Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Does BS have some kind of alarm set up for when people try to actually talk about books in this thread.

pls Mr. Squishy I have no real friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

blue squares posted:

pls Mr. Squishy I have no real friends

I'll be your friend

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

A human heart posted:

He's not a Marxist(sadly..) but Ayi Kwei Armah has some good poo poo about history in Two Thousand Seasons, the book is subtitled 'a novel' but the tone is like some kind of afrocentric religious text only for initiates, and it's anti religion, anti monarchist, anti colonialist and he describes Arabs as 'predators' and Europeans as 'destroyers'. Africans who collaborate with colonialism are called 'zombies'.

This sounds like my jam. Duly noted.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

Yes, I am the Raymond carver fan

Cool, Cathedral is in the little street library by my house, I'll pick it up.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I didn't learn until six months ago that Raymond Carver and Raymond Chandler were different people

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I really wish Amazon would get a kindle version of Leon Forrest's works. I'm really curious about that 'There is a tree more ancient than Eden'

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Pssh, a kindle reader? *Holds nose* We don't allow your kind here *wipes stain off shirt with first edition Proust*.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Barbara Kingsolver mostly enjoyed Dave Eggars new book about a family going to Alaska.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Franchescanado posted:

Looks like Barbara Kingsolver mostly enjoyed Dave Eggars new book about a family going to Alaska.

this was my high school english experience

zeitoun, bean trees, animal dreams

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

Pssh, a kindle reader? *Holds nose* We don't allow your kind here *wipes stain off shirt with first edition Proust*.

I read both physical books and ebooks. often times english language lit is easier to get on a kindle for me because it takes a good long while for them to get available up here in northern europe, and sometimes they're not available at all like with Leon Forrest

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Raymond Carver and Raymond Chandler [are] different people

wait what

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What we talk about when we talk about mixed-up dames.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ulvir posted:

I read both physical books and ebooks. often times english language lit is easier to get on a kindle for me because it takes a good long while for them to get available up here in northern europe, and sometimes they're not available at all like with Leon Forrest

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0226257215/ref=la_B001H6L2EE_1_7_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1469490114&sr=1-7 ?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That's what I said. I never even noticed the names were different. Now I don't know what I've been reading.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ulvir posted:

i got mine off betterworldbooks or somewhere like that, and he's really good.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I am reading "Waist High in the World" by Nancy Kain. It's really good but saddening

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
You guys better hope that Knausgård's newest book, Om våren (In Spring, or something like that) gets translated, because it's so drat good. Mostly about parenthood, but there should be enough about mental illness in there to satisfy any goon.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mr. Squishy posted:

What we talk about when we talk about mixed-up dames.

I was really confused watching Birdman and wondering why a noir author had a story about people sitting around talking about love

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Smoking Crow posted:

Yes, I am the Raymond carver fan

Raymond Carver correctly understands that life is a sad succession of tragic moments punctuated by drinking, and 162% of marriages end in divorce or infanticide. Raymond Carver was born drinking as a baby and even dead he is drinking still.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Does Ovid make a continuous narrative out of a whole bunch of Greek myths in Metamorphoses? That was the thing I heard that made me put it on my list.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Zorodius posted:

Raymond Carver correctly understands that life is a sad succession of tragic moments punctuated by drinking, and 162% of marriages end in divorce or infanticide. Raymond Carver was born drinking as a baby and even dead he is drinking still.

I like how Cheever carved a niche in '50s-60s American Literature by being the only guy who didn't write about divorce constantly. I guess there must have been a teetotal writer too but they're not coming to mind.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

if amazon would ever use regular mail instead of a courier I would legit grab one of these

A human heart posted:

i got mine off betterworldbooks or somewhere like that, and he's really good.

do they use USPS for international shipping?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Should I start a Non-Fiction thread or would that be dead in the water?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

There's already a non-fiction thread and I guess the answer is sorta yes but it's not fallen into the archives yet!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ulvir posted:

if amazon would ever use regular mail instead of a courier I would legit grab one of these

do they use USPS for international shipping?

I guess? I just got it in the mail. All their shipping is free which is cool because I'm in New Zealand and shipping here is usually insane even for a small book.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

oh that's pretty sweet

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Amazon's delivered by normal mail all the time. My friend's a mailman, and Amazon is helping keep the US Postal System afloat.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

anyway I just finished Skylark by Kosztolanyi or whatever and it was pretty cool

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Someone in this thread said they wanted to get a goon to read The Egyptian, so I put in an order for an inter-library loan. It's been in transit since then and is possibly lost in the wastes of the rural countryside (why a rural library had a copy I don't know). I don't even know what it's about and at this point am wondering if it's even a real book.

Anyway, I finished the elf wizard BOTM, and now I don't know what to read next since random goon book hasn't arrived. Help me, non-childs: I have A Little Life and Goat Mountain. I need a book to take on the commute to work in the morning but can't decide - which one?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm reading the Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton and it is extremely good so far. I had read the Luminaries last year which was also good although I think I am enjoying this one better because it is a little smaller in scale and a lot easier to savor. It is about a scandal with a music teacher molesting his student and the fallout from that, but also it is obvious that we are seeing a play being put on about it at the same time, which allows for some interesting scenes with double meanings about "playing roles" etc. Really looking forward to her future output.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
The Sun Also Rises is an ordeal. Most of the book is excruciatingly slow, and you just sit there wishing every character would be trampled by bulls.

The best parts are when he's just chilling by a mountain stream, drinking wine, and having manly friendships where you only speak three words all day and leave each other the gently caress alone to fish.

Other Hemingway books are much better; TSAR really shouldn't be as highly rated as it is.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zorodius posted:

The Sun Also Rises is an ordeal. Most of the book is excruciatingly slow, and you just sit there wishing every character would be trampled by bulls.

The best parts are when he's just chilling by a mountain stream, drinking wine, and having manly friendships where you only speak three words all day and leave each other the gently caress alone to fish.

Other Hemingway books are much better; TSAR really shouldn't be as highly rated as it is.

Manly emotions

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

TSAR is actually pretty good, but his best work is a farewell to arms imo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zorodius posted:

I felt similar during my read-through a few years ago, but the bull-fighting scenes are excellent and full of amazing details.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

TSAR is actually pretty good, but his best work is a farewell to arms imo

old man and the sea

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I should probably read more hemmingway

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
If it isn't in Latin I'm not reading it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Hemingway is the strong silent man version of those Reader's Digest survival stories

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
For Whom the Bell Tolls is his best because he didn't translate the Spanish insults too well so there's a lot of lines like"I obscenity in the milk of your mother"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I read A Moveable Feast and Hemingway sure did come across like a complete dickhead.