Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

:effort:

"Eh...I might shoot you or I might not shoot you, I dunno."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The deal with it Gundam

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Gyancelot looks fancy.

The RG Sinanju looks fancier.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I feel like the Sinanju looks a lot better than it did at the Hobby Expo, but I might be crazy

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Swagger Dagger posted:

I feel like the Sinanju looks a lot better than it did at the Hobby Expo, but I might be crazy

Yeah, it was too drat shiny when they first showed it

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

:effort:

"Eh...I might shoot you or I might not shoot you, I dunno."

The funny thing is that it would have looked better if the right arm was just left alone.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

It's beautiful. :swoon:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm still surprised Bandai made the gold trim separate pieces and not stickers.

They did it, the absolute madmen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Can't say the HG Hyaku Shiki Revive really sings to me, especially after that lovely-looking MG they released not that long ago.

Goddamnit, now I'm craving a Qubeley 2.0 all over again.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Time for me to actually buy a Sinanju kit. Also that Gyancelot :syoon:.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Do Gunpla have the same problem Transformers do where gold plastic is the brittlest poo poo?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Do Gunpla have the same problem Transformers do where gold plastic is the brittlest poo poo?

no, it does not

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Funky Valentine posted:

Droyer posted:

no, it does not

Imagine the outrage from Strike Freedom fans if it did though. :v:

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

TaurusOxford posted:

Imagine the outrage from Strike Freedom fans if it did though. :v:

Maybe on ones not the MG where its just sorta goldy yellow plastic vs being actually shiny : (

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gotta say, I'm a lot less keen on this big scarlet bastard now after some new details have been shown on it.

The big flip-out shoulder parts are just a clunky flight pack. I was hoping for bigass switchblades :sigh:.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oh god here we go it's finally happening

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gotta say, I'm a lot less keen on this big scarlet bastard now after some new details have been shown on it.

The big flip-out shoulder parts are just a clunky flight pack. I was hoping for bigass switchblades :sigh:.

That's the first suit in IBO capable of atmospheric flight, right?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Unless it's like an Aile Strike situation, probably.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

That's a good lookin robbit. Needs a Fuunsaiki.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Finished both the 1/100 Barbatos kits. 6th form is a pain to pose without it just erupting under the weight of that crab hammer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

My Prototype Gouf found a friend. This kit is pretty drat solid. Only 90 degrees of elbow movement, but the thing is chunky and easy to pose.
Now onto the RG Zaku II.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They've gotten a lot of use out of that new Gouf mold, they'll get around to the Custom eventually

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I suspect that cutting dudes up is indeed a secondary (or possibly even primary) function of those shoulder-pieces. They wouldn't have coloured them like that otherwise. I'm thinking it's a Gaia Gundam thing.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

They've gotten a lot of use out of that new Gouf mold, they'll get around to the Custom eventually

I'm holding out for an RG Gouf. With a P-Bandai prototype version...

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
If I want to use Tamiya Panel Line Accent, can I use that on top of a clear coat? Will that help protect the plastic from embrittlement from the solvent?

If so, what kind of clear coats can I safely use on my gun-dang models?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Slanderer posted:

If I want to use Tamiya Panel Line Accent, can I use that on top of a clear coat? Will that help protect the plastic from embrittlement from the solvent?

If so, what kind of clear coats can I safely use on my gun-dang models?

as long as it's not an enamel based clear coat you're fine.

Pretty much any type of clear coat is fine, though I like gunze sangyo personally.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Monaghan posted:

as long as it's not an enamel based clear coat you're fine.

Pretty much any type of clear coat is fine, though I like gunze sangyo personally.

I'll have to hit up a physical hobby store tomorrow and take a look.

Also, I just got a GM300 solvent erasing pen, and looks like I've already hosed up! I had assumed the solvent (acetone maybe?) would be sufficiently diluted to be safe, but nope! A tiny bit got onto a part of the lower leg inner frame, and after a minute it just exploded into a dozen tiny pieces. I was planning on dropping $20 on another kit to fix all the tiny things I screwed up on my first attempt, so no huge loss.

I guess in the future I'll only apply solvent to armor pieces after removing them from the inner frame, since if they are vulnerable to brief liquid contact, then fume contact would probably be bad as well.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It sounds like you did the equivalent of dumping a piece in lacquer thinner. You really shouldn't do that, that poo poo's strong.

If you want to strip paint, either use Simple Green and an ultrasonic washer or get some Testors EZ Lift off. Or, if this is really old paint, get both.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
It really was only a tiny drop, I swear! The thing can't dispense very much, and I was just cleaning out some marker left in one of the "vent" holes (which looked worse than I thought it would).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What's the current go-to airbrush compressor?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Slanderer posted:

It really was only a tiny drop, I swear! The thing can't dispense very much, and I was just cleaning out some marker left in one of the "vent" holes (which looked worse than I thought it would).

Well I mean even a tiny drop of lacquer thinner will melt through plastic. I have had club members ask me before if they can strip paint by dunking it in thinner and then scrubbing all the paint off. It never works out.

muike posted:

What's the current go-to airbrush compressor?

If you live in America, you can't go wrong with the $100 ones Airbrush Depot sells on Amazon. Maybe wait for a sale if the price is too much.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Well I mean even a tiny drop of lacquer thinner will melt through plastic. I have had club members ask me before if they can strip paint by dunking it in thinner and then scrubbing all the paint off. It never works out.

I ran the label on the GM300 "eraser" marker through google translate by taking bad pictures, and although it is giving me a completely different translation each time, I think it specifically says "if you get it on parts made of ABS they may break from penetration of the solvent". Still not 100% sure what loving solvent is even in here, but it is way stronger than I expected. It works great on the (polypropylene) armor panels, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On the topic of topcoating, if I were to use a matte finish, would that go on before or after sticker decals? I wonder if the film on the decals would be covered up by the matte, or if it would stick out more if I placed them on top of the finish.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

On the topic of topcoating, if I were to use a matte finish, would that go on before or after sticker decals? I wonder if the film on the decals would be covered up by the matte, or if it would stick out more if I placed them on top of the finish.

After. Decals need a smooth surface to adhere. The matte will help mask the film as a bonus.

Edit : you said stickers but I thought waterslides, sorry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

After. Decals need a smooth surface to adhere. The matte will help mask the film as a bonus.

Edit : you said stickers but I thought waterslides, sorry.

Okay cool. The gouf pic I put up above was halfway done the decals and is now complete. So it would be good now for a spray down

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you haven't done it yet, try dipping the stickers in water before putting them on.

It can help hide the film.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
Anyone have any advice on weathering High and Real grade kits? Can I get a satisfying visual presentation without doing any extra painting? Will weathering even stay on bare plastic? What if I varnish afterwards? Anyone with any experience would be helpful, google is surprisingly sparse.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

rjderouin posted:

Anyone have any advice on weathering High and Real grade kits? Can I get a satisfying visual presentation without doing any extra painting? Will weathering even stay on bare plastic? What if I varnish afterwards? Anyone with any experience would be helpful, google is surprisingly sparse.

the easiest thing I've been doing is using oil paints. I get Paynes grey, and burnt umber. Mix them together put them on a brush and paint all over the area you are weathering. After you put the paint on get a paper towel and wipe it all off. It stains the plastic and dulls everything and leaves it with a really cool gritty look. It also panel lines everything when you do it that way too.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Slanderer posted:

I ran the label on the GM300 "eraser" marker through google translate by taking bad pictures, and although it is giving me a completely different translation each time, I think it specifically says "if you get it on parts made of ABS they may break from penetration of the solvent". Still not 100% sure what loving solvent is even in here, but it is way stronger than I expected. It works great on the (polypropylene) armor panels, though.

Are you trying to remove Gundam Marker paint? Get a bottle of 90% or better isopropyl alcohol. It takes a bit of elbow grease but it'll get the paint off safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Somebody 3D-printed a 1/12th scale Mobile Worker