads will not move unless you put all of your strength into your thumb.

It's been forever since I did my Zaku II 2.0, but I recall having no real problem with that part of the process. Although I could see it being made easier if you have needlenose pliers wrapped up in electrical tape as not to scrape the tubes, though.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I constructed my Zaku II 2.0 a few months ago, and my fingers entered the world of hurt. Eventually I figured out that I could simply cut around each bead, which helped somewhat.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I think it varies wildly depending on how much the beads melted the gray bit when they were overmolded on top. I just dunked the section in near-boiling water for a while, it softened the gray part more and the beads twisted off pretty easily.

Bit of a mystery why they molded the harder plastic on top of the softer one, deforming it and causing this whole mess. Haha just kidding it's because it made the mold cheaper

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I occasionally still feel pain on my thumb whenever people talk about the MG Zaku II 2.0.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I did Char's Zaku II 2.0 and the resulting calluses on my thumbs are only the size of a penny, drat people overselling their pain.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Funky Valentine posted:

I did Char's Zaku II 2.0 and the resulting calluses on my thumbs are only the size of a penny, drat people overselling their pain.

It's the pain underneath my thumbnail that I remember.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I'd like to see their next Zaku models use the same sort of tech they use on the RG frames to do the tubes and pipe pieces. I don't know if they can do two color injection on that sort of mold though.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

slightpirate posted:

I'd like to see their next Zaku models use the same sort of tech they use on the RG frames to do the tubes and pipe pieces. I don't know if they can do two color injection on that sort of mold though.

Astray Red Frame

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I want all MGs from here on out to have the RX-78 3.0 hands. I'm in the minority but I love that they're a semi-single unit and twist right into place. It's so much nicer than having to cut and polish each individual section of finger, repeat 27 more times.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What's he doing with his left hand?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Powering his Gundam Seed obv

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

MJP posted:

I want all MGs from here on out to have the RX-78 3.0 hands. I'm in the minority but I love that they're a semi-single unit and twist right into place. It's so much nicer than having to cut and polish each individual section of finger, repeat 27 more times.

Agreed completely, I love emotion manipulators.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

I still prefer the wing mg hands, because holy poo poo do I hate sanding down all those nubs for the emotion manipulators.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

slightpirate posted:

I thought it was the same tech already?

MJP posted:

Hate these things SO much. Just more stuff to break, and they don't even look that good.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I prefer the WIng style hands. They're much less fiddly, and look more in scale on the smaller things.

The Emotion Manipulators have gotten a lot better since they first appeared, though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I like the articulated hands on prebuilt toys, but gundam model hands are already fragile enough WRT holding weapons sculpted, let alone articulated.

Speaking of, I love the INO gun design that has an added connection on the arm (even if that makes robots with hands even MORE pointless.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not a fan of Wing hands, but I'm not a particular fan of Emotion Manipulators either.

In a perfect world I'd be happiest if everything had Sinanju hands, but that's unreasonable so I'm okay with just standard MG three connected fingers, an index finger, and a thumb hands.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Really, I just like having a choice. RG gets it exactly right by including both full action EM-type units and a variety of nicely sculpted fixed-pose hands. Not in the budget for MG, I guess.

I'd be less salty about it if the Builders Parts hand sets were EVER in stock when I buy kits... seriously, every goddamn time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of rg, I got myself the rg rx-178 mk ii kit. Will see how things go

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Anyone have any experience with Kneadatite epoxy putty for Gundam models? I saw it in the Julius Plamo blog in one of his miniature builds, and while the Tamiya putty is pretty nice the two elements come in two separate pouches and I'm lousy at getting the amount exactly right (which usually leaves a never-curing waxy film that needs to be scraped or sanded off) and Kneadatite tape is just one strand with both split down it.

Also it's not a japanese company, which means no silly markup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I've used a similar product, it worked nicely but the interface between the two halves was a bit crusty out of the bag and within five years the entire roll had hardened to uselessness. So I guess just don't buy huge rolls of the stuff!