Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I regret making my awful joke now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

We have one of those, he's called Omekamon.

omg its adorable in a weird way

Dexie posted:

I regret making my awful joke now.

some little kid made at least 4 episodes of that...

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh my god, I have the bootleg Omegamon too (with many other bootleg toys, comes with living in a third world country). Seeing it brings me so many good childhood memories.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh my god, I have the bootleg Omegamon too (with many other bootleg toys, comes with living in a third world country). Seeing it brings me so many good childhood memories.

:hfive: Sup buddy

It was the same for me, those toys hold so many good childhood memories. I'm honestly surprised they survived for so long in a relatively good state.

I was recently linked to this series of articles about the franchise's story

http://www.digimonworld.org/2015/10/the-original-monster-makers-history-of.html
http://www.digimonworld.org/2015/11/childrens-war-game-digimon-pendulum-d.html
http://www.digimonworld.org/2015/11/zen-and-art-of-digimon-digimon-in-asia.html

A shame they stopped there though.

All in all, is a fantastic read. Plenty of information I wasn't aware of.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Did netflix ever explain why they dumped the sub? the dub is really bad in comparison.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It's not THAT much worse, IMO.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One of my favorite youtube musicians, Tsuko G, just released a cover of Butter-Fly, in tribute to Koji Wada. It's fairly excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDwzFi0gc0s&hd=1

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The same site that leaked DB Xenoverse 2 ahead of its reveal, is saying there's a new multimedia initiative for Digimon. Via Tamer Union

quote:

Japanese spoiler blog Alternator reported today that the latest issue of V Jump magazine contains an announcement of a new upcoming Digimon series, Digimon Universe Applimonsters. Said to be an Autumn 2016 collaboration between Bandai, Bandai Namco Entertainment, and Toei Animation, Universe Applimonsters is supposed to encompass a toyline, TV anime series, and video games. Alternator acquired the information via a furage ("Flying Get") meaning they acquired an issue of the magazine more than a day ahead of its street date. Such acquisitions are made possible by paying off middleman distributors, or stores that get their stock early. Alternator's original statement with an English translation is provided below.

「デジモンユニバース アプリモンスターズ」
"Digimon Universe Applimonsters" (Dejimon Unibaasu Apurimonsutaazu)
バンダイ×バンダイナムコエンターテインメント×東映アニメーションのホビー・ゲーム・TVアニメ超大型プロジェクト2016年秋始動、というのですがどうもこれ名前からしてもスマりそう。
A super massive scale hobby, game, and TV anime project between Bandai x Bandai Namco Entertainment x Toei Animation beginning in Autumn 2016, or so it says, but going by this name it seems more likely to fit smartphones.
6/9からの東京おもちゃショー2016でさらなる情報解禁ともあるので、スマんなくても3DSったりはしそうですし。
Additional information will be unveiled at the Tokyo Toy Show beginning 6/9, if not for smartphones then likely for 3DS.
ちなみにおもちゃ連動という事でPSVitaの可能性は低かろうと考えていますが、デジモンワールドnext 0rderについても無料配信コンテンツで謎のデジモンが育成出来るという情報もあり、まだ動きは続いていきそうです。
By the way, I think the possibility of toys accompanying the PS Vita may be low, but since there is also information about freely distributed content for Digimon World -next 0rder- allowing you to raise a mysterious Digimon, this activity is likely to be followed up on.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
"Applimonsters"? Well, another anime can't possibly be worse than the last one.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

quote:

there is also information about freely distributed content for Digimon World -next 0rder- allowing you to raise a mysterious Digimon, this activity is likely to be followed up on.

This sounds like more Digimon World types and that sounds awful.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
IS REAL

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/733169355383394304

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Looks like there's a 15th anniversary D-Ark on the page next to it, too. Wonder how they'll handle the card slash part of it?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So I guess we'll deal with FlappyBirdmon that digivolves into AngryBirdmon? NekoAstumemon is probably a Perfect.

I'll stay with my MarvelUnlimitedmon

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

*high pitched sound only dogs can hear*

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oh boy

a mobage

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In sadder news, Yoko Mizutani, the original voice of Sora, has passed away.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160519-00000328-oric-ent

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh boy, a lovely multimedia project. Exactly what I wanted out of Digimon.

Oh wait, what I wanted was for them to continue on the road they were, my bad.

I want to trust but I won't, this will be terrible. At least Tri is still ongoing and that reminds me why I love Digimon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Pretty much every Digimon series has had an anime, toys, and a video game tie in. I dunno why yer suddenly doom and gloom about it now.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 19, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh boy, a lovely multimedia project. Exactly what I wanted out of Digimon.

Oh wait, what I wanted was for them to continue on the road they were, my bad.

I want to trust but I won't, this will be terrible. At least Tri is still ongoing and that reminds me why I love Digimon.

What is wrong with Bamco and Toei capitalizing in the sudden success with the IP to give a huge push and hopefully raise its profile as brand? :confused:

TFRazorsaw posted:

In sadder news, Yoko Mizutani, the original voice of Sora, has passed away.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160519-00000328-oric-ent

Aw man. Rest in Peace.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i'm very excited about the upcoming phone game. the last ones were so good. :geno:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Going full multimedia like that only makes me think that we'll get a poo poo f2p phone game full of IAPs to make it even remotely playable, with a half-assed anime that only exists to sell said game. The fact that Digimon seemed to fix itself on appealing to an older demographic to survive, while this basically screams "going for children who have no idea how money works so they'll buy everything", doesn't even remotely help.

It might just be me being overly negative though. I also had no expectations whatsoever of Tri, and that sure proved me wrong.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A smartphone app is the way to go considering kids don't want dedicated Digivice toys anymore. This isn't about being cheap this is about adapting to a newer market.

That doesn't mean this is necessarily a kid-oriented work, of course. Digimon Collectors, Crusader, etc. were targeted towards older fans and they were all digital.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The other animes also existed to justify toys, games, or cards. Why do you think they had digivices to begin with?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

kids don't want dedicated Digivice toys anymore.

Where are you getting this? Kids who are of the age that would be most interested in toys haven't even had their own Digimon series to have toys of.

TFRazorsaw posted:

That doesn't mean this is necessarily a kid-oriented work, of course. Digimon Collectors, Crusader, etc. were targeted towards older fans and they were all digital.

They were also terrible.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

mikeycp posted:

Where are you getting this? Kids who are of the age that would be most interested in toys haven't even had their own Digimon series to have toys of.

They were also terrible.

The general failure of toys in that vein across the board. Roleplay devices that make sounds and stuff are more popular than quest or pet raising toys.

The Xros Loader flat out BOMBED.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seems like Meicoomon evolution will debut in Next 0rder

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Bandai, Bandai Namco Entertainment, and Toei Animation have officially announced Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters, its new cross-media project starting with a TV anime airing this fall, toys, and a digital kids card game, and expanding to related products, games, magazines, and more.

First details about the anime’s theme were also shared. The key is the smartphone applications used by everyone around the world each day. Within these apps lurk artificial intelligence life-forms called “Appli Monsters,” also known by the short-name “Appmons.” These monsters exist only for the amount of apps that exist.

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/digimon-universe-appli-monsters-cross-media-project-officially-announced#IowgTBQvmQMbfQWs.99

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

They aren't even using the term Digimon. Impressive. Really, really impressive.

I'm so glad Tri is running alongside this.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So this is literally just removing the pretense and getting rid of the name Digimon that's great

Also amusingly enough, for me as a kid? Digimon season 1 and 3 was never a toy show. For whatever reason the toyline for season one NEVER came out over here. I was never aware of it and never really thought of the show like that. Season 3 also did not have much of a shelf life over here, though there might have been some cheaper poo poo that I ignored.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blaze Dragon posted:

They aren't even using the term Digimon. Impressive. Really, really impressive.

I'm so glad Tri is running alongside this.

Same here. Tri's running so whatever kiddy poo poo this is i'll give it a chance, we're literally getting a good product for our target audience so it's not like this new show will take anything from it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Man that new name is dumb as hell, unless they're doing a Digi-Gnome sort of thing and these are supposed to be a separate form of Digital Life and Digimon proper are still around(kinda a Transformers and Mini-Cons sort of deal)

If not though I bet they'll change their mind on this name change pretty quick cause this will probably set the entirety of the Digimon fandom against them, and Digimon is still small enough of a franchise currently that it can't afford to alienate the fans like other franchises can do

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Focusing so much on apps sounds like some 90's era, "we're still relevant" style rebrand that just horribly dates the work.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

drrockso20 posted:

Man that new name is dumb as hell, unless they're doing a Digi-Gnome sort of thing and these are supposed to be a separate form of Digital Life and Digimon proper are still around(kinda a Transformers and Mini-Cons sort of deal)

If not though I bet they'll change their mind on this name change pretty quick cause this will probably set the entirety of the Digimon fandom against them, and Digimon is still small enough of a franchise currently that it can't afford to alienate the fans like other franchises can do

That might be the angle, the teaser site for the videogame has some new digimon teased in the background

Geostomp posted:

Focusing so much on apps sounds like some 90's era, "we're still relevant" style rebrand that just horribly dates the work.

To be fair, that is something inevitable given the core concept of the franchise.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Digimon" is part of the series' name. I think it'd be a bit presumptuous to say it won't be used.

EDIT - also, EVERY series of Digimon dates itself. Like, Our War Game and Tamers are great works that both use technology well, but they're also pretty far removed from how technology advanced since.

Application software, meanwhile, have been part of technology for decades now. They're not going anywhere.

EDIT - I mean, Taichi and Koushirou save the world in the 2nd movie using Windows 98 and DIAL-UP.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 21, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the time when the internet could be slowed down by millions of kids sending emails

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

mandatory lesbian posted:

the time when the internet could be slowed down by millions of kids sending emails

The time when 40GB was a huge amount of data.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The concept of a DDoS attack lives on.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Considering the full title starts with "Digimon Universe", it sounds like this is just a standard case of a spin-off using the original's marketing draw to get up and running. Nothing new for any form of media.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TFRazorsaw posted:

"Digimon" is part of the series' name. I think it'd be a bit presumptuous to say it won't be used.

EDIT - also, EVERY series of Digimon dates itself. Like, Our War Game and Tamers are great works that both use technology well, but they're also pretty far removed from how technology advanced since.

Application software, meanwhile, have been part of technology for decades now. They're not going anywhere.

EDIT - I mean, Taichi and Koushirou save the world in the 2nd movie using Windows 98 and DIAL-UP.

I can't wait to see Our War Game 3, where Diaboromon takes advantage of modern internet speeds to effortlessly win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bee posted:

I can't wait to see Our War Game 3, where Diaboromon takes advantage of modern internet speeds to effortlessly win.

Or a Digimon series by way of Person of Interest where the kids get tooled by Samaritan in the first 10 minutes.