Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know, and i don't like it on any of those. (there are plenty that don't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I know, and i don't like it on any of those. (there are plenty that don't)

Sounds like a good reason to me.

:D

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
Is it really normal for x-frames, though? None of the following make the FC stack part of the structure connecting top and bottom plates: Shendrones (Krieger, Mitsuko, Mako), ImpulseRC (Alien), Black Bolt (XBR), Flynoceros (Orion), Dquad (RefleX), MRM (Scythe, Switchblade), ReadymadeRC (Goby), and the list goes on.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm looking at perhaps getting a cheap camera drone to take some aerial photos while hiking in the mountains. Operative keyword is cheap. Would the S3 Quadcopter be good enough?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Based on the lack of listed specifications, I'd guess the camera is 3 megapixels tops. Your phone likely has an 8 megapixel camera or better. So if you imagine taking a picture with your phone and cropping it in half, you'll have a good representation of the quality you can expect on that guy.

I'm sure it would be fun to fly though!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm looking at perhaps getting a cheap camera drone to take some aerial photos while hiking in the mountains. Operative keyword is cheap. Would the S3 Quadcopter be good enough?

We're not in the realm of sub $100 ap drones yet, sorry. Phantom 3 standard would be closest to what you're looking for

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hmm, Phantom 3 is about three times the budget I could afford to spend on that. Oh well, thanks for the info.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

the flight controller as part of the structure is bad and I don't like it :colbert:

It has long bolts coming up from the bottom all the way to about half way through the upper standoffs, shouldn't be a problem I don't think. I was initially concerned that it might be a weak point so I put in longer bolts.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

sigseven posted:

You might also have the min_throttle set too high as well, the default almost always is. Remove the props, and connect to cleanflight while powered on. Use the motors tab to manually control them using the sliders, and find what the lowest value is that still gets them all to consistently spin up. Set the min_throttle to just above that number.

So I tweaked the min throttle and that helps a little, however it now flat spins when I hit the throttle.

My dinky little Cheerson doesn't do this, so is this a props/motor issue still?

Here's a video (excuse the bed shot, only place I can safely land without damage at the moment!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyFzYMduF68

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Jamsta posted:

So I tweaked the min throttle and that helps a little, however it now flat spins when I hit the throttle.

My dinky little Cheerson doesn't do this, so is this a props/motor issue still?

Here's a video (excuse the bed shot, only place I can safely land without damage at the moment!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyFzYMduF68

Connect to betaflight (or whatever software you are using) and look at the RC inputs tab. Make sure the rudder is centered at about 1500 microseconds. You'll need power to the receiver for this, which means battery plugged in (and props off)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When is a naze preferable over some knockoff cc3d with cleanflight or whatever other fw you want to dump on there? The prices seem to reinforce the naze as a higher end board, but what does that actually translate into that I won't be able to do with my cc3d?

I'm building a new ZMR and I'm not actually looking to upgrade since I have a bunch of CC3Ds to spare, I just don't really understand what the price jump buys me.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 7, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The Naze is pretty terrible. Also stop buying F1 based boards.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also stop buying F1 based boards.

I have no idea what this means

Combat Pretzel posted:

The Naze is pretty terrible.

Other than the designer being a douchebag from what I hear, everyone online seems to recommend it for racing for some reason.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh stm32f1. Nevermind. Yeah I'm not buying boards these days, but I have like 5 knockoff CC3Ds because they were super cheap and I wanted to play around with firmware so I bought them way back. Have no reason to actually upgrade and buy anything new.

What is the go-to board these days? I feel like all the new boards passed me by since I'm not really familiar with any of them.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So I've been having a fuckton of issues with the T2D gimbal after it somehow tripped angle overrun protection, and for the life of me the gimbal controller won't talk to the software on a Win 10, 8.1, or 7 PC. The motor controller is fine.

I'm kinda done with troubleshooting and thus I'm putting up for sale the FC40 I just got. It's in SA-Mart for the interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782398

It contains a link to the Dronevibes thread where I've posted troubleshooting steps and results. It may require a new board, it may not, but I figure this thread might be interested.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Martytoof posted:

What is the go-to board these days? I feel like all the new boards passed me by since I'm not really familiar with any of them.

The RMRC Dodo is the bees knees at the moment. Stick betaflight 2.9.0 on it and don't worry about PIDs

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Other than the designer being a douchebag from what I hear, everyone online seems to recommend it for racing for some reason.
Recommendations in bulk aren't exactly worth anything in this hobby. There's plenty of bullshit being propagated, just because "Skitzo" or "Charpu" are flying it, mostly because of them succumbing to the audiophile-style bullshit for probably not knowing better.

My own particular gripes are the fast loop times and Multishot.

The loop times because apparently people are trying to cheat physics and inertia by just sampling more, therefore ostensibly reducing latency (yeah, because a human can tell the difference between 1ms and 0.125ms in a naturally dampened vehicle), dismissing that with the ever dropping SNR from sampling faster, you need to introduce heavier LP filters, which introduce large delays and destroy said supposed latency "advantage". Not to mention that the update rate from the RC receiver is in the low double digit millisecond range to begin with.

And then there's Multishot, because apparently we need to update the ESCs at an insane rate for no good reason, especially given that motor response times due to inertial effects are pretty drat high. I think the biggest joke is that some people run Multishot at 32KHz, even tho the loop times are slower, essentially sending redundant packages to the ESCs. People claimed to "feel" "noticeable" differences between 16KHz and 32KHz MS, despite an 8KHz loop on the flight controller. And the saddest thing is, they claim these high rates for better control accuracy, when the uselessly high command rates disturb the motor commutation that's done in software (and also PWM signal generation in those ESCs without hardware PWM), since the input PWM signal tracking is done using edge trigger interrupts.

So yeah, grain of salt advised.

As far as the Naze goes, I only fiddled a little with it due to a friend sporting one. In my opinion, it suffers from a bunch of questionable design decisions. What annoys me most is that it renders one of its UARTs useless by attaching an FTDI to one of its UARTs instead of using the native USB connectivity the F1 supplies. Sure, you can disable the FTDI, but then you have to reset your flight controller to hook it up again to *flight.

I suppose an SPracingF3 or a Sparky would be cheap alternatives. I think a goon makes the DTFc, which is a combination of flight controller and power board, which seems to perform nicely.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The RMRC Dodo is the bees knees at the moment. Stick betaflight 2.9.0 on it and don't worry about PIDs

It's good, but unless you need the barometer, there are cheaper options. Lot of people like the cyclone, and the newest revision of the xracer f303 has all the boxes ticked on features most people want (spin connection to gyro, 16mbit for black box, vbat, through hole) and is $29

Flight controllers I've bought in 2016:
Brainfpv re1 (preorder)
Dtfc
Sparky ($23 on bg, no vbat so you'd have to provide voltage / amperage input yourself)

There's a sparky 2 without the extra bits for cheap, but it's sold by rtfq so buyer beware

Edit: also thinkin about upgrading my tricopter with the integrated rcexplorer f3 board

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 7, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

It's good, but unless you need the barometer, there are cheaper options. Lot of people like the cyclone, and the newest revision of the xracer f303 has all the boxes ticked on features most people want (spin connection to gyro, 16mbit for black box, vbat, through hole) and is $29

Sure, there's cheaper options, but the Dodo just works.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Sure, there's cheaper options, but the Dodo just works.

Most f3 boards are indistinguishable in performance, assuming a dampened environment. Features like accepting battery voltage and no dumb connectors and blheli pass through are great, but that's not really unique to the dodo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h7IKi51a4Y

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Cat Mattress posted:

A Syma X8G is the cheapest option I'd go for something super basic that takes decent video.

https://www.amazon.com/X8G-Headless...ywords=syma+x8g

The next step up would be a Syma X8HG. The altitude hold will make it much easier to fly and get better photos and video.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

lol at the ama continuing to pretend special rule 336 exemptions apply only to them.

http://www.dontflystupid.org/ (the one good thing that has come out of rcgroups advocacy subforum)

This is amazing.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 7, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Shep posted:

A Syma X8G is the cheapest option I'd go for something super basic that takes decent video.

https://www.amazon.com/X8G-Headless...ywords=syma+x8g

The next step up would be a Syma X8HG with a Runcam velcroed on the bottom. The altitude hold will make it much easier to fly and get better photos and video.

Thanks, seems a solid option. Amazon won't ship to me but I found another seller with a reasonable price, and the X8HG is only 9€ more. :tipshat:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Combat Pretzel posted:

As far as the Naze goes, I only fiddled a little with it due to a friend sporting one. In my opinion, it suffers from a bunch of questionable design decisions. What annoys me most is that it renders one of its UARTs useless by attaching an FTDI to one of its UARTs instead of using the native USB connectivity the F1 supplies. Sure, you can disable the FTDI, but then you have to reset your flight controller to hook it up again to *flight.

That's mostly due to the board's original pedigree as a remapped layout of another board ("FreeFlight") that originally used the same components. The CP2102 serial chip on there is simply due to the original board having one.

Timecop was working on a STM32F3 board for a while but scrapped it due to *reasons* (probably boredom) http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5338

And yes the creator of DTFc (also DTF UHF) is a goon but he's probably avoiding this thread

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 7, 2016

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Cat Mattress posted:

Thanks, seems a solid option. Amazon won't ship to me but I found another seller with a reasonable price, and the X8HG is only 9€ more. :tipshat:

I misspoke. You won't need a runcam with the x8hg. That camera is a decent go pro knockoff and you can check out reviews on YouTube of the x8g by searching for it. Without the gimbal your video will be jittery but it's the best we can do in your price range. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

waiting for the re1, it's gonna be the best

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If dipoles are that much better in regards of signal strength, disregarding multipathing, why don't I just put one on the quad, and get a triple diversity receiver and stick three dipoles at 90° to each other on it to deal with polarisation?

Friend of mine killed his CP antenna yesterday in a crash and helped himself with a dipole the rest of the day, and claimed he had way better picture and less interferences.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Friend of mine killed his CP antenna yesterday in a crash and helped himself with a dipole the rest of the day, and claimed he had way better picture and less interferences.

Dipoles are worse at rejecting multipaths. What CP antenna was he using?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Some three leaf noname cloverleaf.

Also...

quote:

disregarding multipathing

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Some three leaf noname cloverleaf.

Also...

Right..read that as discarding multipaths, not disregarding :). Cheap cloverleafs are usually crap. (but cheap).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have a double diversity receiver incoming from Banggood (an FR632, whenever that is), I'll be trying dipoles in the open when I get it. I suppose if I'm tracking 160-180° in front of me, two receivers with angled dipoles should be able to deal polarization mismatching. Whenever I do my first race in the parking garage, I suppose CP antenna is mandatory.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 9, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have a double diversity receiver incoming from Banggood (an FR632, whenever that is), I'll be trying dipoles in the open when I get it. I suppose if I'm tracking 160-180° in front of me, two receivers with angled dipoles should be able to deal polarization mismatching. Whenever I do my first race in the parking garage, I suppose CP antenna is mandatory.

Double diversity as in 2x 632 and 4 antennas? Link?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I'm putting this PDB together. Is there any reason I should go with a switching regulator over just a bog standard regulator?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

Double diversity as in 2x 632 and 4 antennas? Link?
No, just two antennas. I wish there'd be a cheap quad diversity one, tho. I suppose I could build one with some RC5808 modules and an Arduino, but it'd look pretty ugly.

There's some thingy to tie together two FR632 and have it switch based on image quality, whatever that means. Can't remember what it's called, tho.

--edit:
I think it's this thing:

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_79&product_id=84

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 9, 2016

nerox
May 20, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

I hope you get a good fr632, they had a batch that got horrible interference from 2.4 ghz signals. I returned 3 before I gave up and bought the diversity receiver that quanum makes (which is awesome by the way)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Read about that. Unless I get something from older stock, I should be fine. Hopefully. Actually, ideally, because another friend of mine seems to have more free time now and wants to come along us to fly. With his Phantom 3 and it's horrible 2.4GHz video downlink. That thing shits all over the RF bands.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Has anyone else done an 1104 build?
I have mine tuned in Betaflight 2.8 and the rates are just so slow. I have P1 R1 Y2 rates in the PIDs screen, and an RC rate of 1. I've got NO expo selected and it still only responds like my 210 does with .70 expo. That's fine for normal flight, but flips and barrel rolls are basically out of the question unless I gain altitude. Am I missing something?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McMadCow posted:

Has anyone else done an 1104 build?
I have mine tuned in Betaflight 2.8 and the rates are just so slow. I have P1 R1 Y2 rates in the PIDs screen, and an RC rate of 1. I've got NO expo selected and it still only responds like my 210 does with .70 expo. That's fine for normal flight, but flips and barrel rolls are basically out of the question unless I gain altitude. Am I missing something?

On my 106mm build I set my PID rates to 1.65(lol) and RC rates to ~.95 with an RC expo of .75 and it flips alright now.

This is on Betaflight 2.8.1 I think they changed the way expo and rates work on there recently, it has an interactive little 3d model you can watch flip around as you change numbers and move your sticks.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

bring back old gbs posted:

On my 106mm build I set my PID rates to 1.65(lol) and RC rates to ~.95 with an RC expo of .75 and it flips alright now.

This is on Betaflight 2.8.1 I think they changed the way expo and rates work on there recently, it has an interactive little 3d model you can watch flip around as you change numbers and move your sticks.

That's really weird, I can get my P and R rates to go above 1 on my PID tab. Yaw goes to 2.55. Is there something else that needs to be switched so that those rates can go beyond 1?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McMadCow posted:

That's really weird, I can get my P and R rates to go above 1 on my PID tab. Yaw goes to 2.55. Is there something else that needs to be switched so that those rates can go beyond 1?

Are you on BF2.8.1? Using the BetaFlight Configurator?

Holy craaaaaaaap this is the best use of RC I've ever seen. Man builds motorized Duck, takes it to pond:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX7Rc8lctUY

Step 2....some next level poo poo:stonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S1ad6b2wmA

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there a reason a lot of people keep calling the rubberduckies dipoles? I've torn one down out of curiosity, and it's a monopole.