Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjderouin
May 21, 2007
First paint job with an airbrush. Still got a lot to learn but a strong first step.

HG Gunpla Starter Set RX-78-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Dumb question time: What's the best way to get rid of safety nubs on v-fins and command horns?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Dumb question time: What's the best way to get rid of safety nubs on v-fins and command horns?

Sanding sticks. And they're easy to make: popsicle sticks + superglue + sandpaper. Start at a pretty coarse grit and go up from there.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Finished HGUC Gouf Revive

The plastic in this kit was much more rubbery then the Dom I did before it, which I assume is due to it being really new. It made timing and sanding stuff way easier.

go home zogok, you're drunk

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Kuvo posted:

Finished HGUC Gouf Revive

The plastic in this kit was much more rubbery then the Dom I did before it, which I assume is due to it being really new. It made timing and sanding stuff way easier.

go home zogok, you're drunk

Well, that does it. I need to stop putting off getting that Gouf.

It sounds like the plastic is more like the IBO kits. That stuff is super easy to clean up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Suzaku posted:

Well, that does it. I need to stop putting off getting that Gouf.

It sounds like the plastic is more like the IBO kits. That stuff is super easy to clean up.

You should check out the Prototype Gouf as well and compare the two. That kit is great except for the side skirts. For some reason the front panel of the skirts are not attached to the crotch but to the rear side skirts, so they tend to fall off a lot.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

rjderouin posted:

First paint job with an airbrush. Still got a lot to learn but a strong first step.

HG Gunpla Starter Set RX-78-2

you may want to fill in the seam lines next time. That's one of the pro's of airbrushing a kit, it makes hiding seam lines once you'd filled them way easier.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I clip as much as I safely can with my cutters then sand.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Barnes & Noble is offering a 20 percent discount w/ free express shipping on a single online-order item for the next couple of days - code is BNLOVEDAD:

quote:

For each customer, this coupon can be redeemed only once per billing address online at BN.com.
This coupon is valid from June 13, 2016 at 12:01am to June 15, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time.
This coupon entitles you to 20% off one (1) eligible item in your order, while supplies last. The discount will be applied to the most expensive eligible item in the order - not the entire purchase - and will be deducted after all other eligible discounts, including (if applicable) the standard Member discount, are applied.

Not a lot new in their online store, though the 1/100 Gusion Rebake is there for $54 pre-discount and there's also a savagely expensive 1/500 Argo/Yamato that might be worth the while.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part 3 of HLJ's sale is up and it includes Gundam kits :retrogames:.

gently caress me they're selling PG unicorns for 13k yen, I got mine from 1999 for 18k :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Ignimbrite posted:

gently caress me they're selling PG unicorns for 13k yen, I got mine from 1999 for 18k :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

And the Banshee Norn for 13.8k yen, That was in the 1999 bargin sale for 17k. so its a pretty good deal.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I talked to one of mechanical engineers who designs plastic parts for manufacturing, and I finally know why my Wing Gundam's leg exploded from a tiny drop of solvent. Even when a plastic is advertised as being resistant to a certain solvent, that assumes that the final product is not under load. If a plastic part is exposed to a solvent and exceeds a critical stress (either from external loading or internal stresses from manufacturing), it will suddenly become vulnerable to the solvent and may crack, craze, or become brittle. The part of my Wing Gundam's leg that shattered was definitely under external loading (it was part of the skeleton with the sliding parts, so it was under a tiny bit of tension), so that helps explain why it was vulnerable to the solvent in the gundam marker eraser. The internal stresses in a part can be relieved by heat treatment, but that can cause parts to deform, and is hard to do with overmolded parts (since the overmolded plastic will necessarily have a different glass transition temp as the base plastic)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ignimbrite posted:

ugh the Norn and the Hyaku Shiki 2.0 have been on my short list so of course they''re the ones on sale.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The 1/100 graze is a good kit with a few small hangups but all is forgiven cuz I have my ground type Graze now.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I finished the GM Sniper II I've been painting and I only lost the green eye piece and the important knee piece for attaching the thigh to the lower leg so I've got a one legged GM with his visor down, but otherwise I'm happy enough with it. I learned a lot and am hype as heck to start on the Jegan!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

I finished the GM Sniper II I've been painting and I only lost the green eye piece and the important knee piece for attaching the thigh to the lower leg so I've got a one legged GM with his visor down, but otherwise I'm happy enough with it. I learned a lot and am hype as heck to start on the Jegan!

Replace his leg with a pegleg rifle, make the visor ridiculous, name him the GuMp

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I got mail!

Ordered the Hazel before I used a bunch of parts from it in Gundam Breaker 3. Been looking forward to them all. Also came with really fancy promo stuff for some reason.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
'sup Gundam thread? It's been a while. Sadly, my camera is Kaput, but I've started in on a new project and I know how much you guys love WIPs!

I doubt anyone will have trouble identifying the theme I'm going for with this Kshatriya...

but just in case, maybe this helps?

My apologies for the terrible quality cellphone pics. I'm looking into options for replacing my camera.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Evil Future Coop's Mech

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man, if I can get away with posting my lovely pictures, your 'bad camera' shots are like mana from heaven. They look pretty drat crisp and clear, at least you have innovations like 'lighting' and 'a photo station'. :v:

Seriously though, that is a drat good custom. Wish I could hand paint details like that.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
In the spirit of misspelled Caribbean islands, it's time for me to start the Gundam Jamaika.

It's going to be two-tone black and charcoal gray, Vallejo light green, and kit yellow or appropriately colored paint for the yellow to represent the Jamaican flag.

The frame was painted with a base coat of Mr. Color GX Ueno Black as a gloss black base. This serves as the shine enhancer for Mr. Metal Color Iron, which buffs to a really awesome shine. It's not really visible in the picture but holy crap, the effect is great.

I topcoated the metal color parts with Testors Model Masters Metallizer sealer. I wanted something that didn't effect the sheen, and this was the logical choice since I couldn't quite ID a topcoat that wasn't some degree of flat or gloss. It does a fantastic job, and if you have bare-metal painted parts, get some of this stuff. Local hobby shops have it or you can get it online.

The on/off symbol was done as an enamel pin wash with Model Masters Guards Red enamel. The ones on the knees will get the same treatment.

The piston housings were painted and buffed Mr. Metal Color Steel, the pistons themselves Chrome Silver. I'm not super satisfied with them but I might wait for the finished product.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How are the IBO 1/100 kits? Definitely thinking of either the Graze or Schwalbe Graze

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How are the IBO 1/100 kits? Definitely thinking of either the Graze or Schwalbe Graze

they're not MG quality, but they're still good.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MJP posted:

In the spirit of misspelled Caribbean islands, it's time for me to start the Gundam Jamaika.

A new challenger enters the Gundam Fights! From Neo-Jamaica, Ganja Gundam!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

A new challenger enters the Gundam Fights! From Neo-Jamaica, Ganja Gundam!

I've never smoked anything in my life so I gotta find a local stoner that can help me roll a spliff around the shaft of the Barbatos mace. I'll paint the head metallic green.

I need to get off my rear end and find a way to scratchbuild a shtreimel hat and make a chain flail dreidel for the Gundam Fighter from Neo-Israel, Talmud Gundam.

I even have the cheapo BB Senshi Satan Gundam because it has tiny-rear end Stars of David, and I might actually stand a chance at casting duplicates since they're fairly simple single-piece molds.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I assembled this z'gok over the weekend, and idk what to do with it, but yesterday I painted the claws and I think they look okay???

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They look pretty good to me! I love my RG Zgok but the white plastic color is definitely kind of stand-out in a bad way; maybe I'l take this as inspiration to use them as my airbrush test (once I finally finish building this drat paint booth).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Man, do Barnes and Nobles just not ca-

quote:

Everything is sent to us prebuilt by our distributor now. We did however have to build the Fenice. It was a goddamned nightmare. Instead of sending us an unopened box, corporate sent us the runners and the manual in a card board box with some other poo poo we had to assemble. Some of the runners were broken, others were missing. I ended up almost getting fired because I told them to either send us a new one to assemble or they wouldn't have their display. Luckily my store manager stepped in and took the hit for me. She told me to just open one from our stock and build it.

God I hate working for this company.

Apparently all of the pics of horrible builds got so much attention that Bluefin just sends them pre-built ones now.

Hence why SD Unicorn and HGUC Gundam Revive there look alright.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I did some tests and settled on the GM05 gundam marker as looking the best. It would have turned out better if I had properly prepped the surfaces and then handpainted with a brush (these small pieces are annoying to paint with the markers, since you can't hold them that securely). The paint in the GM05 dried in a weird way that seemed to enhance the finish more than it should have, and the end result looked great despite my clumsy painting.

I tested out clear gloss coating on a few of the claws, with mixed results. My rattlecan Krylon gloss acrylic made the finish look slightly worse. Handpainting with Pledge floor care (lol) looked pretty okay. I think I'll leave the rest of them without a top coat, though, since even the Pledge softened the definition of the contours in the claws.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Is that the Barnes and Nobles in Clifton NJ, or does every B&N have the same display? I actually went there today for the novelty of getting a gundam kit from a generic retailer store (got the burning gundam and the blue bearguy).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They're all pretty much the same display.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That big centerpiece model is asking me to go at it with a hobby knife. Even my Gouf Prototype I made when I started doesn't look that bad.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Wait, they made B&N employees build the kits themselves? That's not just idiotic, it borders on the sadistic.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Woe to the poor sap who had to build Fenice.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Bimmi posted:

Wait, they made B&N employees build the kits themselves? That's not just idiotic, it borders on the sadistic.

They apparently didn't even provide proper equipment.

Which explains a lot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MJP posted:

I've never smoked anything in my life so I gotta find a local stoner that can help me roll a spliff around the shaft of the Barbatos mace. I'll paint the head metallic green.

I need to get off my rear end and find a way to scratchbuild a shtreimel hat and make a chain flail dreidel for the Gundam Fighter from Neo-Israel, Talmud Gundam.

I even have the cheapo BB Senshi Satan Gundam because it has tiny-rear end Stars of David, and I might actually stand a chance at casting duplicates since they're fairly simple single-piece molds.

If you do that submit the pictures to http://gundampilotssmokingweed.tumblr.com/ . It's not as active as it used to be but she'll still put stuff up.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well my plan for painting went down the drain because my airbrush trigger kept getting stuck in the down position. Then it dawned on me that I haven't done a full disassembled cleaning in over a year. I think I went through like 7 q tips cleaning the drat thing.

remember to clean your airbrushes kids.

Slanderer posted:

I assembled this z'gok over the weekend, and idk what to do with it, but yesterday I painted the claws and I think they look okay???

Huh I'm painting(or trying to paint) my mg char z'gok as well. We had the same idea of making the claws metallic looking.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 16, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bimmi posted:

You know you'd still do it if it was your hobby and your job. Poor buggers who don't do gunpla would be screwed but you could carve out a market for yourself. Blue table painting for gunpla

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, I'm thinking about the folks who aren't into this kind of thing at all. Modeling is one of those hobbies that I imagine would be sheer torture for anyone not totally on board with that particular idea of "fun." Plus, it's practically guaranteeing a substandard and unattractive display for your product. Just dumb all around.

edit: Really, it needn't be that difficult: Bluefin should be reaching out to local modelers to build their display stock in exchange for discounts or whatever, and sending the stores simple photographic style sheets for each item so they can be posed correctly. Boom, fixed, hire me.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bimmi posted:

edit: Really, it needn't be that difficult: Bluefin should be reaching out to local modelers to build their display stock in exchange for discounts or whatever, and sending the stores simple photographic style sheets for each item so they can be posed correctly. Boom, fixed, hire me.

No that's way over complicating it. Just have a guy at bluefin build them and send them out. Involving random local Gunpla fans is guaranteed to be a shitshow