Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
He was in Israel

Also, he's not a plumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Zwabu posted:

I believe for a short time he was a roving foreign correspondent for "PajamasMedia", one of the right wing outlets like hotair, talon, etc. ... all the ones that wanted to become Breitbart.

Edit - here we go:

https://pjmedia.com/blog/pro-joe-plumbers-trip-to-israel-scares-the-establishment-media/

There are links to the video you mention online but it looks like PJTV has purged all Joe the Plumber related media from their site.

Oh yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsonTS96WaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fapcrCpenYs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xg3BXp41Lw

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

This is like a bit from Onion News Network, like I keep waiting for Joe the Plumber and Autistic Reporter interview victims of mass bombing or something

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Leave it to the American Right Wing to conclude that "yeah, this previously unknown guy who got briefly famous for getting in the President's face would be a good guy to cover foreign policy stories".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zwabu posted:

Leave it to the American Right Wing to conclude that "yeah, this previously unknown guy who got briefly famous for getting in the President's face would be a good guy to cover foreign policy stories".

It's not like they had anyone better. When you start listing "must be disconnected from reality" on your job requirements it's hard to find competent staff

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

He was in Israel

Also, he's not a plumber.

Also, his name isn't even Joe. How the gently caress did he become a right wing darling again? Everytime I ask this aloud about anything right wing, my friend just says Palin! And we both either crack up or get sort of depressed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

XtraSmiley posted:

Also, his name isn't even Joe. How the gently caress did he become a right wing darling again? Everytime I ask this aloud about anything right wing, my friend just says Palin! And we both either crack up or get sort of depressed.

He was just in the right place at the right time, really; he's basically a stock character of "ignorant white guy from a rural area." Which, of course, the American right things is just ducky and we should all aspire to be uneducated racists from backwards rural counties.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah, and for correction I guess his middle name is Joe, but I remember at the time he actually went by Sam, but I didn't see anything that can substantiate that now with a quick Google.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember that his family was involved in the state level GOP. He was basically given the mission of delivering a 'muh taxes' zinger at Obama - which he hosed up because Obama is smart enough to a: not walk into obvious traps and b: able to give him a sensible answer that anyone who's not basically on the 'taxation is theft' train couldn't really argue with.

The right-wing media pretended he was just some rando who was just asking questions until someone figured out who he really was and then he was all-in on the wingnut welfare circuit for a while.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

I seem to remember that his family was involved in the state level GOP. He was basically given the mission of delivering a 'muh taxes' zinger at Obama - which he hosed up because Obama is smart enough to a: not walk into obvious traps and b: able to give him a sensible answer that anyone who's not basically on the 'taxation is theft' train couldn't really argue with.

The right-wing media pretended he was just some rando who was just asking questions until someone figured out who he really was and then he was all-in on the wingnut welfare circuit for a while.

It scares me how many people believe this. And I mean believe it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

it is. IT IS! [casually agrees to the 35 cent convenience fee when filling up with gas]]

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

KomradeX posted:

This is from a few pages back but any recommendations on books about the Satan Panics on the 80s?

I've heard Selling Satan is good.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Keeshhound posted:

The loophole there is proving it, unfortunately. He can just claim it was meant as satire, or that he didn't mean to intimidate anyone, just that he was "expressing [his] discontent with the current state of gender politics and had no intention of making anyone uncomforatable."
Every once in a while you'll get lucky and have one of those idiots who think the courtroom is a forum for them to address the public at large, or who think everyone secretly agrees with them so they'll make an explicit public call for others to join them in putting minority x "in their place," thinking it'll kick off the revolution, but for the most part it's all but impossible to prove intent without some kind of statement from the perpetrator attesting it.

I'm actually vaguely impressed we have any hate crime convictions st all, since the bar there may as well be "announce that you are going to go attack a random [group] person because you do not like the group and then do it". :v:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Reminder that hate crimes laws are virtually always sentence enhancers. IE a racially motivated murder is subject to harsher penalties than a 'normal' murder.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jurgan posted:

I've heard Selling Satan is good.

There's also Satanic Panic: The Creation of a Contemporary Legend which is quite good. http://www.amazon.com/Satanic-Panic...M9GH0558S67N6FW

Also, The Satanism Scare by David Bromley, Joel Best and James Richardson http://www.amazon.com/Satanism-Scar...PK0QAKZWVBDKY3P

Haven't read that one but it's well regarded.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 6, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's also Satanic Panic: The Creation of a Contemporary Legend which is quite good. http://www.amazon.com/Satanic-Panic...M9GH0558S67N6FW

Also, The Satanism Scare by David Bromley, Joel Best and James Richardson http://www.amazon.com/Satanism-Scar...PK0QAKZWVBDKY3P

Haven't read that one but it's well regarded.

I just started We Believe the Children, which looks to be solid and related:

http://www.amazon.com/We-Believe-Children-Moral-Panic/dp/1610392876

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Chilichimp posted:

smell this posted:

it is. IT IS! [casually agrees to the 35 cent convenience fee when filling up with gas]]

I think a lot of that comes from the narrative that they've been taught where government is a big scary thing full of cheaters and business is made of the strongest of society. They' have no idea how much they depend on government programs or understand where their money really goes, so all they know is that the numbers on their checks get smaller even if they don't do anything. They buy into the idea that big business would do everything better than the government based entirely on their distaste for sitting in line at the DMV compared to McDonalds giving them their orders. That and they enjoy the empowering idea that their money only leaves when they decide to do it. Not realizing just how badly they get screwed over by business on a daily basis.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

bollig posted:

So this is a non-sequitur but I remember a clip from back when Joe the Plumber was a correspondent for I'm assuming Fox.

I don't know but thanks for rerailing my loving thread in any case.

good lord that was difficult to watch.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 6, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

I just started We Believe the Children, which looks to be solid and related:

http://www.amazon.com/We-Believe-Children-Moral-Panic/dp/1610392876

Yeah, I wanna read that one too. Didn't BBC do a whole thing about Satanic Panic?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm actually vaguely impressed we have any hate crime convictions st all, since the bar there may as well be "announce that you are going to go attack a random [group] person because you do not like the group and then do it". :v:

I dunno, I think we're going to be getting a whoooooooole lot more hate crime convictions now that someone came up with the deviously brilliant idea of making police officers a protected class and violence against them a hate crime. It's loving vile but god drat I have to hand it to them with that one being a major policy coup.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SumYungGui posted:

I dunno, I think we're going to be getting a whoooooooole lot more hate crime convictions now that someone came up with the deviously brilliant idea of making police officers a protected class and violence against them a hate crime. It's loving vile but god drat I have to hand it to them with that one being a major policy coup.

AKA the Lee Atawater effect, when somebody you disagree with does something simultaneously so vile and clever that you're :golfclap: despite yourself

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly I'm not even opposed to the idea of expanding hate crime protections to cover occupation but just giving it to police is dumb.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I was listening to Hannity on my way home from work last Friday. He, and his guests, and even his sponsors, were in rare form. It was one of the best shows I've heard him do. Highlights include:

Some lady he had on doing the standard immigration-scare thing, complete with, "They're sending us all their criminals," and,"There are Sharia courts in Texas!" It was crazy, but standard, stuff. The part that stood out to me was when she said, "This isn't like the last big wave of immigration, where we made those people into Americans. We've lost the ability to turn these people into Americans!" You dumb clam. The people you're talking about weren't "made" into Americans; they defined what it meant to be American. The whole thing put me in mind of that video of the Appalachian hickwitch on the four-wheeler saying, "What the hell kind of name is Barack Obama? That's not an American name." How far back do these people think they'd have to go to find a culture and surnames of purely Anglo-Saxon origin?

Then, there was Puppygate. This was amazing. Apparently, someone that works on Hannity's show is raising an assistance dog. I think she is raising the animal for a program that places assistance animals with injured veterans. Some caller who works with assistance dogs called in and chastised Hannity for bragging about how he was teaching the dog to jump up on people, and poo poo like that. He downplayed it. The woman who is raising the dog gets on the air, and basically rats out how Sean has been ruining this dog. Sean sort of defends himself for a minute, then says, "I only did it to prove to you that I have more control over the dog than you do." He then sort of brags about how alpha he is, because he can get the dog to do poo poo he isn't supposed to do, despite objections by the woman who is raising the dog. Then, another producer, or call screener, or whatever, comes on, and says, "You're really not a good person. You're a normal person." Sean, who has just admitted to loving with a service animal meant to assist the veterans he claims to love, just to prove that he can, says, "It's not that I'm not a good person..."

Finally, I heard the best ad I've heard in a long time (does not include the hilarious home-schooling ads I've been hearing, lately.) "Luxury sheets can cost around a thousand dollars. Not ours! Ours are only a couple hundred bucks! How do we do it? We eliminate the 800% markup..." It was hilarious. Who the gently caress has thousand-dollar sheets, who believes $200 sheets are some kind of steal, and who the hell thinks $200 -> $1,000 is an 800% markup?

It was a good day on Hannity.

The Larch posted:

Honestly I'm not even opposed to the idea of expanding hate crime protections to cover occupation but just giving it to police is dumb.

Blue lives matter, dude. Except for the 24-hour news coverage, the parades, the memorials, and the public spectacle funerals with 21-gun salutes, no one cares when bad things happen to our boys in blue. If a powerful and increasingly militarized armed organization with the authority to use deadly force doesn't need extra protection, I don't know who does.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The Larch posted:

I am, mostly because when you get down to it, "hate crime" occupies a virtually identical position as thoughtcrime; it's not the criminal activity you engaged in that you're being punished for, that's separate. Like TheDeadlyShoe said, it's just a sentence enhancer for holding the wrong beliefs while committing a crime. And that's beside the fact that, as with the earlier discussion of intent, it's virtually impossible to prove anyway unless the accused admits it.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Keeshhound posted:

I am, mostly because when you get down to it, "hate crime" occupies a virtually identical position as thoughtcrime; it's not the criminal activity you engaged in that you're being punished for, that's separate.

No, not really. Hate crimes are legislated the way they are because hate crimes impact communities differently than ordinary crimes. Hate crime legislation is about being honest about the fact that when the KKK burns a cross on the lawn of a black family that there are more victims than just the black family living at that house. Hate crimes legislation takes into account the fact that every member of that group in the community is also being terrorized.

Your concern trolling game is weak. Go read up on Wisconsin v. Mitchell. This poo poo was settled in 1993. Of particular interest to you would be Clarence Thomas' thoughts on this topic.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ErIog posted:

No, not really. Hate crimes are legislated the way they are because hate crimes impact communities differently than ordinary crimes. Hate crime legislation is about being honest about the fact that when the KKK burns a cross on the lawn of a black family that there are more victims than just the black family living at that house. Hate crimes legislation takes into account the fact that every member of that group in the community is also being terrorized.

Your concern trolling game is weak. Go read up on Wisconsin v. Mitchell. This poo poo was settled in 1993. Of particular interest to you would be Clarence Thomas' thoughts on this topic.

Well gee, I guess that wraps everything up. After all, legislation is only ever implemented one way. It's not like the Supreme Court ruled on R.A.V. v. City of St. Paul the year prior, striking down the city's case and ordinance for overreaching in it's conviction of a teenager for the exact infraction you're describing.

Nah, I must just be arguing in bad faith.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Opposes hate crime and speech laws.

Thinks Le Pen and Geert have some good ideas.

Checks out.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Centripetal Horse posted:

Who the gently caress has thousand-dollar sheets, who believes $200 sheets are some kind of steal, and who the hell thinks $200 -> $1,000 is an 800% markup?

Well if you don't know the difference between markup and margin and can think about them in your head, chances are if they used the actual markup percentage in the ad they'd confuse their target audience of people that willingly subject themselves to loving Hannity.

Also gently caress him forever for trying to mistrain a dog.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Keeshhound posted:

Well gee, I guess that wraps everything up. After all, legislation is only ever implemented one way. It's not like the Supreme Court ruled on R.A.V. v. City of St. Paul the year prior, striking down the city's case and ordinance for overreaching in it's conviction of a teenager for the exact infraction you're describing.

The case you're citing is an example of this debate already having happened. The courts also never said the conviction of the teenagers was an overreach. Breaking that law was only a misdemeanor, and the court pointed out that there were other fully-constitutional statutes the teens could have been convicted under.

What was at issue in that case was not that incident, but the law itself going up for judicial review. They decided that specific law hinged too much on unconstitutional content-based restrictions. The unanimous decision there lays out methods for lawmakers to use to achieve similar legislative impacts while abiding 1A.

Keeshhound posted:

Nah, I must just be arguing in bad faith.

You are. Wanting to argue about a SCOTUS case from 1992 that you know nothing about is dumb. If we were having this argument in 1992 then maybe I would give you the benefit of the doubt. However, it's 2016 and how to write hate crime laws that fall within the limits of the constitution is a settled matter. What helped settle it, in fact, was the very case you cited that you didn't bother to read!

So I'm not really sure what point you're making other than you really wanting to demonstrate that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to legislation in 2016.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ErIog posted:

The courts also never said the conviction of the teenagers was an overreach. Breaking that law was only a misdemeanor, and the court pointed out that there were other fully-constitutional statutes the teens could have been convicted under.

This is literally what I was talking about when you jumped on me?

I wasn't trying to say that I was right when I referred to R.A.V, just that I had a reason to make the argument that I did, and wasn't being contrary for it's own sake. It was late, and I clearly didn't articulate my position well, so let me try again:

You're right about Wisconsin v. Mitchell .

Your assessment of my motives for taking an outdated position is not.

Further, I apologize for my mistake, and for unintentionally spreading misinformation.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Goddammit, quote is not edit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Goddammit, quote is not edit.

But Taxation is Theft!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

While not Right Wing media, this is pretty loving cool from John Oliver's show

quote:

The debt-buying industry has lead to some unscrupulous practices among debt collectors and debt collection proceedings are clogging up courts across the country with lawsuits, the vast majority of which go unanswered. Many debt collectors also seem to have little respect for consumers and simply do whatever is necessary to make more money. So Oliver did the only logical thing and decided to get into the debt-buying business himself. He set up an organization called Central Asset Recovery Professionals (or CARP, for the bottom-feeding fish) and bought $14,922,261.76 of medical debt from over 9,000 people. And then he decided to give it all away in the biggest giveaway in television history, even managing to out-do Oprah Winfrey whose biggest giveaway totaled a mere $8 million.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxU...sYiF0P4SyzOGa5A

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Right-wing media seizing upon this as an attack on religion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/31/kathleen-taylor-religious-fundamentalism-mental-illness_n_3365896.html

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Centripetal Horse posted:

Finally, I heard the best ad I've heard in a long time (does not include the hilarious home-schooling ads I've been hearing, lately.) "Luxury sheets can cost around a thousand dollars. Not ours! Ours are only a couple hundred bucks! How do we do it? We eliminate the 800% markup..." It was hilarious. Who the gently caress has thousand-dollar sheets, who believes $200 sheets are some kind of steal, and who the hell thinks $200 -> $1,000 is an 800% markup?

I believe you'll find that 2 x 8 is 10, if you use the correct math.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHS-K7OuLAc

It's hard to get people that are suffering from such aggressive mental issues to admit they have a problem, this will obviously require significant funding and perhaps forced re-education.

It's the only way to be sure.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 6, 2016

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

That article is from 3 years ago. Why are people getting pissed off now?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Matt Walsh is either dead or ran out of ideas as he has been silent for 4 days on Twitter and Facebook

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

right wingers are usually late to the game

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

My guess is that it somehow got referenced or recirculated... or they just don't pay much attention to scholarly works, and only just now imagined the connection between cults and Sundee Schoo.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Matt Walsh is either dead or ran out of ideas as he has been silent for 4 days on Twitter and Facebook

please be #1

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Three years late hopefully means forever three years behind to stop it. It'd be really fitting for mega churches to eventually treated the same way they treated homosexuals and then they can really learn how much America cares about the disabled or the mentally ill.