Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Nobody has ever died in a shonen manga before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Charlie Bobson posted:

Nobody has ever died in a shonen manga before

Especially not a mentor figure.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All Might had a million death flags up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
death flags are NOTHING to a TRUE HERO

Jintor
May 19, 2014

lmao like stain is too honourable to kill an out and out villain. did you forget he killed like 14 actual heroes

i don't think he'd do it unless it factored into his ideaology somehow, but i wouldn't put anything past him

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, like, Stain is a no-joke murderer. He was murdering heroes for not being heroic enough. He tried to kill Shigaraki when they first met and seemed to be planning to finish the job after he was done in Hosu. There's nothing stopping him from murdering villains beyond him being in super-ultra-high-security jail where he seems to be not even allowed to move.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Okay, my bet is that he does not shank someone in prison.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That is a pretty fair bet, I agree. He's probably not murdering AFO in jail; I wouldn't expect that either, myself.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

Symbolically they win out, but I'm pretty sure some people were literally expecting a bloodletting in a shonen manga and it was more than one person.

"Bloodletting"? Wtf?

I predicted a heroic death which apparently makes me a giant idiot. I think the "stain shanks A41" guy was joking tho. You may be "calm" but you're still being a know it all twerp about other people's predictions being wrong.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i'd be surprised if he's allowed to move at all

interesting they don't have the death penalty even when you blow away like half a ward.

I wonder if there's any ghost quirks. Boston Brand, you hanging around?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

"Bloodletting"? Wtf?

I predicted a heroic death which apparently makes me a giant idiot. I think the "stain shanks A41" guy was joking tho. You may be "calm" but you're still being a know it all twerp about other people's predictions being wrong.

I never called you a giant idiot, I said the thread was bad at making predictions, often opting for the worst case scenario and have a bad precedent. I mean, from a certain point of view, it wasn't even that wrong, but it was missing the obvious "out" of having All Might die, but also allow him to still give advice to Deku and allow him to grow as a hero.

I think it's the same thing here with Slain in prison with AfO, shanking AfO serves little to no purpose to further the story in any meaningful way, but there could be other more meaningful things to do with these two villains that further the plot.

Otherwise, AfO might as well have died in the fight with OfA.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I predict at least 1 (one) more chapter to be released this year.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I predict at least 1 (one) more chapter to be released this year.

Sorry, brace for Hero x Hero.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing about Stain's philosophy is that it is transparently extremely stupid. It's basically like someone killing all doctors who aren't willing to work for free and care about anything other than trying to save as many lives as possible. I can understand him wanting to kill the heroes who are actually corrupt and doing bad stuff, but he seems to want to kill anyone who isn't a hero for 100% selfless reasons. He either doesn't care about the ultimate outcome of his beliefs or he's too dumb to realize that it would result in far too few heroes to deal with the number of existing villains.

As a result of this, I wouldn't be that surprised if he managed to find an excuse for killing anyone he doesn't like. He isn't exactly a rational actor.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think you can cut short your rational actor analysis at "he thinks some heroes are phonies so it's ok to murder them"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, his belief that what are basically costumed mercenaries devalue the meaning of the WORD "hero" isn't exactly wrong. "Hero" isn't really something that should be a JOB, it's more of a title earned with someone's actions- and it really only should be used for real extraordinary things. In OUR society the term is overused and often used incorrectly, much less theirs.

Not sure where just randomly murdering "heroes" seems to fix that though. Stain lost the plot.

GammaShade
Oct 10, 2005

CG: Boggle vacantly at these shenanigans.
The Stain arc is what cemented it for me that this was going to be a really, really good manga and it's almost entirely because of conversations like this. The first thing I noticed about him was that he wasn't entirely wrong in what he thought, just in how he went about enacting it. Maybe I don't read enough shounen manga, but complex characterization like Stain's doesn't really seem like it would come up much compared to the easier "I kill heroes because it's fun" motivation.

Anyway this series is great and I'm so glad it's weekly because waiting for new Jojo every month is killing me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like that even the characters have a hard time arguing with Stain's ideology- like they can't completely dismiss it out of hand. All anyone can really say is that his method of "solving" the problem is wrong- even Iida who had his brother crippled.

And Stain himself isn't just some dude who gets really mad over dictionary definitions. He wanted to be a hero as bad as anyone else, he went to a good private school to do it, and the things he saw there broke him so badly he turned on the system. He tried to convince people with his words, failed, and lost it to the point he decided the only thing to do was kill phonies until they stop coming.

And that's all canon. I hope we get a background on what he saw that broke him so.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stain was right about Hero society being corrupted and about fighting someone for revenge being unheroic. He's still an insane serial murderer though who killed people who seemed like pretty decent dudes all things considered, and was even completely fine with killing kids. And the only one of his victims we learnt anything about, Iida's brother, seemingly wanted to become a hero just to help people and because he thought being a good person was cool and what people should aspire to be.

Frankly, Stain's kinda terrible and completely evil and it's still sorta weird to me that some students in the class were talking about how cool he was after he got arrested.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
For a theoretical society based around superpowered heroes to function, you'd either need some level of nationalization(more likely, at which point they're just super police) or commercialization(what happens in stuff like Tiger&Bunny and MHA) for heroes to do their thing, there's just no way around it. Fancy battle equipment, extremely expensive health care for injured heroes, and property damage claims from battles between superpowers clashing aren't going to pay for themselves. Even the hero who Stain respects and puts on a pedestal, All Might, ran a hero agency of his own(albeit a tiny unprofessional one) and took a paid job teaching kids to be heroes.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Frankly, Stain's kinda terrible and completely evil and it's still sorta weird to me that some students in the class were talking about how cool he was after he got arrested.

maybe all the heroes he actually murdered were Mago-level assholes like in Kingdom Come where all the new breed of heroes are complete wankers

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jintor posted:

maybe all the heroes he actually murdered were Mago-level assholes like in Kingdom Come where all the new breed of heroes are complete wankers

Iida is cool though, and his bro seemed pretty heroic as well. Sure, Stain failed to kill them, but he really wanted to.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Stains problem besides the whole murdering thing is that he has beef with people like Ochaco and not just Endeavour level assholes

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A part of Stain's issues with the hero community, I think, is the monetization of it. A hero should be a hero because you want to help and save the people, not to earn money. Sure, a lot of heroes do both - Mt. Lady wants to be famous and have more money but she's also very brave and selfless as seen when she protects the kids from Magne's attempts to send Compress flying to them - but that doesn't fly with Stain because bringing money into the thing in of itself is bad in his opinion. So even if Iida's bro is a hella stand-up guy, he's still a major hero making major bucks.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Iida is cool though, and his bro seemed pretty heroic as well. Sure, Stain failed to kill them, but he really wanted to.

i'm just speculating why some people might still think he's "cool" even though he's a serial killer, and the only case that really makes sense to me beyond them either forgetting he killed dudes or just dismissing it (given that it's well known he did kill a bunch of heroes) is that those heroes were assholes.

Or it's just something about his charisma/force of personality. I dunno. still weird to forget he's a killer!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It probably has a lot to do with his charisma and force. The only people who probably gave much thought to Stain's words were the 3 kids who were there + Dabi and Spinner. Even the villains who joined up with the alliance didn't really care about his ideals, they cared about his force of personality and the impact he made.

His ferocity and devotion to his cause made him come off as a martyr of sorts.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
According to Stain, you can't make money as a hero.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jintor posted:

i'm just speculating why some people might still think he's "cool" even though he's a serial killer, and the only case that really makes sense to me beyond them either forgetting he killed dudes or just dismissing it (given that it's well known he did kill a bunch of heroes) is that those heroes were assholes.

Or it's just something about his charisma/force of personality. I dunno. still weird to forget he's a killer!

It's definitely supposed to show his charisma, which he has in spades because even outside of the comic Stain's charisma leads lots of people to talk about how he's complex or interesting or might have a point.

I mostly just find it a little weird when wannabe heroes talk about him as "cool" in the manga or when people say he's not entirely wrong even though I can't picture him as anything other than 100% evil really. But that's just a small personal nitpick to be honest.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Charlie Bobson posted:

Stains problem besides the whole murdering thing is that he has beef with people like Ochaco and not just Endeavour level assholes

As far as the public is concerned Endeavor is a big drat hero who is so amazing at saving people and stopping villains that he's considered the second best hero in the business after goddamn All Might, and being a close second place to All Might is like being not quite as bright as the sun. Endeavor being a titanic shitheaded rear end in a top hat is entirely restricted to his private personal life and his family.

Stain's judgement is that of a crazy person with a lot of personal biases and incomplete information. He can't know anything about the vast majority of heroes in the slightest; he has no idea who joins the business for money or fame, who legitimately wants to help people, or who is a dickhead like Endeavor. He just decided that All Might is his platonic ideal of a hero and arbitrarily kills other heroes for not measuring up despite him not really knowing anything about them. He was ready to kill Deku and Todoroki straight up before eventually deciding that they might have the chops to meet his standards. He also doesn't really acknowledge that All Might receives compensation for his heroics just like every other pro hero.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 28, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

As far as the public is concerned Endeavor is a big drat hero who is so amazing at saving people and stopping villains that he's considered the second best hero in the business after goddamn All Might, and being a close second place to All Might is like being not quite as bright as the sun. Endeavor being a titanic shitheaded rear end in a top hat is entirely restricted to his private personal life and his family.

Stain's judgement is that of a crazy person with a lot of personal biases and incomplete information. He can't know anything about the vast majority of heroes in the slightest; he has no idea who joins the business for money or fame, who legitimately wants to help people, or who is a dickhead like Endeavor. He just decided that All Might is his platonic ideal of a hero and arbitrarily kills other heroes for not measuring up despite him not really knowing anything about them. He was ready to kill Deku and Todoroki straight up before eventually deciding that they might have the chops to meet his standards. He also doesn't really acknowledge that All Might receives compensation for his heroics just like every other pro hero.
All Might is known to refuse awards, commendations, and praise however which is apparently antithetical to most other heroes. That an All Might is unequivocally clear about his message and what he wants to do to help people- he lectures Midoriya that being a hero used to mean doing volunteer work and the like and that you must be in it for "love of the game".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remember that everyone who saw that takedown also saw Stain's wounds, and how he soldiered through them in pursuit of his cause. That transforms him a little - he's not just a sadistic monster, he's a wronged victim who went to mad, ruthless lengths to right that wrong. He's basically a walking corpse being kept alive by his cause, and while that would especially impact Deku for certain personal reasons, I can see how it would affect everyone else as well.

When someone has that much genuine, unwavering belief in what they're doing, it's hard not to start wondering whether they know something you don't.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's an interesting point in Stain hating profiteering heroes, which you see with Mt Lady and stuff, but also with Uraraka coming from an impoverished background and wanting to help her family. There's a bit of nuance to the celebrity status as well.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Mt Lady has a throwaway gag in that kinda eh 4koma spinoff where it's revealed she was constantly transferring schools during her time as a student because she kept accidentally exploding the school buildings.

I really like that her giant quirk is either 'normal pretty tall person' or 'god drat giant' with absolutely nothing in between. Also I dunno if her skin gets tough or what cos I assume she was using a truck as a boot for a reason when she wrecked that shop.

In short, Mt Lady, you're alright

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mt Lady got blown up by AFO but still had enough left in the tank to save the kids even though she was grievously injured. She is a great hero and worthy of respect.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Jintor posted:

Mt Lady has a throwaway gag in that kinda eh 4koma spinoff where it's revealed she was constantly transferring schools during her time as a student because she kept accidentally exploding the school buildings.

I really like that her giant quirk is either 'normal pretty tall person' or 'god drat giant' with absolutely nothing in between. Also I dunno if her skin gets tough or what cos I assume she was using a truck as a boot for a reason when she wrecked that shop.

In short, Mt Lady, you're alright

I imagine she does toughen up, but kicking a building is still a great way to break your foot if you aren't wearing a shoe.

Actually that kind of raises a question--some things must not grow with her, because otherwise she'd have just expanded a steel toed boot or something.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mt Lady was rude to Midnight and for that she deserves nothing but enmity and scorn.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

The Lord of Hats posted:

I imagine she does toughen up, but kicking a building is still a great way to break your foot if you aren't wearing a shoe.

Actually that kind of raises a question--some things must not grow with her, because otherwise she'd have just expanded a steel toed boot or something.

I think her bodysuit is made out expando-fabric but it is probably real crap for shoe soles or whatever

Midnight's suit being coloured a weird pale white weirds me out. I keep thinking it should be bright yellow/black Bruce Lee/Bride.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

All Might is known to refuse awards, commendations, and praise however which is apparently antithetical to most other heroes. That an All Might is unequivocally clear about his message and what he wants to do to help people- he lectures Midoriya that being a hero used to mean doing volunteer work and the like and that you must be in it for "love of the game".

Casting yourself as the invincible symbol of peace for all of society is the direct opposite of refusing praise and commendation. Making himself the biggest name in the business in order to serve as a deterrent to villains and an inspiration to the people was literally the entire point of All Might's career. He did it for a good, noble cause, but to deny that All Might has materially benefited from hero society is dead wrong; like I said, he ran a hero agency just like everyone else(albeit a tiny and impovershed one compared to the big agencies like Endeavor and Ingenium) and accepted a teaching position based on his hero experience and prestige.

Stain has no way to know what heroes are doing their thing because they want to help people(All Might), for personal gain, or some mixture of both(Mt. Lady and probably the vast majority of heroes), he just kind of arbitrarily decided that All Might was the only one with pure motives.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does All Might have a hero office?

I don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I think the omake chapters had shown the kids helping All Might relocate offices?
I don't know if those were canon pieces, though.