Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Montegoraon posted:

Overlord, the manga. Why does it look so much better than the anime? (Latest chapter has Shalltear's true vampire form)

Both do a decent job of following the description of the form, but the anime made the mistake of showing it completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is there any hope in getting a second season sooner or later?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Well, it is Madhouse, so... Probably unlikely.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There's plenty of LN content, it's just a question of whether there's any interest.

Log Horizon got a season 2, so who knows.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Vengarr posted:

There's plenty of LN content, it's just a question of whether there's any interest.

Log Horizon got a season 2, so who knows.

I wish log horizon had not gotten a season 2.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Serious Frolicking posted:

I wish log horizon had not gotten a season 2.

I know exactly what you mean.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I just want Mamare to stop loving up his taxes.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...

Grouchio posted:

Is there any hope in getting a second season sooner or later?

I'm really worried that the Overlord production committee is satisfied with the results as it, I mean the light novels got reprinted how many times now?

Annointed posted:

I just want Mamare to stop loving up his taxes.

At least fire the guy who did them for him if he had one in the first place.
Has any group touched the presumed short story pages that come with each printed volume of the manga?

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Hey, watched Overlord in the last couple days because I played too many MMO/MUDs and like skeletons and thought it was okay enough to watch a second season (if it gets one). "I miss my friends" is a surprisingly good enough hook to follow the exploits of God-Emperor Murder Skeleton. Hoping they might at some point in the future explain what the hell is going on or if this is all some kind of Jacob's Ladder poo poo where Momonga's living out a mental life even though he's dying on a stretcher in Vietnam in a computer chair in Tokyo or something.

edit: holy poo poo the last post in here was in February

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ellbent posted:

Hey, watched Overlord in the last couple days because I played too many MMO/MUDs and like skeletons and thought it was okay enough to watch a second season (if it gets one). "I miss my friends" is a surprisingly good enough hook to follow the exploits of God-Emperor Murder Skeleton. Hoping they might at some point in the future explain what the hell is going on or if this is all some kind of Jacob's Ladder poo poo where Momonga's living out a mental life even though he's dying on a stretcher in Vietnam in a computer chair in Tokyo or something.

It's pretty doubtful it'll get a new season any time soon.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ellbent posted:

The light novels are translated into English here if you want to go past where the anime stopped. I wouldn't rule out a second season in the future, especially if interest in the series remains high (sales of the novels spiked hard when the anime was airing), but it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

It's a shame, the first three volumes (which was what the anime covered) were the most conventional of the bunch. Everything afterwards is way more interesting and off-the-rails.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
So, volume 10 is out and a Japanese->Chinese->English translation is proceeding. Let's see how long it takes Ainz to unknowingly say or do something stupid.

quote:

He picked up Mare as he approached, and placed him on his left thighbone.

“Ah, um, Ai-Ainz-sama, how, how about me?”

As Ainz wondered whether he should get them a cushion of some sort, it was Albedo’s turn to speak nervously, but it was too embarrassing to let a grown woman sit on his thigh -- his thighbone.

“No, that… I can’t.”

“But, but, the two of them…”

“...Albedo, these two are just children. You’re an adult, are you not?”

For a moment, he thought he saw something behind Albedo -- a flash of light that was the physical manifestation of the blow she had just suffered. Although he felt a little sorry for her, embarrassment was embarrassment. Besides, if he actually followed through, it would be sexual harassment.

Oh, Ainz, you almighty moron.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

*licks lips threadbumpfully*

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Montegoraon posted:

So, volume 10 is out and a Japanese->Chinese->English translation is proceeding. Let's see how long it takes Ainz to unknowingly say or do something stupid.

Oh, Ainz, you almighty moron.

You really should post links when you find something like that.

Found this myself after a quick google:

https://www.reddit.com/r/overlord/comments/4lrf9e/overlord_vol10_prologue/

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

*licks lips threadbumpfully*

After having started on reading the Yen Press publication of the light novel in loving English, I don't think I can stomach any more fan-translation of this material. Besides, the books are really cool-looking if you take off their sleeves.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mordaedil posted:

After having started on reading the Yen Press publication of the light novel in loving English, I don't think I can stomach any more fan-translation of this material. Besides, the books are really cool-looking if you take off their sleeves.

Fan translations and general story quality are why I dropped SAO.

Professional stuff tends to be better, unfortunately.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I actually just watched this anime on hulu because I saw a skeleton and it was dope. I tried reading the manga but it feels like a cliffs notes version of the light novel cause it jumps around without explanation a lot so if I hadn't seen the anime first I'd have been lost.

Anyway Ainz owns and there should be more games where I can be a Skeleton Wizard. Guess I'll play some Hyrule Warriors as Wizzro or something, that's close.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If you mod Neverwinter Nights to include the Player's Resource Consortium, you can multiclass into a Lich at level 11.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I actually just watched this anime on hulu because I saw a skeleton and it was dope. I tried reading the manga but it feels like a cliffs notes version of the light novel cause it jumps around without explanation a lot so if I hadn't seen the anime first I'd have been lost.

Anyway Ainz owns and there should be more games where I can be a Skeleton Wizard. Guess I'll play some Hyrule Warriors as Wizzro or something, that's close.

Yeah the manga doesent bother to explain a lot and skips a lot more. Its mostly good for the art and funny faces.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Men of the Re-Estize Kingdom:

Brain Unglaus
Gazef Stronoff
Climb
Zanack Valreon Igana Ryle Vaiself
Barbro Andrean Ield Ryle Vaiself
Ranpossa III
Elias Brandt Dale Raeven
Nfirea Bareare
Pluton Ainzach
Panasolei Gruze Day Rettenmaier

And now, given half of a chapter to himself, we have a new character:

Phillip. That's his entire name, I just want a big black bar.

:effort:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Gave up on the LN fan translations after about two chapters, switched to the manga once the anime ran out. Someone wanna spoil me on Ainz's secret plan for a not-terrible resolution to this lizard man arc? Because it's hard to see this as anything but committing genocide for shits and giggles.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Rangpur posted:

Gave up on the LN fan translations after about two chapters, switched to the manga once the anime ran out. Someone wanna spoil me on Ainz's secret plan for a not-terrible resolution to this lizard man arc? Because it's hard to see this as anything but committing genocide for shits and giggles.

I loved the Lizardmen arc. It's pretty divisive though, some people think its the worst arc and others (me) think its one of the best. I really liked the ending too.

Still holding out hope for a Lizardmen Heroes OVA or something but I'm not holding my breath. Although Volume 10 apparently sold gangbusters in Japan.

It ends with everyone surviving

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rangpur posted:

Big ol' spoilers.

The entire thing is an elaborate plan by Ainz to see if the leaders of Nazarick are capable of learning, adapting, and evolving like real people when they used to just be NPCs and monsters. It's basically a big test to see if Cocytus can make decisions on the fly based on what he thinks and feels instead of just robotically following Ainz's commands. It ends with Cocytus deciding that he respects the lizardmen and effectively pleading for their lives to Ainz because they put up such a good fight despite having absolutely no chance of beating him, which surprises/delights Ainz because this proves that Cocytus(and by extension, the rest of the Nazarick bosses) isn't just an NPC anymore. The lizardmen are then basically conscripted into the Nazarick fold and the dead major lizardmen are resurrected.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So does Ainz ever realize that being a huge jerk and letting Demiurge be a huger jerk is taking the easy way out?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a real shame the manga for this is monthly and spends too much panel space on battle scenes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

So does Ainz ever realize that being a huge jerk and letting Demiurge be a huger jerk is taking the easy way out?

He eventually becomes a real jerk lich alright.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

He eventually becomes a real jerk lich alright.

Ah, so he never grows as a person or learns anything. Good to hear I was justified in dropping it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So what's the furthest the story has gotten and could someone give a quick summary of it, I'm curious but not enough to read light novels and the manga is monthly and plodding (even if the lizardmen are rad)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The last part of book nine that is the furthest I've read now that I'm waiting for official translations, Ainz makes a deal with the Child Emperor and organises a big war between the three nations of the Empire, the Kingdom and the Tomb of Nazarick. Forgive me for not remembering their names. Empire has fewer soldiers, but they are well-trained, the Kingdom has the most soldiers but they are basically drafted from farmlands and the like. War comes, both sides show up on each side of a swamp and Ainz as a spellcaster is given the honor of beginning the battle with a single spell. He starts coming to the final conclusion that there are none or cannot be any player characters in this world, so he's free to do as he wishes and promptly summons:

A bunch of these fuckers except in epic shadowy form, right in the middle of the enemy army. He roll 1d4 and summons four of them. They tear the enemy army apart by literally falling all over them causing massive panics. He decides he wants to do this close up and call one of them to him and his Empire allies shits their pants so hard they break formation and end up trampling their own friends to death in pure horror. He laughs and jumps on top of the abomination and rides it into battle.

There he meets Brain, Gazef and Climb and is really willing to let them join his fun party, but they don't quite find it as jolly as he does, so Gazef does the honorable thing of challenging him to mortal combat so maybe Climb can grow a little bit. Ainz offer to raise him from death if he dies, but he refuses as it'd complicate things for the king. So he dies and I am not sure exactly what Climb or Brain could learn from a finger of death spell other than don't melee a caster with death spells.

And then Ainz conquers the frontier town as a demon army and uses his alter ego to make the population complacant by having him admit to everyone that he wouldn't stand a chance going all out. Watch as Albedo nearly fucks everything up. Watch as Albedo turns into a bit of a psycho because she loves Momonga, not Ainz Ooal Gown.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ah, so he never grows as a person or learns anything. Good to hear I was justified in dropping it.

He's learned plenty. Like the best way to sacrifice human armies to the dark gods :unsmigghh: :getin:

We do really need to start moving towards whatever treacherous bullshit Albedo is cooking up though, it's the only obvious source of drama and conflict in the story at the moment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he is the dark god in that setting. a guy gaining absolute power and losing his humanity and deciding to kill everyone just because he can is like the least interesting outcome imaginable. worse, it is lazy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So he literally just summons summons a bunch of shubnigguraths to ruin everyone's day? Great.

Is there any sign of the series winding down or finishing, everything I've heard about it is that it's kinda boring with no real threat ever presenting itself against him and he steamrolled anyone who gets uppity.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
cant they ever give the overpowered main character a proper rival or a foe? someone who can go toe-to-toe with him on their terms, someone who can become a proper foil

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would be fine if he lacked an external enemy if he had ever really fought internally. all those potential inner conflicts were resolved when ainz decided to just kinda go with the flow.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

So he literally just summons summons a bunch of shubnigguraths to ruin everyone's day? Great.

Is there any sign of the series winding down or finishing, everything I've heard about it is that it's kinda boring with no real threat ever presenting itself against him and he steamrolled anyone who gets uppity.

The setting is one where the humans are the weakest race if I recall correctly, so I think the next step is for Ainz to go challenge the real powers of the setting, which I don't think is going to anywhere nearly as easy as so far.

Besides, the story is peppered with smaller scenarios and things that make it still fairly entertaining and interesting to read and if you liked the Lizardfolk storyline, you'd love the story involving the Carne village and when it focuses on Enri, a far more complicated character than Ainz, whom even Ainz is forced(don't read this choice of words pendantically) to respect in some capacity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ainz is the strongest dude! but what if there was a dude who was stronger by 1 level?????

as a connoisseur of poorly written juvenile power fantasies, i gotta say that doesnt really grab me.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ainz's low-detail grumpy face is probably my favorite thing in the manga tbh

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's definitely bad that we've reached Volume 10 and we still don't know what the central conflict of the story is. The corrupting influence of power? The need to let go of the past and move on? All of the themes set up in volume 1 and 2 have basically been ignored in favor of Guardian hijinks and peoples' asses getting stoved in.

Still a fun ride though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
For me, the big appeal of the series is taking me back to the days when I used to play Neverwinter Nights on Persistant World servers and we'd all have different factions, overpowered guilds and gear and we had people from all over the world play at the same time and some played as the good guys and others played as the bad guys and the big thing on the order of the day was spionage on the other guilds plans so we could have large conflicts, with the bad guys often only having one guy confront an army of good guys and somehow actually pull out a win because of powerful equipment he had earned through DM questing.

For me, much like Ainz, I like to delve into nostalgie of a time where I once played as the bad guy and remember the friends I had once made and of the successes we had. And now all I have left to play with are the memories of those friends in an otherwise empty world where there is no challenge anymore, no big conflicts, only NPCs that amount to nothing more than insects.

• Locked thread