Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
tokogawa needs to resurrect yuujirou's dad next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Agreed, and he should fight an alien.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

AnonSpore posted:

Power levels mean nothing except "Yuujirou will wreck your poo poo"
Sure. That was the general theme of the manga for many years, but then Son of Ogre happened, and Baki matured. After he fought his dad on equal terms, you can't really say that anymore. Now, more recently, Musashi has appeared and seems to be an equal to Yujiro. He put his hand to his neck in a gesture that said "I could kill you where you stand" and Yujiro backed down. That never would have happened in the past.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

Agreed, and he should fight an alien.

I don't think Tokugawa would last very long against an alien.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Baki proved himself an equal to his father by doing better space work than him while they pretended to have dinner in the middle of their fight.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jedah posted:

Sure. That was the general theme of the manga for many years, but then Son of Ogre happened, and Baki matured. After he fought his dad on equal terms, you can't really say that anymore. Now, more recently, Musashi has appeared and seems to be an equal to Yujiro. He put his hand to his neck in a gesture that said "I could kill you where you stand" and Yujiro backed down. That never would have happened in the past.

There are certain people that are on the Yuujirou level. Baki, Musashi, Pickle, Kaku Kaioh maybe. That's about it. Outside of that, he will still wreck your poo poo.

Chances are he'll still wreck your poo poo even if you are on his level. My point is that outside of Yuujirou and arc centerpieces like Musashi/Pickle, who wins a fight is mostly arbitrary and decided entirely by Itagaki based on what he wants for the story.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

It's still by Itagaki which means it's still great even if it's not Baki

It's very liberal with its face smashing. Teeth seem to regrow incredibly fast.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

SpinyBack released Baki-Dou Chapters 90 and 91!

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 24, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yujiroh killed people all the time and suddenly he's not always fighting to the death?

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Gaia being weaker than Motobe is bullshit. That guy is supposed to be the ultimate soldier, hze knows how to use weapons.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I agree. Just like Jack Hanma, Gaia was jobbed. Motobe continues to troll us all in his underpants.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
This manga desperately needs another Ali Jr. the old crew can go ham on instead of jobbing all the time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

K. Flaps posted:

This manga desperately needs another Ali Jr. the old crew can go ham on instead of jobbing all the time.

I mean, the old crew jobbed like hell to Ali Jr when he was first introduced

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
And then they brutally kicked his rear end until he was 90% mummy.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The best part was when Retsu beat up a bunch of boxers for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Boxers have it rough. Remember when Yujiro went into the boxing gym and popped all their eyes out when he was first introduced, that was hosed up.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Thoren posted:

The best part was when Retsu beat up a bunch of boxers for absolutely no reason whatsoever.
Yes! Plus, we got to learn about how the human brain is just like tofu.

And remember when the author teased us with a Retsu vs. Usain Bolt mega-fight? I wonder if he'll ever make an appearance again.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
He got destroyed off screen. Frazier fight was actually good, I wanted to see a Foreman fight in baki but I guess I can't expect my tastes to be catered to perfectly

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

someone should make a real people in anime/manga thread and then just make the op all the people in baki

not sure if i preferred george bush or che guevara

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Remember when Kiichi from Tough fought Dennis Rodman in a secluded forest temple? Good times.

Well, not really he turned out to be a huge jobber. But the moment when I realized that, no, I wasn't missing the joke and the author had really just dropped Dennis Rodman into the middle of the story because gently caress it, why not? Will always be a little magical to me.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Remember when Kiichi from Tough fought Dennis Rodman in a secluded forest temple? Good times.

Well, not really he turned out to be a huge jobber. But the moment when I realized that, no, I wasn't missing the joke and the author had really just dropped Dennis Rodman into the middle of the story because gently caress it, why not? Will always be a little magical to me.

I read all of Tough up to the point where they found Kiichi's dad's older brother (not Kiryuu) and I do not remember this

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Remember the Tough monkey man?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the 2nd baki op is a masterpiece

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ringo Roadagain posted:

the 2nd baki op is a masterpiece
I always enjoyed the original opening theme from the Baki anime: I NEVER GIVE UP IN CHANGING ZA WARUDO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPD6a9dqdoM

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

K. Flaps posted:

Remember the Tough monkey man?
The gourmet monkey man:

Even a mindless killing machine puts his bib on properly, and has discerning taste when it comes to food and wine.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 92 and 93 are out!

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Someone tell me when this fight is over, my heart can't take seeing Jack job to Motobe.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 111 (Korean) is also out!

No idea what's been said, but it isn't surprising to see Gaia get crushed by Musashi. We expected that. Gaia probably wanted to "test" Musashi after Motobe (his teacher) decided to make him his target. It seems like Gaia is comparing Musashi's aura/presence with the presence of one of his military generals, which makes sense. It would be really cool to see Gaia use an arsenal of modern weapons on Musashi, though their fight will likely be over with long before that could ever happen. Musashi is just way too fast and perceptive.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I reread the first part of original Baki and the manga used to be a lot more fun. Baki was a goofy guy, but also humble and helped people like the boxing coach of his school and all the injuries were a lot more brutal (lots of broken bones sticking out of skin, popped out eyeballs etc.)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jedah posted:

Baki Dou Chapter 111 (Korean) is also out!

No idea what's been said, but it isn't surprising to see Gaia get crushed by Musashi. We expected that. Gaia probably wanted to "test" Musashi after Motobe (his teacher) decided to make him his target. It seems like Gaia is comparing Musashi's aura/presence with the presence of one of his military generals, which makes sense. It would be really cool to see Gaia use an arsenal of modern weapons on Musashi, though their fight will likely be over with long before that could ever happen. Musashi is just way too fast and perceptive.

I really liked how Musashi reasoned out that the springblade was a 'firearm in the shape of a knife' through sensing Gaia's intent, it was great.

K. Flaps posted:

I reread the first part of original Baki and the manga used to be a lot more fun. Baki was a goofy guy, but also humble and helped people like the boxing coach of his school and all the injuries were a lot more brutal (lots of broken bones sticking out of skin, popped out eyeballs etc.)

Baki now is fun af and I like it more than the original. Back then Itagaki didn't have that "so dead serious when describing ridiculous things that it goes through hilarious and loops back around to awesome" thing down as pat.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Fair enough, the descriptions are the greatest things ever. But the goofiness of a super doctor with the perfect human body killing a circus tiger before going to the gym, squatting 500kg and beating up a professional wrestler in there is kind of lost. The manga is still good though of course.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Would you please add this picture to the original post? The image fits perfectly with the overall theme of the manga. Doppo's antics are timeless, and I'm sad to say he doesn't play a larger role in the current series. His eyeball rolling techniques should be one of the first things people see when they're introduced to the manga. I hope other people agree, this is just my humble opinion. Moments like this have brought out the best aspects of the manga. The anime also did a great job of exhibiting Doppo's techniques, which is strange to say, but definitely true. Doppo is both hilarious and amazing and deserves way more attention.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 3, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

My favorite Doppo moment (Doppoment) was when he was fighting Dorian and got hypnotized to fight an imaginary Dorian (who would be an easier opponent) while the real one tried to get the drop on him, but his fighting instincts were so loving keen that the imaginary Dorian in his mind acted exactly like the real one did so he just beat the poo poo out of the real Dorian while not actually being able to see him at all.

Doppo owns. Doppowns.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Muhammad Ali is dying :(

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I wish we lived in the universe where Muhammad Ali Arai trained so hard he trained past Parkinson's :smith:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ah hell he died. Just when I posted.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Rest in peace Arai, may your son not get his hands broken by a crazed Aikido master and then broken again by a crazed Karate master

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

The author's tribute to Muhammad Ali, the Greatest of All Time:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
awww, yujiro is cute