Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Jose posted:

those were all relatively untrained people.

How can you make that kind of distinction? it's just a mural of hundreds of spears pointed at a Yujiro-like figure. To me, it seems like the message of the mural is pretty straight forward: "The big mean muscle man is stronger than all our best weapons combined."

What bugs me is that Itagaki is writing his new series as if Motobe is doing something innovative and very different, but he's featured plenty of expert weapon users before. New Grappler Baki's convict arc is filled with weapons, for instance. Dorian used bombs, gasoline, fire, lighters, and even a super specialized razor-sharp piano-wire. Yanagi had his poisoning technique, as well as traditional ninja weapons. Doyle was literally a cyborg assassin guy who was covered with all kinds of weapons. Speck shot Hanayama's knee caps with a pistol. The list goes on.

Even earlier than that, one of the first people Baki defeated was Gaia, who was a military expert, and had mastered tons of different weapons. Gaia, like many others, had no issues with killing, either.

To suddenly shift direction and to suggest that Baki hasn't been fighting real "life-or-death" battles just makes absolutely no sense. That's why Motobe pulling a knife on Baki and "winning the fight" is pretty laughable.

One of the first things that happened during Baki's fight with Yujiro was when his father held him down as they fell hundreds of feet from a skyscraper, just to see if he would survive the impact of the fall. That isn't street fighting, that's trying to kill somebody outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm not saying it isn't dumb, but almost every instance of someone using a weapon in the manga has ended badly for them because they were untrained. Retsu did well because he was trained.

the life or death battles is incredibly dumb since yujiro killed so many people but he's a bit different. baki nearly killing someone was a big deal

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Chapter 98 of Baki Dou is out!

Jose, I think the closest Baki has been to killing somebody was versus Ali Jr, when it seemed like he going to break his neck. Muhammad Ali intervened, and walloped Baki in the head. Otherwise, I can't recall any instances where Baki has killed somebody.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 23, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

nah he's not killed anyone but in the anime he nearly kills retsu the same way as ali jr

thats probably an actually accurate representation of a croc because theyre loving huge

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

oh yeah, you're absolutely right. Baki almost killed Retsu. Thankfully, the Chinese Martial Arts has a technique for fixing a broken neck. The Chinese Martial Arts has an answer for just about everything.

And I totally agree that Retsu was an expert weapon user. Remember when he unloaded a bunch of throwing knives on Doyle? Brutal stuff. Retsu was so awesome.

And I guess Motobe is supposed to be significantly better than this with weapons? I'm interested to see what he's schemed up. I have a strong feeling that tossing some throwing smoke bombs isn't going to tip the battle in Motobe's favor. Perhaps he plans on trapping Musashi or handicapping him. I don't think wearing body armor prevents any of the "damage" from Musashi's psychic sword slash technique.

Arstavial
Aug 16, 2005
FYI The next volume of Baki Dou is scheduled to be released on July 8th. I wait till the volumes come out before I read them, but I'm not looking forward to the next one cause it looks like it's going to be a bunch of Pickle and he is probably my least favorite character.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Just out of curiosity, why is Pickle your least favorite character? It's true that the "Pickle Arc" was perhaps too lengthy during Son of Ogre, but we got to see a few good fights, at least. After Baki trained in the ancient ways of the dinosaur, I loved his crazy techniques versus Pickle. But all in all, Musashi is a way more dynamic character, and much more interesting. On the other hand, Pickle is just a caveman who loves dinosaur meat, and can't really communicate using language. Baki appears to be his only real "friend," so I kind of feel bad for the guy. He's like a walking gimmick who has no place in the modern world.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 24, 2016

Arstavial
Aug 16, 2005

Jedah posted:

...Pickle is just a caveman who loves dinosaur meat, and can't really communicate using language... He's like a walking gimmick who has no place in the modern world.

That about sums it up. I know Baki isn't known for its super in depth character studies or anything like that, but Pickle was a giant bore for me. With the Chinese tournament, and the convicts, and world's strongest tournaments and stuff you could at least see some kind of motivation behind the characters. Pickle was just another "strong dude" to put in everyone's way so they could lose to him so we could see how strong Baki is. I can't even remember if Pickle really wanted to fight; people just came up to him and he did what was natural.

It just wasn't interesting at all, for me. But then again I binge read a lot of the Baki series so maybe I was just getting bored around that time.

Would people be interested in seeing the Doppo Gaiden? It looks like the one volume that came out back in like 2014 is the only one, and the series hasn't shown up in the weekly comics for a long time (http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q12151011287) so it's probably safe to say it's dead. I try to put an emphasis on getting Baki-dou out reasonably quickly, but when I have extra time I can start working my way through Doppo Gaiden as well. I'm trying to finish up another project as well at the moment which is why I can't work on it while we wait for the new Baki-dou to be released.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Hell yeah I'd like to see the Doppo Gaiden. What a silly question.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

K. Flaps posted:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

baki owns and i'm glad someone who lets me read it is a poster here so i can tell them to speed up and translate the first tough series

wild fang or whatever wanted people ot pay to read it the fuckers

Arstavial
Aug 16, 2005

Jose posted:

baki owns and i'm glad someone who lets me read it is a poster here so i can tell them to speed up and translate the first tough series

wild fang or whatever wanted people ot pay to read it the fuckers

You'll have to talk to the guy who runs Spinyback for that. I only do Baki-dou for him. I actually only recently took it over from around chapter 77.

Fun note about wild fang, the guy who does it recently called me out in a translation he did of old Grappler Baki. From what I can gather he is like certifiably nuts and other groups have all heard of him. Big drama queen.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Arstavial posted:

Would people be interested in seeing the Doppo Gaiden?

Doppo Gaiden? Yes please!

Arstavial posted:

That about sums it up. I know Baki isn't known for its super in depth character studies or anything like that, but Pickle was a giant bore for me. With the Chinese tournament, and the convicts, and world's strongest tournaments and stuff you could at least see some kind of motivation behind the characters. Pickle was just another "strong dude" to put in everyone's way so they could lose to him so we could see how strong Baki is.
Agreed, New Grappler Baki was always my favorite, for many of the reasons you mentioned. It was like Itagaki hit his stride, and every new character introduced was equally fun and ridiculous. The Baki formula at its best.

And thanks for translating Baki Dou. SpinyBack is doing a great job and catching up with the RAWs. I noticed Chapter 115 just came out, and I'm getting the vibe that Pickle and Motobe will possibly fight soon? Or at least it looks that way, I don't know what beef Motobe has with him, Pickle kind of just does his own thing and doesn't appear to be a real threat to Musashi.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 27, 2016

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Pickle arc went way too long but I loving love the part in every fight where pickle is shocked by a technique but then identifies which dinosaur it resembles, robbing it of its power.

Arstavial
Aug 16, 2005
I sat down last night intending to go through just a little bit of Doppo Gaiden, then suddenly it was two hours later and I'd finished the first chapter. I'm working with the quality controller to put the finishing touches on it, then the RAWs need to be cleaned and things need to be typeset so I can't give an ETA on when it'll come out but it's coming.

No promises on when I can finish other chapters but luckily I really enjoy working on Baki stuff so I'll find time between my other projects to get stuff done.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i hope there are some ludicrous reactions from bystanders

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I hope there is sudden chapter-long exposition about ancient history + pseudoscience, taken extremely seriously, to explain what's going on.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I hope theres lots of people making this face: :-|

edit: >:-|

K. Flaps fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 28, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki-Dou Chapter 116 (Korean) is out!

Wow, that escalated quickly. Things aren't looking good for Pickle, although he's apparently starved himself and is fighting as seriously as he can. Will it make a difference?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

every new post itt gives me false hope a translated chapter has been released

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Jose posted:

every new post itt gives me false hope a translated chapter has been released

Would you be willing to take a new anime?

It's just an ova though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I just want to see the prisoner arc animated in my lifetime *monkey paw curls as they reveal it's going to be a cgi movie*

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I just want to see the prisoner arc animated in my lifetime *monkey paw curls as they reveal it's going to be a cgi movie*

It's gonna look like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le8am4dm9iI

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Haha, that old CG intro from Baki still somehow looks better than the 2016 Berserk anime... :)

But yeah, seeing the Prisoner arc animated would be a fanboy's dream come true. I really hope Speck is voiced by the guy who does Faust in Guilty Gear. He'd be absolutely perfect.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 4, 2016

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

I'd honestly be okay with that.

Arstavial
Aug 16, 2005
As far as I know, the new Baki Dou will come out tomorrow. So the RAWs will no doubt not be far behind. And I just sent off the first draft of Chapter 2 of Doppo's Gaiden to the Quality Controller. So hopefully content will be coming soon.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Grappler Baki 182 is out!

Arstavial posted:

As far as I know, the new Baki Dou will come out tomorrow. So the RAWs will no doubt not be far behind. And I just sent off the first draft of Chapter 2 of Doppo's Gaiden to the Quality Controller. So hopefully content will be coming soon.

Thanks! Excited for the Doppo Gaiden. Is the one where Doppo encounters Hanma Yuichiro?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah the first and only Doppo chapter I found (translated by the wild fang guys) had Doppo killing the poo poo out of a guy who won against Yujiros dad (he took a fall for money though)

Arstavial
Aug 16, 2005

Yeah the first and only Doppo chapter I found (translated by the wild fang guys) had Doppo killing the poo poo out of a guy who won against Yujiros dad (he took a fall for money though)

I finally went and read his translation of it. I gotta admit, I like a lot of his writing. He has a flair and he adds a lot of dramatic language. The problem is a lot of his dialogue is really unnatural or (as I recall) kinda goes off in directions not really in the original text at times. Which is fine in some ways, but you have to be careful about adding too much. It's like, he writes really well but he is 100% committed to adding in every single bit of information that's in every bubble and it comes off really strange most of the time. It's like a very well written too-direct translation.

Basically, he has some cool phrases that add a lot of punch but overall I feel his translations miss the mark a bit. Also he may literally be a crazy person I don't know. In the same vein, if people have issue with my translations or think things are hosed up please let me know. Valid criticism can only be a benefit.

Anyway, teams hard at work and I sent off the first two chapters of the new Baki Dou to the quality control guy so hopefully stuff will be published soon.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 117 (Korean) is out!

This is a VERY interesting turn of events. Plus, the artwork is sweet.

Arstavial posted:

Anyway, teams hard at work and I sent off the first two chapters of the new Baki Dou to the quality control guy so hopefully stuff will be published soon.
This is great news! Thanks for all your work on the upcoming Doppo Gaiden.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Baki-Dou/Chapter-099?id=306329

lmao tokugawa getting pissed at musashi cutting his flatscreen tv in half

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Tokugawa can get a way nicer TV than that. The guy's pockets are loaded, he funds a state-of-the-art underground cloning facility. But Musashi is kind of a lovely house guest, destroying Tokugawa's television and then threatening to kill him. Is that any way to treat the man who brought you back from the afterlife? He can be a pretty selfish guy, kinda reminds me of Yujiro's behavior.

And Motobe seems to think he's strong enough to "protect" Pickle, but as we've seen from the latest RAWs, he hasn't intervened with their deathmatch. I wonder if Motobe will try to interrupt the ongoing Pickle vs Musashi match?

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 29, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

how readable are the raws without knowing any japanese?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You miss all the good lines and narration which are like 50% of the joy of reading any good Baki chapter

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I wish someone would translate all the lines into plain text.

That was the only way to read New Grappler Baki for years. Ultra low resolution scans and half-assed plain text translations.

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Baki-Dou/Chapter-099?id=306329

lmao tokugawa getting pissed at musashi cutting his flatscreen tv in half

I love the dialogue. Pickle blah blah blah caveman blah blah blah dinosaur age.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Chapter 1 of the Doppo Gaiden is out on Spinyback!

Arstavial posted:

I sat down last night intending to go through just a little bit of Doppo Gaiden, then suddenly it was two hours later and I'd finished the first chapter.

Thanks again for doing such an awesome job on this release!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hell yeah Doppo ftw. Thank you Translators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
huh i never saw this Tekken 2 opening before