Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Phlegmish posted:

How many of you already have a 1070 or 1080? Wonder when the worst is going to be over.

I've got a 1080 FE that I randomly stumbled across in BestBuy on the 30th. Still haven't even opened it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

The store I keep checking actually has less 1070 stock than 1-2 weeks ago. Somehow.

gently caress Belgium

GPU Megathread - gently caress Belgium

:shobon:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Presto posted:

He said he was worried it wouldn't fit, which is something that can happen. My 980Ti was a half inch too long for my case, due to an unremovable drive cage in the way, which is how I came to purchase a Define R5.

Fair enough, but rulers do exist for a reason...

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Fair enough, but rulers do exist for a reason...

It took me some serious effort to get a firm idea of how big my G1 970 was going to be. Manufacturers are often hard to get that info out of.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mikojan posted:

Returned my 1070 g1 today as well. Couldn't stand the loud design. Looking out for a gaming X 1070 instead now as they are supposed to be amongst the most quiet ones.

Belgium still has no 1070/1080 AIB stock whatsoever still. But then when I go look at webstores in Germany (neighbouring country), they have 10+ stock on almost every single version.. On top of that they are usually around 40€ cheaper :shrug:

really? my G1 isn't loud at all.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
PC Perspective says the FE 1060 is only going to be on nvidia.com so all other cards on newegg and poo poo should all be custom coolers

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

e: I could order the GPU separately but I'm paranoid it wouldn't fit or something

You're in europe. You can send the card back the first 2 weeks for any or no reason.

quote:

If you bought a good or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also have the right to cancel and return your order within 14 days, for any reason and with no justification.
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Also Dutch, German and Austrian webshops will happily deliver to you (i'd go with ze Germans, their prices are lowest).

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 7, 2016

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

PC Perspective says the FE 1060 is only going to be on nvidia.com so all other cards on newegg and poo poo should all be custom coolers

I'm betting that decision has more to do with card availability at a price competitive with the RX480 than anything.

Nvidia skimmed cream off with the 1080 FE and 1070 FE price premium at launch, and gently caress their board partners because the AIB makers have no choice but to smile and take it.

Now that their expected mid-tier price point got pushed down and the 3GB tier disappeared entirely, they need to actually compete, and the result is the AIB makers have the clout to get chips first, passing that along to consumers.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Regardless, im glad to see it (mostly) be gone. Easily the most negative criticism of pascal, supply is supply but milking money on reference cards was lame as poo poo. You'd have basically no chance convincing me it wasn't a huge part of the reason 1070's listed so much higher than the supposed MSRP, effectively creating a marketable lower price that hasn't existed yet. I know it'll drop once the AIB's start undercutting each other, but I hated it.

Unrelated but I found this very interesting, although not unexpected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44JqNJq-PC0

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

How many of you already have a 1070 or 1080? Wonder when the worst is going to be over.
A bunch of people have them in the thread.

I have an MSI Gaming 8G, the cheaper one (paid $420 shipped or something), and mine at least ocs as well as the more expensive one with higher stock speeds. It's quiet as well. I guess at 100% fan settings the volume picks up a tiny bit and is the loudest thing in my case by a slight bit, but my case is very quiet and the loudest thing that isn't the gpu is some stock 120mm case fans at 800rpm or so. But there's no reason to run 100% fan settings unless you are benchmarking. And it's not loud-loud, about a handful of db higher than an arctic accelero II.

The card runs really cool. Like sub 60c with the highest stable oc under full load if you have an aggressive fan profile cool.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 7, 2016

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Hnnggg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126109&ignorebbr=1

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Mine comes tomorrow: "Estimated delivery: Friday, July 08, 2016 by End of Day"

Guess I know what I'll be doing all weekend. :)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Get your RX480 hotfix while it's hot!

...did anyone in this thread actually buy an RX480?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

and case in point

you know what the premium was for the asus 3 fan cooler that was bigger and handled more heat than this one on the 980ti?

$20

oh well

wait I guess that's $20 over the reference 1070! :v:

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

quote:

Belgium still has no 1070/1080 AIB stock whatsoever still. But then when I go look at webstores in Germany (neighbouring country), they have 10+ stock on almost every single version.. On top of that they are usually around 40€ cheaper :shrug:

I bought mine (1070 MSI Gaming X) from Germany last week. The Krauts haven't left the EU yet, profit while you can.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

repiv posted:

I think pretty much all of us are waiting on the non-reference boards, and considering that they're taking their sweet time with that...

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

repiv posted:

I'm regretting not buying the 4GB 480 @ $170 after coupon code from Jet about now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

repiv posted:

I've seen quite a few people in this thread going for that one. And we should all hope that AMD does well enough, of course.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Beyond the inferiority of the reference blower, from what I read on Tom's Hardware's RX480 power analysis the card is actually set up so that it has more power draw on the slot than on the supplementary connector when the phases are evenly balanced. This suggests that running the slot under 75W with a reference design requires either unbalanced phases or running the entire card well under 150W.

For that reason,

Gonkish posted:

I think pretty much all of us are waiting on the non-reference boards, and considering that they're taking their sweet time with that...

This because I'm hoping to see a reasonably priced AIB model with an 8-pin and an open cooler, and now considering a 1060 also since the 6GB @ $250 price point is appealing and maybe we won't have to wait as long for non-blower coolers. I could stretch for the 1070 but don't like how the MSRP is totally fictional, so hoping to see more good ~$400 AIB open cooler models there.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

repiv posted:

I bought a 480, it's supposed to show up today. I got the 4GB for $170 and it might have 4GB more unlockable, so seems like a deal.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not all bad, somebody's mom has the right idea:

Update: one hour later...

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 7, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-RX-480-Power-Consumption-Concerns-Fixed-1671-Driver

PC Perspective posted:

I no longer believe that consumers should be worried about the stability of their PCs running the RX 480 with the 16.7.1 driver installed.

:)

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

and case in point

you know what the premium was for the asus 3 fan cooler that was bigger and handled more heat than this one on the 980ti?

$20

oh well

wait I guess that's $20 over the reference 1070! :v:

Ha. Yeah, I can't justify paying almost $500 for a video card.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Naffer posted:

I'm regretting not buying the 4GB 480 @ $170 after coupon code from Jet about now.

Same actually, that was a great deal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gonkish posted:

I did before the problems came out, due to savings with free sync monitor, dx 12 gains in Deus Ex and Warhammer, and not wanting to wait. I'm gonna keep it because exchanging it would be too much of a hassle.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

...How is it performing *better* in some cases with compatibility mode on?

More to the point, *why isn't compatibility mode what they shipped with from the beginning*.

Also: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-undervolting-performance_183699

Undervolting *improves* its performance? I want to see corroboration from other sites on this, but :psyduck:

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 7, 2016

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The new driver has more optimizations.

quote:

Undervolting *improves* its performance? I want to see corroboration from other sites on this, but :psyduck:

That actually makes perfect sense (and was reported before). The default voltage is set so the majority of chips pass the test at the stock MHz. If you get lucky with silicon, and it runs stable even with lowered voltage, you now have a card that uses less current, hence produces less heat, hence has more thermal headroom for boosting.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

More to the point, *why isn't compatibility mode what they shipped with from the beginning*.

Also: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-undervolting-performance_183699

Undervolting improving performance has been something that's discussed for the last week or so. Undervolting lowers the heat output so cards are able to hit their 1266 boost more consistently.

So basically, I have no clue why AMD overvolted the card as hard as they did, other than traditional AMD incompetence.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Undervolting improving performance has been something that's discussed for the last week or so. Undervolting lowers the heat output so cards are able to hit their 1266 boost more consistently.

So basically, I have no clue why AMD overvolted the card as hard as they did, other than traditional AMD incompetence.

Well, its really Global Foundries incompetence (which they retain from their days as part of AMD).

The prevailing wisdom is that they were forced to pick a high voltage to salvage the substantial quantities that wouldn't work at the targeted frequency without higher voltage. They just decided to use the same voltage on all the chips.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 7, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Now drop the stock voltage from 1.15 to 1.0875 or even 1.05 if you're lucky, get a 5-8% performance increase and drop another 10-30W depending on workload, and you might have AMDs original design goal for Polaris 10 in sight. There seriously should be a night and day difference between reference trainwreck edition and most custom AIB solutions for the RX480 that'll do all this at the assembly stage.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Atomizer posted:

GPU Megathread - gently caress Belgium

:shobon:

GTXit, Founders Edition?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Gyrotica posted:

GTXit, Founders Edition?

My experience so far poo poo posting on other tech sites lead me to believe it's more RXit. It honestly feels like it makes sense too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Just ordered my acx 3.0 1070. It was the one I wanted and it took 3-4 days of checking nowinstock periodically to get it on newegg (where I pay no tax), not bad at all.

I could have gotten a gigabyte or MSI basically within a couple hours of checking.

Anyone claiming there is no 1070 stock doesn't know what they are talking about. Stores are getting stock every few hours, the demand is just pretty high.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

wicka posted:

really? my G1 isn't loud at all.

Yeah my G1 1070 is quiet too even under full load.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

My experience so far poo poo posting on other tech sites lead me to believe it's more RXit. It honestly feels like it makes sense too.
Yeah, the R series is about to leave the performance market

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So the 1060 will be sold for ~$250 for the 6GB model but how long to wait for 1060s with nice custom coolers? I'm thinking late August. :sigh:

Unless custom RX480 8GB cards are somehow going to be a much better value I'm going to get a 1060 probably an ASUS 1060 because my ASUS 660Ti has been a good trooper for me for over 3 years now.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

spasticColon posted:

So the 1060 will be sold for ~$250 for the 6GB model but how long to wait for 1060s with nice custom coolers? I'm thinking late August. :sigh:

Unless custom RX480 8GB cards are somehow going to be a much better value I'm going to get a 1060 probably an ASUS 1060 because my ASUS 660Ti has been a good trooper for me for over 3 years now.

Custom boards will be available on day 1 for the 1060 from what I've read.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

spasticColon posted:

MSRP is 250, who knows what they'll actually be

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

spasticColon posted:

AIBs are released same day. Why would you expect a 1060 would take so much longer to have custom cards than 1070s with an AIB delay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

repiv posted:

I did but it's stuck in a Canada post warehouse so ill get it never.