Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I wonder what he meant by it being time for Bran to become him. Just that he can use the weirwood network without help? Or that he had some sort of role. And what is that role?

It's time for Bran to learn to say "Play with her arse"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Show Bran is old tree guy! Show Bran is old tree guy! Calling it now! He'll warg or something into the distant past to become tree guy and close a stupid time loop!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Oh my sweet summer puppy.

https://twitter.com/jameslsutter/status/735333069729718272

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have to say that the addition of time travel fuckery to this already convoluted story packed with loose ends and unexplained mysteries gave a bad LOST feeling

My show-only coworker compared it to LOST (as a detriment) last night.

Spooky

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

With the way the show is going, that dude is going to get stabbed in the dog.

And it might not be a tragedy all things considered.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

Show Bran is old tree guy! Show Bran is old tree guy! Calling it now! He'll warg or something into the distant past to become tree guy and close a stupid time loop!

Well, one direct interpretation of what was said is that Bran will become him. In fact, the line was "The time has come for you to become me." Such an amazing intellect you have!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

I wonder what he meant by it being time for Bran to become him. Just that he can use the weirwood network without help? Or that he had some sort of role. And what is that role?

My take: The last greenseer, being a greenseer is not just like a D&D profession it's about being absorbed into the WeirNet and serving some as-of-yet unknown function, possibly keeping the old magical wards working (the wall, storm's end), maybe even keeping the Old Gods alive and preventing the others from ushering the second long night.

I mean, we've already seen that the winters are related to the weirwoods and that specifically the others control at least one ancient and powerful weirwood grove from which they seemingly draw some magical power.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Have there been any dubbed versions yet, or will we have to wait a few months to see how they handle Hold The Door?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Junkenstein posted:

Have there been any dubbed versions yet, or will we have to wait a few months to see how they handle Hold The Door?

the German version goes

"Halt das Tor"
"Halt Tor"
"Hodor"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
MY SENSE OF EQUALITY SAYS YOU CAN OPEN THE DOOR ON YOUR OWN

MSENSE OF EQUALITY SAYOUCN OPEN TODOR ONYROWN

MSENOF EQUALISAY OTODOR ORNOWN

MSOF LISAY TORNOWN

MLSAY TO

MLASY

MLASY

M'LADY

M'LAAAAAADYYYYYY!!!!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, one direct interpretation of what was said is that Bran will become him. In fact, the line was "The time has come for you to become me." Such an amazing intellect you have!

Whaaaaaaa?! Really?! No!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Junkenstein posted:

Its completely impossible in portuguese

Segure a porta
Seporta
???
Hodor

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's an article in the telegraph about dubs. They aren't complete fools and could change what hodor's instructions were. In Turkish it was "stay here".

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Hodor has always said Hodor, so I imagine for the scene they just keep it in English and he says hold the door while the subtitles convey the phrase is a contraction.

Like I wouldn't be confused if someone told me, say, Gojira was a contraction of gorira (gorilla) and kujira (whale).

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
azor ahai

a zor, a hai

a sore, a high

absolute fucker

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In French it was "Don't let them outside". Only "outside" (au dehors) evolves into Hodor.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I think I would have more respect for the whole thing if Hodor's name was Holddoor.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hoededoor

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Hodor has always said Hodor, so I imagine for the scene they just keep it in English and he says hold the door while the subtitles convey the phrase is a contraction.

Like I wouldn't be confused if someone told me, say, Gojira was a contraction of gorira (gorilla) and kujira (whale).

Holy poo poo is that what godzilla means? Gorilla whale?

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Krinkle posted:

No, its just a name

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
My arm is numb.
My arm is numb!
Numb arm!
Numb arm!
Narm!
Narm!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

My arm is numb.
My arm is numb!
Numb arm!
Numb arm!
Narm!
Narm!

Beer me Sammy!

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
It got me thinking about the wolves in the show/books as well and how they all have different names. For example, Shaggy Dog is a name of one wolves, and it's named that because a wolf is kind of like a dog.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Krinkle posted:

Sorta, yeah. Like, he's gigantic and I think was actually kinda furry in the original film. It's poetic, and Japanese commentary has only grown more poignant and meaningful as seen in the classic tale "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute"

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sorta, yeah. Like, he's gigantic and I think was actually kinda furry in the original film. It's poetic, and Japanese commentary has only grown more poignant and meaningful as seen in the classic tale "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute"

Search Results
Gojira (ゴジラ ?) is a portmanteau of the Japanese words: gorira (ゴリラ?, "gorilla"), and kujira (鯨(クジラ)?, "whale"), which is fitting because in one planning stage, Godzilla was described as "a cross between a gorilla and a whale", alluding to his size, power and aquatic origin.

Wow I thought you guys were lying, but you're right.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Trump on the Seastone Chair Salt Throne.

http://chryswatchesgot.tumblr.com/post/144863579961/full-605-recap-reddit-patreon-requests-for

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I thought we were just making fun of how asians can't say "l"s... oh wait "Gorira"

kcroy fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 26, 2016

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

too soon bro.

also should be made of weirwood.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hodor memes are the only way I've kept my coworkers from realizing how loving stupid I think Hodor's death scene was.

"oh it's so saaaaad" Yeah sure here's a meme.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

It's an amazingly long burn reveal and I love Grum for being able to do that. Except that in this case he didn't, and the half-assedness of the show got to spurt it out first like so much Dany squats.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/search?q=hamofthrones&ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Esearch

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

I don't get it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Someone asked Preston Jacobs how the White Walkers' origin works if it's all science fiction.

"Obsidian isn't really that special a material, it's just a rock; silicon. You know what else is made from silicon? That's right, computer chips."

I think the show broke him.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
150 pages into The Game of Thrones Part 2 of 7: King Clash, and there hasn't been a single Dannarrys chapter. We're doing pretty good.

But, after I complained about how it wan't winter yet by the end of the first book, I feel like it's a targeted slap in my face to have a bunch of characters talking about how "The weathermen say it's autumn, but it still doesn't feel like autumn, y'know?"

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

boom boom boom posted:

150 pages into The Game of Thrones Part 2 of 7: King Clash, and there hasn't been a single Dannarrys chapter. We're doing pretty good.

But, after I complained about how it wan't winter yet by the end of the first book, I feel like it's a targeted slap in my face to have a bunch of characters talking about how "The weathermen say it's autumn, but it still doesn't feel like autumn, y'know?"

weather is magic in these books they kind of bash that into your skull if you pay attention, for instance brans entire life up to the start of the books has been within summer, and hes 7 or 8

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
also literally every time theres anything supernatural happening in the north its described as being very suddenly and inexplicably colder than it was

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Can't wait for the scene where the Nights King takes control of Ser Strong, since he's undead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

jsoh posted:

weather is magic in these books they kind of bash that into your skull if you pay attention, for instance brans entire life up to the start of the books has been within summer, and hes 7 or 8

Yeah, I know. My point is, page 1: "it's going to be winter soon" page 950: "They say it's fall, but it still feels like summer to me". Get the lead out, for crying out loud