Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I'll wait for Rogan to confirm he is leaving. When he was saying he was out if the UFC is sold, I think he may have assumed that a sale was going to mean no more Dana White. I remember him explaining that the only reason he was still with the UFC given his crazy schedule, is because his bosses (meaning Dana) were very cool and easy to work with. Maybe he quits anyway to focus on comedy and his podcast, but I could see him asking Dana how long he's under contract, and if its more than a year, signing consecutive 1 year deals. or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Did they buy out the UAE owners as well? I think that might actually be good for the company.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The UFC sale is confirmed by the buyers now. Zuffa sent this to all fighters.

they spelled world wrong in the email

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

Did they buy out the UAE owners as well? I think that might actually be good for the company.

No, according to the articles I've seen.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fatherdog posted:

I am actually pretty interested in if you think Dennis Hallman is a better fighter than Matt Hughes.

everything is going to be okay, fatherdog.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I've seen Joe a few times at the comedy store and he could use some extra time for material, he's been using the same Caitlyn Jenner bit for at least a year

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I'm on a huge gastelum high right now. He's just skyrocketed since the end of his TUF season and is tough as nails.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

Rogan can be much more candid on Fight Companions because he's not being paid by the UFC for them, it's why he likes them so much. Also Joey Diaz was great and much funnier and more informative than Callen and Schaub combined.

His reaction to Eddie winning the belt was amazing.

*Five Minutes of Loud Scream*

*turns back to a calm tone on a dime*

"I almost had an aneurism there"

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Has hendricks ever talked about moving to 185? I know he only missed by a 1/4 lb but man this is the third time he's missed? He's only 5cm shorter than DC who fought in HW so I don't think he's too short or whatever.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nierbo posted:

Has hendricks ever talked about moving to 185? I know he only missed by a 1/4 lb but man this is the third time he's missed? He's only 5cm shorter than DC who fought in HW so I don't think he's too short or whatever.

He'd be absolutely mauled by guys at 185 though given how small he is comparatively.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I think Hendricks isnt mentally in it anymore, he seems to take losses pretty hard and getting (arguably) robbed against GSP and Lawler the second time has just made him look like crap lately and unmotivated. You could also say its USADA which might be true but he just seems like he doesnt care about improving and guys have figured out his tools

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

His reaction to Eddie winning the belt was amazing.

*Five Minutes of Loud Scream*

*turns back to a calm tone on a dime*

"I almost had an aneurism there"

That's what I was about to post

"HE'S A FUCKIN PIZZA GUY MUTHAFUCKAS"

The companions can be entertaining but when the regular crew is there they hardly talk about the fights. Callen will get called out on some dumb poo poo he says that he half believes, someone will try to provoke a pot saturated Eddie into talking about chemtrails and poo poo, Rogan weed weed medicine weed, Schaub will make a joke that he cribbed from some movie and everyone will laugh, then OH OH OH he's in trouble, he's a savage. Repeat. They really are the most well informed, well traveled, rich group of idiots in the game, I think. I say this as someone who listens to most of the fight companions and the occasional JRE. I confess I also used to listen to Fighter and The Kid.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

@fatherdog seltzer and I had a toxx

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Johny is just done as an elite, it seems. Much too big for LW, a little too big for WW without changing his lifestyle which he's obviously unwilling to do, way too small for MW.

DC might be short in height for a LHW and former Heavy, but his body is gigantic. He's like a ball of muscle and/or fat if you want to be mean. He's a way bigger human being than Hendricks.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm sure the private equity groups and hedge funds will make sure the fighters get paid

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FishBowlRobot posted:

That's what I was about to post

"HE'S A FUCKIN PIZZA GUY MUTHAFUCKAS"

The companions can be entertaining but when the regular crew is there they hardly talk about the fights. Callen will get called out on some dumb poo poo he says that he half believes, someone will try to provoke a pot saturated Eddie into talking about chemtrails and poo poo, Rogan weed weed medicine weed, Schaub will make a joke that he cribbed from some movie and everyone will laugh, then OH OH OH he's in trouble, he's a savage. Repeat. They really are the most well informed, well traveled, rich group of idiots in the game, I think. I say this as someone who listens to most of the fight companions and the occasional JRE. I confess I also used to listen to Fighter and The Kid.

I see it as no different than any other group of people watching fights at home and just shooting the poo poo. Some of the stuff they talk about can be interesting but its also done at times in such an awkward way that it just comes across as that. Callen saying outlandish poo poo and getting them riled up is always pretty funny to me because I feel he knows its outlandish and just wants to get them to react.

Also his gay brazilian co-commentator bit he did with Joe on one Fight Companion was pretty amazing. I forget which one it was, but he and Joe did a fun bit with it for a round of some fight.

Edit - Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkpiU_q-9OY&t=5115s

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 11, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

manyak posted:

I think Hendricks isnt mentally in it anymore, he seems to take losses pretty hard and getting (arguably) robbed against GSP and Lawler the second time has just made him look like crap lately and unmotivated. You could also say its USADA which might be true but he just seems like he doesnt care about improving and guys have figured out his tools

i find it so strange that the guy who could outbox robbie in exchanges is worse than kelvin and got humiliated by wonderboy*. usada is a convenient explanation, but it's not the whole story.

* kelvin and wonderboy are both very good.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Nierbo posted:

I'm on a huge gastelum high right now. He's just skyrocketed since the end of his TUF season and is tough as nails.

Maia > Magny > Gastelum > Hendricks > GSP

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Fozzy The Bear posted:

It is almost as if you have to look at a fighter's career to determine who the better fighter is...

Then it's aldo, easily

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

I was a big Hendricks fan but this was the last time I'll be upset at his performance

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Also, the new owners of the UFC also are Ronda and other major fighters' management.

Lol is this true? I thought Rhonda was managed by Malki for some reason

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

vainman posted:

Lol is this true? I thought Rhonda was managed by Malki for some reason

As soon as she signed with the UFC she signed on with William Morris.

Marching Powder posted:

i find it so strange that the guy who could outbox robbie in exchanges is worse than kelvin and got humiliated by wonderboy*. usada is a convenient explanation, but it's not the whole story.

* kelvin and wonderboy are both very good.

He's a tubby bitch and a combination of aging, a fighting career taking a toll on his body, and loss in motivation due to losses has made him totally uncommitted to dieting/staying at a healthy weight. I don't think it's all that complicated, prior to the ban he always had trouble making the weight even though I don't think he outright missed it until the Woodley fight that never happened.

Also I only caught UFC 200 and fell asleep during the Brock fight only to wake up to Nunes being a champion, and I really don't care enough to go back to watch it. Joanna/Claudia sounds epic though, is it worth the watch?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

handsome only face posted:

I was a big Hendricks fan but this was the last time I'll be upset at his performance

Big dissssappppoinment

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1st AD posted:

He's a tubby bitch and a combination of aging, a fighting career taking a toll on his body, and loss in motivation due to losses has made him totally uncommitted to dieting/staying at a healthy weight. I don't think it's all that complicated, prior to the ban he always had trouble making the weight even though I don't think he outright missed it until the Woodley fight that never happened.

Also I only caught UFC 200 and fell asleep during the Brock fight only to wake up to Nunes being a champion, and I really don't care enough to go back to watch it. Joanna/Claudia sounds epic though, is it worth the watch?

It's easily the best fight of that division, really has a lot of momentum shift and has JJ coming back from adversity. Also features Claudia being a tremendous bitch after the fight when JJ tried to make peace which was great.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

1st AD posted:

She was also sponsored by the UFC themselves for a while. It's not like the UFC haven't looked a little more kindly on those who'll make them money consistently, I don't think much will change even considering all of that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

That DICK! posted:

I've seen Joe a few times at the comedy store and he could use some extra time for material, he's been using the same Caitlyn Jenner bit for at least a year

There's a radio DJ out here that draws a big crowd for his stand-up shows and his closer is a bit about Shakeweight. People love it. People are idiots.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

funny how Malki Kawa represents Frank Mir, Yoel Romero & Jon Jones. Ariel is interviewing him later and I can't stand listening to him but at the same time I want to hear what phony excuses for Jon will be made

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

hahahaha what the gently caress

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Remember when Dana managed Chuck, and then the Fertittas bought the company and put him in charge and he immediately stopped managing Chuck because it'd be a conflict of interest?

How does literally every promoter in MMA continuously fail to clear the incredibly low bar of "is as ethical as Dana White and the Fertitta brothers"?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

-Atom- posted:

Is that a giant moonstone built into that end table?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

fatherdog posted:

Remember when Dana managed Chuck, and then the Fertittas bought the company and put him in charge and he immediately stopped managing Chuck because it'd be a conflict of interest?

How does literally every promoter in MMA continuously fail to clear the incredibly low bar of "is as ethical as Dana White and the Fertitta brothers"?

I think ultimately Dana and the Ferttitas really do love the sport and it's gonna be interesting to see if the WME group is going to do discretionary bonuses or bump fighter pay.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fatherdog posted:

Lol

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hey, I made this thread for newbies who might still be interested in MMA after UFC 200 but don't know or care about the pedantic poo poo we discuss in this thread. I hope it is useful for someone!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782863

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Now that Joe Rogan I'd gone the ufc is ruined

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

I see it as no different than any other group of people watching fights at home and just shooting the poo poo. Some of the stuff they talk about can be interesting but its also done at times in such an awkward way that it just comes across as that. Callen saying outlandish poo poo and getting them riled up is always pretty funny to me because I feel he knows its outlandish and just wants to get them to react.

Also his gay brazilian co-commentator bit he did with Joe on one Fight Companion was pretty amazing. I forget which one it was, but he and Joe did a fun bit with it for a round of some fight.

Edit - Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkpiU_q-9OY&t=5115s

Yeah, I kind of agree with that. Friends have their own patterns, jokes, etc. I guess I just get tired of having to hear their same routine every single time, and a lot of TFATK is dedicated to Schaub/Callen sucking each other off. Sometimes they do point out there's a part of Callen that actually believes some of the dumb poo poo he says, i.e. the multiple instances of him trying to wrestle Schaub. I stopped listening to their podcast awhile back but I am curious how their show turned out.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

-Atom- posted:

This is also kind of funny because the Fertittas are quite prominent art collectors and this is what he chooses to display in his office.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Chael is on Joe Rogan's podcast right now and is talking about his first meeting with the Piss Collector. it sounds horrifying. tl;dr: version is the guy shows up with no identification, leads Chael to a dirty janitor's closet, and asks Chael to show him his penis.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bubba Smith posted:

Chael is on Joe Rogan's podcast right now and is talking about his first meeting with the Piss Collector. it sounds horrifying. tl;dr: version is the guy shows up with no identification, leads Chael to a dirty janitor's closet, and asks Chael to show him his penis.

No identification? Wow, that does sound scary. Also really easy to do, make a fighter show you his wiener in a closet, for anyone. Did Chael say of this guy ever showed ID or credentials after? Did he wear a special uniform, and if so what color? Just asking for a friend, this sounds interesting.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bubba Smith posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Uncle Jack, I'm very aware of what professional wrestling is...

• Locked thread