Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Begemot posted:

Turns out her parents are a bird person and a rock person, deepening the mystery.

Maybe she's an invisible bird rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I like to believe she has a very detailed design but we just can't see it.

If you hold the pages of one of the tankobons over a light bulb long enough the design becomes visible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gyges posted:

If you hold the pages of one of the tankobons over a light bulb long enough the design becomes visible.

It's not working, I think mine's counterfeit.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Since the Fourth of July is coming up, something occurred to me. Boku no Hero Academia was born on July 7th in Japan. I know Horikoshi is on twitter ( https://twitter.com/horikoshiko ); would a bunch of you guys be up for sending a bunch of All Might fanart, and tweeting it at him for a big ol' American birthday?

I plan on happily contributing.

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 2, 2016

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not working, I think mine's counterfeit.
Did you try a black light

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

is that one girl really depressed because the guy stole her quirk?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
yes

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreggon posted:

is that one girl really depressed because the guy stole her quirk?

imagine losing your sight, and the ability to continue doing the thing you've voluntarily, happily spent your entire adult life doing

actual literal depression is almost definitely in the cards

she seems pretty heroic though so i imagine she's not entirely out of the game, probably just going to become central/hq support for her team or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I really hope the cat team doesn't get left behind after that little news story about them.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It also hit hard because she seemed the most happy and upbeat of the crew.

Also, I really love how they've actually used the Pussycats for something more than just a group of characters to move the plot along.
Tiger helping out during the huge battle, Ragdoll having her quirk stolen and Kouta's letter coming back not once, but twice. They are fun characters and I hope we get to see more of them going on.

Ragdoll should join up with invention girl and become their Oracle or something.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 3, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ragdoll used to be able to view and track up to 100 people at a time. The analogy to losing her sight is pretty spot on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think she could only track their locations and not anything else. Probably for the best that her quirk is taken off the table for now, as that would make dealing with either the ua students or the villain alliance really simple.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
AFO having Ragdoll's quirk definitely will come back into play at some point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

AFO having Ragdoll's quirk definitely will come back into play at some point.

Yeah, but he is out of the picture for now. Otherwise, he could just sweep in and kill everyone effortlessly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If AFO took Tsuyu's quirk, would Tsuyu become a normal girl or would she still be froglike?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

If AFO took Tsuyu's quirk, would Tsuyu become a normal girl or would she still be froglike?
I get the feeling mutant quirks can't be stolen, just like Aizawa can't turn them off

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A not froggy Froppy is not okay. I won't even entertain the idea.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think she could only track their locations and not anything else. Probably for the best that her quirk is taken off the table for now, as that would make dealing with either the ua students or the villain alliance really simple.

Pretty sure she could observe to 100 people, with the information she has including where they're at and their weaknesses. It seemed like a pretty powerful support ability and probably gave her a different perception of reality than normal people. So losing it is probably rough as poo poo since her sensory input is likely changed as a result. While probably mostly visual in nature, the effect is probably closer to losing your proprioception, or sense of body location in relation to other parts of your body.

Especially if you grew up always using the power to at some level monitor friends and family. Imagine how that would gently caress with you if you just always knew where your, for instance, your mom was and how she was doing and then suddenly you had no idea. If you never had to deal with what every other child does when they first lose sight of them mom, but now you suddenly did 20 some odd years latter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't remember the weaknesses thing, and i just re-read the camp arc due to being completely wrong about dabi.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it was basic quirk information, not weaknesses? without going back to reread

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
From Chapter 72

Guess she actually has to see someone before she can use her quirk on them. Knowing the down low seems to imply that she also knows what your quirk is, or at least how it works, since location and weaknesses are just some of the things she knows.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ragdoll doesn't really bear much of a resemblance to the cat of the same name.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ragdoll bears a lot of resemblance to a cutie.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Gyges posted:

From Chapter 72

Guess she actually has to see someone before she can use her quirk on them. Knowing the down low seems to imply that she also knows what your quirk is, or at least how it works, since location and weaknesses are just some of the things she knows.

That Quirk looks to be completely useless for All for One in his current state. Wonder if he gave it to someone in the Villain Alliance?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
He probably took it because he has no eyes or ears anymore.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

That Quirk looks to be completely useless for All for One in his current state. Wonder if he gave it to someone in the Villain Alliance?

Every quirk is completely useless for a41 right now, because he is out of the story for a bit while Shigaraki and Deku grow and clash. But think about it, he could use it to hunt down every pro hero once he is out. No one could escape.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Any sort of perk that replicates a sensory function is absolutely crucial for All for One, perhaps more essential than any other perk in his possession, and I can imagine Ragdoll's perk serving in that role along with the infrared sensing perk he was leaning on before.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

chaos rhames posted:

He probably took it because he has no eyes or ears anymore.

Every quirk is completely useless for a41 right now, because he is out of the story for a bit while Shigaraki and Deku grow and clash. But think about it, he could use it to hunt down every pro hero once he is out. No one could escape.

I think the idea is that, if that translation is right and it requires you to see things ("the folks these eyes have spotted") in order to track them, it's not especially useful to him now, what with his lack of eyes. Of course, given that he stated that he took her power because it was so useful, I'm not sure that is the case there, and I don't remember the other translations mentioning the eye thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

I think the idea is that, if that translation is right and it requires you to see things ("the folks these eyes have spotted") in order to track them, it's not especially useful to him now, what with his lack of eyes. Of course, given that he stated that he took her power because it was so useful, I'm not sure that is the case there, and I don't remember the other translations mentioning the eye thing.

uh, that's a good point. still, unless stated otherwise i'll assume that he kept ragdoll's quirk for now. shigaraki's goal of killing all the ua students would be way too easy if he could pick them off individually when they left campus, whether he tracked them himself or got someone else to do it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm not assuming someone else has it, myself. I'm just saying what I think that poster was trying to get at, since a lot of people seemed to be missing that and I actually didn't realize at first either. At the moment I don't think AFO's given powers to anyone besides the Noumus recently, given the general complications with said power bestowment.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
noumus are more reliable. a41 doesn't really have enough soldiers to risk ruining them. we know he has a plan for giving shigaraki more quirks, but if he isn't taking everything he sees for that purpose then there must be a limit to what shigaraki can handle. i believe that one line about best jeanist was the only time a41 ever mentioned the subject of granting quirks, even.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

It's just a drat useful quirk all around. Best Jeanists quirk is powerful, but that's because he trained with it. You can slap Ragdolls quirk on a random mook and have him stand on the sidelines pointing out weaknesses. Ease of use was probably a large factor here.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It also combines extremely well with telepathy, since that allows the information to be disseminated across a team instantly. The Pussycats were probably a pretty terrifying team; Ragdoll could track villains and identify their weaknesses and tell all that to Mandalay, who could relay that to the other two (while also psychically harassing the villains like she did Spinner), with neither of them needing to be anywhere the villains could get to necessarily. Pixie-bob could then make her earth monsters wherever the villains are or attempt to open a sinkhole beneath them or whatever, and Tiger could... Use that information to find the villains and beat the poo poo out of them, I guess. He really is the odd one out of the bunch in nearly every way.

On a tangent, while this observation originally had me thinking that it's a good thing AFO didn't get Mandalay's power too, telepathy in and of itself would probably be a really scary power for him to get. Imagine someone that evil and intelligent being able to mentally communicate with whoever he wanted; the guy's probably already capable of Hannibal Lector-ing people without them not being able to walk away or otherwise block him out. Or, on the earlier topic of him bestowing quirks, Shigaraki with that power would probably be pretty awful too, though possibly in a somewhat different way.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 6, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Roland Jones posted:

and Tiger could... Use that information to find the villains and beat the poo poo out of them, I guess.

Hey, no shame in needing a tank! He's not just a bruiser, he's also got that stretchy limbs quirk, which has to make him a very capable tank for things too fast for the earth beasts to handle.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

They were specialized in mountain rescue operations. Tiger can slip through narrow areas and rescue people that way. In fact he even did so during the All for 1 fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all of their abilities were very well suited for search and rescue. tiger was probably the best fighter of the group, given mandalay and ragdoll's poor showing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mulderman posted:

They were specialized in mountain rescue operations. Tiger can slip through narrow areas and rescue people that way. In fact he even did so during the All for 1 fight.

Ah, right, I forgot about that. Yeah, their powers are even better for that then, with all four directly contributing to such things. Tiger's quirk is still the odd one out due to being physical modification as opposed to the others having ranged, mental(-ish, in the case of Pixie-bob's earth manipulation) abilities, but it definitely makes more sense now that you bring that up.

all of their abilities were very well suited for search and rescue. tiger was probably the best fighter of the group, given mandalay and ragdoll's poor showing.

Well, Mandalay captured Spinner herself. Deku broke his sword and then her and Tiger beat up Spinner and his ally when Spinner went all Stain-fanboy, but she seemed at least reasonably competent in that area.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mandalay probably got taken out by a surprise attack.

Magne's ability is really good for those at long as you're within 4.5m.

Just imbue the opponent with magnetic force, imbue your weapon with the opposite force, and then let science do its thing.

Oh wait poo poo I was thinking of the wrong character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Ah, right, I forgot about that. Yeah, their powers are even better for that then, with all four directly contributing to such things. Tiger's quirk is still the odd one out due to being physical modification as opposed to the others having ranged, mental(-ish, in the case of Pixie-bob's earth manipulation) abilities, but it definitely makes more sense now that you bring that up.

Well, Mandalay captured Spinner herself. Deku broke his sword and then her and Tiger beat up Spinner and his ally when Spinner went all Stain-fanboy, but she seemed at least reasonably competent in that area.

she danced around with him for ages and he wasn't even using his quirk. if she is any good at fighting villains that wasn't the best demonstration. mandalay definitely wasn't helpless or anything, but fighting a kid with a sword made out of knives wasn't really playing to her strengths.