Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I ordered a blow gun for my Bostitch 6 gallon air compressor without realizing what I was ordering and it's way the gently caress bigger than I expected. Is this thing going empty my compressor in 2 seconds. The 3/8" quick disconnect didn't arrive with the blow gun so that's why I don't just try it out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

wormil posted:

I ordered a blow gun for my Bostitch 6 gallon air compressor without realizing what I was ordering and it's way the gently caress bigger than I expected. Is this thing going empty my compressor in 2 seconds. The 3/8" quick disconnect didn't arrive with the blow gun so that's why I don't just try it out.

Buy a second one and I bet you could hover Yosemite Sam style.

My tiny blow gun empties 4 gallons in like 8 seconds, so 2 seconds is probably a good estimate. You can probably just turn the regulator way down when you use it, but a normal blow gun you can just attach and use at the same pressure you had the nail gun or whatever.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Home Depot has EGO stuff on special this weekend.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hey guys; I'm looking for something to drill studs for wiring.

My milwauklee drill/driver did the trick for 90% of studs, but anything that's closer than 16" on center is giving me issues.

Should I just get an impact driver + stubby bit, or a right angle adapter, or a right angle drill? Long rear end auger bit?
Want to knock out wiring this weekend so I need to make a decision.

Walked fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 26, 2016

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Any recommendations for a good jigsaw?

My townhouse is getting to the point where I need to start doing some home improvement projects and the first thing that needs to be knocked out is my back porch gate fence that requires a fancy design because of the stupid HOA. I've been window shopping and notice there's a good range in price difference from a $30 black and decker (I'm assuming this is poo poo and should stay clear) to around $150 for some nice DeWalt. I really don't think I need a laser guide but wouldn't hurt and I'm sure a blower would definitely help.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

Hey guys; I'm looking for something to drill studs for wiring.

My milwauklee drill/driver did the trick for 90% of studs, but anything that's closer than 16" on center is giving me issues.

Should I just get an impact driver + stubby bit, or a right angle adapter, or a right angle drill? Long rear end auger bit?
Want to knock out wiring this weekend so I need to make a decision.

What kind of bit were you using for the other ones? A hole saw or forstner bit should make short work of that without requiring much clearance.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
impact driver and a short paddle bit set. you'll continue to get use out of it after the project is over.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

TheBigBad posted:

impact driver and a short paddle bit set. you'll continue to get use out of it after the project is over.

That's where I'm leaning.

I was using a bigger driver + longer paddle bit but that fell apart in the closer spots.

Impact driver and stubby bit it is

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SlimBrady posted:

My townhouse is getting to the point where I need to start doing some home improvement projects and the first thing that needs to be knocked out is my back porch gate fence that requires a fancy design because of the stupid HOA. I've been window shopping and notice there's a good range in price difference from a $30 black and decker (I'm assuming this is poo poo and should stay clear) to around $150 for some nice DeWalt. I really don't think I need a laser guide but wouldn't hurt and I'm sure a blower would definitely help.

What other equipment do you have? Is this going to be your only saw? If you just need a jigsaw to do a few curved cuts, then in my opinion it doesn't have to be a great saw (though it probably shouldn't be a bargain-basement item either, you get what you pay for). It's not really that hard to follow a line with a jigsaw.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SlimBrady posted:

Buy the best Bosch you can afford, they invented them, sorta.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What other equipment do you have? Is this going to be your only saw? If you just need a jigsaw to do a few curved cuts, then in my opinion it doesn't have to be a great saw (though it probably shouldn't be a bargain-basement item either, you get what you pay for). It's not really that hard to follow a line with a jigsaw.

I have standard hand saws and a bow saw but no other power saws. I don't really have the storage room besides a small outside closet so I am restricted on the storage for power tools but I figure to do the proper job and with how versatile a jigsaw can be, that it's worth getting.

wormil posted:

I'll check into this.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

SlimBrady posted:

My recommendation is to not buy anything Black & Decker as its bottom-tier consumer garbage.

Ryobi would probably be the next step up into mid-tier consumer acceptable/decent. Not great, but totally fine for most DIYers. Looks like Home Depot carries $40 and $60 models.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Walked posted:

That's where I'm leaning.

I was using a bigger driver + longer paddle bit but that fell apart in the closer spots.

Impact driver and stubby bit it is

For what it's worth, I'd recommend getting the right angle drill. You'll run into plenty of situations you can use as an excuse to buy an impact driver, not so much for a right angle drill. You gotta make the most out of your excuses to buy tools.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

dyne posted:

For what it's worth, I'd recommend getting the right angle drill. You'll run into plenty of situations you can use as an excuse to buy an impact driver, not so much for a right angle drill. You gotta make the most out of your excuses to buy tools.

This is true. But already ordered the impact driver.

Maybe I'll just order both. My wife was super pleased when it only took us a weekend to do an entire framing job. Thanks compressor, framing nailer, and concrete charge gun! Having the right tools make such a big freakin difference

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I think all new jigsaws use the t-shank style of blade but they seem to be cheaper than the u-shank ones that the old jigsaw (borrowed from my dad) requires.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

deimos posted:

Home Depot has EGO stuff on special this weekend.

Where do you see this? I looked on their website, and it's all the usual prices so far as I can tell.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Walked posted:

This is true. But already ordered the impact driver.

I personally use spade bits and an impact driver whenever I'm going through joists for plumbing/wiring not only because it's more compact, but because it won't get bogged down. This gets critical for old houses where the wood can be super hard. As a bonus, it seems like this setup makes much coarser sawdust, which falls straight down and doesn't get on everything.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Where do you see this? I looked on their website, and it's all the usual prices so far as I can tell.

The flyer that went out with today's newspaper, I don't buy the paper but I do work at it :v: although it might be just locally, if so, sorry.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Well they might not have all their sale prices online yet, and maybe it's in-store only anyway. I'll go have a look regardless. I've been eyeing the string trimmer, but don't really want to drop two bills on one.

e: must be a local thing. I stopped by the store and picked up the circular, and there wasn't anything from ego in it.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 27, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

wormil posted:

Seconded. I got a mid tier bosch blue jigsaw and it shat all over the cheapy b&d I used to have. I got some old jarrah from a verge collection and tried to cut it with the b&d and it laughed and nearly broke the motor. The bosch can cut it easily.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Is it settled that drilling with impact drivers is acceptable? I didn't think this was really encouraged by the manufacturers at this point.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

asdf32 posted:

Is it settled that drilling with impact drivers is acceptable? I didn't think this was really encouraged by the manufacturers at this point.

I haven't had issues, but I don't expect the hole to be clean.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Turns out I'm just totally loving blind, and Home Depot actually is having a pretty good deal on EGO stuff this weekend. Buy any of the tools with battery and charger, and get a second battery free. The battery is $129, so it's a pretty good deal. Both of the locations near me had sold out of the batteries, but I was able to get a rain check for when they have more in stock.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I got a router bit for my Dremel and the thing is amazing, it carves through 5/8 plywood like butter.

The one problem is I can't seem to do very straight cuts with it, it sort of leads my hand around. Is there any kind of table saw base I can buy where I screw the Dremel so it point straight down? That way I could grab the big board of plywood and guide that through the bit instead of the other way around.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

I got a router bit for my Dremel and the thing is amazing, it carves through 5/8 plywood like butter.

The one problem is I can't seem to do very straight cuts with it, it sort of leads my hand around. Is there any kind of table saw base I can buy where I screw the Dremel so it point straight down? That way I could grab the big board of plywood and guide that through the bit instead of the other way around.

You can apparently get dremel router tables, though I've never used one so I can't comment on their quality.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Is there any kind of table saw base I can buy where I screw the Dremel so it point straight down?

Try this

https://youtu.be/RponUHynQh4

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can apparently get dremel router tables, though I've never used one so I can't comment on their quality.

I have one, and its ok. The unit isnt that big so you either need to build an extension or only shape small pieces of wood, and the locking mechanism isnt the greatest, so the bit can be lowered in use if you arent careful, but I do a fair amount of smaller things that need roundovers that a full size router would be too big for, and its great for that.

If you are talking trying to cut full size bits of plywood, you are going to struggle with the size of it.

And that metal router table looks a hell of a lot better than the official dremel one.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Dremel router tables are crap. Just google plans to make one, it'll be 100x better.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Finally got around to doing some lawnmower maintenance. The blade was so dull I don't know how it actually cut anything. Also tons of dried grass built up on the inside. Scraped it all out and took the angle grinder to the blade. I just tried to follow the angle of the existing bevel though some of the nicks and dings were so deep I didn't even bother trying to grind them out for fear of altering the shape of the blade too much. Also the steel of the blade is incredibly soft so the grinder just eats right through it. Gotta be careful and make quick, light passes to gouging it. Maybe that's just standard operating procedure with angle grinders though, I've only used mine to cut some stainless steel threaded rod which seemed a bit tougher.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The theatre shop I work in is looking to replace its radial arm saw, but I'm having trouble finding some who actually makes them anymore. Because of the school's financial rules, buying a used one is very complicated. My rough searching has turned up very little, and what I've found in the thread talks about acquiring old craftsman ones. Any ideas?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Check with maker spaces. They often get offers of donations that they continually turn turn down.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
http://www.originalsaw.com/

Need a RAS?

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Other than ripping boards and taking moulding heads, what does a radial arm saw accomplish that a good SCMS can't do more safely?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tim Thomas posted:

Other than ripping boards and taking moulding heads, what does a radial arm saw accomplish that a good SCMS can't do more safely?

Add dado blades to your other than list.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Tim Thomas posted:

They're primarily construction saws. Framers love 'em. Crosscut lots of shelves efficiently. We used to set up a radial arm at a 45 with a slight bevel to cut door trim before electric miter box saws were really a thing. And yeah, you can rip with one, but it's scary as hell on an already very scary tool. Much worse track record than joiners, imo.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I forget if I asked this here before or not. Anyway, after 10+ years, my Craftsman cordless drill now stinks when I use it, like fried electronics. It seems to work just fine though. So what's the verdict? Brushes going bad?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

kid sinister posted:

I forget if I asked this here before or not. Anyway, after 10+ years, my Craftsman cordless drill now stinks when I use it, like fried electronics. It seems to work just fine though. So what's the verdict? Brushes going bad?

Does it have any rubber grippy surface?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

deimos posted:

Does it have any rubber grippy surface?

You mean around the handle? Then yes, kind of, mostly, for now.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

kid sinister posted:

You mean around the handle? Then yes, kind of, mostly, for now.

That's what smells. Those rubbers/grips degrade when you get solvents or grease on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Robawesome posted:

That's what smells. Those rubbers/grips degrade when you get solvents or grease on them.

Some of them degrade with nothing but time because the manufacturer used untested materials.