Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Also it seems like every single new person never ever listens to "just put on the stickers you think look cool" and goes and puts them all on and drat near almost always complains about how many stickers there were and ugh. Uuuugh.

Yeah, unless you're a big fan of excessive detail (and if you are, get waterslides, stickers will go bad so fast), there's no reason to feel obligated to throw everything on. Whatever's most comfortable. Gunpla is freedom, which means I've got the freedom to put on over 200 decals on a small MG :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Found an R-Gyagya at a B&N near me! Time to start the hunt for GM Cardigan, I gotta have all the great semi-major suits from Try!

That's kinda the other thing I like about B&N stocking kits, the surprise of finding a kit you absolutely have to have just randomly on a shelf. Hell, I saw a Double X on the shelf when I was there last and I grabbed my buddy and said "Here, buy this kit," "Why?" "Don't ask, just do."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
G O O D

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

So I stuck together my very first Gundam kit. Its a NG 1/100 Gundam Astray Gold Frame Amatsu (standing guard in a dollhouse I'm building)

Coming from plastic modelling and the horrible fit issues one often encounters, I really love how well these things go together.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Greyhawk posted:

So I stuck together my very first Gundam kit. Its a NG 1/100 Gundam Astray Gold Frame Amatsu (standing guard in a dollhouse I'm building)

Coming from plastic modelling and the horrible fit issues one often encounters, I really love how well these things go together.

Oh, just wait until you try the modern kits. Gunpla has come a long way since that thing came out.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, just wait until you try the modern kits. Gunpla has come a long way since that thing came out.

Yea, that ng 1/100 is almost hot trash compared to the recent sets that have been released. The IBO line blows the seed line out of the water in details, engineering, and even price. This is coming from a guy who bought too many seed kits 7 or so years ago!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

THIS THING IS TOO BIG.

Seriously, this segment took me two days of work to finish. This is some sort of punishment from on high or something because jesus christ it's like 200 parts, and I've got to do another one of these.

I'm counting the hours until building this thing drives me insane.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, how frustrating. You know the little ankle caps that all the MG Gundam-types get? I'm building the Amazing Red Warrior right now, and while those caps fit with ease on one foot, they absolutely will not snap on to the other one. I've been turning them around and trying to force them for half an hour now. I'm going to come back to it later and hope it just works, but I'm worried I've warped the plastic now, if it wasn't warped when it came off the sprue. It all looks okay. Plus, neither cap will fit on either fitting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BlitzBlast posted:

Also it seems like every single new person never ever listens to "just put on the stickers you think look cool" and goes and puts them all on and drat near almost always complains about how many stickers there were and ugh. Uuuugh.

Uuuuugh, I just put all the stickers on my Gundam MK II and it took me three hours and was finicky and now it looks really good, kill me uuugh!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Given that I never weather poo poo, I think I fell into the old "added too much" trap. when your weathering on a black surface, it's hard to tell when you're doing it :(. Cleaned up some stuff after taking the photo. We'll be adding some pastels and do some weathering on the lighter grey parts later.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 19, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I broke the ankle rocker on my M1 astray while posing it. It was my fault for not noticing how hilariously tight the foot balljoint on that thing is. I've applied steel-epoxy to the inner part to mend it but it will be kinda noticeable. I hate all the problems I got with the M1, same with the Genoace II; I wanted to love those kits to death but they are immensely frustrating to work with.

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
MG GM Cannon completed.

Pros:
-Mostly sturdy (except for the waist, but more on that later)
-Enough spare parts left over to make a normal GM, in your color choice of white or cow
-Based off the MG Gundam 2.0/GM 2.0
-Flexible as all get-out

Cons:
-The waist has a series of loose-ish ball-joints that hold the skirt armor on. The rear skirt armor keeps coming off at any hint of flex.
-The torso loves to pop out of the tabs that hold onto it-- also at the waist

Overall, I really like it. I didn't do anything outlandish paint-wise, as I really like the design stock. I handbrushed a semi-gloss clear-coat to protect the decals, and panel-lined with a micron pen. The sparkly-bits in the camera visor were done using white primer, a layer of silver, and then some acrylic "hologram" craft paint that I got from the hobby section of Wal-Mart. This was all done to the inner visor piece, not the clear piece itself. It doesn't show up well in the pictures, but there's a very nice mica effect when the light hits the clear visor.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Wow, that cannon is a lot larger than I was expecting.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Slanderer posted:

Is there anywhere in the US that I can order 1:144 decal sheets from? The ones I ordered on ebay were cheap, but they will be in the mail forever (and I have a feeling my postman is gonna gently caress them up by cramming the parcel into my mailbox, wasting all of that time)

Gundam Planet has some, but they're at the mercy of Bandai for restocks. Model Grade might also have them too.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm kinda sad the GM Cannon didn't get a general release, and that MSV is so under-loved in general.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I'm sad I was too broke to jump on the Powered GM MG at the time.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm sad I was too broke to jump on the Powered GM MG at the time.

I was just about to get it when Gentei Kits closed preorders. :suicide:

I got an MG GM Cannon in the backlog, so it doesn't hurt too much.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

closeted republican posted:

I was just about to get it when Gentei Kits closed preorders. :suicide:

I got an MG GM Cannon in the backlog, so it doesn't hurt too much.

Apparently, it's going to be based on the old GM type C kit?

If it is, then no great loss. The thing was old enough to need screws.

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009

I couldn't find a decent enough pose for GM Cannon within the Detolf display case, so this will do-- surrounded by the rest of my GM squad.

(Also, it's a pretty big red flag that you're addicted to Gunpla if you're running out of room on a Detolf.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess ACES has just gotten to me, because I was looking up prices for that old 1/144 Ace Model Deep Striker. Wasn't sure if I was really going to get it or not

till I saw this picture. My first thought upon looking at it was "hey, that guy folded up the reflectors wrong". My second thought was "EX-X DEEP STRIKER :unsmigghh:".

By the time it gets here my Gaia Notes will have arrived too. Should be good practice for painting and modding before I really get started on MG Leopard Destroy.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah the MG Powered GM is a bit of a joke, sadly, the GM Kai has always been a baddish kit.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wow, glad I skipped it then. At the time people were saying it looked like an all new mold. I can't recognize older kits so I'm often unaware of weird p bandai stuff like that. I almost bought the lovely Heavy Gundam last year, too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If it's a P-Bandai kit, and it's not some accessory pack, it's not a new mold.

Ever.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I guess ACES has just gotten to me, because I was looking up prices for that old 1/144 Ace Model Deep Striker. Wasn't sure if I was really going to get it or not

Yesssssss. Goooooooood. Give in to the dark side.

I'm glad I've become synonymous with bad financial decisions and excessively large robits. I was always considering that kit though, for various reasons. You'll have to take a gratuitous number of work in progress shots as you build it. What's your gameplan for modding it?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly the original Deep Striker is pretty much just the upper half of the Ex-S stapled onto a big platform of crap. All I really need to do is stick a HG GX on there instead, but I intend to use the X Maoh so I need to figure out where I want to distribute the new stuff.

Current plan is to replace the radome up top with the reflectors, either swap out the smartgun for the Hyper Satellite Cannon or just leave it be, and replace the I-Field with the beam saber. I'll fit my MG Turn X's Shining Finger effect part on it, and it can be the Maoh Sword. I also have a bunch of leftover HG X parts from my WIP G-Bits, so I'm considering using the purple bits to add some X flavor throughout the suit.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wow, glad I skipped it then. At the time people were saying it looked like an all new mold. I can't recognize older kits so I'm often unaware of weird p bandai stuff like that. I almost bought the lovely Heavy Gundam last year, too.

I genuinely coveted that P-Bandai Heavy Gundam, even though it's based on the single worst RX-78-2 in the whole MG line.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 21, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm definitely familiar with the status of the Deep Striker to the S/Ex-S, yes :v:

But, seriously, that's an interesting idea. I'm not sold on the idea of the smaller torso/chest, and definitely think it'll look weird without the huge shoulders. Instead of replacing the radome though, have you thought about just strapping them to it? You could probably still get a pretty good X shape depending on how you oriented them, even if they might end up more >< shaped than an X. Whatever you end up doing, I can't wait to see what kind of monster you make. :neckbeard:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

If it's a P-Bandai kit, and it's not some accessory pack, it's not a new mold.

Ever.

The Pale Rider was kind of a hand wiggle, since it was the only way to get the kit other than as part of a special edition playstation game. But yeah. When I thought it was based on the GM 2.0 frame instead of the Kai, I assumed there had to be a Powered GM Cardigan coming out too, since a full on new mold for P-Bandai doesn't exactly scan

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I need some help understanding HLJ shipping charges.

I carted a bunch of stuff during their recent sale, and set about paring things down to what I could afford:. Depending on what was or was not in the cart at any given time, the shipping options and prices fluctuated wildly: sometimes SAL was cheap, sometimes it was more expensive than EMS, sometimes it wasn't offered as an option at all. In the end, deleting one item (HGUC Doven Wolf, not a particularly large kit) bumped my shipping total from $50 down to about $17. Getting most of what I wanted would have cost me more than buying locally and completely negated any savings from the discount.

This is the first time I've ordered from HLJ in 15 years, and it was confusing as hell. Any ideas as to why my shipping options were such a mess? Would using Private Warehouse have negated these issues? I had to pass on a lot of things I'd otherwise intended to buy, and I'm kind of annoyed at the whole experience.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think it has something to do with shipping box sizes or something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EMS cost is based solely on weight and increments the rate every 250 grams. SAL is often less expensive but has a maximum 30kg weight and has some restrictions on the size of the box in all three dimensions, incremeting the rate every 500 grams. HLJ assigns a weight and volume to each item and they just add them up and pick the smallest box that will hold it all. Some of HLJ's boxes exceed the SAL max size in one dimension. Sounds like you were right on a break point on the box sizes.

With Private Warehouse you could have spent some time arranging your items into multiple shipments to get the lowest total cost but you would have had to purchase the items before you could experiment with the shipping arrangements.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Seems like quite a bit more trouble than it's worth. Seriously, I had to drop more than half my intended order because most of the shipping options ranged from "what?" to "lol gently caress u."

EMS is good if you want new things fast I guess, but I can get better prices at the Gunpla hole-in-the-wall five miles down the street, and even with the HLJ sale discounts and SAL I saved mmmmmmaybe 10 bucks on the whole deal.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, for me HLJ is mainly just for obscure parts that I'm not going to find in a nearby store or on Amazon. And to its credit it's been pretty good for that (Kotobukiya/Wave balljoint and detail packs, older models, niche tools, etc.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Seems like quite a bit more trouble than it's worth. Seriously, I had to drop more than half my intended order because most of the shipping options ranged from "what?" to "lol gently caress u."

EMS is good if you want new things fast I guess, but I can get better prices at the Gunpla hole-in-the-wall five miles down the street, and even with the HLJ sale discounts and SAL I saved mmmmmmaybe 10 bucks on the whole deal.

I used to order a ton from HLJ but since a local hobby chain has a deal with Bluefin plus Barnes and Noble I pretty much just get oddball stuff there that isn't available domestically.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I try to grab domestic, Bluefin releases whenever I can to support Gunpla in the USA. Buying kits from JP-based distributors counts the sale as a domestic sale, while buying a Bluefin-distributed kit counts as a USA sale. I'm a big proponent of voting with your wallet, and what better way to show Bandai there's a growing interest in Gunpla in the US than to buy Bluefin-distributed kits?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Good point, that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'd like to buy from American places, but I can't fool myself into thinking it's a good idea to buy stuff at a 200% markup.

Even the guy who works at the place that sells kits nears me doesn't understand why the prices are so high. It's dumb.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm lucky to have a place close by that is basically a glorified warehouse, and their prices are quite good. The markups I see almost everywhere else are goddamned absurd.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress ankle guards on Gundam type suits. Except for the Ez8. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

I'd like to buy from American places, but I can't fool myself into thinking it's a good idea to buy stuff at a 200% markup.

Even the guy who works at the place that sells kits nears me doesn't understand why the prices are so high. It's dumb.

Where are you buying with such a markup? Gundam Planet pricing is basically the cost of the kit + transshipment to the US, so it doesn't vary much than the HLJ EMS shipped price. Sure, you could do SAL registered, but it's usually 500 yen more to go EMS, and then it's a difference of weeks going into days to get your stuff.

True, shipping from GP to you adds in, but I find it hard to believe that ordering kits X, Y and Z from HLJ is that much cheaper than kits X, Y and Z from Gundam Planet.