Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Working at an MSP I enjoyed the occasion when a client who didn't know anything about computers asked how / and \ were different, and why both are used when it's so confusing.

Turns out she really didn't want to know the answer when I started explaining it to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Working at an MSP I enjoyed the occasion when a client who didn't know anything about computers asked how / and \ were different, and why both are used when it's so confusing.

Turns out she really didn't want to know the answer when I started explaining it to her.

Why are both used? Why do we need a | to go both ways?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tigren posted:

Directional pipes, duh!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
You can't do those text-mode \|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/- spinners without a backslash.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tigren posted:

From what I understand, Windows decided to (was forced to) differentiate from other OS's by using / as it's parameter delimiter. ipconfig /all, for example. So then it needed to use \ for directories so the OS didn't confuse folders with parameters.

If Windows just used - like everything else, we probably wouldn't have to worry about two directional slashes.

E: Which reminds me, the application support guys here, who constantly use linux and unix variations, all call - "minus". They run command minus a minus t minus capital P. Maybe it's because I've never heard that one before but it made me irrationally angry.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 27, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Powershell owns.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

From what I understand, Windows decided to (was forced to) differentiate from other OS's by using / as it's parameter delimiter. ipconfig /all, for example. So then it needed to use \ for directories so the OS didn't confuse folders with parameters.

If Windows just used - like everything else, we probably wouldn't have to worry about two directional slashes.

E: Which reminds me, the application support guys here, who constantly use linux and unix variations, all call - "minus". They run command minus a minus t minus capital P. Maybe it's because I've never heard that one before but it made me irrationally angry.

File structures, and escape characters as well.

One of these days I am going to try and explain escape characters to someone who asks me about backslash, just to watch their brains bluescreen.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

CLAM DOWN posted:

Powershell owns.

This is what i find funny, / was used forever in dos/cli, but now let's switch to - as our delimiter for powershell.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MF_James posted:

This is what i find funny, / was used forever in dos/cli, but now let's switch to - as our delimiter for powershell.

Hasn't the MS ecosystem actually accepted - for command line switches for years now, like since XP?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Hasn't the MS ecosystem actually accepted - for command line switches for years now, like since XP?

Not for legacy commands, like one I just used for example: nltest /sc_verify:domain

Definitely does not work with a -

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I thought it went from top to bottom?

It's both. If the backslash was a slide it would send you forward along the line, whereas the forward slash would send you backwards. Ergo, they are flipped.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

NippleFloss posted:

It's both. If the backslash was a slide it would send you forward along the line, whereas the forward slash would send you backwards. Ergo, they are flipped.

nah brah

Start at |. Tip it forward. / forward slash.

Now take | and tip it backward. \ backslash.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RFC2324 posted:

Actually, I just went back and it seems, yes, you can use - in place of /. I didn't realize that, the help info for ipconfig specifically uses / but it seems that - also works, whereas the help for some other applications specifically call - but / works in its place. Seems they are interchangeable at this point, but my head is so ingrained with / for certain things and - for others that I never realized it.

*edit*

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not for legacy commands, like one I just used for example: nltest /sc_verify:domain

seems that what I said above is not universally true.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
sed s/${p1//\//\\/}/${p2//\//\\/}/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MF_James posted:

Actually, I just went back and it seems, yes, you can use - in place of /. I didn't realize that, the help info for ipconfig specifically uses / but it seems that - also works, whereas the help for some other applications specifically call - but / works in its place. Seems they are interchangeable at this point, but my head is so ingrained with / for certain things and - for others that I never realized it.

*edit*

seems that what I said above is not universally true.

I know that all the docs still say to use /, but I am used to - as a unix guy, and don't think I have ever run into an issue.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I never use commands like this, so never had a chance to test. Good to know in case I am ever working on a legacy Windows box(I hope I never do)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I never use commands like this, so never had a chance to test. Good to know in case I am ever working on a legacy Windows box(I hope I never do)

Sometimes it feels like MS is never going to move on from some of the legacy stuff. But, then again, things like netsh are being deprecated so who really knows with them.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Is that a capital backslash, or a lower case one?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Is that a capital backslash, or a lower case one?

You joke, but I once told a client that forward slash is a lowercase question mark.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

The Fool posted:

You joke, but I once told a client that forward slash is a lowercase question mark.

I don't joke. I have been asked that question. I used to do tier 1 computer support for PCs that were sold at Walmart.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
How to instruct a user to use the forward slash depending on arrogance level. the descriptions start sounding less childish, but are actually more childish as they go on:

Secretary: "It's the one that goes from lower left to upper right"

Lawyer: "It's next to the right shift key"

CEO: "lower case question mark"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How to instruct a user to use the forward slash depending on arrogance level. the descriptions start sounding less childish, but are actually more childish as they go on:

HR: You know what, just right click this then press copy then right click and press paste
email: /

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Network Engineer(Yes I had someone claiming to be a NetEng who couldn't figure out backslash): :smithicide:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

No matter what you tell them the correct answer is always going to be "no, the other one"

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
"Backslash is the one next to backspace"--worked for our users.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"I only use an exclamation point to end sentences, it's more assertive."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have a whole lot of punctuation, a whole lot of punctuation, you see? And they don't want me to use it. And they're going to tell you that I shouldn't. But you know what? We're gonna make good sentences. We're gonna make good sentences and we're gonna take our grammar back.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Judge Schnoopy posted:

nah brah

Start at |. Tip it forward. / forward slash.

Now take | and tip it backward. \ backslash.

But what if you put the hinge at the top?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I love some of the old software we use where the user types in what they want and can have it auto complete, but it expects & and | for AND and OR. Everyone ran reports multiple times until I showed them the power of the pipe. This saved a hilarious amount of man hours not having to print out 4-5 reports then cross reference the reports, and add anything that appears in multiple reports using a calculator then throwing that into an excel sheet that is mostly being used to make a table because what is =SUM(B2:K2)

They only ran this mess once a year but it took 80 hours and now the computer does it and they run it quarterly. It's still a bunch of info to parse apparently but it doesn't take 4 people half a week to make it happen.

Pipe is a great key, and I love that everyone knows what it is here now, but backslash still confuses them. "Hold shift and press pipe" does work though. (I find if I say capitol a small number of people just press caps lock)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I hope you never learn about the zillion types of dashes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

em dash supremacy

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Guys, / is just a regular slash. It's the one you use to write fractions in-line, and to list alternatives if you aren't insane. Since / is the regular one, \ is the backwards one.

Very simple.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Holy poo poo :staredog:

MF_James
May 8, 2008

gtfooooooooooooooooooo

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I had a bit of a moment earlier today where I was like "I wish things x and y about my job were better" but good grief that post sure put things in perspective.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
My situation was similar in high school, but I wasn't gonna grouse about someone being dumb enough to hire a 16-year-old sysadmin in the first place. gently caress anyone who pulls this poo poo with grown-rear end adults just because they can.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

RFC2324 posted:

File structures, and escape characters as well.

One of these days I am going to try and explain escape characters to someone who asks me about backslash, just to watch their brains bluescreen.

I had to explain pvdm3 conference credits to a doctors assistant over the phone and I'm sure she hung up with hatred for me.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I am an (really, the) IT manager with 9 direct reports. I report to the CIO. I still spend a lot of time in the weeds. My former CIO was also the information security officer, despite a low amount of technical knowledge. He is retiring and the new guy is interested in designating a new ISO from my team. We probably aren't big enough for a FTE dedicated to it yet, so he initially offered it to me, but I thought it would be too much of a conflict to do with my current responsibilities. My two highest level techs both kind of waffled at the idea due to the extra stress, and I don't want to dig any further down. Do you guys think it would be a good career move to dump some of my existing technical duties to take on the ISO duties? I already do a lot of the duties you would associate with it, but don't currently have to worry about being the face of a security incident. I'd keep my management responsibilities. If you think I should do it, how much of a bump should I ask for?

I realize that you don't have all of the necessary information, but hopefully I have given enough here. I work at a ~$3b community bank and already make enough that I could coast by on a 3% raise every year and retire comfortably. Obviously, everyone wants to make more, and I am no exception.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Give some goony low ranking kid the title of cyber terrorism analyst for $11 an hour, throw him in the deep end, and scapegoat him whenever necessary.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Give some goony low ranking kid the title of cyber terrorism analyst for $11 an hour, throw him in the deep end, and scapegoat him whenever necessary.

Applicants outside SanFran need not apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
That's funny, I only hit post once.