Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

Going full multimedia like that only makes me think that we'll get a poo poo f2p phone game full of IAPs to make it even remotely playable, with a half-assed anime that only exists to sell said game. The fact that Digimon seemed to fix itself on appealing to an older demographic to survive, while this basically screams "going for children who have no idea how money works so they'll buy everything", doesn't even remotely help.

It might just be me being overly negative though. I also had no expectations whatsoever of Tri, and that sure proved me wrong.

You know the purpose of pretty much all anime is to sell merchandise and manga and poo poo, right? Hell, it's where most of the profit comes from. That's why they all have sponsors bankrolling their shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.digimonworld.org/2016/05/d-ark-ver-15th-card-set-includes.html

Neat

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
first pv for Confession

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4d4i7j_digimon-adventure-tri-3-kokuhaku-confesion_shortfilms

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Oh no... :ohdear:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I thought Izzy was supposed to be working on looking more fashionable. Those overalls are dinky as gently caress.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nahxela posted:

I thought Izzy was supposed to be working on looking more fashionable. Those overalls are dinky as gently caress.

They were on the selection when he showed off his program in Reunion, so this is what he assumes is fashionable i guess.

Can't wait for him to walk around in the crab outfit.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Okay, someone tell me why the new Digimon protagonist is Yuya Sakaki.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
When Pokemon fans want to complain about new designs, they say it looks like Digimon, when Digimon fans want to complain about new designs, they say it looks like Yu-Gi-Oh

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So are we getting a team of four color-coded app digimon for this guy or what?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Raserys posted:

When Pokemon fans want to complain about new designs, they say it looks like Digimon, when Digimon fans want to complain about new designs, they say it looks like Yu-Gi-Oh

The difference is that Pokemon fans shouldn't be complaining about superior designs. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's a PV for the Applimonsters game now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WenTtyzo164

The game seems to be a four-vs-four, but who cares, it'll never leave Japan. The important thing is what it shows for the anime, namely, a DigiXros-like mechanic known as "App Gattai" (App Fusion). Furthermore, the four Digimon shown in the tweet earlier are now named: Gashimon (note: I am not sure on this one), Navimon, Dokamon and Musimon. The App Gattai between Gashimon and Navimon is named DoGashimon, and looks really cool.

I also like the super deformed Beelzebumon-like Digimon leading the enemy team. I wish we got info on it.

EDIT: there's another video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEcbj4NkNwo

It shows a lot of stuff, and now I'm a lot more interested in Appmons. And in a subtitled version, if possible. Also I was wrong, it isn't Gashimon, it's Gatchmon (fittingly for the app series, since it probably comes from gashapon or gacha, which seems to be common in these kind of games).

EDIT 2: oh my god they're going all out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziCqydJOY80

You wanted toys? Have all the toys. Also Hackmon comes with Protecmon, irony. It also contains something that is undeniably a Digimon and gives me hope for this series, this guy:

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 9, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That isn't the trailer for the game, it's for the Cardass machines.

anyway, here's a plot summary:

quote:

Everyone in the world uses smartphone apps. But inside them lurks unknown creatures called "Appli Monsters," or "Appmon." The Appmon are AI lifeforms with the ability to think and act, and exist in the boundary between the human world and digital space to allow people and the system to interface and function. But in the vast sea of the internet, the "last boss AI" Leviathan takes control of the Appmon with a virus and begins hacking every system, thus starting to control the human world from the world of the net. The protagonist, Haru Shinkai, is led to acquire the Appli Drive, and uses it to materialize Gacchimon, a search app monster. What is the secret hidden within the Appli Drive? What is the mysterious field that exists between net world where the Appmon exist, and the real world? What is the "App Combine" that can combine two Appmons? What is Leviathan's true goal?

quote:

Series Director will be Gou Koga. Perhaps best known as the series director for DokiDoki Pretty Cure.
Series Composition will be Youichi Kato. Most notably the series composer for Yokai Watch.
The character designer is Kenichi Ohnuki. Probably most notable to us is that he did the character designs for Gundam Build Fighters.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
TBF, those are still games. They just happen to live in an arcade/department store.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziCqydJOY80
The names of the appmon shown so far are:

Gatchmon
Navimon
Nagatchmon
Dokamon
Dogatchmon
Cameramon
Musimon
Recomon
Perorimon
Hackmon (not the same as the one you're thinking of)
Protecmon
Roplamon (presumably short for role play, pronounced roh-play. Looks like an RPG app maybe?)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I gotta say that making them so directly based on specific apps is probably a bad idea. It limits the designs anr makes it way too "topical" and even more easily dated.

If these things really are different than Digimon, I wonder how they can use the old characters.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Everybody liked Angbirmon until he sold out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geostomp posted:

If these things really are different than Digimon, I wonder how they can use the old characters.

Also Digisoul put more images with new stuff, including this one that shows some interesting dubbing problems down the line:

And this one, that shows a lot of Appmon Chips:

Row 1 - DoGatchmon, Dosukomon, Mailmon, Roleplaymon, Scopemon, Dosukomon, DoGatchmon
Row 2 - Gatchmon, Navimon, Callmon, Mailmon, Dougamon, Messemon, Bairamon
Row 3 - Cameramon, Hackmon (2016 ver.), Watchmon, Weathermon, Roleplaymon, Sukashimon, Dressmon
Row 4 - Musimon, Dokamon, Reviewmon, Perorimon, Shotmon, Dougamon (Virus), Messemon (Virus)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Geostomp posted:

I gotta say that making them so directly based on specific apps is probably a bad idea. It limits the designs anr makes it way too "topical" and even more easily dated.

what "specific apps" are they based on? They're all "bland name product" versions of various app programs; it's "Navimon", not "Google Maps Mon".

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/741189661519978496
https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/741189647032852480
https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/741189632038211584

Meet Meicoomon's evolution, メ イ ク ラ ッ ク モ ン, which translates Meikurakkumon, or Meicrackmon. Her special technique is Berserk Sinking (バ ー サ ク シ ン キ ン グ), and its possible evolutions are Mastemon and Ofanimon.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 10, 2016

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I'm guessing those aren't the canonical evolutions for him since we need to avoid spoilers for Digimon Tri.

Gotta say though that I dig Meicrackmon's design. Looking forward to eventually seeing his true Mega form.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm guessing those aren't the canonical evolutions for him since we need to avoid spoilers for Digimon Tri.

Gotta say though that I dig Meicrackmon's design. Looking forward to eventually seeing his true Mega form.

Her

Meicrackmon's design is distinctly female.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Her

Meicrackmon's design is distinctly female.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

His special technique is Berserk Sinking

Might want to fix this then. :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Touché

Fixed :v:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
What's funny is that I began suspecting that Meicrackmon was the actual Ultimate/Perfect Level form as the form shown at the end of Determination was a little too simplistic a transition to be the actual next Level.

The only one that can even compare are Gotsumon -> Icemon -> Meteormon and Data Squad already mocked that:

And yes I'm technically cheating by using a gif from Savers but the dub had fun with this as well.

Anyway, good to see that I was right about that form just being Meicoomon mid-Digivolution to Meicrackmon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Meicrackmon is a ridiculously terrible name

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Meicrackmon is a ridiculously terrible name

I don't think so if you know the etymology behind it: It's a portmanteau of Maine Coon, which romanized as Mein Kūn in Japan and is the basis for her previous forms' name as well, and software cracking.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That doesn't make the name not bad.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It just makes it sound like meikumon got into some cocaine.

Edit: Thinking about it, it makes me think of the terrrible digimon nicknames from ages past, that people who didn't understand japanese would call untranslated guys.

"Psychotic Mode" and things like that.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 11, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Meic Rackmon :v:

According to With the Will, Meicoomon in Next 0rder is indeed the same one as Tri's and the Meicrackmon DLC actually has some spoilers about tri.

At the end of the DLC Meicrackmon reveals that when she returned to her world, was unable to reunite with her partner, because Meiko was trapped by an organization known as "White Fang". The organization trapped Meicrackmon, sealed her true powers and forced her to spread the virus, and when Meicrackmon was able to regain her consciousness and tried to oppose "White Fang", they banish her from her world with a special program they have, that allow them to travel between the parallel worlds. She said that is like the -next 0rder- world has "chosen" her, as it was a coincidence she have returned to that world to be saved again by Shiki. She thanks Shiki and the others and say she is going to return to her homeworld, and this time she will save Meiko and defeat "White Fang". The guys want to help her rescue Meiko, but Meicrackmon says they cannot go with her to her world, since the only way Meicrackmon is able to return in the first place is trough the feelings that connect her to Meiko, and disappear.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm at a convention attending a panel with Robert Axelrod. Turns out his original audition for Armadillomon was the most :effort: thing he'd ever done in his life and he was shocked he got the role.

On the other hand, his earlier role of Wizardmon was handed to him specifically for his vocal range

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jivjov posted:

I'm at a convention attending a panel with Robert Axelrod. Turns out his original audition for Armadillomon was the most :effort: thing he'd ever done in his life and he was shocked he got the role.

On the other hand, his earlier role of Wizardmon was handed to him specifically for his vocal range

From what I can remember, he kind of had that bemused "...wait, why the hell am I even doing this?" tone for most of 02 as Armadillomon anyway :allears: On the other hand, the man basically made Wizardmon as a character. I can't imagine how much punch his death would have lost if it were any but Axelrod giving him that gentle, almost fragile voice in Adventure.

My favorite Robert Axelrod story however was from a video I saw of him at a Power Rangers con a few years back. He said he had a hell of a time trying to voice Lord Zedd because the suit actor they cast for Zedd was a little bit of a drunk and tended to overact physically, so he had to spit out his dialog like he was voicing Speedy Gonzales just to keep up with him some times.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, he did say that the suit actor did not play ball with a lot of intended deliveries

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There was rumors during the peak of PR's popularity (which also coincided with Zedd as a regular character) that the studio was bailing Axelrod out of jail for [insert charge involving controlled/intoxicating substances]. It was something somebody said in IRC, maybe as a joke, but I remember who said and it was someone who probably would know.

TV gossip in the mid-90s period of the internet where many of today's credible sources didn't have an online presence was weird. Imagine a world where kids growing up around Los Angeles seem to always have all the inside info. It was basically "my uncle who works at Nintendo" style stuff, except with pictures of the sets and actors backstage as evidence.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 12, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be kind of fair to Ed O'Neil, the Zedd suit must have been hell to work in. I would not blame the guy for getting drunk a bit to cope.

Still a dick move to not play ball with the voice actor, but it speaks to Axelrod's talent that the dude not only salvaged it, but made it one of the best kids villains ever.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Edited/clarified: I was talking about Axelrod. Never heard anything about Neil, though I thought it was interesting that when they finally "killed off" Zedd they literally took the suit off him and let him and Rita's US actress appear as themselves.

Maybe because as a kid I was used to Star Wars, but it never occurred to me how difficult it can be to deliver lines to fit with somebody's spastic motions. I figured that at least for the US produced stuff they do the "David Prowse reading Darth Vader's lines" thing.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 12, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Some guy is claiming this was one of Omegamon's initial designs, anyone knows if is true?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Some guy is claiming this was one of Omegamon's initial designs, anyone knows if is true?

It would explain why one of Omnimon's alternate names is supposedly GaruruGreymon.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Naturally, someone as important as the "series director" going back to the original virtual pet would dress like a football player as part of a public persona gimmick. He's not just "some guy on the internet" so I don't see any reason to doubt him, though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Craptacular! posted:

Edited/clarified: I was talking about Axelrod. Never heard anything about Neil, though I thought it was interesting that when they finally "killed off" Zedd they literally took the suit off him and let him and Rita's US actress appear as themselves.

Maybe because as a kid I was used to Star Wars, but it never occurred to me how difficult it can be to deliver lines to fit with somebody's spastic motions. I figured that at least for the US produced stuff they do the "David Prowse reading Darth Vader's lines" thing.

Man the whole Zordon Wave being so inconsistent with what it did to villains hit by it always kinda bugged me as a kid(not to mention once they stopped having the monsters be magical homonculi it got kinda awkward having the Rangers be so gung-ho about blowing them up, outside of seasons like Lightspeed Rescue where they were literal demons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's... A whole thread for that kind of discussion, though I never go there. I haven't been able to enjoy toku shows, original recipe or with anglo seasoning, for about twelve years now.

It is kind of funny though that you can't put three adult US Digimon fans (or retired fans, or whatever) in a room without at least one of them knowing who White_Tiger and MAXMOUZE were. Small community.