Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

Finished my first "proper" model. Got into building the Star Wars Bandai figure kits and was too frightened to really dabble in the vehicles as I was worried about painting and such. Then they announced the A-wing kit and I decided that and lurking this thread to double down on modelling and got an airbrush and gradually built up my modelling kit when I started running into things I didn't know how to do.

Forgive the weird staging of the pic, tough nailing focus and the only good light was right by my window.

If you're interested in the rough process -

Primed red parts black with Vallejo primer

Primed white parts white with Vallejo primer.

Red is I think what Vallejo call Rot red? The white is white/grey

Pilot was hand painted.

2 coats of Vallejo gloss varnish

Transfers - praise be to micro sol

1 coat of Vallejo gloss

Then was an AK interactive enamel panel liner wash designed for snow/white vehicles. The whole wash process was terrifying as I really liked where I was prior to it but it ended up working out really well.

Finished up with a satin coat.

The base is an ikea frame and the included stand which is just primed vallejo grey with a matt varnish

Really fun learning process. Would have liked to do more build pics but it ended up being spread out over two weeks as I was waiting for supplies to come in.

That looks great, from how the painting came out to your choice of setting and staging. Good work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I'm calling this one 'Three Tenths of a Second Before the Music Died'.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

That's almost as good as the whale semen vans.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I posted it in the aeronautical insanity thread and many were suitably impressed/horrified.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Unkempt posted:

This is goddamn hysterical.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Unkempt posted:

This was not something I was expecting to see after loading up the scale modeling thread. Well done.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

That is utterly demented. I love it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Where's the monkey that was flying the plane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dffFZom1Mac

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Unkempt posted:

That is well done and a really neat, if macabre idea.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Going to just assume that it's for a doctor friend.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Mariguana posted:

I really like the weathering on the Panzer. Mind going into a bit of detail on the painting process?

Thanks!

Keep in mind that this is an airbrush-only process, and the weathering process starts with the preshading. Used only Vallejo Paints.

-First I sprayed a light grey primer coat. White can work too.

-Next I imagined the model illuminated as if there was a cenital point of light. With that in mind, I preshaded the crevices and created gradients along vertical surfaces, using a dark paint. In this case, it was Vallejo German Grey primer.

-Once that was done, I gave the model a coat of my desired color; I used Desert yellow. Keep in mind that it must not be an opaque layer, or the previous work will be for nothing. Painted the stowage, tools, all the little details.

-I gave the model highlights with a very light, almost off-white warm grey. Painted all the chipping in a two-layer technique using a blister sponge, like the ones you get for individual Warhammer miniatures. First, I applied the off-white warm grey over the most vulnerable parts of the tank. Fenders, hatches, and the places where the crew would step on in order to enter the tank. Then went over all those random splotches with German Grey, as I imagined the tank as produced with grey as its color and then sent to North Africa and getting repainted over it.

-I applied the decals and sealed the model in a coat of glossy varnish. This is very important, as the weathering needs a glossy surface and it also can damage the paint if unprotected.

-Gave the whole model a pinwash, with brown and black enamel-based washes. Let the washes go to panel lines, crevices, around rivets. Wiped off the excess using a q-tip carrying just a bit of thinner (that is why we protected the paint)

Once that is done, you've already got a good looking model, but you may want a bit more of realism and detail. The remaining step is the use of oil paints.

-Seal the model again with a glossy coat.

-Dab little splotches of oil paints all over the model, like in this example:

The light dabs should go to more exposed places and the dark ones to more shadowed ones. Mix them up a bit as the cromatic richness it will bring is very nice. I reccomend Naples Yellow to make the dust effects. Once the model is covered in splotches, go over them with a brush and a bit of thinner and blend them with the previous paintjob.

All is done! You can buy oil paints in art stores, all of them work well enough. Have fun!

Paragon8 posted:

Finished my first "proper" model. Got into building the Star Wars Bandai figure kits and was too frightened to really dabble in the vehicles as I was worried about painting and such. Then they announced the A-wing kit and I decided that and lurking this thread to double down on modelling and got an airbrush and gradually built up my modelling kit when I started running into things I didn't know how to do.

Forgive the weird staging of the pic, tough nailing focus and the only good light was right by my window.

Looks really cool. Bandai made a great model with this one, and you built it nice! Good job.

Sparq fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 18, 2016

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

The Locator posted:

Going to just assume that it's for a doctor friend.

I get that reference! (Though I wouldn't have before I started a bit of research on this.)

It could probably use a bit more weathering. The figures were a nightmare, they're cut up Hasegawa USAF ground crew and just didn't fit without severe amputation. The windscreen was my first time plunge-moulding something like that because the original was terrible and barely transparent; I probably should have replaced all the windows. I tried doing the registration twice with a stencil and sanded it back both times because it looked awful; it's now individual characters cut out of black sheet decal. But overall it turned out OK. I'm just amazed that the superglue that's holding it up by one wingtip is actually strong enough to keep it there.

edit:

Those two in the back have one leg and three arms between them. But as it turned out you can barely see them (and they'll be dead soon anyway).

edit2: Oh yeah, it's a Minicraft 1/48 Beechcraft Bonanza, and I wouldn't recommend it except it seems to be the only one available. It had fit issues (to put it mildly).

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 18, 2016

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
That's fucken aces. The buddy figures is especially excellent, I love it. It might be a cut up job, but those hands are positioned perfectly

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Really excellent work! Great example of how as long as the focal details are good, the rest can be a bit bodged together and it's not the end of the world.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

#myfirstgundam (in a doll house I'm building)

These are a lot of fun. It's amazing how well they go together.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Sparq posted:

Painting writeup.

Wow thanks. Way more in depth info than I was expecting. Looks great, I'm going to definitely try some of the same techniques out on my next kit.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Greyhawk posted:

Is the gundam going to be a permanent resident? :q:

I notice that the robot you built is about the right scale for your dollhouse. I would like to bring to your attention Bandai's storm trooper kit, which is about the same size as your gundam.

I have no ulterior motive for this and am by no means trying to get you to populate the dollhouse entirely with gun-toting sci fi characters. Nope.

vvv :swoon: (lucky you, Bandai makes a samurai Darth Vader)

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 18, 2016

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Blue Footed Booby posted:

trying to get you to populate the dollhouse entirely with gun-toting sci fi characters. Nope.

This is essentially exactly where this will be going, especially since the dollhouse is going to be furnished in 19th century style furniture. I'm thinking cyborg ninjas here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

The gunpla thread would love to see this too.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

vvv :swoon: (lucky you, Bandai makes a samurai Darth Vader)

Sadly, the Movie Realization line aren't model kits, they're (very nice) action figures.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I'm about to embark on my first scale model!!! I caught a gigantic hobo spider while washing my bus, and I want to make a fancy terrarium for her done as a miniature Mirkwood. I don't know poo poo about gently caress, obviously, but I'm going to start by making mangrove trees about 12" to 18" tall. I'm going to buy some foliage stuff but I'd like it to look proportional. What scale should I be asking for at the hobby shop?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Pile of Kittens posted:

I'm about to embark on my first scale model!!! I caught a gigantic hobo spider while washing my bus, and I want to make a fancy terrarium for her done as a miniature Mirkwood. I don't know poo poo about gently caress, obviously, but I'm going to start by making mangrove trees about 12" to 18" tall. I'm going to buy some foliage stuff but I'd like it to look proportional. What scale should I be asking for at the hobby shop?

Uhhhhhhhhh... Aren't hobo spiders both crazy venomous and tremendous assholes?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pile of Kittens posted:

That's a hell of a scale question, right there. How are big are dwarfs and hobbits in proportion to humans, anyway?

I'm going to guess 1/35.

Also, the wikipedia article says there is some debate about hobo spider bites causing " necrotic lesions" which is not really the kinda thing you want to read in a hobby project

Speaking of models, the 1/72 Leopard 2 is kinda hateful. I'm to the point where I've accepted it'll never be brilliant, and am just trying to finish it. It was, of course, a Matchbox rebox from 2004.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

The latest info is that the variability of type and severity of symptoms from hobo spiders is from them looking similar to other, more venomous spiders, and hobo spiders are currently considered "not medically relevant". So essentially they've gotten a bad rap from their nastier cousins. I'm still treating her as though she's "hot" and not ever handling her directly, because the bite is at least painful, and yeah, most animals are tremendous assholes when they think they're about to be eaten by a mammal thousands of times their own size. However, I'm fascinated by funnel web spiders and also jumping spiders, so I'm really pleased to have caught such a nice specimen. She's already eaten five crickets and has made a nice tunnel in the corner of her tupperware. This 20 gallon tank is going to be ludicrously palatial for her.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's a hell of a scale question, right there. How are big are dwarfs and hobbits in proportion to humans, anyway?

I'm going to guess 1/35.

Also, the wikipedia article says there is some debate about hobo spider bites causing " necrotic lesions" which is not really the kinda thing you want to read in a hobby project

Speaking of models, the 1/72 Leopard 2 is kinda hateful. I'm to the point where I've accepted it'll never be brilliant, and am just trying to finish it. It was, of course, a Matchbox rebox from 2004.

I found 1/72 tanks to be more stressful than 1/48 tanks, for some reason. Sure it's nice with small kits that take little space, but the threads were hard to fit properly.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pile of Kittens posted:

funnel web spiders

:stonk:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There are other kinds of funnel web than the Sydney funnel web. The species in the US are harmless.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I guess being from here just makes it really hard to understand people who like to keep spiders or snakes as pets

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I usually have a good time with 1/72 but the engineering on this kit has just caused a poo poo ton of problems. Still, bluetac camo pattern turned out OK:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

I guess being from here just makes it really hard to understand people who like to keep spiders or snakes as pets

You kidding me? I'd do nothing but collect hilariously unwise species if I lived down under.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Pile of Kittens posted:

You kidding me? I'd do nothing but collect hilariously unwise species if I lived down under.

Well, at least for a short while.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pile of Kittens posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Good luck getting a wild manta ray into a tank.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Good luck getting a wild manta ray into a tank.

Stingray.

Manta rays are cool. Stingrays are cunts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Platystemon posted:

Stingray.

Manta rays are cool. Stingrays are cunts.

Dammit :cripes:. I'm half-awake on an early-morning shift at work.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

San Diego IPMS has posted photo's of all the models that were entered into their Model Expo show back on June 4th if anyone is interested in perusing them. There were some pretty fantastic models there I thought. They also posted photo's of the awards, so if you aren't careful you might see a photo of me, and you can never un-see that sort of thing.

http://ipmssd.org/wp/index.php/2016/06/20/2016-san-diego-model-expo-contest-results-and-photos/

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I was thinking of building my first model car as I am only really used to building Gundam, and I saw the 80's Tamiya Toyota Soarer and I have a thing for pretty normal looking cars. I was wondering if it was a good car for a first time model car builder.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Tamiya cars are in general very nice to build. They do not suffer as much from issues with parts fit as other manufacturers car models. There might be some spots that are difficult to paint as they tend to sometimes make single parts where multiple would be nicer. Gundam markers will often help out in these spots.

This IS a 30 year old kit though so don't expect Bandai levels of "things simply going together perfectly". Very few manufacturers have reached this level even today.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Me and my friends just ordered 10 random mecha and robot kits from Japan, that we plan to kitbash into post-apocalyptic gladiator robots this summer. Gonna be sweeeet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

San Diego IPMS has posted photo's of all the models that were entered into their Model Expo show back on June 4th if anyone is interested in perusing them. There were some pretty fantastic models there I thought. They also posted photo's of the awards, so if you aren't careful you might see a photo of me, and you can never un-see that sort of thing.

http://ipmssd.org/wp/index.php/2016/06/20/2016-san-diego-model-expo-contest-results-and-photos/

Christ, that's a lot of award categories.