Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

There's a grade in the old tile for a floor drain and he tried to make up the difference with grout but stepped in it? I'm trying to give credit. How does a person watch their hands doing a job like this and allow it to continue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

DreadLlama posted:

There's a grade in the old tile for a floor drain and he tried to make up the difference with grout but stepped in it? I'm trying to give credit. How does a person watch their hands doing a job like this and allow it to continue?

Something obviously went wrong here, it's up to us to figure out what exactly

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nitrox posted:

Something obviously went wrong here, it's up to us to figure out what exactly

Insufficient mass of concrete, the tiles were not properly secured.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
House flipper plastered over live knob and tube.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

kid sinister posted:

:pwn: That takes a special kind of person.

Person who owned a house my parents spent a few years in in Hawaii painted over a dead gecko. Seriously, what the hell?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kid sinister posted:

Hahaha wow

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Person who owned a house my parents spent a few years in in Hawaii painted over a dead gecko. Seriously, what the hell?

I got my porch cover replaced a few years ago. The guys who painted it, sprayed the dead wasps' (multiple) nests. Honestly, I didn't expect them to knock them down and it looks kinda neat.

So, now I need to see this dead gecko.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

kid sinister posted:

Less talk more construction failures:

Remember, you can always replace a fuse with a penny. Put the fuse back over the top and it'll look like the fuse is good when inspected but is completely un-fused. .22 shells work pretty good in old school car fuse boxes.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Picture of dead painted gecko isn't loading for me, anyone else??

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Manslaughter posted:

Picture of dead painted gecko isn't loading for me, anyone else??

This was thirty years ago and my parents have maybe three photos of my childhood. There is no gecko photo. Sorry to get everyone's goes up. :(

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

This was thirty years ago and my parents have maybe three photos of my childhood. There is no gecko photo. Sorry to get everyone's goes up. :(

At this point we need a picture. How you obtain that picture is up to you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Crappy Construction Tales: 400 Clauses in Your HOA Rules, And As Many Posts About Them

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I know nothing about bricklaying but I suspect this is being done poorly in some way:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Javid posted:

I know nothing about bricklaying but I suspect this is being done poorly in some way:

Why? What I can see looks okay. They've got a (presumably level) string line established. They're buttering the ends of the blocks adequately and the mortar looks fine. I can't guarantee it, but it looks square, too. They're even laying out the bricks ahead.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magnus Praeda posted:

Why? What I can see looks okay. They've got a (presumably level) string line established. They're buttering the ends of the blocks adequately and the mortar looks fine. I can't guarantee it, but it looks square, too. They're even laying out the bricks ahead.

Most goons don't go out much so they don't realize actual construction work (even when properly done) doesn't look like Lego or Minecraft.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

At first glance it kind of looks like the CMUs in front of the wall are extremely haphazardly placed.

But then you realize they are fulfilling the vital construction site function of "poo poo that I can pile my tools on so I don't have to bend all the way down to pick them up".

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Actually no, I feel other people don't have a right to tell me I can't fix my loving truck in my own driveway, or for that matter, how many cars I can park on my yard, or whether or not I'm allowed to paint my house bright purple. And if it affects their property values? Too loving bad! My job in life is not to protect your property values.

But then, I may place a higher value on "property as space for you to do your thing" vs. other people's "property as investment."

I'm very glad my neighborhood doesn't have an HOA. Some of the houses look shabby and some of them look nice. Some people care about having immaculately trimmed shrubbery and green lawns and some prefer to collect beer cans. My neighborhood's purpose is for people to live in, my neighbors like loud mariachi music and someone nearby has a rooster and a lot of us have dead lawns (it's California and a dead lawn is kind of a civic pride thing these days anyway) and OK, the city told me I had to keep my garbage cans out of view of the street, but that's a very minimal intrusion (and all the houses in my neighborhood have side gates and back yards, so it's not hard for anyone to comply). My next door neighbor has a decrepit Peugot out front that he and his son are eventually gonna fix up one of these days, and nobody should be able to tell him he has to get rid of that dream because it won't fit in his garage and it's an "eyesore" or some poo poo like that.

So yeah, you have a shared road or a pool that needs upkeeping? Cool, HOA is perfect. You want to impose your idea of suburban idyllic gentry on my property with a bunch of rules that have nothing to do with health, safety, or crime? gently caress you and your HOA.

What if instead of an HOA, it's a municipal ordinance that says you have to mow your waist-high grass or can't park cars on your lawn? Would that be an unacceptable intrusion of your liberty?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powerlurker posted:

What if instead of an HOA, it's a municipal ordinance that says you have to mow your waist-high grass or can't park cars on your lawn? Would that be an unacceptable intrusion of your liberty?

Municipal ordinances can be just as bad.

My neighbours reported me to the city for parking a (running, registered) car on my drivestrips, so now I park it in front of their house instead. It turns out that there’s a rule against parking on the street for more than seventy‐two hours, but that’s okay, I just park it there for sixty‐ish hours, then park in my driveway for a while.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Javid posted:

Yeah what's wrong here?

Oh well cinderblocks got mentioned. Time to repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VGjA66RSm0

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 7, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah what's wrong here?

I had a feeling it was this video. I will watch this all the way through every time. There's something hypnotic about watching a person who has mastered their craft.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There was a video in one of these threads of some guy from the '80s or '90s who was the same way with carpentry. Laying out house frames and driving in every nail with a single hit.

I can't for the life of me remember what he was called.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Powerlurker posted:

Yeah, very possibly, like when the municipal ordinance says that if you're within a half a mile of the new major league sports stadium you're not allowed to let people park on your property on game days:

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/no-parking-cobb-ordinance-blocks-private-lots-at-s/nrpz7/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GotLag posted:

There was a video in one of these threads of some guy from the '80s or '90s who was the same way with carpentry. Laying out house frames and driving in every nail with a single hit.

I can't for the life of me remember what he was called.

Was it this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4QI1itQCw0

Around 2 minutes for the start of nail magic.

EDIT: God drat it. There goes my day. Now I have to watch the entire series. Again.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 7, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yes, that's the guy, Larry Haun.
:rip:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GotLag posted:

His mother must have been some woman:

quote:

Mr. Haun was 5 when the local Klu Klux Klan burned a cross on his family’s front lawn. “What do you do when there are no Jews or blacks around as the focal point for your frustration and hatred?” he wrote. “That’s an easy one. We were the only Catholic family in the entire county.”

His mother’s reaction was typical of her. After the riders left, she followed the gang to the local coffee shop armed with a rolled up newspaper, with which she whacked one Klansman across the face.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

flosofl posted:

Who needs a nailgun? Not this guy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Collateral Damage posted:

Who needs a nailgun? Not this guy.

He is the nail gun.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

flosofl posted:

His mother must have been some woman:

I had never read that article.

Now I'm off to Amazon to find his book.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah what's wrong here?

The best part is how he puts just enough extra on top of the block to scrape off when he puts a block down and put it on the side of the next block.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I was in a Starbucks this morning and I looked up at the ceiling and walls while waiting for my order. Try it sometime, you'll find some unfinished work. The workmanship in this morning's Starbucks was particularly shoddy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, very possibly, like when the municipal ordinance says that if you're within a half a mile of the new major league sports stadium you're not allowed to let people park on your property on game days:

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/no-parking-cobb-ordinance-blocks-private-lots-at-s/nrpz7/

If I'm reading that right, you aren't allowed to CHARGE people to park.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

If I'm reading that right, you aren't allowed to CHARGE people to park.

Atlanta Journal-Constitution posted:

Ordinance could bring litigation

The new law also appears to take the idea of restricted parking near the stadium a step farther than banning private lots. It says that during prosecution of offenses it will be “presumed” that “all vehicles parked on property during a special event have been charged a fee for parking during the special event.”

The provision could be intrepreted to mean that all cars parked in unlicensed lots are “presumed” to be in violation of the ordinance during games — potentially impacting employees and customers who have their cars parked at any of the dozens of office buildings, shopping centers, restaurants and other businesses in the restricted parking area.

But hey, it's not like an ordnance would ever be interpreted in a way that profits a large corporation/the local authorities, right?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Elsa posted:

I was in a Starbucks this morning and I looked up at the ceiling and walls while waiting for my order. Try it sometime, you'll find some unfinished work. The workmanship in this morning's Starbucks was particularly shoddy.

I do this in basically every building I go into now because it's just become habit from my job. Fast food places are gold mines of half-assed work.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You want to see an old-school human staple gun, check out spitting tacks:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LOKMhoIS9ck (super slow because it's a demo)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oCviBqqWAv0 (more of an explanation)

Not construction but still nuts.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I met people in Norman, OK who lived near the OU Stadium and pretty much paid their mortgage during the fall by charging for parking for football games.
Stand on the curb with a sign that says $20 PARKING, and stuff 10 cars on your front lawn and driveway. Profit!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Related, (but barely), in Wrigleyville, there are street signs all over that say 'No parking during night games'. It's infuriating, because I don't watch baseball, so I have no clue if there's gonna be a night game later on or not.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Powerlurker posted:

It's still bad, but not nearly as bad. Why? Because (theoretically) municipal ordinances are passed by the voters, or at least the representatives of the voters. And the voters are not universally the property owners. And municipalities have to operate within well-established state and national laws, they're more accountable, and they're less likely to pass new punitive ordinances specifically designed to punish one specific property owner for failing to be sufficiently respectful of the existing ordinances, etc.

But I wouldn't buy a house in a municipality that had egregious ordinances. I'm OK with measures that are specifically about safety - waist-high dead grass is a fire hazard in California, so if it puts my neighbors' houses at risk, sure, it's reasonable to say I have to clear it. But it's not reasonable to say I can't just have a dirt lot, or mowed weeds, or use my lot to park vehicles I'm working on.

As I see it, the purpose of community regulation is to protect the safety and welfare of the people. Not specifically to maximize property valuations for the property owners above all other considerations. Communities are places to live, houses are places to put your poo poo and live in. Spotless perfection, having an idyllic perfectly conforming neighborhood is actually kind of grotesque to me... I'd much rather see some character and variation in homes, some signs that people live here and use their property and pick out their own goddamn curtains. But that's just my aesthetic judgement, and I don't think aesthetic judgements should be enforced by law, because they're variable and basically just matters of opinion.

E.g., I have a right to think my neighbor's pink house is an eyesore, and maybe tell him so... but I shouldn't be able to force him to paint it a conforming color of medium beige.

I'm also not especially upset about ordinances that are super easy to comply with, like the thing that says I need to not have my garbage cans out front. It'd be a problem if any of the houses in my area didn't have side-yards or back yards... if someone had no choice but to put their cans in their garage I'd have an issue with that, because they can kind of stink and they take up a lot of room and come on, they're just garbage cans.

Even that one is a nuisance ordinance, though. I don't think it's actually accomplishing anything very important and I'd be happy to see it gone.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 7, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah what's wrong here?

flosofl posted:

Was it this guy?

EDIT: God drat it. There goes my day. Now I have to watch the entire series. Again.

GotLag posted:

Saving all this for later. :rip: Mr. Haun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

flosofl posted:

Was it this guy?

Watching him just eyeball those plunge cuts with the circular saw is even more impressive imo.